PDA

View Full Version : Superstition

zoraking
11-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Does anyone here have any superstitions like walking under a ladder is bad luck? If so, which ones are they?

I personally don't beleieve in superstitions except for one; "Step on a crack break you mother's back." But seriously, I don't center my life around avoiding bad superstitions. In fact, whenever I can go against a bad superstition, (ie, purposely tipping the salt and not throwing some behind me.) I do.

MacWeirdo42
11-10-2005, 06:10 PM
I try not to think about superstitions. It's bad luck.

Glitch
11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I personally have none, but a bunch of friends of mine have this thing with knife that open. Whoever opens it has to close it. They will seriously leave it open till you go over a few days later.

Vivionsho
11-10-2005, 06:26 PM
They always had said that crossing a Black Cat is bad luck, i dont know if it's true or not, I get chills whenever i see one...but other than that i dont think about them.

Machiavelli
11-10-2005, 07:44 PM
They always had said that crossing a Black Cat is bad luck, i dont know if it's true or not, I get chills whenever i see one...but other than that i dont think about them.Two of my cats are black. And I'm a pretty lucky person.

I personally don't have any superstitions. The only thing used to do was that whole 'knock on wood so you don't jinx yourslef' thing. Alot of people I know ore superstitious though. If I open up a umberlla inside and threaten to put it over their head, they are at my mercy. One friend strongly believes that splitting poles is bad luck, even if she's not the one doing it. I split the pole when I was with her a few times and she refused to keep going unless I walk back around, even to the point where she pulls me back. We joke about it but in the end, I do (for her sake).

ShadowTiger
11-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I seriously don't have a single Superstition. I know some of them are based on an event which may have caused its creation, but those may have been one-time events. No sense getting your balls in a bunch (ew. lol.) over something that happened once, .. maybe twice, ..

SeirraMist
11-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I work on the idea that for every good luck you have there will come a equal value of bad luck, and vise versa. So say you have bad luck for 4 days, then youll most likely have good luck for 4 days ect. ect... dosent always work, but is a good way to deal with bad days.

Master Ghaleon
11-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Before a football game I would listen to the same 3 songs, stretch in the same routine and get 2 fruit punch gatorades before the game. I always had to have it like that. More of a ritual then a superstition I guess.

Beldaran
11-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Two of my cats are black. And I'm a pretty lucky person.

I personally don't have any superstitions. The only thing used to do was that whole 'knock on wood so you don't jinx yourslef' thing. Alot of people I know ore superstitious though. If I open up a umberlla inside and threaten to put it over their head, they are at my mercy. One friend strongly believes that splitting poles is bad luck, even if she's not the one doing it. I split the pole when I was with her a few times and she refused to keep going unless I walk back around, even to the point where she pulls me back. We joke about it but in the end, I do (for her sake).

What is "splitting the pole"?

Master Ghaleon
11-11-2005, 01:10 AM
I heard that term used before meaning walking through fences if its the same thing as Machiavelli is talking about. Like a pickett fence.

Machiavelli
11-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Splitting the pole is when, well...when your walking down a sidewalk, you pass a pole but instead of walking on the side that faces the sidewalk, you walk on the side that faces the road. You're closer to the edge of the sidewalk. Thats the best description I can give right now. I'm sleepy.

*b*
11-11-2005, 02:32 AM
no real superstitions here. I've got my trivial little rituals, and things that I just don't do, but no supertitions

MottZilla
11-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Breaking a mirror was considered bad luck because in those times a mirror was particularly expensive. But most of these things are just bullshit things people say to have something to say. That knife thing is annoying too. It's just a knife retard.

Darth Marsden
11-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Nah, nothing really. I'm not a superstitious(sp?) person. I do have fun walking uder ladders and have friends saying "What they hell are you doing?!", that's always a laugh.

mikeron
11-11-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't walk under ladders because I don't want shit to fall on me.

Aegix Drakan
11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm not really superstitious

but I do go through a little ritual right before a tough boss fight in a game.
(strecthes back, cracks knuckes, that kind of thing.)

my brother though, hooo boy! :rolleyes: he carries a "lucky coin" around everywhere. when something bad happens, he blames it on the situation (yells at dice for coming up 1 instead of 6), and if he gets even the tiniest lucky break he jumps up and yells "YES!!!! THANK YOU LUCKY COIN!!!"

mind you, he is still a young guy, so I guess he's intitled to do crazy stuff like that.
but still, sheesh... :sweat: