PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur III...

DarkDragoonX
10-28-2005, 03:47 AM
...kicks ass. Go play it now. The single player modes are pretty neat, the Create-A-Soul function is fun to play with, and the gameplay has been tweaked to address many of the problems in SC2. Also, Siegfried, the best fighting game character ever, makes a triumphant return.

Lilith
10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Is there a giant owl?

Fortis Nova
10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Where can one find information on this game?

Beldaran
10-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Where can one find information on this game?

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND (http://soulcalibur3.namco.com/)

Darth Marsden
10-28-2005, 02:34 PM
It's not on Gamecube. Therefore it doesn't have Link in it and so it sucks. ;)

Seriously, I'd have bought it if it were on Gamecube, but for some reason it's not. I can't remember the exact figures, but the GC version sold the most units (The Link effect, methinks) so I honestly can't see why it's not been ported over. Stupid Playstation only games...

Samson007
10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
My friend rented it the other night and we were going to play it last night, but we got too drunk to go back to his house and get it.

I heard it was awsome though, looking forward to playing it.

Beldaran
10-28-2005, 06:20 PM
It's not on Gamecube. Therefore it doesn't have Link in it and so it sucks. ;)

Seriously, I'd have bought it if it were on Gamecube, but for some reason it's not. I can't remember the exact figures, but the GC version sold the most units (The Link effect, methinks) so I honestly can't see why it's not been ported over. Stupid Playstation only games...

Nothing against nintendo, but Spawn could have Link for breakfast and then shit him out in a little ball. (ie SPAWN (http://www.shrum.net/wallpapers/repository/comics/covers/spawn/spawn_comic_cover_100_cl%5B1%5D.jpg), the bonus character in the xbox version)

Warlock
10-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Spawn sucks

Beldaran
10-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Gee, I can't decide who's more awesome.

http://static.flickr.com/4/8483817_9704490870.jpg

OR

http://www.therpsicore.com/Console/GBA/Zelda_LinkToThePast/pp/link_trsp.gif

Comparing Link to Spawn is like comparing a plastic spoon to a chainsaw.

KJAZZ
10-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Pffft. Link was and is a better character and you know it.

Anyway, I intend on buying this game fairly soon, and I'm sure my friends will have gotten it already.. so we'll probably play it this coming Saturday.

Rainman
10-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Pffft. Link was and is a better character and you know it.
Um, Link has virtually no character at all.

Orion
10-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Spawn sucks

Any particular reason you are layin the hate on my Spawn?

I swear it seems like some people are like "omfg!!!1 soul Caliber sux monkey ballz cuz its not on teh GAMECUBE!!!!!" It won't kill you to like a game that's for another platform. Really.

Daarkseid
10-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Todd MacFarlane is a giant douche(not an informed opinion).

Darth Marsden
10-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I swear it seems like some people are like "omfg!!!1 soul Caliber sux monkey ballz cuz its not on teh GAMECUBE!!!!!" It won't kill you to like a game that's for another platform. Really.I'm currently enjoying (if constantly retrying missions until the game stops cheating and decides to let me live for once is considered enjoyment) the Jak series on PS2, so I do play games on other systems. I was just wondering why they haven't released it on GC. I probably won't pick it up unless they do 'cause I don't like having to switch systems with sequels, if that makes sense. I'm sure it's a good game, and I may well rent it at some point, but a purchase isn't in the picture unless it's ported over.

I totally respect games on other platforms if they're good games. The GC has yet to produce a really good wrestling game, but the PS2 has had a bunch, and I'll pick them up dead cheap 'cause they're a couple of years old now (Amazon, pre-owned, bargain!), and I'm also gonna get a bunch of RPGs, Platformers and Light Gun games.

I appreciate that Halo kicked ass. I know that Liberty City Stories is one hell of a game (that needs to be ported over to the PC NOW because I'm so not getting a PSP for one game). Hell, even the N-Gage had some good stuff. I respect good games, period.

Dude, that was deeper then I thought it would be. Let me make it up with this pretty picture:
http://img41.exs.cx/img41/2397/sophitazelda3.jpg
Gee, I wonder why that dress is familiar? :D

Daarkseid
10-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I was just wondering why they haven't released it on GC. I probably won't pick it up unless they do 'cause I don't like having to switch systems with sequels, if that makes sense. I'm sure it's a good game, and I may well rent it at some point, but a purchase isn't in the picture unless it's ported over.

I read in an older issue of EGM that licensing fees actually go up as a game is released on multiple consoles. So actually making a game exclusive to one console provides more financial incentives beyond simply the costs saved in only developing for one system.

In the case of Soul Caliber II, its possible the extra sales from XBox and GC units failed to ultimately justify the ramped up licensing fees. While it seems likely that Microsoft and Nintendo, in order to remain competitive, require lower fees, its not hard to imagine that SONY, with it's massive market share, can charge hefty fees, especially to developers attracted to the superior specs of the GC or Xbox.

This is pure speculation of course, spawned from what I had read in that issue of EGM.

DarkDragoonX
10-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Lilith: Yes, there is a big humaoid owl dude (Olcadan).

Daarkseid: Yes, Todd McFarlane sucks more than an intern at a president convention.

As for the best bonus character: They all sucked. They were a blight on Soul Calibur and must never rear their ugly heads again.

Also... Siegfried is back. And as we all know, Siegfried rules over all.

Warlock
10-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Gee, I can't decide who's more awesome.

- insert bunch of crap here -

Comparing Link to Spawn is like comparing a plastic spoon to a chainsaw.

First off, lovely there how you compare Spawn to Young Link instead of Adult Link who is the one that's playable. Second, what does Spawn have to do with Xbox? Nothing. Third, does he even fit into Soul Calibur? Hell no. He's a comic book character. They might as well have stuck Spiderman or Venom in there. It would have been equally as stupid. At least Link is a *fantasy* character so he sort of fits in with the setting of the game. And at least that guy from Tekken is a fighter which fit in with the genre of the game. Spawn doesn't fit in at all. (though I agree they all sucked in general and I'm not a huge fan of sticking bonus characters in that don't fit the setting - i.e. Mario in the new SSX game)

And finally, Spawn does suck. It's a stupid comic book that gets attention because it's dark and bloody and scary which is different from most other comic books. Todd MacFarlane reminds me too much of American McGee who just takes everyday things (i.e. Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz) and makes them gross/scary. That's just stupid in my opinion. Spawn was an original character, but I've seen other stuff like "Todd MacFarlane's Dragons" which is that same crap I said with American McGee. But yeah, I just don't care for Spawn at all.

Beldaran
10-29-2005, 08:45 PM
First off,

bla bla bla bla

But yeah, I just don't care for Spawn at all.

Well that's nice. None of that changes the fact that Spawn has taken shits more dangerous than Link.

Warlock
10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Well that's nice. None of that changes the fact that Spawn has taken shits more dangerous than Link.

And none of it changes the other reasons I listed that Spawn doesn't fit in the game (that you glossed over)

Cloral
10-30-2005, 03:27 AM
I read in an older issue of EGM that licensing fees actually go up as a game is released on multiple consoles. So actually making a game exclusive to one console provides more financial incentives beyond simply the costs saved in only developing for one system.
Production costs go up on a multi-platform release because there are more ways a piece of code can go wrong. Although the PS2 tends to be the biggest source of these problems, as it has the least resources, poor debugger, and all in all is a crappy system to develop for.
All I know for sure about licensing fees is that there is a fee per unit sold for the console - last I heard, it tended to be aroud $7. Though I would guess that the certification process also costs money, since the console maker has to spend a good number of man-hours testing the game to make sure it adheres to their standards. So having to go through certification 3 times instead of once would result in additional costs.

My best guess as to why SC3 is an exclusive to the PS2 is that Sony probably gave Namco a financial incentive not to release on the other platforms. I don't know how this is legal, but I know it has happened before.

Lilith
11-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Hahaha guys this is not a penis contest.

Ok I got this game but I don't know which character stage to play through to unlock the giant owl. Anyone wanna help?

Also, Zasalamel is awesome, but no one cares enough about his reincarnation shit to have to fight him 35690385 times and have him always be the boss for every character. Ok? Ok.

DarkDragoonX
11-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Hahaha guys this is not a penis contest.

Ok I got this game but I don't know which character stage to play through to unlock the giant owl. Anyone wanna help?

Also, Zasalamel is awesome, but no one cares enough about his reincarnation shit to have to fight him 35690385 times and have him always be the boss for every character. Ok? Ok.

For men, the entire internet is a penis competition.

Anyway, to unlock Olcadan, you have to fight and defeat him in Tale of Souls mode. Each character has his/her own path to reach him, but all I know right now is Siegfried's:

**NOTE: You CANNOT lose ANY fights EXCEPT the "Bonus Battle" against Shadow Master after you fight Kilik. If you lose any fight but that one, you WILL NOT be able to fight Olcadan**

Seek power to destroy the sword
Avoid chasing the man
Seek knowledge of the cursed sword
Give it a try
(while in the dungeon, you'll have a couple more options, to leave, or keep going. Always keep going.)
Fight Olcadan (defeat him, and you will unlock him)

Now, you will ifght Nightmare. If you can beat him and keep your victory streak alive, you will fight the game's hidden final boss, Night Terror. Good luck.

Oh, and about Zasalamel... frankly, I don't know how he has the time to do anything, what with spending his life throwing giant cogs at people.

Carcer
11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
:surprise:
Soul Calibur III is out? My my, I need to actually keep up with the gaming world. My gamecube lies in a pile of dust somewhere in my house... probably a sign that I don't do gaming anymore. But there's always those games that make me play it again.
Hang on, is it even out for the GC?

vegeta1215
11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Hang on, is it even out for the GC?

No. Soul Calibur III is a PS2 exclusive.

I was thinking about trying out Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube since it got rave reviews, but then I remembered I hate 3D fighters. vive Marvel vs Capcom 2!

Carcer
11-03-2005, 01:58 PM
No. Soul Calibur III is a PS2 exclusive.

I was thinking about trying out Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube since it got rave reviews, but then I remembered I hate 3D fighters. vive Marvel vs Capcom 2!

I had a look at the site for it. Shame really, but I don't think it will be too much fo a loss now that I have seen some clips. It all looks a bit samey.

Lilith
11-04-2005, 09:05 AM
I got Olcadan totally by accident without doing any of that stuff o-O

DarkDragoonX
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
How many battles have you fought? Characters can also be unlocked just by fighting a lot. It takes longer that way, although it does get you there in the end.

Vivionsho
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Wow, this all sounds cool, does anyone know how many characters are on it?

MottZilla
11-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Olcadan - Defeat him in Tales of Souls or play 575 battles.

About the PS2 only, keep in mind Soul Calibur II was developed for the Namco System 2XX (something like 256) which basically a very similar system to the PS2 minus things like memory cards and an optical drive. And like Cloral said, the PS2 really needs alot of care in programming to get the best results possible. Thus by developing only for ps2 at the moment atleast, they were able to be certain it was what they wanted it to be, or atleast something they were satisfied with. I imagine having 3 different platforms of greatly varying abilities is a pain in the ass. PS2 is underpowered, GC lacks sufficant disc space, xbox uh, well I guess it really doesn't matter as it's currently at the top in many points.

Anyways, get over it and buy a PS2 if you wanna play it.