PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart DS

AtmaWeapon
11-15-2005, 07:19 PM
There's no need to go into a lengthy review of the game. I like all of the Mario Karts except for Double Dash for some reason, but this one is free of whatever taint DD has that I don't like.

What had me so excited was the wireless play. I was lucky enough to get into a game as soon as I got home, and I must say that it worked flawlessly. The only problem is it seems either I'm the only person in the world using Mario Kart DS right now or my university is blocking the port used by Nintendo, because I'm not finding any online games.

Discuss the game and list friend codes here! Mine is:

Gerudo
11-15-2005, 07:38 PM
i just got this game not even 30 minutes ago. with any luck, by the end of the night, i can have a wireless connection for my DS.

the game reminds me so much of Super Mario Kart for snes. <3

goKi
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Comes out tomorrow in Australia, May get it today, if i'm lucky. Already got a b/g enabled router, set it up to accept my DS already. I'll list my friend code when i get it.

Warlock
11-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I have a coupon for Best Buy but it's not good until Friday so I'm gonna pick it up then.

All I am wondering is whether online multiplayer will have Battle Mode or if it's only for wireless lan..

AtmaWeapon
11-15-2005, 09:39 PM
So far all wireless I have played is just racing, no battle mode.

It seems Nintendo made the classic mistake and underestimated server load. Visiting http://www.nintendowifi.com reveals that the Mario Kart DS servers are having "intermittent problems" (read: you can't find games to play online). :(

vegeta1215
11-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I reserved the red DS bundle with Mario Kart, so I have to wait about two weeks more to play. I hope Nintendo sorts out any server problems their having.

Archibaldo
11-15-2005, 10:45 PM
OMFG. This always happens to me. When ever I get a handheld, a cooler colour comes out like right aftter, well not exactly right after but you know. When I go my SP, the Red one came out like a month later and same for my DS. I got it in June, and now the red one is out. But that's besides the point.

How does the WiFi thing work any way? Do you have to like hook up to the internet some how or does it work like when you play multiplayer and the person has to be like 30 feet away from you?

Warlock
11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Red's a stupid color :P

Anyways,yeah I guess no battle mode online. Which is gay *but* you can setup CPU players for battle mode now which is awesome. I saw a movie at IGN where one of them was labeled "CPU5" (meaning 6 players at least, so I'm guessing maybe even up to 8 in battle mode this time?). From the videos they had there, they brought back the pipe one from Double Dash (about the *only* one besides Luigi's Mansion I liked in that game), and one of the new ones looked very awesome (essentially a bunch of cooridors.. almost like a deathmatch FPS where a kart could be around any corner). If they are bringing back old courses though, I hope they also bring back Block Fort from MK64. I'd also like to see Double Decker but even just Block Fort would be very cool.

Can someone who has the game list the Battle Mode courses?

vegeta1215
11-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Red's a stupid color :P

Maybe, but I do save $15 by buying the Mario Kart bundle :)

I was kinda bummed to hear that battle mode wasn't online, I think Nintendo wanted to get Mario Kart out the door in time for the holidays. Oh well.

btw, I totally agree with you about the Pipe Dream & Luigi's Mansion battle stages from Double Dash - they were the only stages worth playing on since the others were so small. (I must admit the tilting stage is a blast for bob-bomb battles though)

AtmaWeapon
11-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Battle Tracks, as requested:
Nintendo DS (take a guess what it looks like)
Twilight House
Palm Shore
Tart Top
Block Fort
Pipe Plaza

This is what I have so far; can't say if more are unlocakable.

Looks like servers are down for a while; if more countries have later release dates I guess it will be a week or so until we get stable online play :(

Warlock
11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Maybe, but I do save $15 by buying the Mario Kart bundle :)

I was kinda bummed to hear that battle mode wasn't online, I think Nintendo wanted to get Mario Kart out the door in time for the holidays. Oh well.

btw, I totally agree with you about the Pipe Dream & Luigi's Mansion battle stages from Double Dash - they were the only stages worth playing on since the others were so small. (I must admit the tilting stage is a blast for bob-bomb battles though)

Well if you are getting it just for the bundle that's fine.. but I wouldn't get the bundle only because of the red DS :P Like, say, if it was a red DS bundled with Barbie's Dream Adventure or something :D

And yes, which is another reason that one I saw looked so awesome. It looked bigger than ALL of the Double Dash courses. At least the size of Block Fort, possibly larger. And with 8 karts going around there, that could be very cool.

Battle Tracks, as requested:
Nintendo DS (take a guess what it looks like)
Twilight House
Palm Shore
Tart Top
Block Fort
Pipe Plaza

This is what I have so far; can't say if more are unlocakable.

Looks like servers are down for a while; if more countries have later release dates I guess it will be a week or so until we get stable online play

Yay Block Fort. The one I saw was probably Twilight House. It was all dark and purply. I also saw Nintendo DS in a movie, which, despite reminding me of that god-aweful Gamecube track from Double Dash (wtf were they thinking?) actually looked decent. There was a little ramp up to the top screen and it was of decent size. I am not 100% keen on the wide open tracks like that (of which Double Dash had in ABUNDANCE) but this one looked better than any others I've seen. One thing that might have been better would be if the D-Pad and buttons perhaps were used as walls instead of being able to drive over them. Just some little obstacles in there :)

Also, I heard this game has a LOT of unlockables so more courses are probably a likely possibility.

vegeta1215
11-15-2005, 11:30 PM
The bundle is the main reason I got it, but I really don't mind the red. My Fender stratocaster is the same color red :) Plus, if I wanted to, I'm sure I could sell the Hot Rod Red DS at a good price in the future since it's limited edition.

Warlock
11-15-2005, 11:44 PM
SPOILERZ ALERT:
I just read R.O.B. is an unlockable character... kick ass!

Edit: Also kind of spoilerz.. I was watching GameSpot's video review (which was horrible, was that guy British or something? Couldn't understand half of what he said under his accent) and they showed a bunch of tracks. In terms of classics, they are bringing back Choco Mountain from MK64 which was one of my favorites. I also saw Wario Stadium from MK64 (also badass) and Toad's Turnpike from MK:DD (also awesome).

SeirraMist
11-15-2005, 11:54 PM
R.O.B. sounds familar... but from where...

I was actually putting this on me holiday wishlist, mainly because all of me friends and I are buying it so we can play the online stuff... it looks f'ing awsome... Of course there are other games for the DS Im gonna do some reaserch into.
-Phinoex Wright- Ive heard really good reviews, and it looks awsome.
-Advance Wars- The gameboy ones were good so I figure this should be good to.
And a couple of others.. (particularly the RPGS)

I also heard that they were gonna make a SIDESCROLLER MARIO GAME!! We havent seen one of these since Yoshi Isand 2 baby!! A new one!! hurrah hurray!

Warlock
11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
R.O.B. sounds familar... but from where...

I was actually putting this on me holiday wishlist, mainly because all of me friends and I are buying it so we can play the online stuff... it looks f'ing awsome... Of course there are other games for the DS Im gonna do some reaserch into.
-Phinoex Wright- Ive heard really good reviews, and it looks awsome.
-Advance Wars- The gameboy ones were good so I figure this should be good to.
And a couple of others.. (particularly the RPGS)

I also heard that they were gonna make a SIDESCROLLER MARIO GAME!! We havent seen one of these since Yoshi Isand 2 baby!! A new one!! hurrah hurray!

http://www.retrones.com/Perifericos/ROB/rob.jpg

AtmaWeapon
11-16-2005, 12:01 AM
It must take more than GP to unlock unlockables because I am almost finished with the base cups in 50cc and 100cc and so far all I have unlocked is more cups. :mad:

Nintendo WiFi fails it so far. I am horribly disappointed; Nintendo usually does better than this.

vegeta1215
11-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Looks like the charts are back up on nintendowifi.com.

Really, it's good that these problems are showing up now and not when there are more wifi games out on the market.

goKi
11-16-2005, 12:19 AM
goKi's Friend Code:

AtmaWeapon
11-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I added you goKi; here's hoping we can race in the near future (you'll probably own me; I'm not that good). I have some studying for an exam to do but I'm leaving this bad boy up and searching while I'm up to it.

goKi
11-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Added you too, Atma. Anyone know if friend list games are working?

AtmaWeapon
11-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Yes, they are apparently the only games that are working. Why can't I find you online? The MKDS page has you online and you say you are... I don't get this at all.

goKi
11-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Well, i'm seriously disappointed with Nintendo WFC :(.
After expecting muuuuuch more, i get one game, a 5 lap race around Baby Park, which i obliterated my opponent in. Then my opponent times out on the first lap of my Luigi Circuit race. Not to mention i've been trying for half an hour to initiate a friends match with Atmaweapon. This isn't the high quality everyone has come to expect from Nintendo. Hopefully problems are quickly resolved.

AtmaWeapon
11-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Something is wrong in this picture. See if you can find it:
linked for size (http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/ggNintendo.png)[1]

References
[1] goKi's joke

Master Ghaleon
11-16-2005, 02:40 AM
the guy is happy that it took him 3 hours to play a friend? lol I dunno.

goKi
11-16-2005, 03:03 AM
There are quite a few people waiting to play.. heh.

copsgotguns
11-16-2005, 03:27 AM
The only people ive found to verse so far are 5 year old kindergardeners. even with a 1 lap headstart i obliterate them. where is the competition?

also regarding WiFi, do you have to be near a hotspot in order for it to work properly?

KingArthur
11-16-2005, 03:44 AM
my friend code

added atma and goKi, bring it on :)

goKi
11-16-2005, 03:48 AM
KingArthur, added you.

The only people ive found to verse so far are 5 year old kindergardeners. even with a 1 lap headstart i obliterate them. where is the competition?

also regarding WiFi, do you have to be near a hotspot in order for it to work properly?

Near a wireless hotspot, your own wireless router, or one of those Nintendo wireless dongles.

KingArthur
11-16-2005, 04:03 AM
I'm wating in the friends search for you to show up as we speak, saw the icon sayin you were online flash a couple times in the match i was in

*b*
11-16-2005, 05:05 AM
I have a coupon for Best Buy but it's not good until Friday so I'm gonna pick it up then.

All I am wondering is whether online multiplayer will have Battle Mode or if it's only for wireless lan..
I got the same thing. I thought it was some birthday thing they sent me, because my birthday is on friday. I'm getting FE:PoR and MKDS on friday, and maybe I'll be able to convine my mom to let me work off a USB WiFi connector so I can play with you guys!

[edit] God, that made me sound like a little kid...

ctrl-alt-delete
11-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I hate being poor.

Screw you guys and screw Mario Kart.

In 14 days I will be driving a BMW Convertible.

goKi
11-16-2005, 05:28 AM
BMW convertible? Who drives that one... Luigi?

ctrl-alt-delete
11-16-2005, 05:30 AM
Fuck you, Aussie. When I can afford to purchase it, I am going to rape you right in your kangaroo pouch.

goKi
11-16-2005, 05:35 AM
WiFi is fully operational, Everyone but Kolt can play

AtmaWeapon
11-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Awww Nintendo you know I can't stay mad at you long. I'm glad they got the servers up in a day this has made me a lot happier. I'm still not that good at the game but so far Wifi play is proving much, much more exciting than single play :)

The only thing I miss is chat, but I can understand why it isn't there. First it would be hard to type while driving a Kart, second the mic is probably not very good for voice chat.

I still lean to the sides to make the kart go that way :)

Kairyu
11-16-2005, 11:43 AM
And Nintendo seems to be taking several steps to protect younger players from stupid stuff, i.e. obscene usernames.

The new battle mode is neat. I actually stole someone's ballon last night in one Vs. game by ramming them with a Mushroom. That was cool.
The missions are okay so far, but they've been really easy. I hope they don't get rediculously hard.
I was worried that I'd only like the returning tracks, but several of the new tracks are really nice. That Yoshi Falls course drives me nuts, though.

Master Ghaleon
11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
In 14 days I will be driving a BMW Convertible.

Was that the Dr. Pepper car you won?

Tygore
11-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Tygore's Friend Code:

jman2050
11-16-2005, 05:13 PM
This game is sweet sex. I love it.

Friend code:

J-Man

Oh, and take a look at my emblem, will ya? ;P

goKi
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Just pwnt you, J-Man. Sorry, i've gotta run to work. Play you some other time.

jman2050
11-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Yes you did.

Tygore
11-16-2005, 06:16 PM
If anyone wants to play me, I'll be online from 5-6 pm (Central Time). I've added eveyone who's posted their codes to my friends list.

If there's intrest, we should make a challenge topic for pre-planned online times. Didn't we used to have a sub-forum for online game challenges/meets? Whatever happened to that?

vegeta1215
11-16-2005, 06:44 PM
If there's intrest, we should make a challenge topic for pre-planned online times. Didn't we used to have a sub-forum for online game challenges/meets? Whatever happened to that?

There's nothing stopping you from making such a topic, so why not go for it? If you do and it stays active long enough, I'll sticky it.

KingArthur
11-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Added J-man and tygore

Mak-X
11-17-2005, 12:08 AM

MottZilla
11-17-2005, 03:28 AM
Bah, must get usb dongle thingy to play online. :O

vegeta1215
11-18-2005, 12:20 AM
I have a question for all the members who already have Mario Kart DS: how are the controls?

I ask because I just played Mario Kart Super Circuit for a little while, and the controls aren't very good - it's so easy to lose control during a race. I'm hoping Mario Kart DS is better.

Tygore
11-18-2005, 01:52 AM
MUCH better than Super Circut's. I'm able to actually navigate the levels without difficulty, and the graphics are somewhere between 64 and Double Dash.

MottZilla
11-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Like Tygore said, the controls are very nice. I've had little to no problems with control. Seems very similar to the SNES Mario Kart.

AtmaWeapon
11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
The only problems with the controls for me stem from the fact that the only comfortable way for me to hold the DS requires me to sit in a position I cannot comfortably stay in for more than 5 minutes at a time. I won't be able to play much at all today because I am experiencing severe wrist pain.

Anyway, if Super Circuit was the GBA one I am not so sure I want it anymore judging from the tracks included in MKDS from that version. I hate those tracks with a passion because they pretty much include only curves that are just too small to get a mini-boost from.

I'm still working on the powerslide boost timing, but it is hard to tell how much of what is going wrong is me hitting the d-pad odd and how much of it is being off timing. I have always had a problem on the DS with hitting diagonals almost every time I try any direction. When I first started playing I thought there was a slow rhythm, i.e. each d-pad press must be about 1/4 of a second apart. This held until someone on GameFAQs told me I was wrong and I started alternating directions really fast. I have managed to churn out mini-boosts so fast that it is conceivable I could do almost 2 per second, but success at that speed seems limited. Sometimes I have to go LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR before my tires even turn blue, so I'm thinking that if you hit U or D accidentally it cancels the L or R.

That's just speculation though.

Kairyu
11-18-2005, 11:24 AM
The only thing I don't like about the controls is backing up. It just doesn't seem to work right. Everything else is spot-on.

It includes courses from all the previous games in the series, but I'm pretty sure they've undergone some changes for gameplay purposes.

I really wish you could still recover from bananas by tapping B rapidly. Now you always spin out.

Tygore
11-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Except for the missions, I haven't really used reverse. And the Retro Circut was a pleasent addition.

I finished Mirror Mode last night. Unlocked R.O.B. and can now use all vehicles with all characters. R.O.B. is nice, but I still prefer Dry Bones in his Desert-Camo Tank.

I actually didn't like banana recovery. Took away the whole swerve to avoid wipe out factor.

Spiny Shells don't seem to get spammed as much as Double Dash. The Blooper (squid) is fun, and drives the CPU crazy.

goKi
11-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I've unlocked everything, and still use Mario in the Shooting Star.

Warlock
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
rawr

*b*
11-19-2005, 09:03 PM
finally got online. 223398 000209 is my friend code

Joshua Milton N
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
I plan on getting this game next week in the DS Bundle Pack.

I'll probably ask my dad for the rest of the money so that I can finally buy it.

I hope he says yes and when he does I'll start playing it and I'll also add my friends codes on here.

AtmaWeapon
11-22-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm getting really pissed off at people disconnecting.

I hear they get a loss (possibly multiple losses) for doing so but I really wish I'd get a win when my opponent disconnects on the last lap of the last race with me in the lead.

Joshua Milton N
11-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Why would people want to disconnect when they're playing against some one.

That is just plain wrong and they shouldn't do smething as stupid as disconnecting.

I for one will never do that Atma Weapon because I will race to the finish evn if I was losing to you.

Dark Knight
11-26-2005, 02:22 PM

They dont' want to suffer the "embarrassment" of being beaten. In most online gaming environments you're dealing with/playing against mostly children that think they "pwn" everyone and when someone comes along and proves their little theory wrong, they can't handle it. Either accusations of hacking are thrown around or they Disconnect/Warp/whatever before they lose.

Anyways, seems like MKDS is a fun game. I might get a DS just for Mario Kart

Joshua Milton N
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I got Mario Kart DS today and a Nintendo DS as well so that I could play it.

Still need to get my friend code though so I guess I'll have to play in a Mc Donalds somewhere near me for the Wi-Fi feature to work.

Orion
11-28-2005, 07:51 PM

That is just plain wrong and they shouldn't do smething as stupid as disconnecting.

It's called a lousy wireless connection. Like when you steal it from your neighbors, thus the connection is very weak. Not to mention the DS doesn't have the strongest reception.

vegeta1215
11-28-2005, 10:56 PM
From what I've read, you don't get penalized for disconnecting from a race, so I'm sure some people do it if they're losing so it won't make their rank go down (or whatever kind of statistics tracking Nintendo Wifi does) Yeah, it sucks, but what can you do?

Joshua Milton N
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
You can't do anything to prevent the person or persons that you're playing online against to not disconnect from the game when they're losing at all which is a real bummer if you ask me.

By the way what are your current HIGH Ranks in the MIssions part of Mario Kart DS?

I'll add my ranks later when I have my game with me and also do you have a Star or 2 or ever 3 Stars above yor name in the game?

I'd like to know so that I can see what I'm up against before I connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi at a Hotspot at a Mc Donalds some day.

Tygore
12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Actually, you do get a one loss penalty if you disconnect. I have a couple of losses that are due to WiFi buggering out.

vegeta1215
12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that now.

I don't mind if people get a loss for manually disconnecting, but when you get disconnected due to network problems, your numbers go wacky. My number of losses actually went down a few times after being disconnected through a network error. :odd:

KJAZZ
12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I heard about that too. Apparently some people are doing it so it looks like they have a 75-0 record or something like that. So most likely if you see someone like that, they cheated to make it appear that way. Not that records matter all that much anyway, but...

Anyway, I'm really hoping to get online soon, but we'll see.. I'll be sure to post in the other thread with my friend code once I can.

Warlock
12-16-2005, 12:57 AM
You are one of a select group invited to participate in this very
important study on Mario Kart DS, so please don’t delay.

Your participation in this survey will help Nintendo continue to provide
the best products and services possible.

The survey will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Please respond by Monday, December 19th. Your responses are completely
confidential and will be used for research purposes only.

Thanks again for your time!

To participate, just click the link below and follow the instructions
that appear on the screen.

Click here to start the survey:
// link :P

Sincerely,

NINTENDO OF AMERICA INC.

The Online Group

:D I filled the hell out of that survey. I really hope they read that and take it seriously. I love the game and I let them know what I love about it, but I also made sure to point out everything I didn't like. In particular, the problems with the wifi stuff. The gist being that for one, friends matchups suck. It's too hard to tell when people are online. I said a simple message like "Bob is online" would have been awesome. And I complained about the general randomness of all the matchups (i.e. if you race someone you enjoy racing, you have no real way of re-racing him). I also complained about the lack of online battle mode.

Then there was a spot to say "the main reason I was very satisfied with the game" :) Well, I hope by "main reason" they like about 5 paragraphs because that's what I gave them :D I highlighted all of the best parts of the game. Outstanding courses, retro courses, excellent control scheme, battle mode (though I mentioned the way it forces 7 CPUs on you blows.. I want a me vs. 3 CPU match for once.. maybe then I can set them to Hard and have a fair fight rather than a "let's see how many karts can throw red shells at me at once" battle)... I forgot to complement them on the graphics (still impressed they managed to emulate the GameCube's quality with the DS's N64-esce ability.. other than the obvious lower resolution you really couldn't tell). Overall I gave them props and made sure to mention features I want to continue in future Mario Karts (particularly the inclusion of Retro courses).

Edit: In retrospect I should have mentioned Mission Mode. I enjoyed it but it was quite possibly the most pointless mode. There was no reward there. You didn't unlock anything, you didn't even get trophies.

P.S. - heh, now that I'm thinking about it I miss SMK's Rainbow Road. I want to see them bring that back in a future Retro cup mode. Probably the hardest Rainbow Road because it didn't have the freaking guard rails over everything. Some of the later ones didn't (Double Dash & DS in some situations but not all) but this one was pure no walls and narrow tracks. It was great :)

vegeta1215
12-16-2005, 02:07 AM
I took that survey today too. I also wrote quite a bit in the those paragraph sections. Like you, I hope they read it and use our feedback to improve things in the future.

I totally forgot to mention mission mode. I've only done two chapters of it, and sadly I don't have much motivation to finish them since there's no reward. They do remind me of the Story Mode in F-Zero GX (which is super hard). Each one focuses on a different technique, which helps you improve your racing. There's more incentive to finish the F-Zero GX story modes, cause you unlock extra characters by doing so. I still have four to unlock from Very Hard mode...not sure when I'll get to that.

About the Retro Tracks - they picked some good ones, but I think they chose too many
"plain raceway" courses such as Mario Circuit (SNES), Peach Circuit (GBA), Luigi Circuit (DD), Luigi Circuit (GBA), Yoshi Circuit (DD - this one's awesome though). I would've liked to have seen some more variety.

Warlock
12-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I took that survey today too. I also wrote quite a bit in the those paragraph sections. Like you, I hope they read it and use our feedback to improve things in the future.

I totally forgot to mention mission mode. I've only done two chapters of it, and sadly I don't have much motivation to finish them since there's no reward. They do remind me of the Story Mode in F-Zero GX (which is super hard). Each one focuses on a different technique, which helps you improve your racing. There's more incentive to finish the F-Zero GX story modes, cause you unlock extra characters by doing so. I still have four to unlock from Very Hard mode...not sure when I'll get to that.

About the Retro Tracks - they picked some good ones, but I think they chose too many
"plain raceway" courses such as Mario Circuit (SNES), Peach Circuit (GBA), Luigi Circuit (DD), Luigi Circuit (GBA), Yoshi Circuit (DD - this one's awesome though). I would've liked to have seen some more variety.

Mission Mode is worth finishing just because it's pretty fun and unique. Technically if you get * ranking on the first 6 of them you unlock a 7th level but that's not really what I'd call a real unlockable. You don't get better karts or anything like that.

Actually those courses are ok. Peach Circuit and Luigi's Circuit are a little too similar though (other than graphics). But they are very windy. Mario Circuit was the very first Mario Kart level ever (Super Mario Kart - Mushroom Cup level 1) so I'm glad they included it. Banshee Boardwalk wasn't the best though. Some of the Ghost House courses in the first Mario Kart would have been better (though they were more fun with the feather :D). There were probably other more deserving MK64 courses. I hate Frappe Snowland too but maybe that's just me (the other snow one in the game was a ton better.. the one with the penguins).

Cloral
12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I didn't like Frappe Snow Land either. It was just boring. Sherbet Land was really hard at first, but once I got used to avoiding the penguins and learned how much of the cracks I could hop over it was fairly enjoyable. It was one of the best looking courses on MK64 since the reflection looked pretty cool.

vegeta1215
12-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I like Frappe Snowland cause I kick ass on that track ;)

Warlock
12-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I didn't like Frappe Snow Land either. It was just boring. Sherbet Land was really hard at first, but once I got used to avoiding the penguins and learned how much of the cracks I could hop over it was fairly enjoyable. It was one of the best looking courses on MK64 since the reflection looked pretty cool.

At least someone agrees with me. It's just endless snow with a couple easy-to-dodge snowmen and a tunnel. OOOOooooo... It's boring :P I do like Choco Mountain though and I was glad to see that one. In particular it was so blatently obvious that they boosted the graphics in there that it looked freaking great. The fog was amazing and everything just looked really sharp.

One I would have liked to see was DK Jungle. DK Jungle always gets the shaft. That was a really fun course. A little short but really fun (jumping over the boat and the cave at the end were both cool). DK Mountain in Double Dash as well I would have loved. I guess because they already had the super accelerator in two other new courses and the Yoshi one (the new one) had cliffs it would have been too similar? I hate that Yoshi one. I still do. They could ditch that and throw DK Mountain in.. maybe in place of the DD one SHAPED like Yoshi :D heh.. though that one is not terrible. Baby Park though, now there's a stupid course.

But yes, like I said I want to see the Retro division in all future Mario Karts. That was just a great idea. Though now they have 5 MKs to fall back on and balance would be hard. I suppose they could always mix-and-match or maybe boost the cup number to 5 so say, the first one is all from Super Mario Kart, second all from MK64, etc. But I dunno :)

vegeta1215
12-16-2005, 10:00 PM
What are you talking about? Baby Park is awesome! It's easily one of the most frenzied courses available, and it's so much fun cause it's always a close race.

I was thinking the same thing about DK Jungle (N64). I think it would have fit perfectly into the Retro cup and would've added a little more variety.

Kairyu
12-18-2005, 02:14 PM
It would have been neat to see a Retro cup which contained all four previous Rainbow Roads.

A lot of the courses I hated at first have grown on me, like Desert Hills and DK Pass. I still think Baby Park is bad, though. It's just five laps of item throwing. I mean, isn't that what battle mode is for?

Warlock
12-18-2005, 11:58 PM
It would have been neat to see a Retro cup which contained all four previous Rainbow Roads.

A lot of the courses I hated at first have grown on me, like Desert Hills and DK Pass. I still think Baby Park is bad, though. It's just five laps of item throwing. I mean, isn't that what battle mode is for?

Thank you!

And I do like Desert Hills. It's such a nostalgic SMB3 course :D Plus it's pretty fun. It's about the only Mario Kart desert course I've liked. DK Pass is ok but not the best. Not as good as DK Mountain in Double Dash.