PDA

View Full Version : No hype?

ONeilcool
11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
The xbox 360 comes out...tomorrow if i remember correctly. There was more hype about it when it was first annouced. I havent heard anybody talk about it in months and I just realized it was coming out. Shouldnt it be a bigger deal?

Beldaran
11-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Xbox 360: Slightly better graphics, massively more expensive, same games as before.

I'd get one if I had the money, only because I really enjoy racing, sports, and FPS games. (my three favorite genres by far). But I'm not going to push my budget to get one because I don't have a HD TV so there is no real incentive to get slightly better 3d graphics on the same types of games I already own for the xbox.

algam86
11-16-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't like the XBox. It's the most powerful system, sure, but I don't think most of the games are worth buying one. Some are good, and exclusive to that system and PC, some are multi-platform, so I don't need one for those, and others aren't good enough to bother buying one. And isn't the 360 like, over $300 or something? That's way too expensive for a system I probably won't use much. I'll stick with the PS2 until the PS3 comes out later this life.

Beldaran
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
The PS3 is going to very expensive too, you know. Also, by the time it actually comes out it will be more expensive than the 360 most likely, as the 360 will have come down from its launch price.

Daarkseid
11-16-2005, 11:09 PM
The xbox 360 comes out...tomorrow if i remember correctly. There was more hype about it when it was first annouced. I havent heard anybody talk about it in months and I just realized it was coming out. Shouldnt it be a bigger deal?

Not sure where you've been hiding out, if its been this place exclusively, this is more of a nintendo-centric board. So little hype for competing systems.

Grasshopper
11-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Its comes out on Nov 22nd. Not Nov 17th. And this board may not have hype, but believe me, theres hype. I'm almost sick of it. I don't want to see, hear, or play anything 360 now, cause I'm tired of it all.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2005, 01:16 AM
I don't really care. In my opinion the Xbox 360 has already defeated the PS3, though.

If third-party support for the Revolution is shoddy I may end up buying a 360 but not if prices are above $200-$250. Really and truly I don't have much time for gaming right now so it is hard to get excited about stuff.

MottZilla
11-17-2005, 03:41 AM
I've seen the Xbox 360 in action. Save your money unless you care about playing things now while it's the 'latest thing'. The games don't look or play that great, it's the same shit more or less. And keep in mind for the most part it's the same uninventive developers making games. Until Tecmo puts out a new Ninja Gaiden, I doubt I'll bother with the 360. Funny enough Tecmo is why I bought the first Xbox, that and modding it and using it as an emulator box. As a PC the Xbox is a pretty good bargin. You can easily spend 1000$ on a new PC. Problem is the Xbox 360 is PPC and not x86. It's unclear if it will have the great potential of the Xbox for emulators, although I don't know if there was much to improve apon anyways.

New systems sell by hype, it's sad. You just try to convince people that they should buy the thing NOW. To hop onboard the bandwagon. I was in Best Buy the other day, and I heard one of their helper people whom I call the blue shirted perverts trying to talk someone into buying the Xbox 360. He clearly was a fucking retard or a lieing salesman at work. Perhaps both. The sad thing is that with gasoline prices having gone down, people might be willing to fork out the insane amount for a new system that really isn't that great.

Only 2 of the Xbox 360 titles even caught my eye, Dead or Alive 4 (Tecmo) and Perfect Dark Zero, which I only thought of because Perfect Dark kicked ass, but PDZ isn't made by the same people as they have all left RARE.

So anyways, you can take your hype and shove it up your ass sideways. Same shit different day. Buy a handgun instead. Hell you could get atleast 2 very nice magnums for less than an Xbox 360. With the money left over you could buy some ammunition.

Starkist
11-17-2005, 04:10 AM
The only thing that excites me about the 360 is the new Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion. I'm a PC gamer myself though, so I'm waiting for the pc version. :)

Darth Marsden
11-17-2005, 05:56 AM
One thing nobody's mentioned is how crap the boxart for the system is. Lemme dig up a picture...

http://www.hanshansen.com/images/xbox360box.jpg

Is that not the crappest box art you've ever seen?

Grasshopper
11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
I kind of like the box art. I like the whole orange/green/white color scheme.

Something else, out of all the launch games for the 360, only a few are Xbox 360 games. The rest is games thats already been out on other platforms. *sigh*

vegeta1215
11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Something else, out of all the launch games for the 360, only a few are Xbox 360 games. The rest is games thats already been out on other platforms. *sigh*

I notcied this too. They're also $59.99 for the X-Box 360 version, as opposed to $49.99 for the regular X-Box version. Sounds kind of silly to me.

I watched a video review of Kameo, and it looks pretty neat. I hear the game was planned for the Gamecube at one point, which would've been cool to see. The video reviewer said the game doesn't look much different from a current generation game if you're not using an high-def tv.

Monica
11-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't get any of the new systems when they first come out, because there's a big chance for huge problems. We got my brother an Xbox for Christmas when it first came out, but it stopped working and had the green sscreen of death within 2 years, I hear problems with all first releases, so I figure it's better and smarter to wait a couple of years, for quality if not anything else, and the games are still as fun later as they would be when they first came out. I just think there's not really much point in listening to hype and running out and getting it, unless you can afford to get it repared. Even the Genesis I had had a major controller problem.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Pretty much everything I've heard about the 360 is there is not much difference from normal games unless you have a High-Def TV.

While I support HD and wish I had one, whenever I have the choice between $100 for a TV or $400 for an HD monitor in the 20" range I just can't justify the cost.

Gerudo
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Is that not the crappest box art you've ever seen?

no... this is the crappiest boxart ive seen lately...

http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/ps2/3565/box.jpg

Cloral
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
The quality seems to vary depending on the games. Some of them look great, some of them, not so much. Anyway, I preordered through the company I work for, so I should get mine in the next few days (its supposed to be here before the retail launch date), so when that happens I'll give my first-hand impressions.

Grasshopper
11-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I watched a video review of Kameo, and it looks pretty neat. I hear the game was planned for the Gamecube at one point, which would've been cool to see. The video reviewer said the game doesn't look much different from a current generation game if you're not using an high-def tv.

Wasn't it originally planned for the Nintendo 64?
I still have my Gamecube box which has a picture of Kameo on it. Thats funny.

Archibaldo
11-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I think I'll stick with my Game Cube for now. As long as they're still making games for it. I'll stay with it. If I do manage to get enough money for a new system I think I'll get the PS3. I've had Nintendo systems all my life. And I'd like a little change. Plus, the controller for the Revolution doesn't really look very appealing. When I play a game, I don't want to be waving my arm all over the place and looking like a crazy person.
That's why I got rid of my Nintendog game. You pretty much have to play by talking to your DS. If some one saw you doing that, they'd think you were crazy.

MottZilla
11-18-2005, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't get any of the new systems when they first come out, because there's a big chance for huge problems. We got my brother an Xbox for Christmas when it first came out, but it stopped working and had the green sscreen of death within 2 years, I hear problems with all first releases, so I figure it's better and smarter to wait a couple of years, for quality if not anything else, and the games are still as fun later as they would be when they first came out. I just think there's not really much point in listening to hype and running out and getting it, unless you can afford to get it repared. Even the Genesis I had had a major controller problem.

Nintendo's systems are known for being well made and durable, and ussually there are no model revisions like are common today. The GameCube has been revised slightly, and that's really all software. I have a launch GameCube system and it still works wonderfully. However, Sony and M$ don't exactly have reputations that scream quality.

vegeta1215
11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
They had an X-Box 360 demo station in Best Buy, and I got to try it out today.

The controller is okay, but it's really smooth, and I almost feel like it could fall out of my hands if they were slippery. I think I like the S controller for the original X-Box better. There were a bunch of playable demoes. I tried King Kong and Kameo for a few minutes. I didn't play King Kong long because I couldn't get used to the controls/camera. Kameo was kinda neat, you switch between these different creatures that each have different abilities. Reminded me of Majora's Mask a little.

I wasn't impressed with the graphics. Maybe it was the LCD monitor the demo station was hooked up too, but I didn't think they looked that good.

Orion
11-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty excited about the 360, but I won't be getting one at launch. Can't afford it, and there really aren't any great launch games. I have a really good feeling about this vs. the PS3.

I tried it out at Walmart and actually like the controller for the most part. It's probably my favorite yet. I hated the standard xbox controller and really didn't care for the controller-s, so I find this a vast improvment. The graphics were okay, better than anything this generation, but nothing that blew my socks off. I'm sure they will get better.

However, people who think that GameCube games look as good as 360 games (as I have seen some people say on IGN's boards, go there if you feel like a laugh), are idiots. I haven't seen any 360 games yet running on an HD set, but I'd be willing to wager that it looks pretty good. I look forward to seeing where the 360's lifespan takes it.

Grasshopper
11-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Yep, Gears of War looks better than anything on the Gamecube. Hehe, those IGNers are crazy. Of course, the Unreal Engine 3 looks better than anything anyway.

Cloral
11-18-2005, 09:35 PM
It makes a world of difference when you see it on a HDTV. The new level of detail the hardware makes possible can sometimes be hard to discern on a standard TV. The reviewers have figured that out and point it out in most every review out there right now.

Oddly enough, a bunch of the games for the 360 came out today. I went ahead and picked up a copy of Project Gotham Racing 3. Now I just have to wait for my console to get here...

Grasshopper
11-18-2005, 11:28 PM
One thing that discourages me about getting an Xbox 360 is that its looks pretty decent on an HDTV, but I don't have enough $$$ to get an HDTV.

MottZilla
11-20-2005, 04:34 AM
You can still obtain a very nice image quality on standard TVs. All I see from Xbox 360 is a computer upgrade that will be obsolete before I ever buy it. I think that's why I'm so not impressed. I was also not impressed by M$s useless "core" system that breaks the guarentee to games having access to a harddisk for caching game data. I always thought that was one of the nicest things Xbox had going for it over other systems.

Anyways, if I had the kind of cash to buy an Xbox 360, I'd buy something else instead. Like a Laptop, a handgun, or an assault weapon. Ofcourse I'm generally not thrilled these days about new systems.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
11-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I saw a commercial for Call of Duty 2, and it looked really nice. I saw a commercial for the NBA game, and it looked really mediocre =/

Grasshopper
11-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Call of Duty was a good game anyway. At least on the PC. I've played the PC demo of CoD2, which is the same demo from the Xbox 360. Its more of the same, although I was a bit unimpressed by the demo level Infinity Ward chose to show off.

This is a little off beat from the topic starter, but how do you guys view the controller? I've not actually played with it, but I've never had a PC controller, and I personally think that this is probably one of the better ones to get, albeit is $40. But all I need is this (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=pk_xbox_cont&os=xp&lang=en&driverVersion=Download%20XBox%20360%20Controller%2 0for%20Windows) and I'm all set.

Now I'm pondering, aside from emulation, what would I use it for? Hehe.

Lord Cheese
11-21-2005, 12:15 AM
I wasn't at all impressed with the 360... I tried at the Wal-Mart near my home. It was hooked up to an HD t.v. by the way. Yes the graphics were nice, but in 1-2 years from now it will be obselete next to a common gamers computer. The controller was worse than the original IMHO. I doubt I will be getting a Xbox 360. I will propably just wait for the PS3.

Warlock
11-21-2005, 12:34 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/668/668164p1.html

IGN has posted some impressions of Perfect Dark. The game doesn't sound too great. And this is coming from IGN Xbox guys. Apparently it's really really similar to the first Perfect Dark. There isn't really any evolution there at all. I mean, in my opinion, the first Perfect Dark was great but I think a lot of that had to do with the story and atmosphere (I still say the anime style is a retarded marketing ploy to attract horney teenagers and doesn't fit the feeling of the series). By today's standards the gameplay is a little antiquated when you have games like Half-Life and Halo that have sort of refined FPSers since then. One guy on there I guess was a big Halo fan and really didn't like how slow the pacing was (in terms of stuff jumping out at you and what not I guess).

But yeah, I honestly don't trust Rare ever since a bunch of people left. Hell, Starfox Adventures is proof enough they can't put out decent crap anymore. And what did they put out worth buying on Xbox? Grabbed by Ghoulies? The port of Conker? I was actually shocked to see Perfect Dark was a launch title for 360. They've been working on it for so long that it seemed like the thing would never come out.

ONeilcool
11-23-2005, 02:08 AM
I believe it is out now, did anyone buy it? if so is it worth it?

laughing1989
11-23-2005, 02:31 AM
A few things I'd like to point out about systems (in general)
1. In the beginning, everything is all hype. You may have fun with a system, but it wears down after a bit.
2. The price is always high at launch, and (I believe) has been steadily increasing for each generation of console released.
3. Games get better (much better: God of War) after time has passed, and the "launch titles" are using no where near the limit of a console's power.
So keep cool. And wait for Halo 3. Then be happy. I will.

MottZilla
11-23-2005, 02:46 AM
While it's true the launch games are almost always not even close to the full potential, I think that's becoming less true in the current generation due to the less hardware involved trend. With NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. you really had to learn to get every ounce of power out of it directly. But with Xbox and Xbox 360 no doubt, there's really not much that can be done in that way. I mean maybe some drivers and other libraries would get a bit better..

I agree with your general idea though, the beginning is always filled with hype cause otherwise it wouldn't have enough substance to draw people in. But you know I'm annoyed by undeserved hype.

laughing1989
11-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I understand. Maybe it would've been better (more deserving) if the companies didn't care so much about cold hard cash than entertaining the people. We might have had some better launch titles that would have had a reason to gather hype over. But no, throw in a couple of lame an-inch-over-xbox graphics and a chunk of new memory and hope people like what they're emptying their bank accounts over.
But I can't wait till Halo 3. And they better make it, lest I walketh up to their el presidente and kick him in the stones.

Note: It is a good thing to point out that the XBox 360 would probably drop a hundred off the price before the PS3 comes out anyhoot. But, really, I just love the way /\/\$ ripped off all these licenses this time around. I'm hoping it pays off, in entertainment of course.

Grasshopper
11-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Its not so much that the games are bad, just that they've been out already.
Quake 4 has been out on the PC for about a month already.
Call of Duty 2 has been out on the PC as well.
King Kong is a multi platform game that shipped on every system the same day.
Need For Speed Most Wanted was out a couple weeks ealier on the other systems.
All the sports games are on others systems already.
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland has been out about a month already as well
You can see where I'm going. So far, its really only Amped 3, Kameo, PGR3, and Perfect Dark Zero that are the 360 only titles. (Condemned, if you count that its not on PC yet) And none have garnered much enthusiasm from the public. Wheres the hype for these four games. In fact I didn't even hear anything what so ever on Amped 3. When Xbox came out, thats all I heard about was Halo Halo Halo. I hear more people wanting to by 50 Cent: Bulletproof then I do these 4 games. Maybe its just the area I live in.:laughing:

It doesn't really matter. Not many people will have an Xbox 360 by the end of this year. I doubt my area will see a total greater than 100 before Christmas.

Cloral
11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I was suppossed to have one by now, but they screwed up the shipping so I won't get it until Monday. Bah. I was looking forward to playing with it over the long weekend, but whatever. I got PGR3 which looks really good and has been selling out around here. I also preordered Kameo but haven't heard back from EB yet. If they haven't called me by Monday I'll have to call them and find out what's going on.

You all assume that the 360 is as simple to design for as a computer. You're forgetting that the 360 is a 3 core system. To take full advantage of its power, applications have to run 3 threads concurrently, which isn't exactly a simple task. With time the quality will improve.

a_nile_ater
11-23-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't think that the 360 will be very good, personally I think it might be a big flop like the sega dreamcast, well maybe not that bad but y'all get the idea, maybe?

vegeta1215
11-23-2005, 05:19 PM
I read a story today about how people are claiming their X-Bo 360s are crashing on them: (http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/11/23/138200.shtml) I wonder if its true, and how widespread these issues are. I know if I bought an X-Box 360 and had the system crash on me, I'd be really pissed.

Grasshopper
11-23-2005, 08:26 PM
I also preordered Kameo...

You're forgetting that the 360 is a 3 core system. To take full advantage of its power, applications have to run 3 threads concurrently, which isn't exactly a simple task.

I played the Kameo demo, and thought it was pretty fun.

As for the Xbox, yeah. Thats why I can't even imagine what Sony was thinking with the Cell processor and the PS3. I think the Xbox 360 though will do quite well. Its got that mass market appeal.

Warlock
11-23-2005, 10:22 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/670/670078p1.html

This is really biased (and kind of funny) but this was something I didn't know:

4. True Backward Compatibility
Microsoft calls Xbox 360 a backward compatible console, but that's not entirely true. The fact is, hundreds of Xbox games -- like The Chronicles of Riddick -- cannot yet be played on the company's latest machine. This is unfortunate because it means that 360 buyers will need to hold onto their original Xbox systems to play many older offerings, which is not ideal, particularly for minimalists who'd prefer to avoid clutter in their living rooms.

That's pretty shitty. If that were the case on PS2 you know people would have bitched at Sony about it (granted some games had minor compatibility issues but I don't recall any of them being major or unplayable).

vegeta1215
11-23-2005, 11:12 PM
From what I have read, backwards compatibility on the X-Box 360 works via emulation. You basically have to connect to X-Box live to download the software needed play each original X-Box game.

I haven't read how well it works, but these are the games that will be backwards compatible at first:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

I'm sure as time goes by, more games will be compatible. The initial backwards compatibility list for Japan looks pretty grim though:
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6139921 (only about 12 games)

laughing1989
11-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Well, since everyone gets a Silver membership, we should be able to at least download those for free, which means as long as you have a broadband connection or a lot of time, backwards compatibility won't be trouble. I wonder if you copied the software to a PC you could play them on... nevermind.
(I saw Halo/Halo2/Halo2Exp before I actually saw them. Heh. I'm obsessed.)
How many games actually came out on the XBox? That about sums up my list... At least, the crap ones were thrown out.

Warlock
11-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Well, since everyone gets a Silver membership, we should be able to at least download those for free, which means as long as you have a broadband connection or a lot of time, backwards compatibility won't be trouble. I wonder if you copied the software to a PC you could play them on... nevermind.
(I saw Halo/Halo2/Halo2Exp before I actually saw them. Heh. I'm obsessed.)
How many games actually came out on the XBox? That about sums up my list... At least, the crap ones were thrown out.

You mean everyone that pays an extra $100 for the full system. And keeps their live subscription renewed.

Grasshopper
11-24-2005, 12:35 AM
At least, the crap ones were thrown out. Well, I wouldn't exactly say that Blinx 2, Drake, and Toxic Grind are good.

Warlock, if you buy the $300 core system or the $400 system, you still get a subscription to Xbox Live Silver. Silver is the free version. You can't play games online with this, but you do have access to downloadable content, which includes updated version of the emulator software. You have to have Xbox Live Gold to be able to play games online, and this is the version that you have to pay for. If you have Live now through Xbox, then you can transfer yourself over to Gold. Here is a comparison to show what each service offers

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1147/Xbox-360-Software-and-Services-Features/p1

There are still some things that don't make sense to me. Like the friend list. Why do you need a friend list in Silver if you can't even play games online. Whats the point of friends? Whats the point in being able to invite friends to play with you then? Some of this stuff is added in the Silver subscription, but makes no sense.

vegeta1215
11-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Well, I wouldn't exactly say that Blinx 2, Drake, and Toxic Grind are good.

Warlock, if you buy the $300 core system or the $400 system, you still get a subscription to Xbox Live Silver. Silver is the free version. You can't play games online with this, but you do have access to downloadable content, which includes updated version of the emulator software.

True, but you need the hard drive to store the emulator software, and that only comes with the premium system. (unless of course the X-Box 360 has some internal memory or memory cards are big enough to store the data)

Warlock
11-24-2005, 01:04 AM
True, but you need the hard drive to store the emulator software, and that only comes with the premium system. (unless of course the X-Box 360 has some internal memory or memory cards are big enough to store the data)

My point stands :P

laughing1989
11-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Ah, well, anyone who is excited about the system will get the big one. And anyone who is trying to save money will get the core system, probably thinking that the price difference is significantly more important than the features offered by the big one, when in actuallity you do indeed get a better deal with the big one. Buying a wireless controller, and XBox Live communicator/headset, an internal harddrive, and whatever else they have after buying the core system would cost a bundle more than just buying the big one.
But money is everything, and I'm a teenager. So I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Grasshopper
11-24-2005, 10:55 AM
oh, I see your point Warlock. I just thought you didn't know how Xbox Live work, so I was trying to explain it. :)

Warlock
11-24-2005, 02:35 PM
oh, I see your point Warlock. I just thought you didn't know how Xbox Live work, so I was trying to explain it. :)

Well I didn't exactly but if you need the harddrive to download the emulation software to you are still stuck with the expensive model or shelling out the cash for the hard drive which pretty much puts you at the exact same price range (but with MUCH less)

MottZilla
11-25-2005, 03:06 AM
By the way, they say for the emulation software for Xbox 1 games, you can burn that to a CD-R and install it that way. So you won't need Xbox Live and a connection with the Xbox itself.

And I forgot about that Cloral. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if most the launch titles didn't use all 3 cpu cores much, and definitely not to the max.