PDA

View Full Version : Any MAC OS X platforms?

Otto Halmen
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Are you going to make a MAC OS X version of Zelda Classic? I (and dad) hope for using Zelda Classic and zquest on the Mac (which is mine) instead of the PC (which dad has only borrowed from is job).

jessethe2nd
10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Use a dos simulator with the dos port of zc. Never had need for one so I have trouble thinking of one. May or may not work but that would be the best course of action.

koopa
10-25-2005, 08:31 AM
dosbox from sourceforge (runs under pc, mac and linux) or a full emulator like bochs with freedos as OS.

ZeldaLord
10-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah, that's the best you can do at the moment. I think the next version's gonna support Mac, though, so you don't have too long to wait. :)

aramis
10-31-2005, 12:26 AM
2.10 DOS does not run under DOSBox's mac version:
"Load error: no DPMI - get csdpmi*b.zip"

And yes, I did get the armageddon games file... ;)

SnakeEyes
10-31-2005, 08:23 AM
You have to actually run the config exe and then the exe after that first. However when ZC tries to launch it just crashes DOSBox. I think about the only solution is VPC.

Wish it would come out soon, even at least a beta to tide us over.

Dark Nation
11-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, for those who *really* want to see the Mac version, here's an old one (1.93 Beta 4) since the current one won't even run until I do some bug fixes on it:

Open this in your browser:
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/OldMacBeta/

Open each disk image and copy the files inside to a new folder (for instance, Zelda Classic). Open the files in this order: zc193a4m.dmg, zc193a4m-b.dmg, zc193a4s.dmg. The zc193a4m-b.dmg is a corrected version of the game engine, I believe, which is why it should be opened after the first disk image. If I recall, the first file has a bug in the engine which causes enemies to not appear sometimes and to other times appear in the top left corner of the screen.

Please let me know if you download this. I'm curious as to how many people actually use it.

ShadowTiger
11-01-2005, 11:20 AM
From #PureZC on initialized.org:

[10:18] <Iori> BH4, just say something like "Darklink813 wants to say that he downloaded it and that he will use it but his account has problems and can't post"
[10:18] <Iori> -_-
[10:18] <Iori> pwease
[10:19] <Iori> Oh and say that it would also be great if they could add the resource files into the application themselves.
[10:19] <Iori> and uh... that I REALLY REALLY WANT A MAC VERSION :D
[10:19] <Iori> and that Dark Nation is awesome.
[10:19] <Iori> :p

Darklink813 = Iori, obviously.

SnakeEyes
11-02-2005, 03:06 AM
One issue, I can't seem to load the Zelda Classic 3rd Quest file. It's not automatically in the game list and ZC tells me it is not a custom quest when i try to add it.

SnakeEyes
11-02-2005, 04:06 AM
BTW.. so far so good. Just got home from vacation and have played with it a bit. Other than no full screen option, a couple of my favorite quests being for newer versions only (CastleHauntII and Link to Tortuga), and Link's Birthday DX not being playable despite being for an earlier version (192) everything is cool. I still can play Origins2, CastleHaunt1 and Hidden Duality: Director's Cut.

SnakeEyes
11-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Should this version be able to retain game info after quitting?

Dark Nation
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
It should, yes. Remember, this was a beta that was only given out to the testers at the time. Many of the bugs you might see should already be fixed in the current code. As for the third quest, start a new game with the name "ALPHA", and it should start you in the third quest.

SnakeEyes
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Understood.

SnakeEyes
11-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your work. Here's to hoping a Mac version is released in the near future. I wanna play CastleHauntII. :)

sand
11-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I know you are extremely busy. I used to be on here constantly a few years back and then I got a Mac. I was a tester for the Mac OSXbeta. I got a new Mac and lost all of the files I needed for the testing back to the beginning, the very beginning.
I need the files that I need to download to get back to the old beta in order. I know this is asking way too much of you. I know the files are on here somewhere because I downloaded them. Could you either do the above or direct me to where I can download them and what I need to do to get the Quoted downloads to work. I downloaded them and nothing happens which leads me to believe that I have forgotten something from the past and my old brain just can't recall it.
I loved playing Zelda so much since I am disabled and can do little more than play on my laptop. I have a 1GHz PowerPC G4, 1 MB L3 cache, 512 B SDRAM, Version 10.4.3, if that matters. If you can help me I would appreciate it and if not, well, I guess I understand that you just don't have time for me and I just won't play Zelda again.
I sure miss being on here and playing all the quests. I used to beta test a lot of the new quests that people were making. Those were the days. LOL
Thanks,
sand

[email protected] would be great if you could send it email.

Well, for those who *really* want to see the Mac version, here's an old one (1.93 Beta 4) since the current one won't even run until I do some bug fixes on it:

Open this in your browser:
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/OldMacBeta/

Open each disk image and copy the files inside to a new folder (for instance, Zelda Classic). Open the files in this order: zc193a4m.dmg, zc193a4m-b.dmg, zc193a4s.dmg. The zc193a4m-b.dmg is a corrected version of the game engine, I believe, which is why it should be opened after the first disk image. If I recall, the first file has a bug in the engine which causes enemies to not appear sometimes and to other times appear in the top left corner of the screen.

Please let me know if you download this. I'm curious as to how many people actually use it.

zfreak2004
12-08-2005, 10:13 AM
I downloaded it and am using it. Works great. I've been using it to play some quests that I remember before getting a mac. Thanks DN.