PDA

View Full Version : RPG Maker's

Vivionsho
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Has anyone used the RPGMaker's 2000, XP? And if there anyother good game makers out there I would like to know about them, and if you use the RPG maker's post here about your games and such! :D

zoraking
11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
RPG Maker 2000 > all other Rpg Makers ...period.

I know a site for some games if I can remember it. Just search for "Legion Saga" until I can find the URL. When I do, I'll edit this post. The site has about 20+ games.

Darth Marsden
11-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I've dabbled with the RPG Maker series. I have to admit to quite liking it. I do wish there was something similar to make 3D RPGs, but the only programs like that which I know off are for the PS2. Shame, really.

DarkFlameWolf
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
My games are:
Land of Dreams (my freshman effort)
and
Megaman Tournament (sophmore effort)

And upcoming: Amulet of Fate (Junior and final effort)

KingArthur
11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
OHRRPGCE is pretty damn good, if you gan get it to run properly in winxp
www.hamsterrepublic.com

Vivionsho
11-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I've dabbled with the RPG Maker series. I have to admit to quite liking it. I do wish there was something similar to make 3D RPGs, but the only programs like that which I know off are for the PS2. Shame, really.
There is a RPG Maker 3 coming out for the PS2 it's suppose to be alot better than the prevoius ones!

And Dark wolf would it be possible to download your games?

DarkFlameWolf
11-10-2005, 01:37 PM
yes, www.gamingw.net
You can look up Land of Dreams in the 'L' section of their RPG games.
And Megaman Tournament in the 'M' section of their Strategy games.

Darth Marsden
11-10-2005, 01:44 PM
There is a RPG Maker 3 coming out for the PS2 it's suppose to be alot better than the prevoius ones!Do you know of anything like that on the PC though? Wish there was.

mrz84
11-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I use RPG Maker 2003. I'm working on my first project (which some of you may remember, maybe not) titled "Random RPG: Revenge of the Banned" which plays of my Bar-Buddies webcomic and some of the characters for whacky fun. Example: every time a cat meows, a random battle ensues. Nuff said. anyways, Dragon Omega is also still working on his AGN Fantasy RPG which has been facing one delay after another thanks to all the moving around he's been doing. (and busy with a part-time job to boot.) so anyone still willing to wait for it can be rest assured becasue he still is determined to finish what he started. :kawaii:

Vivionsho
11-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Do you know of anything like that on the PC though? Wish there was.

No, unfortunately I know nothing of a game on the PC like it

zoraking
11-10-2005, 06:47 PM
www.gamingw.net

That's the one. Thank you DFW. I couldn't find it in my bookmarks, and now I can revisit it! :D

Dechipher
11-10-2005, 11:44 PM
A while back there was a Network RPG Maker. But that whole site that had it and a bunch of others is gone now.

KJAZZ
11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Dragon Omega is also still working on his AGN Fantasy RPG which has been facing one delay after another thanks to all the moving around he's been doing. (and busy with a part-time job to boot.) so anyone still willing to wait for it can be rest assured becasue he still is determined to finish what he started. :kawaii:

Wow. Dragon Omega still exists? :mischief:

And he's working on the AGN Fantasy RPG?

Wow. That takes me back.

DarkFlameWolf
11-12-2005, 01:14 AM
MRZ84: Random battles? How can they be random when they activate every time a cat meows? You might as well called it random meowing! :D

Vivionsho
11-12-2005, 12:30 PM
MRZ84: Random battles? How can they be random when they activate every time a cat meows? You might as well called it random meowing! :D

Haha yeah you have a piont

BTW: I use RPG Maker XP, and I used to use the RPG Maker for PS1, it sucked but it was easy to use. I think that I have made like 5 or 6 games, most of them deleted because they were just for fun, but the only thing I don't get about the RPG Makers is how to use the Variables, I used to be able to use them on RPG Maker 2003 and now I have no clue how to use them on the XP I know how to use switches but the Variables bafle me....

Someone help please!

Samson007
11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I made one a long time ago, it was pretty good but the files got lost when we re-formatted our hard drive and i forgot to back up all the information in my folder. Shame really, I was pretty far, when I ran through what I had done as a trial it took about an hour. And I wasnt even close to done at that point.

VT_Hokie_Fan
11-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, the way i know how to do variables is during a conversation.

For example:
Hero1: I need to choose a path
Narrator: Choose...
Path 1
Path 2

Then execute variable, if they say path 1, have the hero say something.
if he chooses path 2, have the hero say something else.

That's a terrible explanation, but hopefully it gave you a general idea on what it is used for.

DarkFlameWolf
11-13-2005, 08:43 PM
O_o, that's more of a choice option than applying to variables. Think of variables in terms of algebraic formulas. x, y, z. Anything can be substituted for those letters. Just like in algebra. Same goes for RPGMaker. Any number value can exist in those variables. Maybe you want the game to check the player's level, or maybe how much money he/she has? Or how about how many battles they've won, escaped, lost, fought? Or maybe a random number variable which will dictate if it should rain next time day changes to night or vice versa? Or maybe a random number determining what a player will get when they open said treasure chest where the contents are random? The purpose of variables is vast and can be used for just about anything, including making innovative mini-games. Hell, I re-created the Chocobo Hot and Cold game from Final Fantasy 9 using rm2k3 using mainly variables and fork conditions with a few switches here and there.
Switches have only two values: ON or OFF and fork conditions you create will be based only on those two values. This is generally only good for dialogue pieces or other simple operations.
Variables can have any variable you want it to be, and thus are more valuable. Could you possibly create a game based purely on variables only and no switches? Yep! Can you create a game based purely on switches and no variables? Yep, but it'd be kinda dull!
So there you have it!

Vivionsho
11-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Well, the way i know how to do variables is during a conversation.

For example:
Hero1: I need to choose a path
Narrator: Choose...
Path 1
Path 2

Then execute variable, if they say path 1, have the hero say something.
if he chooses path 2, have the hero say something else.

That's a terrible explanation, but hopefully it gave you a general idea on what it is used for.

Heh i know what they are used for...but I don't know how to use them... I'll just stick to switches...

Vivionsho
11-15-2005, 10:28 AM
O_o, that's more of a choice option than applying to variables. Think of variables in terms of algebraic formulas. x, y, z. Anything can be substituted for those letters. Just like in algebra. Same goes for RPGMaker. Any number value can exist in those variables. Maybe you want the game to check the player's level, or maybe how much money he/she has? Or how about how many battles they've won, escaped, lost, fought? Or maybe a random number variable which will dictate if it should rain next time day changes to night or vice versa? Or maybe a random number determining what a player will get when they open said treasure chest where the contents are random? The purpose of variables is vast and can be used for just about anything, including making innovative mini-games. Hell, I re-created the Chocobo Hot and Cold game from Final Fantasy 9 using rm2k3 using mainly variables and fork conditions with a few switches here and there.
Switches have only two values: ON or OFF and fork conditions you create will be based only on those two values. This is generally only good for dialogue pieces or other simple operations.
Variables can have any variable you want it to be, and thus are more valuable. Could you possibly create a game based purely on variables only and no switches? Yep! Can you create a game based purely on switches and no variables? Yep, but it'd be kinda dull!
So there you have it!

Thank you for that explaination Dark Flame wolf, but can someone tell me how to use them like what are the numbers used for? and things like that I tried to get my friend to explain it to me but he's more confusing than ever

DarkFlameWolf
11-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I just told you! lol
Variables, in and of themselves are USELESS! Just as switches in and of themselves are USELESS! They do NOT work for ANYTHING unless you have fork conditions or conditional requirements for certain events or processes to occur. For example, you have multiple pages in an event right? For the game to decide which page it must properly be executing at any given time when that event is activated, it looks to see if there are any pre-existing requirements for each page, and if they should be fulfilled, it'll execute the page in the event whose requirement is fulfilled. (with higher 'numbered' pages being given greater priority over lower 'numbered' pages within the event) If there is no switch or variable to check on for pre-requesite requirements on if a certain page should be executed or not, it'll just default to the next highest numbered page in the event that requires no pre-requesites. Not sure how much easier I can explain it than that.
Without fork conditions and other processes to CHECK on if a switch is on or off, to check to see if a variable is a certain value or within a certain range, they are utterly useless by themselves.

EDIT: EASY EXAMPLE - Deciding if a player has enough money:
"Hello sir! Do you have 4500 gil to board this train?"
Sets variable (doesn't matter what number it is) to the amount of money the player currently has.
Fork condition CHECKS to see if the player has at LEAST 4500 gil in stock.
If he does:
"You can board sir!" (and player boards train)
if he does not:
"BACK OFF YOU BUM! YOU HAVE NOT ENOUGH MONEY!" (Usher body-slams player back from the train) :laughing:

That's all exaggerated of course, but that's the simplest example I could think of using a variable. But see what I mean? It checks for numeric values with variables. Unlike switches where its simply ON or OFF.

mrz84
11-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Could you possibly create a game based purely on variables only and no switches? Yep! Can you create a game based purely on switches and no variables? Yep, but it'd be kinda dull!

my Random RPG game doesn't have any variables and runs its plot virtually on switches alone. and btw, the random battle thing is that when you encounter one, the sound for when it goes to the battle screen is a cat meowing. and for humor, when an enemy dies, a sheep baas. :kawaii:

Aegix Drakan
11-29-2005, 02:12 PM
PRG Maker xp = teh awesomeness (sorry if that sounded n00bish)

My friend just gave it to me two days ago. IT SERIOUSLY ROCKS! I almost forgot To leave for school this mornig it was so good!

That said, my RPG is only just beginning, but so far, it OWNS! I am planning Charaters with a heck of a lot of history to them, and the story will be great! Of course, I won't forget about the ZC quest i'm making.

Characters I've begun developing so far are:

Hyriu: main character, 18 years old. He lives in the village of Mystics. The story starts on the day is to be initiated as a full-fledged mystic. kind hearted, but strong-willed.

Maya: 17 year old thief. You meet her almost immediatly after your adventure begins. She used to be a treasure hunter, but now she is forced to steal in order to survive.

Seth: 21 years old, ex-imperial soldier, lancer-type. He quit the empire, for reasons he will not disclose.

Isaac: 18 years old. known as "the gunner". He bears a deep hatred of the empire. Wanted by the empire, massive reward for his capture.

Xyall: 19 years old. A martial artist. Longs to be known across the world, even if it means breaking all the rules.

That's about it for now. I've been having to edit a heck of a lot though, because I don't want my characters to start off with 500 hp. I've had to scale down their level ups, monster strength, and character strength.
if you have any suggestions or advice, it is all appreciated!
Long live the RPG MAKERS!

[Edit] when making custom animations, how do you rotate the "tiles" that make up the animation? I want to make a tech were the sword slashes from both directions.

Also, I have a big question, my RPG depends on it.
if I have party member (let's say Maya) and she leaves the party via an event, if by a secn event, she rejoins the party, do her stats reset?

I mean Like this: Lv1 maya joins party. levels up. lv 2 maya leaves the party. later maya rejoins the party. when she rejoins, is she lv1 or lv 2?

I DESPERATLY NEED TO KNOW!!!

mrz84
11-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I use events for managing party members and to my knowledge (and experience) they retain EVERYTHING from when they left UNLESS you use an event to change that. I'm just speaking from my knowledge and experience with RPGMaker2k3 though...

Tygore
11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the data is retained for all characters, even if they leave the party. I'm also working on an RMXP game that should be pretty nice. Have a couple of scripts I'm looking at that should be pretty fun. I'm not using a standard level up system at all. If anything, it's closer to the sphere grid of FFX (although admittedly simpler).

DarkFlameWolf
12-01-2005, 12:15 AM
heh, I've been working on my rpg for about 3 years. I'm just not finally working on the actual story flow and main plot flow now. So I'd say I'm about close to half done.

Dart Zaidyer
12-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I've always found that the event system in RPG Maker is based more or less on actual logic instead of obscure scripting jargon or what-have-you. It really shouldn't be hard to work with it once you're familiar with the terms.
I'd say probably the hardest thing to learn about RPG Maker is how to balance everything if you plan on erasing the standard RTP defaults. There's a surprising amount of work involved to get it all to fit together. Well, that is if you don't mind throwing in all kinds of rips of varying style and quality and calling it a day.

Aegix Drakan
12-01-2005, 10:49 AM
:)

Thanks everyone! I might change some of the characters (or add some more) because of an Idea I had. I want to make a system where by certain events, you will gain a better relationship with each party member. at the end of the game, I want to make a certain ending for each character. let's say, if Maya's relationship is strongest, her ending plays, or if Seth has the best relationship, his ending plays. I am also thinking of putting in a character that can ONLY be obtained if your relationship with her is excellent.

my story is constantly growing (heck I've been carrying around some of these ideas since I first saw the RPG maker 2000, [that's what, like 5 years?])

I am not sure when this game will be complete (3 months?, 3 years?) but I know it will be awesome. If you have any suggestions, PM me about them!

Oh, and how to you rotate the "tiles" used for custom animations? (I know they can be rotated because the "cross slash tech" used a rotated tile.)

Thanks again!

DarkFlameWolf
12-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Use variables for each person's relationship rating with the hero. And at the end of the game, have the game check to see which one is the highest numeric value and play that ending. As for rotating tiles, you can't. You have to pop the battle animation out into a art program, copy and past the tiles you want rotated, rotate them yourself in the art program, re-save the file and import it back into rpgmaker. Crappy, huh?
As for balancing the game, about 2 years of my work on the game went to balancing. All the spells, items, weapons, enemies, attacks, skills are all balaced with each other. I play through certain monster parties exactly around the level and equipment that most first time player would run into them. If a chracter dies in under 3 turns without doing anything, its too powerful. Now given, some enemies parties later in the game have to be powerful, but not for the majority. Balancing, its a tough thing to do. And I've almost got it down pat.

Aegix Drakan
12-01-2005, 12:35 PM
:)

Thanks DarkFlameWolf! that is exactly wha tI was plannig to do! (with the variables thing). I guess I'll just have to find other ways to do custom animations.

and yeah, baleancing is tough, but neccesary. I mean, come on! a kid with a wooden sword is gonna be doing around 10 damage to his opponent, not 500!
I hope this whole thig works out... Thanks again.

If anyone wants to know the plot, just ask.

laughing1989
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Few things I wish to point out (actually use all three myself):
1. I only use switches when a variable would be wasted (if used instead), such as in a two-part conversation, or when you open a chest with set inventory.
2. RPGMaker XP has an entire scripting language. The comments are in Japanese so I can't actually tell whats going on in the system, however.
3. In XP you can rotate animation cels by double-clicking the cell and typing a number in the Rotation box. The other RPGMaker versions do not include this.
4. Custom systems are easier to create as the versions get later. A custom battle system in XP, for instance, is much easier to put together than a custom battle system in 2000.
5. Your level 2 Maya will stay a level 2 Maya until you level her up, no matter where you put her. :) The game stores a chunk of information in your system memory during play, including ALL characters' stats and equipment (regardless of current position inside or outside the actual group)

I respect the higher caps in power in XP, but I feel like there is something missing from the system (as compared to previous versions.) I'll have to check it out myself. All I know is that have sprites that are larger then... was it 32x24?... is a neat feature. The program also has little esclamation and question-mark popup animations preset. I'm lazy.

DFW, I think you (or someone with your forum handle) was in an RPG I downloaded. Are you a member of an RPGMaker forum?

EDIT: Vivionsho, variables store numbers. When you use the Set Variable event command, you can change the contents of a variable. Then, later, you can use other event commands to see what number a certain variable contains. Say you set a variable to get a random number of 0-3 for a chest. You could then use Fork Conditions/Conditional Branch to see what is inside the chest, for instance 0 contains a healing potion, 1 contains some money, 2 is a mimic/hidden monster, and 3 is a weapon/piece of armor. This can give a game a heightened sense of replayability, depending on how thorough you use variables.

Really, you ask me, variables are a FOUNDATION for a good RPG. While a good story and the usage of switches can make a good RPG, what hooks audiences are neat and original features that no one else's RPG has. I've created a Map system, a Banking system, a Property-purchase system which takes payments from your bank over time, a Day/Night and Weather system, and more. Thats also probably why I never finish an RPG, because I get frustrated from all the extra stuff I add to them. But I can't be content with an Anyone's RPG. I have to have originality.

Aegix Drakan
12-02-2005, 08:51 AM
:odd:

wow. you know a lot. that is pretty cool. I checked out another forum, and I didn't understand the scipting at all. so I think I'll just steer clear of it for now.
And I hear you, Uniqueness makes a good RPG. but a good story and memorable characters helps too.

DarkFlameWolf
12-03-2005, 01:27 AM
I made Land of Dreams (my amateur rpg, my current game I'm making now already dwarfs it in terms of quality. And I haven't even finished half of it!) and I made Megaman Tournament. So its most likely you've played a game or two of mine.

Aegix Drakan
12-04-2005, 08:35 AM
ARGH! I have come across an very annoying bug(?). I set up a little maze using the sunny forest tileset, and for some reason, my hero can walk right through whatever unwalkable tile I put as a wall! I am NOT holding down the Ctrl key, and it acts funny. like this: I walk left into water tile. I can't walk down into another water tile, but I can move up into water tile. I walk up, now, I can walk left, but not right. I also noticed it never happens when I try to walk into a "tree".

I made sure it is unwalkable, and there are NO directional passes on my tile. could someone tell me what the heck is wrong please?

DarkFlameWolf
12-04-2005, 02:08 PM
check your terrains. maybe you set it up to be walkable and set that tile to be that walkable terrain?

Aegix Drakan
12-05-2005, 03:18 PM
no no! I KNOW i set up my terrain right! I triple cecked it! I think It has something to do with the layers thoguh, cause the problem dissapears when I put the wall on layer 3... anyway, I'll figure it out.

I spent most of my weekend working on my RPG, and MAN! I designed a series of events that seriously kicks ass! :drool: Whoa! Wait! Ignore that smilie! The best part is, I have two more days off from school this week, so I can spend that much more time on my RPG!

Questions
12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I've used 2000, 2003, and XP and I'm quite good with them all. I even know a chunk of Ruby and I've written a couple scripts.

Aegix Drakan did you check directional passability?

Aegix Drakan
12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, I checked the directional passability. I am still trying to find out what went wrong.

How do you select a new tile "autolink" set? I imported my new sets as tilesets, but I don't know how to get them to appear in the menu for "autolink" tiles. I need to know, or I won't be able to continue my game (they are world map tiles)

Vivionsho
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
[Edit] when making custom animations, how do you rotate the "tiles" that make up the animation? I want to make a tech were the sword slashes from both directions.

Also, I have a big question, my RPG depends on it.
if I have party member (let's say Maya) and she leaves the party via an event, if by a secn event, she rejoins the party, do her stats reset?

I mean Like this: Lv1 maya joins party. levels up. lv 2 maya leaves the party. later maya rejoins the party. when she rejoins, is she lv1 or lv 2?

I DESPERATLY NEED TO KNOW!!!

OK, I know that this was posted like last year and stuff...but I have been gone for some time and I want to answer this question lol

To turn around the tiles Im pretty sure all you have to do is right click and there should be some type of thing to do that with, it's been so long since I've used it

Also about the character reseting, yes the character will completely reset UNLESS you dont click the Intiate character thing if you do click a check into it, it resets there stats...good for starting out a character when they first join..