PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know Captain Obvious was a scientist!

Tygore
11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Scientists: Sleepy Students Perform Worse (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_on_he_me/sleepy_students)

I'd like to thank all the brilliant scientists who came up with this startling realization. It makes me so glad I live in an age where my tax dollars can fund such important research.

Jigglysaint
11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
It it's so obvious, why then do many students not get the sleep they need?

Next thing you know they will do a study and find that sober students perform better on tests.

Machiavelli
11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Sleepy students preform worse. I could've told them that, all they had to do was ask.

AlexMax
11-11-2005, 11:52 PM
You never know. Sometimes, crazy shit comes up in studies on what most people consider mundane things.

zoraking
11-12-2005, 12:30 AM
There is a kid in my class that sleeps about 3 hours a night and he gets straight "A's", so there is a counterexample in existence.

<500th Post (w00t!)

Daarkseid
11-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Scientists: Sleepy Students Perform Worse (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_on_he_me/sleepy_students)

I'd like to thank all the brilliant scientists who came up with this startling realization. It makes me so glad I live in an age where my tax dollars can fund such important research.

Your government is already wasting your tax dollars on things far more unworthy than a scientific study into something that was probably commonly known. And besides, research, despite coming to a widely known conclusion, still yields extra information and statistics that can be lended towards more useful scientific projects.

goKi
11-12-2005, 02:30 AM
Wow. Now that they know that for sure, how about confirming that jumping from a higher building has a higher chance of death. Human tests should do. Then... maybe, if you've got some time left, cancer or AIDS?

Darth Marsden
11-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Ah, there's hundereds of useless test studies going on in the world. You've got tons that says kids who watch more violent movies will become more violent themselves (like duh), there's the countless video game studies which I won't go into at all ("In the wake of a Japanese study that claims that computer games can damage children's brains, the European Leisure Software Publishers Association points to an earlier British study which shows that gaming can be as beneficial as taking part in physical sporting activity") and then you've got one like the case where a group of CIOs were asked which was more important to them these days: 3G or WiFi. Take a wild guess at the answer.

And don't get me started on the UK's studies which have resulted in us becoming a nanny state. Apparently, it's dangerous for under-14s to use fountain pens. TRUE STORY. I'm beginning to slowly hate my country.

Lutraphobiac
11-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Tests are going on all the time in the field of science. The media is quite picky on what studies to announce and seems to like to state the findings as fact....

One time I saw a study conducted on the news to see if video games caused anger. All they did was measure the kids heartrate while playing a videa game. Yes, astonishing news that people's heartrate increases when they are stimulate by entertainment. It did not prove at all that it caused aggression yet that is the leap of logic the Scientist made.

ShadowTiger
11-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Tests are going on all the time in the field of science. The media is quite picky on what studies to announce and seems to like to state the findings as fact....

One time I saw a study conducted on the news to see if video games caused anger. All they did was measure the kids heartrate while playing a videa game. Yes, astonishing news that people's heartrate increases when they are stimulate by entertainment. It did not prove at all that it caused aggression yet that is the leap of logic the Scientist made.Well, they only have so many methods of testing. Asking them isn't the best method, because people can lie, or exaggerate, or can't give an accurate description of what they're feeling.

Are these tests done like, at random? Or is there a specific reason for deciding to test these things?