PDA

View Full Version : Tiered secrets, lock blocks, and layers

Aegix Drakan
11-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Firstly: I need to know how to set the undercombo for Lock blocks and lock block copycats

second: How do I do tiered secrets? I have a river I want to turn around when one whistle tile is triggered, but I want another whistle tile to reset the river.

third: How the heck do I do layering? I've messed around with some layers before, and noe of them worked properly. HOW DO I DO IT RIGHT?

Currently using 2.10

Please help!

koopa
11-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Lock blocks: the combo immediately after the lock block in the combo list.

Tiered secrets: place "down" river and put 16 secret flags on it. In the secrets page put the "up" river in the 16 secret. Ctrl+click the tile and set a 17 flag. Put the "down" river in the 17 secret combo, ctrl-click it and put flag 16 on it. Each whistle will change the direction.

Aegix Drakan
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks koopa!

And could someone tell me how to load a new tiles set into a quest?

fire dragon
11-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks koopa!

And could someone tell me how to load a new tiles set into a quest?

It is very easy job.First download tiles what you want.Then check that them are gif,jpg or bmp.Then go Quest>Graphics>tiles
Then search empty space and press button "Grab"on down side screen.Then click File and search your tile image.Then choose what tiles you want grab,and press OK.

About layering,First create screen where is your extra graphics.
Then go to screen where you want put them.Go Data>Layers and now you see many boxes.If you want that graphics is on 6 layer,fill that layer's boxes.First map number and then screen coordinates.
If you have problems with transparency,you must color areas what you want be transparent using pallettes color that have "x"
on it.Usually it is black.

Good luck!

DeFray
11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
If you want to load a whole tileset into your quest all at once...

Open the quest that contains the tileset you want
Click File(?) -> Export -> Graphics Pack
Give the graphics pack a name, ending with .zgp
Open your other quest
Click File->Import->Graphics Pack
Select the .zgp file you just created

This should overwrite all pallettes, tiles, and combos in your quest with the graphics from the other tileset. This will not change the maps, dmaps, etc. you already created, but you'll probably have to redraw all your screens anyway, because very few tilesets have the combos arranged in the same locations. If you want to pull new tiles and graphics into an existing quest it's better to use FireDragon's method and do some recoloring.

If you wanted to start from scratch, you could just open the quest file with the graphics you wanted, SaveAs a different name, and start work on that version as if it were a new quest.

Also remember that not everything in the import-export menu works, at least not yet. Graphics Pack will work, though, I've used it myself many times.

rocksfan13
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Also, you should know. Placing tiles on layer 3 and above, link will walk under as if it is an overhead tile. These tiles ignore the walkability of the tile in use, so make sure you want them as overheads. These are the layers you put clouds, rain, birds, and bridges on. If you use rain or clouds, be sure to check them as transparent, otherwise they will not look right.

Layers 1 and 2 are the ground layers. Anything here, link will run into. If there is a tile on any of these layers that is unwalkable, link will not walk on them. These are the layers you would put floor patterns and npc's on.

Aegix Drakan
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Thank you everyone! Looks like I have some serious work ahead of me... :(

BTW, I love the joke in your signature Firedragon! :laughing:

ShadowTiger
11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
FYI, importing a tileset into a pre-existing quest really isn't as easy as it looks. The Combo pages are different. The placement of the combos on the combo page makes a huge difference, really. It's like, ... ... Y'know when you smack down a combo onto the screen, .. then right-click on that combo in the combo page/list, and change it around, ... then all the combos in the entire quest change with it? Well, ... ... yeah. :p I'm sure you see the problem. Just because you have a new combo page doesn't mean all the combos will magically be similar. You'll see weird things like unbombed cave entrances where 1x1 trees used to be, rivers where land used to be, ... ... oy, it's just ... chaos.

That's why you're probably better off starting from scratch. But hey, at least you'll have had the previous experiences of your quest under your belt. :) That's as good a starting place as any, really. You've already made and learned from your previous mistakes.

fire dragon
11-15-2005, 09:41 AM
And often when you load full tileset,it is qst file,when you really don't need do anything.Just start your quest.

BTW,I like that joke too.I remember how I laughed,when I heard it first time :laughing: