PDA

View Full Version : blue candle won't burn trees?!?

rainier90
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
I have the blue candle, and I am unable to burn any trees in version 2.10??

Help!! :mad:

ShadowTiger
11-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Which trees are you trying to burn? O_o' Either you don't have any magic with which to burn the trees, (It's a quest rule you can enable, which depends on the quest.) Or maybe you've already used it once on the screen and you can't use it again, ... Or maybe the trees you're trying to burn just don't have a burn flag on them. :p

Could you show us a screenshot of the tree you're trying to burn?

Freedom
11-12-2005, 11:39 PM
2.10 test quest won't give you bombs either.
Either open it up and fix it in zquest or play another quest, you can't beat that one as it is.
To fix it, open it in zquest and go into rules and change candle uses magic by just clicking the x off.
to fix the bombs go into init. data and replace the 0 with 4 in the number of bombs and max bombs.

rainier90
11-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Which trees are you trying to burn? O_o' Either you don't have any magic with which to burn the trees, (It's a quest rule you can enable, which depends on the quest.) Or maybe you've already used it once on the screen and you can't use it again, ... Or maybe the trees you're trying to burn just don't have a burn flag on them. :p

Could you show us a screenshot of the tree you're trying to burn?

I was trying to burn trees that were known to have hidden passages in them (e.g., to get a heart container, rupees, etc.). I have only been burning trees that have known passages/rooms in them. But so far the blue candle won't burn any of them......frustrating! So you're saying I need to get "magic" in order to burn the trees? I was unaware of this. What magic do I need and where do I find it? I've already cleared levels 1-4, and figured I would have found something up that point.

Thanks for your help!

LavaBall
11-13-2005, 05:24 AM
I think its becouse he didnt put the burn flag or maybe secret combos?

koopa
11-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Does the candle produce any flame at all? If no then the "candle uses magic" option is set and you don't have any. Which quest are you playing? It's a well known bug that, like freedom said, bombs and candles don't work in 2.10 test quest. If that's it post back and someone will tell you how to fix it.

LavaBall
11-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Why they dont work on it?

koopa
11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Because whoever made the quest forgot to set something up correctly.
To fix, open zquest and load the file.

Bombs: Quest -> init data -> items. Set bombs max to someting greater than 0.
Candle: Quest -> rules -> page 4. UNselect "enable magic", "wand uses magic", "candle uses magic". Save and you're done.

rainier90
11-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes, the candle does produce a flame. I am playing the first quest of the original zelda, nothing out of the ordinary.... I know nothing about a "burn flag." My bombs work just fine, its only the candle that when I shoot a flame on a tree that I know should be able to be burned, the secret area does not show up.

When I try to pull up the 1st quest (Original NES Quest) in ZQuest, it asks for a password,which I do not know, so I can't modify anything.

LavaBall
11-13-2005, 01:45 PM
If there is no burn flag then it obvius wont get burned

koopa
11-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Ok I didn't explain well enough. The 2.10demo custom quest has this bug, not the official 1st and 2nd quests. You don't have to change anything there (and you can't anyway).

Burn flags is an issue when you make your own quests, that too shouldn't concern you in the 1st and 2nd.

Possibly the 1st quest doesn't have all the secrets in the same places as the NES game. It was totally reprogrammed and not just copied from a rom. I've played it myself and most of them work.

Edit: and you needn't worry about magic either.

rainier90
11-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Ok, so.....hmmm...can someone tell me a spot where you know for sure a tree is able to be burned then in ZC, so I can try and see if it works? Or is there something I'm missing that I'm supposed to be doing? Man, I remember playing this game on the original NES back when I was in grade school, and never had any problems with burning trees w/ the blue candle. The huge problem w/ me not being able to burn trees right now...is that I am one heart short of the magic sword and can't get thru Level 5 because my White Sword is too darn weak, and I get destroyed by the blue knights in the dungeon. So I need to burn trees to get another Heart Container....sigh....so frustrating..

copsgotguns
11-13-2005, 11:36 PM
...i feel your newbie pain too, man.

koopa
11-14-2005, 11:58 AM
The "official" walkthrough for the zc 1st quest is here (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/walkthroughs/legend_of_zelda_b.txt)
and I think all "burn spots" mentioned there work.

rainier90
11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
The "official" walkthrough for the zc 1st quest is here (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/walkthroughs/legend_of_zelda_b.txt)
and I think all "burn spots" mentioned there work.
yep, that's the one I've been using, and none of the burnable trees are working.

rainier90
11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
can someone else download the 2.10 version and try out the original 1st quest to confirm this? I used the 1st character listed on the character screen...

DefEdge
11-15-2005, 05:15 PM
First file given with 2.10 is the BS 1st file. This tree is located in the woods to the west, one screen west and one screen south of the entrance to lvl 7's pond.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/DefEdge/burnable.jpg

rainier90
11-16-2005, 01:09 AM
First file given with 2.10 is the BS 1st file. This tree is located in the woods to the west, one screen west and one screen south of the entrance to lvl 7's pond.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/DefEdge/burnable.jpg

yep, tried that exact same tree. When I use the candle on it, the flame goes over the tree, yet .....no hidden stairs. WTF??? Is there something you must do before this feature works?

copsgotguns
11-16-2005, 03:43 AM
that tree doesnt appear to have a burn flag. im guessing if u put 1 on it using zquest...however i have no idea how to do that. That problems appears much later in the game though, im still stuck on level 4. theres no boss key! in guessing the problem is in the room where you get the dungeon map. theres a hole probably to go to a basement but you can just walk right over it. id like to know how to correct both of these.

Saffith
11-16-2005, 04:03 AM
When I use the candle on it, the flame goes over the tree, yet .....no hidden stairs. WTF???Wait, you're not standing right next to the tree, are you? You have to stand back a space, so the flame stops moving there.

rainier90
11-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Wait, you're not standing right next to the tree, are you? You have to stand back a space, so the flame stops moving there.

BINGO!! That was my problem. man, I can't believe it was something so simple! Yes, I was standing right next to the trees. It works now, thank you all for your help!! :)

DefEdge
11-16-2005, 04:49 PM
that tree doesnt appear to have a burn flag. im guessing if u put 1 on it using zquest...however i have no idea how to do that. That problems appears much later in the game though, im still stuck on level 4. theres no boss key! in guessing the problem is in the room where you get the dungeon map. theres a hole probably to go to a basement but you can just walk right over it. id like to know how to correct both of these.

Your particular problem has to do with the 2.10test file. I'll tell you how to fix it. In the room where you have that corridoor thing, it's 4 tiles. One of the cave tiles is set as stairs, and the other is set as Cave (walk down). Go into the ZQuest editor and change the one that is cave to stairs, and you'll be able to get the boss key and continue.

King Aquamentus
11-16-2005, 07:36 PM
BINGO!! That was my problem. man, I can't believe it was something so simple! Yes, I was standing right next to the trees. It works now, thank you all for your help!! :)

By "over the tree", if the flame tile stops ANYWHERE over a tree tile, it should work. This is a great way to check 2 or possibly more trees at once, which is great if you're searching for secrets with the rather inconvenient blue candle.