PDA

View Full Version : Several Problems(not really bugs)

DemonSailormoon
11-03-2005, 03:04 AM
1. How can you get Link to slash? I see that on the Link Sprites that he can slash but when I play the game, all he can do is stab.

2. How do you change Link's appearence? Like for example, I want to use some other characters I found that are the same pixels as him but I try to edit his sprites, he still remains the same when I get the game running. Also, how do you upload some of the sprites into ZQuest?

3. How do you make dungeon entrences? I try to build a temple on the overworld and then make my DMap but when I enter the temple, it just takes me to one of those shops or secret money prizes.

I'm pretty new to these things and someday I want to make my own quests.

LavaBall
11-03-2005, 04:40 AM
1)Link cant Slash like in Zelda 3 on Snes
2)Then what are you doing?You know that there are 3 different Links do you?Shield,Magic Shield and Ultimate Shield
3)Use the insta-warps

rocksfan13
11-03-2005, 08:17 AM
There are two things that can make link slash.

In the 'init data' under 'quest' click on the misc tab. There is a check box that says slash. Select it and link will slash at start.

The other is a room type 'learn slash'. Use this if you want link to wait a while through the game before being able to slash.

Also, I'm pretty sure this thread belongs in the Zquest editor help thread not here.

Freedom
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
1)Link cant Slash like in Zelda 3 on Snes
2)Then what are you doing?You know that there are 3 different Links do you?Shield,Magic Shield and Ultimate Shield
3)Use the insta-warps

This is the second time I've seen you say this, I won't want to play your quest, it will be full of continue bugs.
There is a reason for enterance / exit warps, if you die it's where Link starts again, and if a wallmaster gets you, it is where it returns you to.

LavaBall
11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Actually it does not have continue bugs cause the continue from here is toggled and I tested my W.I.P quest and it works perfectly Freedom so shut the rant up got it!

I just use insta-warp and continue from here toggled on

Freedom
11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
When Link dies, he returns to the last enterance/exit warp, or sidewarp, that's just the way it is.
You're passing out bad information.

LavaBall
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Ok I do things like this I use insta-warp and click on continue here tag and when I have died in the dungeons I returned to the Dungeon I currently am in(Not just dungeons but other overworlds aswell)So yes if you use continue from here it works

Freedom
11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
And you open yourself up for all kinds of other problems since that isn't how it was intended to be used.
Bugs like the triforce not showing up in your inventory, like wallmasters and wind wizarobe's taking you god knows where, and forcing players to start on the last visited dmap which isn't how it was originally, and may be not what they want to do.
It's set up to use a tilewarp with enterance/exit warp type to enter dungeons, and a sidewarp enterance/exit to leave a dungeon, and using the program as it was intended to be used reduces your chance of creating a bunch of bugs.

You can use it any way you want, but when people ask, you should tell them the way it was intended to be used, they may not want to spend hours trying to work around bugs that were the result of doing things wrong.

LavaBall
11-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Freedom you are used to ZQuest more then me so you know more thats true but I said it my way and yeah since you know better then give him your idea ofcourse im more new then you are to ZQuest so not all is known for me(Still discovering the uses yet)

Freedom
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I wish I had the hours back that I've wasted trying to work around bugs that I caused in the first place. ;)

LavaBall
11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
You know what I did what you said(Placed the green box on the south doorway of the Temple)But the blue and others obviusly on the top but Link comes from the blue square now which is wrong,I can give you my tst quest(test quest)Of what im doing and using entrance/exit and doing everything normally but bad results and I need help on how to do this!

Freedom
11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
When you use instant warps, link goes to the blue square, when you use enterance exit he goes to the green.
When you enter a dungeon you use a tile warp combo like cave or stairs and set the green square at the edge of the screen above the doorway inside, when you exit the dungeon you use a none combo with a sidewarp and set the blue square in front of the doorway outside so it doesn't trigger the tilewarp.
If you are using a dungeon type dmap, it causes link to walk 2 tiles forward, so if you don't have the green square right up against the edge, it will result in him walking back out the door.
I also place the blue, but out in front of the door.
If you use a tilewarp instead of sidewarp inside the dungeon he will trigger it when entering and walk back out.
when exiting the dungeon on the outside (overworld) place the blue square.
fatcatfan changed how sidewarps work in the 184 and 2.10 so double check the blue square for outside, you may need the green because of that change, I'm not sure.

VEL
11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
--Moved to ZC Quest Editor Help--

DemonSailormoon
11-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys, I already solved my slash and dungeon problem but I still haven't solved my Link problem.

Here is what I do.

ZQuest>>>Graphics>>>Sprites>>>Link

I try to edit those animated Links walking, stabbing, slashing, pounding etc to some other characters and when I play the game, he still remains the same. What is the formula(formula as in that "ZQuest>>>Graphics>>>Sprites etc" to change the way Link looks so I can play as other characters? Also, I went to purezc.com to download some Sprites for Link and all I get is these .gif files of the sprites, how do I put in those .gifs?

Freedom
11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
You need to change the actual sprites on the tile pages.
To grab the gifs images into ZQuest, go into tiles and scroll down to a blank page and click on grab, and then choose the gif, highlight the section and press ok.

Most likely you will have to recolor the sprites since the palettes probably won't match, or you can grab the palette from the gif by going into palette>levels> and choosing a new empty palette slot and clicking on grab, choosing the gif, and the palette, and clicking ok.

CLICK HERE (http://storm.prohosting.com/~mfreedom/ZC/palette/palettes.htm) for more on working with palettes.

ZeldaLord
11-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I've always though that Entrance/Exit warps worked exactly the same as having "Continue here" checked on the destination dmap...
As far as I know:
- Dying and continuing starts you back on the dmap you died on (which was the source of the "boss music in dungeon" bug), on the green square.
- Save & quitting starts you on the last "continue here"/entrance/exit warp dmap you were on, on the green square.

Despite this, I've always used entrance/exit warps, because I figured they were a part of the way ZC manages data/loads dmaps.

DemonSailormoon
11-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Well now that I got the whole palette thing done with the character I want to use. What would be the path on how to change Link into that character? Going to Graphics>>>Sprites>>>Link does not fix it because when I begin my game, he just stays as Link and not who I want him to be.

DeFray
11-04-2005, 01:07 AM
You're right, Graphics>>>Sprites>>>Link won't do anything. It may be used in future versions of ZC, but for right now, it's only there so that you can see your Link sprites and make sure they're working. The only way to change Link's sprites is to go into the tile menu and change them. (Freedom said this earlier, but I don't think you caught it. That's okay. It's a weird concept.) You can change all the other graphics and sprites through the Graphics menu, but to change Link's tiles you'll have to go into Quest>>>Graphics>>>Tiles, find the Link tiles (they'll probably be on the first page), and change them.

rocksfan13
11-04-2005, 08:22 AM
When you do this make sure you keep the tiles in the corresponding spot. Each tile has its own use and if you don't put the right tiles in the right spots, they won't show up correctly.

DemonSailormoon
11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I finally fixed that but now I have tile problems. No, its not for my character. What happens is that I don't know how to insert any tile I want into the map because not all the tiles are on that thing on the right side of the screen. I choose "edit combo" on the tile I want to replace but it doesn't work right. It will, for example, change all grave stones into rocks. Also, whats the best way on how to fix the graphics? I hate how they get all those ugly colors and how do I change them into good colors to make them more realistic? I try to do that with edit combo but it changes everything and thats not good. I tried to goto the palattes thing on Freedom's site but I can't understand it well enough, all I could understand was how to replace default palettes with palettes from downloaded gifs.

Freedom
11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
To scroll through the combos on the right, press page up/down while holding shift, or turn on mouse scroll in etc.
to add new combos from tiles, right click on an empty combo spot, click on the box in the upper left, and choose the tile.
To change colors of combos while painting screens, press - and +

koopa
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
the short answer is a tile is not a combo.

The longer (and more useful):

you scroll the right screen (the combo list) with shift+up,down, shift+pageup/pagedown or pick a combo with quest->graphics->combos.

To make a new combo, right-click some empty space (marked by red square) in the combo screen then click on the left of the three squares in the window that appears. There you choose a tile for that combo. If that's not enough go to quest->graphics->tiles, find some empty space (black) and press edit. Draw your own tile and then make a combo for it as above. It's combos not tiles you place on the map.

Graphics - you can change the cset by pressing +/- on the numpad. There are 8 in total to choose from. Also you can set different dmaps up (quest->dmaps). A dmap can use a different palette. But if it's a whole tileset you want, you have to download one and load it. Most quests (in fact all I've seen except the standard 1st/2nd) use a custom one.

I learnt my questmaking 101 from these tutorials: LTM's (http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/LTM/Tutorial/Page00.htm)
and
Happyman's (http://happyman.purezc.com/uzqt/index.php?page=p1s1)

more on tutorials is in the tutorials thread of this forum.

But if you have any more questions just post, I'm happy to help new members in the art of questmaking.

[EDIT: freedom posted right when I was writing this. Talk about coincidence ...]

Aegix Drakan
11-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Yo!

could somebody tell me how to replace the "Guys" used for strings? I want to replace the goriya with a wizzrobe.

Give me a hand people?

rocksfan13
11-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Copy the tile of wizzrobe on top of the tile for the goriya on the first page of tiles. Then every time you use the goriya guy, it will appear to be wizzrobe.

Aegix Drakan
11-04-2005, 03:25 PM
that could work! thanks!
but...how do I copy the tile? :sweat:

help please?

DeFray
11-05-2005, 01:13 AM
In the Tiles menu, push C to copy a tile and V to paste it. Or, push C to copy it but push M to paste it. If you use V, it's like copy-paste; if you use M, it's like cut-paste (the original picture is deleted).

More fun- Copy a tile and push O to overlap it over another tile. This only pastes the nontransparent parts of the first tile, allowing you to, for instance, paste a statue tile onto a grass tile to make a statue in grass. It has much better uses than that, but I can't think of any.

Push H to flip horizontally, V to flip vertically, and R to rotate. Push U to undo. Hold shift to select multiple tiles at once.

Oh, and for the "guy" issue-you could do the layer trick that is so popular, where you just delete the tile for one of the guys (normally it's fire) and then set that guy whenever you want a custom guy. Then you can put in a person on Layer 1. This allows you to have much more freedom with the placement and size of your guys.

Aegix Drakan
11-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks! That realy helped