PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind: Oblivion

Vivionsho
11-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I can't wait until the new Morrowind comes out!! I hear the AI system will awesome along with other things does anyone else heard anything else cool about it???

ShadowTiger
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
My primary motivation to play it is the Combat and physics system. Apparently, (unlike previous games) if you -see- your swing miss the enemy, ... you've missed. If you -see- your swing make contact, you've hit. ... ... ... ... And ... do you realize just how "simple" that sounds? :odd: You'd think most games would have it, but no. Oblivion is one of the first games to actually have this system. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works out.

And concerning the physics engine: I've heard that arrows, ... they stick. Maybe you can even climb on them. (I remember an old game where you could shoot arrows into the walls, and use them as stairs if you made them right. Damn cool.) You can rattle ... er ... stuff, that you find, (Chains, etc.) and if you push a bucket off of a table, it'll fall. Relatively similar to how Ultima 9 did it, only hopefully, here, it'll be a lot more realistic.

I am so looking forward to this. I hope my AMD 1800 512 MB RAm can handle it.

Rainman
11-02-2005, 03:30 PM
The name of the game is Elderscroll IV: Oblivion by the way.

I recently watched videos they have on their website. The menu system is much better than Morrowind. The forests are the most beautiful I've seen. All dialogue is audio based as well. They've got Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean doing voices. It's going to be awesome.

Aegix Drakan
11-02-2005, 03:34 PM
reminds me of the Thief games, man those were good!
You can sort of do that with the Thief games, espescially Thief: Deadly shadows. the game works quite realistically.

heck, you canpickpocket someone, they only realize tey've been robbed three seconds later, so the go and bat up the nearest other guy, a guard comes, kills them oth, leaves, and you come in and rob the corses. I'm only scratching the surface here, there is so musch you can do! (did I mention, if a guard sees blood on the floor he tries to find and kill you, but you can clear up the blood with a water arrow?)

Morrowmind sounds good if it's That realistic. happy hunting!

Rainman
11-02-2005, 03:49 PM
reminds me of the Thief games, man those were good!
You can sort of do that with the Thief games, espescially Thief: Deadly shadows. the game works quite realistically.

heck, you canpickpocket someone, they only realize tey've been robbed three seconds later, so the go and bat up the nearest other guy, a guard comes, kills them oth, leaves, and you come in and rob the corses. I'm only scratching the surface here, there is so musch you can do! (did I mention, if a guard sees blood on the floor he tries to find and kill you, but you can clear up the blood with a water arrow?)

Morrowmind sounds good if it's That realistic. happy hunting!

The stealth specialization gameplay was apparently modelled after Thief's so I'm sure you will find some stuff you like.

Here's a good read on it:
http://elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_emil.htm

Lutraphobiac
11-02-2005, 06:35 PM
I know way to much about this game. Not bragging. In fact kind of ashamed about it.

I've heard that arrows, ... they stick. .... I hope my AMD 1800 512 MB RAm can handle it.
Arrows actually stuck in Morrowind, but I guess this time they have their own weight to go along with the physics engine.

Upgrade your RAM man even if you aren't going to get this game. 512 MBS goes for about $50 or less...

The AI system is looking to be pretty good. It is called Radiant AI. Every NPC has their own 24 hour schedule. It is alot like The sims though in that each character will have needs and have a variety of options to fulfill those needs. If it is hungry it can go buy food, steal it, hunt etc. The option they choose of course would be base somewhat on their personality..

There is alot more to this game but I cannot begin to start listing all of the elements.

Starkist
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Click here (http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm) to see the six part E3 demo video. It is absolutely incredible what they have done in this game. I started playing Morrowind when my cousin picked it up at Goodwill, and was enthralled. Some of the things in this demo are things I never imagined a video game being capable of. I showed it to my girlfriend, who isn't much of a gamer beyond the Sims and occasionally Prince of Persia, and she was amazed as well.

It is a rare treat for a game creator to take a great game and improve so much. Yet that is what Oblivion seems to be.

Cloral
11-02-2005, 07:34 PM
I went ahead and pre-ordered this a couple weeks ago. Should be a great game.

Vivionsho
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Heh...yeah the arrows are suppose to stick to the walls and such but idk about the grabbing onto them and climbing them, im interrested in the AI system, on morrowind if i stole a fork i would get gaurds all over me and then get attacked by a all powerful mage.

DarkDragoonX
11-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Oblivion will be amazing. The only question at this point is HOW amazing.

I just hope the faces you can choose from aren't all as lame looking as the ones in Morrowind.

Starkist
11-03-2005, 10:56 PM
You don't so much choose from a gallery of faces as you tweak your own face. You can adjust eyes, ears, nose, eyebrows, forheads, etc. all to your liking.

Vivionsho
11-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, that would be a nice improvement for the game, I heard that they got rid of the thing that you would have to travel half way across the island to get to your next piont,...I hope so, ticked me off so bad when you didnt have any idea where to go

MacWeirdo42
11-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Oh man, this game looks sweet. I mean, I've played Morrowind occasionally, but I could never really get into it. It was the details, really. Like swinging your sword, clearly passing through the enemy, and yet missing. Also, there's no way around it, the graphics, especially the characters, looked like ass.

Now that they've fixed that stuff, I'm really interested. Always have been, in a way. Love the game, just hate the quirks. Oh, and the physics rock. I know some people see physics as a gimmick, but it really does add a level of realism to the gameplay, in my opinion. And wow, those forests... Just everything... So beautiful...

Think I'm gonna have to upgrade my system, though, if I am to have any hope of being able to play it. Either that, or get an X-Box 360. Eww. Well, I need a new system anyway... It's starting to buckle under the weight of new games. Now I just need some freakin' money.

Lutraphobiac
11-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Wow, that would be a nice improvement for the game, I heard that they got rid of the thing that you would have to travel half way across the island to get to your next piont,...I hope so, ticked me off so bad when you didnt have any idea where to go

I really liked traveling in Morrowind actually.. Anyways, yes you can instantly travel to cities and dungeons.

Don't know why you think the Morrowind graphics looked bad mac. The graphics were way above par for the time of realise though I have to agree on character appearance.

MacWeirdo42
11-05-2005, 03:04 AM
Alright, yeah, it was mainly just the characters that I couldn't stand. For some reason, that one aspect of the game really made an impression on me. Well, that and the whole combat system thing. So frustrating... Aside from that, though, really freakin' awesome game, and provided I have a system to handle it, I'm definitely getting Oblivion.

Vivionsho
11-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah i thought the graphics were nice, they say it's going to be freaking 9 discs long! It's going to be huge when it comes out, heh and the physics are awesome on Morrowind my freind found this guy that jumped off of a cliff and kileld himself, then he picked up his belongings, in them were two scrolls, both making jump really high! But my freind didnt want to use them afraid he would die a horrible death :laughing:

Starkist
11-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, that guy in Morrowind is one of the first things any character will find, right outside of Seyda Neen. You can't really use the jumping spells right off, unless you get some other spells to prevent you from dying when you hit the ground.

Rainman
11-05-2005, 04:13 PM
You can't really use the jumping spells right off, unless you get some other spells to prevent you from dying when you hit the ground.

I used them right off. The problem is your in the air too long, but if you use a scroll again before you hit you can survive. It's kind of hard to use the third one though.

Vivionsho
11-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know when it is suppose to be released?

DarkDragoonX
11-05-2005, 05:30 PM
If I recall correctly, Oblivion has been pushed back to sometime in the second quarter of 2006.

Vivionsho
11-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Jeez thats not great news :laughing: oh well...it's worth the wait ubt now the only problem is the compatability issue, most people are going to have to upgrade their computers to play oblivion or they will have to buy XBOX 360, wish i could just upgrade my computer and get all the mods and stuff like that.

*sigh*

Cloral
11-05-2005, 11:54 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/663/663056p1.html

Yeah, it's been delayed... damnit, now I have to find another game to preorder for the 360...
Any suggestions?

Vivionsho
11-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Get "Nintey-Nine Nights" I think thats what it is called, i will have to look it up but anyway, it is like a war game with a ALOT of knights, dont much on the back ground story but thought i would suggest it :)