PDA

View Full Version : Two questions.

sk8boardnic
11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I hav'nt been doing this for long so these questions may seem dumb.

My first question is, when making a dungeon and putting in doors.. how do you make a locked door or a shutter actually show. I put them in, but when i test the quest they're all passages.

My second question is, I've made a block puzzle in a room where you have to push three blocks onto the switches. I've put the flags on the blocks and switches and when i test it out i get the secret sound so i know i did that right.. but i need to know how to make a key appear when you do the puzzle.

Thanks.

Freedom
11-06-2005, 03:00 PM
1) dmap type = Dungeon

2 is a pain, maybe someone else feels like typing it all in for you, or you could look in a tutorial, one way requires a chest, but then you have undercombo problems, the other reqires you to know how to use layers.

sk8boardnic
11-06-2005, 03:05 PM
1) dmap type = Dungeon

2 is a pain, maybe someone else feels like typing it all in for you, or you could look in a tutorial, one way requires a chest, but then you have undercombo problems, the other reqires you to know how to use layers.

1) It's already a dungeon.

2) I know how to make chests and use layers.

Freedom
11-06-2005, 04:12 PM
then your doors would be showing up.
in cave and overworld dmaps, doors don't work and show as passageways when you test it.

DeFray
11-06-2005, 08:39 PM
For Question 2...

I'm assuming you know how to use secret combos already, since you know how to use layers. If I'm wrong, just ask again.

Set a treasure chest as the secret combo. Set its combo type to "Slash". In the secret combos menu, hold Ctrl and click on the chest, and you'll be able to set another flag onto it. Set the "Armos->Item" flag on it. Set the undercombo for the screen to be an opened chest without a lid. Set the Special Item for the room to be the key you want to appear.

The idea is, when the player finishes the block puzzle secrets will be triggered. This will make the chest appear. Slashing the chest will remove the lid and cause the item to appear on it.

That's method one. Method two:

Pick the spot on the screen where the item will appear. Make it unwalkable. Put a secret flag on it that turns it into a normal piece of floor when secrets are triggered. Put a layer overtop of it (preferably layer 1, if layer 1 covers items-I'm not sure it does. If the item still shows up use layer 3). Make the layer look like whatever you want, it doesn't matter, but probably something that looks unwalkable.
Set a secret flag on the layer and set its secret combo to be a completely transparent tile. Finally, put the item right on this spot.

When Link enters the room he will not be able to see the item because the layer will be covering it. He will also not be able to walk over the item because you made that spot unwalkable. When the block puzzle is complete the layer should disappear, allowing the player to see the item, and the spot where the item is should become walkable. It should look to the player as though an unwalkable object just disappeared and the item appeared in its place.

If any of this was confusing, go ahead and ask, but you sound like you know what you're doing. Good luck.

Freedom
11-06-2005, 09:15 PM
the undercombo being set to chest will replace the floor tiles with chests as he pushes the block ;)

DeFray
11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh, hey, I didn't think of that. Good call, Freedom.

sk8boardnic
11-06-2005, 11:53 PM
I figured out what the problem with my first question was. I just changed it from level 0 to level 1 and it worked.

And it did work DeFray. Thanks a ton. Both of you.
:D