PDA

View Full Version : Wake me up...when November begins.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Starting in 2003, November became my favorite month. On November 23rd of that year, I started going out with my current girlfriend, and her birthday is on November 10th.

In October of 2004 I was depressed about a few things. Jimmy Eat World came out with a song called "Futures" on their album carrying the same name. The lyrics went, "I always believed in futures...I hope for better...in November." It reminded me that once November came, everything would be okay.

This November has not been any different, minus one major event. Bailee's birthday was fantastic. I threw her a surprise party, causing her to cry. Nintendo WiFi has kicked off, and regardless of what goKi says, it will not be long before I get online. Lots of good videogames and good CDs are coming out. On the 23rd, Bailee and I will be celebrating our two year anniversary. On the 24th, Thanksgiving...and come on...who does not love Thanksgiving?

Anyways...

Thursday, I received a phone call in reference to the car that I won from Dr. Pepper. According to the woman, I will be able to pick it up a week from Thursday, which would be Thanksgiving, to two weeks from Thursday. The guy from the dealership is supposed to be calling me tomorrow morning, to fill me in on the details. I might be able to get it sooner.

When it does arrive, I will put up some pictures in this thread.

Here are some interesting things I found googling...

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/content/1/17923/Man+wins+MINI+Cooper.htm

http://www.adpulp.com/archives/2005/07/75_to_get_lost.php

http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthoughts_comments/150_0_3_0_C/

Heh. Whether people believe it or not, it is very real.

To sum this thread up, let me ask you a few questions.

Do you ever participate in contests or sweepstakes?

What are some things that have happened in November that were awesome, or are going to happen in November?

What is your favorite month of the year, and how come?

DarkDragoonX
11-18-2005, 11:48 AM
On the 24th, Thanksgiving...and come on...who does not love Thanksgiving?

Me. It's the time of year I'm more or less forced to interact with a bevy of "family members" to whom I am only loosely related, and whose very existence I am neutral towards at best.

And I'm supposed to be friendly and sociable towards these people all weekend? Thanksgiving sucks.

Darth Marsden
11-18-2005, 12:37 PM
On the 24th, Thanksgiving...and come on...who does not love Thanksgiving?Me. We don't celebrate it in the UK. Unless you count fireworks keeping everybody up till 3 in the morning, but that's nothing unusual this time of year.

moocow
11-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I love Thanksgiving. It's one of the few times during the year I get to see my Uncle Bill. Plus, I love to cook sooo... yeah. November is a cool month cause that's when Bladen was born (a year and two days ago!).

October is my favorite month. Cool breeze, clear skies (sometimes), all the colors, and Halloween. I love it.

Darth Marsden
11-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Dammit Moo, you broke the pattern! :p

Could someone explain what exactly Thanksgiving is? All I really know is that it's an excuse for TV Specials, but I suspect that it's probably got more significance then that and I can't be bothered to Google it. Anyone care to help me out here?

biggiy05
11-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Dammit Moo, you broke the pattern! :p

Could someone explain what exactly Thanksgiving is? All I really know is that it's an excuse for TV Specials, but I suspect that it's probably got more significance then that and I can't be bothered to Google it. Anyone care to help me out here?

Over here in the states it is when everyone gets together. They let a turkey out in the backyard and everyone chases it until someone catches it.

This is the time when the pilgrims started getting along with the indians and they all had a giant feast and a massive orgy after everyone ate.

Darth Marsden
11-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Ah, right. That'd be why we don't celebrate it over here. Thanks. Now the Terrance and Phillip specials make sense. Much obliged to you, good sir.

Archibaldo
11-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Starting in 2003, November became my favorite month. On November 23rd of that year, I started going out with my current girlfriend, and her birthday is on November 10th.

In October of 2004 I was depressed about a few things. Jimmy Eat World came out with a song called "Futures" on their album carrying the same name. The lyrics went, "I always believed in futures...I hope for better...in November." It reminded me that once November came, everything would be okay.

This November has not been any different, minus one major event. Bailee's birthday was fantastic. I threw her a surprise party, causing her to cry. Nintendo WiFi has kicked off, and regardless of what goKi says, it will not be long before I get online. Lots of good videogames and good CDs are coming out. On the 23rd, Bailee and I will be celebrating our two year anniversary. On the 24th, Thanksgiving...and come on...who does not love Thanksgiving?

Anyways...

Thursday, I received a phone call in reference to the car that I won from Dr. Pepper. According to the woman, I will be able to pick it up a week from Thursday, which would be Thanksgiving, to two weeks from Thursday. The guy from the dealership is supposed to be calling me tomorrow morning, to fill me in on the details. I might be able to get it sooner.

When it does arrive, I will put up some pictures in this thread.

Here are some interesting things I found googling...

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/content/1/17923/Man+wins+MINI+Cooper.htm

http://www.adpulp.com/archives/2005/07/75_to_get_lost.php

http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthoughts_comments/150_0_3_0_C/

Heh. Whether people believe it or not, it is very real.

To sum this thread up, let me ask you a few questions.

Do you ever participate in contests or sweepstakes?

What are some things that have happened in November that were awesome, or are going to happen in November?

What is your favorite month of the year, and how come?

I've never actually participated in contests. Mainly because I live in Quebec and we're excluded from every contest.

My favorite month is December. Because of Christmas.

AtmaWeapon
11-18-2005, 02:55 PM

It's not really hard to do research for yourself, but I will take this opportunity to point out the page I used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving) for this brief summary.

The pilgrims made it to North America, but did not have many supplies. Winter was approaching, and the pilgrims did not have the resources to survive. Many died. Then, a group of Indians approached the pilgrims. The pilgrims decided that these guys probably knew a thing or two about living in North America so decided to make friends. After their first harvest, the pilgrims decided to have a big feast to give thanks to God for providing them the means for survival. They invited the Indians too because what's a party without friends?

Really it makes sense why other countries don't celebrate it; it is rooted in US history.

Anyway fantastic luck Archibaldo. I participate in contests from time to time and I once won a Sega Saturn in some Blockbuster contest but that is pretty much my largest prize. I keep eating crappy Lunchmakers Pizza things in the hopes of winning the prize in their contest but so far I have had no luck.

Machiavelli
11-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I like Thanksgiving for the food. Dislike it for the whole 'family time' thing.
My favourite month is which ever one I'm in. Right now, it's November. I have no idea of what's going to happen though. And I've never participated in sweepstakes or anything. I get this idea in my head that I probably won't win.

biggiy05
11-18-2005, 11:41 PM
I like Thanksgiving for the food. Dislike it for the whole 'family time' thing.

You are awesome! I have never been a true fan of the family time, I just wanted to go eat then get out of there.

Machiavelli
11-19-2005, 12:05 AM
You are awesome! I have never been a true fan of the family time, I just wanted to go eat then get out of there.It's not that I don't like the ideaof family time, my family is just... ...too interesting.

My aunts sure can cook though. Not only will I be having more than one Thanksgiving, but I get the best of both worlds as well. First, there's the Trini food. And since I plan on going to the house of at least three family members, thats all the better for me. Then over the weekend, when we go upstate, my other aunt cooks all that soul food like collard greens. :D

biggiy05
11-19-2005, 12:18 AM
It's not that I don't like the ideaof family time, my family is just... ...too interesting.

My aunts sure can cook though. Not only will I be having more than one Thanksgiving, but I get the best of both worlds as well. First, there's the Trini food. And since I plan on going to the house of at least three family members, thats all the better for me. Then over the weekend, when we go upstate, my other aunt cooks all that American food like collard greens. :D

I will stick to the basic stuff. Turkey, mashed potatos, salad, all the good stuff. I love christmas dinners especially when there is honey ham there. *drool*

phattonez
11-19-2005, 12:21 AM
What are some things that have happened in November that were awesome, or are going to happen in November? November sweeps. Pathetic attempts by television to get higher ratings (i.e. SNL in the 80's). It's always fun to see Conan make fun of it.

Machiavelli
11-19-2005, 12:26 AM
I will stick to the basic stuff. Turkey, mashed potatos, salad, all the good stuff. I love christmas dinners especially when there is honey ham there. *drool*Well, I don't eat ham, but I do eat all that other stuff + stuff you've probably never heard of. Plus, my cousin's father is from Yemen. I don't really like their food that much, but their desserts and stuff are good.

Beldaran
11-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Being a single man living alone in an apartment, it's accurate to say that my diet blows ass. Oh sure, it's healthy as hell... but who really enjoys eating a can of beans and some canned spinache for dinner? I can't WAIT to go home this coming week and pig the fuck out on my mom's awesome, beautiful cooking.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-19-2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah...my sister and I used to hate Thanksgiving, because my mom would make us eat leftovers for like...two weeks.

Now she loves it because she is starving.

How can you forget...Dallas Cowboy football? :)

Lilith
11-19-2005, 03:49 AM
November is a lovely month. Late fall and early winter are my favorite time of year I think. All the holiday build-up, the massive surge of appetite and good food, clear air to get rid of fall allergies, and it's just awesome. I've always wanted to get married in November for some reason, also I think it would be a cool name for a girl but w/e. Random.

Brasel
11-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, there are Thanksgiving decorations up in our chow hall over here. Great guys, thanks for reminding us that we won't be at home with our families. I actually like the family thing about Thanksgiving. I didn't used to, but then I got a bit older and started thinking differently.

I don't particularly have a favorite month or anything, and I really can't think of anything special about November except that its my wife's birthmonth.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-20-2005, 05:15 AM
You guys get to watch the televised Thanksgiving games, don't you? Maybe that will make you feel slightly better, when all of America salutes you.

What does everyone usually do on Thanksgiving?

I usually:
Catch the Dallas Cowboy game.
Go shopping for all of the electronics that are for sale.
Catch some movies.
Eat my mother's wonderful cooking.

Most of the family and friends usually swing by here. :)