PDA

View Full Version : Question about passwording quests

DemonSailormoon
11-02-2005, 02:24 AM
Why do people really try to protect their quests? I mean if someone downloads another person's quest and modifies it, they are only modifying it for their own use. I don't see how it will affect the creater of the quest if someone downloads and modifies it like adding their own cheat codes to it for their own use.

erm2003
11-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I don't think anyone who has put a lot of time and energy into making their quests would want to leave a password off the quest. Unfortunately, there are some people out there who would download it, make those small changes, and then resubmit it as their own. I spent a long time making and testing my quest and I know I would be really mad if that ever happened to me. Besides, not every quest maker wants cheat codes to be available for their quests. I had mine activated for beta testing, but I disabled them for the final release. There is no challenge with the codes and if they were used then people who played my quest wouldn't really appreciate all the work I had put into it and the challenge I tried to create. I am sure most of the quest developers on here will agree with that.

rocksfan13
11-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Absolutely!

It would really steam me to see someone changing my quest and then re-submitting it as their own.

I also do the same thing with cheat codes. I use them only to test and then remove them upon final release. To me, they take the fun out of playing the quest.

Aegix Drakan
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
I second the motion (well actually, I third it).

I would be really ticked of if someone modified my quest, and released it under their name.

Plus, I don't want the player to hae access to the cheats untill they have earned the right to refill their hearts. (basically, you have to go through a tought challenge, and you get the refill cheat)

My quest is locked up tight.

Freedom
11-02-2005, 12:51 PM
There was a fella here a few weeks back that took someones quest that was unpassworded and released it as a tileset.
He didn't ask permission or even bother to remove the quest makers maps.

Aegix Drakan
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
That's exaclty the reason password were added. because people don't like having teir stuff plagurized (I know I spelled that wrong). you'l just have to live with that fact!

rocksfan13
11-02-2005, 01:59 PM
It just goes to show that some people just don't care or are just too busy complaining about how bad a persons quest was.

The nerve.