PDA

View Full Version : Down with eBaums?

ONeilcool
11-15-2005, 08:46 PM
I saw this Ebaumsworld sucks (http://ebaumsworldsucks.com)
and I really dont know what to think and i was wondering AGN's thoughts

Rainman
11-15-2005, 09:14 PM
What? Ebaumsworld sucks. What's there to discuss?

Dechipher
11-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Ebaumsworld does not suck.

Entire spectrum, two posts.

SixTen
11-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Who cares. Its a funny site.

ONeilcool
11-16-2005, 12:50 AM
did you guys watch the video and do you think hes stealing or not blah blah blah there is more then just if it sucks or not...

SixTen
11-16-2005, 01:26 AM
I saw it. It doesn't bother me either way. As long as the content is up there. eBaums is much more recognizeable to me than Fark or SomethingAweful but it really doesnt matter to me where everything is.

Darth Marsden
11-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Everybody knows eBaum's World steals other people's stuff. We know that. But even so, there's abunch of stuff there and it's hard not to be tempted to look at some of it. So yeah, the site sucks, but until he steals something of mine I'll keep on visiting.

AlexMax
11-16-2005, 05:56 AM
I saw it. It doesn't bother me either way. As long as the content is up there. eBaums is much more recognizeable to me than Fark or SomethingAweful but it really doesnt matter to me where everything is.

How would you like it if eBaum found something funny you did, stole it, and reaped profits off of the advertising that your work generated due to traffic.

Fuck that faggot.

EDIT: Even better, he did a DDoS attack on the SA Forums when he figured out that they were on to him though HIS OWN FUCKING WEBSITE. He put something in the HTML of his website that used the visitors of his website to put load on the forums, through the search function. So essentially every time his site got a hit it would put a load on the forums, whose search was only avalable to paid members for a reason So not only does he steal, he's unscrupulous.

And yes his ISP was contacted by people when they figured out he was doing this. They then proceeded to not give a fuck, since eBaum is one of their biggest traffic generators and they don't really give a shit either.

SixTen
11-16-2005, 11:37 AM
How would you like it if eBaum found something funny you did, stole it, and reaped profits off of the advertising that your work generated due to traffic. I always credit myself in whatever videos I make. So if he had it everyone would know it's mine. I care more that people see it than who has it. And if he were making money off it, well I'm certainly not going to and I'm too lazy to fix it so that that I were. It's not like I would be losing money.

Rainman
11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I always credit myself in whatever videos I make. So if he had it everyone would know it's mine.

What makes you think he won't edit the credit to you out of the video? He's done it in the past.

Beldaran
11-16-2005, 02:06 PM
It's your guys' apathetic attitude towards intellectual property theft that is paving the way for all the insane DRM bullshit we are going to get with the next generation of operating systems and digital media.

Honest people always pay out the ass for the behavior of a smaller group of butt holes.

Lutraphobiac
11-17-2005, 01:31 AM
I agree and have witnessed what Alexmax has said. It seems to me that e-baums is either stealing from Something Awful or just not funny.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
The issue is simple, and the only way you could possibly understand it is if you have had something you did ripped off.

For example, I used to be a horrible software pirate until I had to do a fairly large project at work. Once I found out what it felt like to spend months working on a project, I realized that yes, it is worth quite a bit of money to run software. (Not that I don't still pirate software; I just have ethics about it now. I crack demo versions while saving money for the full version.)

Anyway, the same thing is happening with eBaum's world. Imagine you spend weeks working on a flash animation. You fail exams and miss out on opportunities for good times with friends because you are an artist with a goal. Finally, you complete your masterpiece and release it on the internet for all to see your glory. You get some praise, some complaints, but all in all you are enjoying your e-fame.

Then you find your animation on eBaum's World with a prominent eBaum's World watermark added to it. Now Eric Bauman is making money off of your flash animation and the fact that you are the creator is now muddled. You are upset; you wish you had a cut of the profits. So you email the guy and ask him to either send you royalties or remove your work from his site. His response? "Make me."

Even worse, in many cases eBaum's has removed from both images and flash animations the credits that show where the original material came from. What sparked recent animosity between SA and eBaum's was an instance where eBaum took an entire Photoshop Phriday segment from SA without crediting the source.

So yeah if you support the idea of people making money off of artists' work without compensating the artists, feel free to continue to chuckle at eBaums world. To me this is worse than music piracy; when you illegally download music you are denying royalties to the artist. If you take the downloaded music, make CDs out of it, then sell the CDs, you are denying royalties to the artist and redirecting the royalties to yourself.

*edit*
And Beldaran has a very decent point. If you can't respect the work of an artist then there is no motivation for many artists to release their work to the public.