PDA

View Full Version : Is Zelda Classic compatible with the PSP?

javeryh
11-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I'd love to take some of the homebrew quests on the road with me. I've got a v.1.5 PSP with the SNES emulator installed - is it possible to play the zeldaclassic games on there?

Tygore
11-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Um, no. ZC is a program for PC. It has nothing to do with the SNES. At all.

javeryh
11-18-2005, 12:15 AM
So is there a way to get it running on the PSP? I don't have time to play these great user-made quests at home because I am on the road a lot... Any help would be great! Thanks.

Tygore
11-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Can PSP play other PC executable files? The answer to that is the answer to your question.

Saffith
11-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Actually, someone is working on an x86 emulator for the PSP.
http://www.hacker.co.il/psp/bochs/
At this point, though, ZC would probably be pretty slow if it ran at all.

MottZilla
11-18-2005, 02:58 AM
No, and no Zelda Classic will never be available for PSP. Zelda Classic is maintained on PC platforms, porting to platforms like PSP, which are far different and not as powerful, would be more work than anyone would put into it. This is similar to the questions that ask about DS and GBA ports. It ain't gonna happen. Maybe "GBA2" or something later on that has the power to emulate an x86 machine running DOS, or if ZC becomes open source and someone takes the long ass time to port it to another platform.

Tygore
11-18-2005, 03:02 AM
I've heard that, with a WiFi computer and the right programs, you can use the "DS Download Play" option to patch your DS. I would not, however, reccomend it.

jman2050
11-18-2005, 09:06 AM
No.

MottZilla
11-20-2005, 04:44 AM
I've heard that, with a WiFi computer and the right programs, you can use the "DS Download Play" option to patch your DS. I would not, however, reccomend it.

If you want to know about running homebrew programs on your DS system ask me. Currently there are several emulators and homebrew games. Infact Super Metroid even runs full speed with sound on a SNES emulator for DS. However it ofcourse isn't perfect, it has alot of graphical issues but you can actually play through it beginning to end.

For DS homebrew (and commercial R0|\/|Z) you'll need to bypass the DS software boot somehow. Initially the best way is a device called "PassMe" which is like a game genie phsyically, you plug a DS game card in it, and the PassMe in the DS slot on the system. You then need to have a GBA Flash Cartridge to store DS programs on to run with the PassMe. And once you have PassMe, you can use that to install FlashME, a firmwire hack for the DS which allows booting DS software from the GBA slot without a PassMe device. It also does some other neat stuff.

If you are specifically interested in more Tygore, you can PM me.

Linkman90
11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
IN THEORY, if somone with the source code took the time, then MAYBE there could be a homebrewn ZC for the PSP. Hell, somone made DOOM with full WAD capibitiles for the PSP. However, it would require access to the source code, knowlage of PSP coding, and time, which many people don't have any of. :P

ZeldaLord
11-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Not to mention come up with a good excuse to give Nintendo for releasing Zelda on a rival console. :sweat:

System_Hacker
11-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Well theres a system called GP2X thats coming out soon but not in stores u have to order it online its 180'00$ us but i don know if it will run ZC i know it will run an emulator but it also run mp3s movies so even if Zc doesn work u still got all the cool stuff also IT Runs on two AA Battries

MottZilla
11-22-2005, 02:34 AM
GP2X uses an ARM family CPU and has no support for allegro however it does support SDL and a proper resolution. If ZC were ported to SDL, a port to GP2X would not be a far stretch. But ports to systems without good support for common libraries like allegro are alot more involved and therefore less likely.

jman2050
11-22-2005, 09:26 AM
A DS Port is out of the question unless the code were rewritten to stream data from a flash card. 4MB of RAM is LOL-worthy amounts of RAM to run ZC in. PSP is more viable, but no.

MottZilla
11-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Running programs on DS isn't hard at all. And ya you'd run from some kind of GBA Flash Device. 4MB of RAM, even if you really get good memory management, I don't think ZC can really squeeze in there. Esspecially since that 4MB has to also include the executable.