PDA

View Full Version : You are capable of more

Beldaran
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
So I thought I'd post two interesting and helpful articles on being efficient and motivated. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you just focus and eliminate the mental barriers of what you believe to be impossible. Basic organization and a laser beam mental focus will take you much farther than raw genius that lacks these things.

This guy got a 4 year degree in Computer Science in 3 semesters (http://www.dexterity.com/articles/do-it-now.htm)

Tips on Time Management (http://www.dexterity.com/articles/get-more-done.htm)

His biographical information (http://www.stevepavlina.com/about-steve-pavlina.htm)

This is great info.

Glitch
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I wonder if he ever took a moment to actually enjoy life.

Rainman
11-07-2005, 05:08 PM
There are some good tips there. I really don't see the point of graduating so early though. If I were him I'd have used the time management skills to give myself more free time during college, but that's just me.

It's one of my worst fear to be a slave to my work. I'd rather devote time to living life. Of course, I could probably do both if I effectively budgetted my time.

Beldaran
11-07-2005, 06:31 PM
There are some good tips there. I really don't see the point of graduating so early though.

It was the mid 90's. He didn't want to spend 4 years in school while the tech revolution passed him by. He wanted to get in on it as fast as possible, so he accelerated his education.

Also, he wanted to test his limits. It was part practicality, and part a personal challenge.

MacWeirdo42
11-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Heh... Honestly, I just have to say, I value my time wasted. I get a lot more enjoyment and satisfaction from it than I do the time I spend on schoolwork. Although I suppose if you had real career ambitions, then maybe it makes sense, I guess. I, however, don't. I really do just want to enjoy life, and maybe if I can, make a difference somehow (considering going into teaching, actually). Hmm...

AlexMax
11-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I wasn't really impressed until a suspicion of mine arose. Doing some digging, I came across this and was impressed.

I even tried Scientology for a few months to see what that was like. I thought to myself, “Now here’s a context so many people view as completely wacko, but clearly that can’t be how the people on the inside view it.” I wanted to find out for myself, so I popped into one of their centers and basically said, “Assimilate me.” And they were more than happy to do so. I read Dianetics and took a couple courses on the basics of Scientology. Other members taught me how to do auditing (both giving and receiving), and I spent many hours at their center until I felt I had a good grasp of the basics and understood the context from the inside, including how Scientologists viewed non-Scientologists.

That was a fascinating experience. On the one hand, I definitely found some cult-like patterns there (most of which were shared with mainstream religions though). On the other hand, I found the Scientologists to be some of a nicest people I’d met, and the children seemed far beyond their years in terms of their level of awareness and consciousness. One thing I didn’t like about Scientology though was that it was nearly impossible to get off their mailing list — I received weekly mailings from them for about 5 years after quitting, even after moving several times.

Wow, he was smart enough to get the hell out of scientology while he had the chance. Nicely done.

Beldaran
11-08-2005, 02:01 AM
I wasn't really impressed

I find this to be a ridiculous notion. Who are you impressed by? What greater accomplishments have you that gives you the lofty perch from which to proclaim, "meh."

AlexMax
11-08-2005, 04:03 AM
I find this to be a ridiculous notion. Who are you impressed by? What greater accomplishments have you that gives you the lofty perch from which to proclaim, "meh."

To answer your first sentance. You're entitlted to that opinion. :)

To the second, why is who I'm impressed by and not impressed by so important to you?

Third, what kind of prerequisites do I need to have to speak my opinion? Could you explain to me, exactly, why I am wrong for being unimpressed with him.

You may now start digging for reasons to further margenalize my opinion.

Lilith
11-08-2005, 04:20 AM
Beldarowned~

DarkDragoonX
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
On one hand, it IS rather impressive that the guy did that. On the other hand, it's kind of depressing. To do that, you would have to give up your life for those three semesters. Kudos to that guy for accomplishing it, but I think that would cause me to go stark raving mad.

Beldaran
11-08-2005, 03:32 PM
To the second, why is who I'm impressed by and not impressed by so important to you?

It's not important to me, it's interesting to me; much in the same way a corrosive mold is interesting to a biologist.

Third, what kind of prerequisites do I need to have to speak my opinion?

Hey, opinions are like ass holes. Everyone's got them. But smart people have reasoning behind their opinions and typically reflect an admirable devotion to reason. You, on the other hand, who have never demonstrated tenacity or notable ability in any particular field, have proclaimed that you are unimpressed with his feat and not backed it up with any reason why. Thus, I must either assume you are completely stupid, or that you haven't given your reasoning.

So I asked for your reasoning.

Since you don't want to give your reasoning, maybe I should just assume you're stupid? It's up to you.

ooooh Alexsmacked~

MottZilla
11-09-2005, 04:23 AM
On one hand, it IS rather impressive that the guy did that. On the other hand, it's kind of depressing. To do that, you would have to give up your life for those three semesters. Kudos to that guy for accomplishing it, but I think that would cause me to go stark raving mad.

Actually he says he took atleast one day a week off to "have a life". I found most of what he said to be nothing particulary new but still true. Obviously if you're determined to do something and apply yourself you can do alot more than if you lay around day to day.