PDA

View Full Version : Zelda1 imitate The Tower of Druaga and Hydlide.

Nameless
10-24-2005, 02:16 AM
I can say Miyamoto developed Zelda,but I can't say he created it.

No few Japanese say Zelda imitate The Tower of Druaga and Hydlide,Miyamoto only improved them. Also,I sure he couldn't develop Zelda especially without The Tower of Druaga.

ctrl-alt-delete
10-24-2005, 02:20 AM
*Sigh*

A. You are wrong. Miyamoto created Zelda.

B. Hydlide sucked ass. If you could survive for five minutes in that game, you were Jesus.

C. This thread sucks.

Nameless
10-24-2005, 02:39 AM
And they say Mario imitate Pack Land, Zelda2 imitate Dragon Baster. I said Zelda2 don't imitate everyone,when they laughed about it...

ZeldaLord
10-24-2005, 05:53 AM
Would you mind posting your sources if you're so sure about this? :eyebrow:

Nameless
10-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Would you mind posting your sources if you're so sure about this? :eyebrow:
ttp://cheese.2ch.net/ghard/kako/990/990452203.html
ttp://cheese.2ch.net/ghard/kako/991/991538304.html
ttp://game.2ch.net/ghard/kako/996/996130502.html
ttp://game2.2ch.net/ghard/kako/1020/10206/1020695518.html

I knew them recently ,but I don't sure before playing The Tower of Druaga.
Playing The Tower of Druaga, it is much better than them.

And Zelda1's enemies look like Druaga's enemies.
ttp://www.host.or.jp/user/ytikaoka/gilgamesh%20home%20page/druchara.htm#gilgameshdruaga

vegeta1215
10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Here are some better links (in case you didn't know, few people at AGN can read japanese)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Druaga
http://www.flyingomelette.com/reviews/nes/hydlide.html

Both of these are fantasy adventure games, but they are very different from Zelda. The first one is more like a maze game, and the second resembles Dragon Warrior more than Zelda.

ZeldaLord
10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm afraid neither of these games seem to have anything to do with Zelda, apart from recurring concepts like treasures and keys, which had been around in RPGs long before any of these games were released.

Solaris_Omega
10-24-2005, 12:39 PM
I can say Miyamoto developed Zelda,but I can't say he created it.

No few Japanese say Zelda imitate The Tower of Druaga and Hydlide,Miyamoto only improved them. Also,I sure he couldn't develop Zelda especially without The Tower of Druaga.Saying that these things are true is crazy. Its like saying that Dungeons & Dragons ripped all its ideas from Tolkien, and that Tolkien stole his mythology from Norse myths. Things like this have always been around, and people just find ways to make them good. RPG's have commonly contained elements like swords, keys, dungeons, etc.. for years and years. Even back in the days of dice & paper it was like that. Hydlide came out after the original Zelda anyhow.

Zelda 1 = 1987
Hydlide = 1989

Daarkseid
10-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Zelda 1 = 1987
Hydlide = 1989

The copyright info on Hydlide's intro screen shows the year 1986. It's probably true that '89 was its release date in the US, however 86 was probably when it was released in Japan. The original Zelda had the same release date in Japan as well. Also released in Japan in '86: Dragon Warrior.

Solaris_Omega
10-24-2005, 01:03 PM
The copyright info on Hydlide's intro screen shows the year 1986. It's probably true that '89 was its release date in the US, however 86 was probably when it was released in Japan. The original Zelda had the same release date in Japan as well. Also released in Japan in '86: Dragon Warrior.Ahh, your right. I didn't think about the US release dates compared to Japans. Sorry 'bout that

Warlock
10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
The copyright info on Hydlide's intro screen shows the year 1986. It's probably true that '89 was its release date in the US, however 86 was probably when it was released in Japan. The original Zelda had the same release date in Japan as well. Also released in Japan in '86: Dragon Warrior.

Either way, there is no way for Miyamoto to be influenced by a product under development simultaneously (unless he is in command of a super secret squad of ninja spies that steal video game information from other companies).

DarkDragoonX
10-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Hydlide sucked ass. If you could survive for five minutes in that game, you were Jesus.

Bah, Hydlide was a great game... and if you can't survive, it's because you don't know how to play.

Warlock: Of COURSE Miyamoto has a squad of ninja spies! They were used with great success until 1998, when Miamoto gave them an assignment to prevent the release of Hideo Kijoima's newest game. They were later found hidden in corners with their necks broken.

Starkist
10-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Its like saying that Dungeons & Dragons ripped all its ideas from Tolkien, and that Tolkien stole his mythology from Norse myths.

Both statements are quite true, actually. :)

Nameless
10-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Warlock: Of COURSE Miyamoto has a squad of ninja spies! They were used with great success until 1998, when Miamoto gave them an assignment to prevent the release of Hideo Kijoima's newest game. They were later found hidden in corners with their necks broken.
Is this truth? I don't know this...

Zelda's items imitated ToD's. Whitesword,candle,bible,blue ring,red ring. Some Zelda's enemmie's moving pattern imitated... Enemmie's moving pattern is most important element to action game.

Saffith
10-25-2005, 05:20 PM
This isn't entirely off-base, really. It is true that some of ToD's enemies move and/or look a lot like some of Zelda's. Slimes move a tile at a time, pausing in between, and jiggling as they move. Knights walk around looking for you (not randomly; they mostly follow the walls), and walk straight at you when they find you. Magicians appear, fire a shot of magic, and disappear (though they don't aim like Wizzrobes). Will-o-Wisps are fairly reminiscent of Bubbles (though they, too, follow the walls, and touching them is fatal).
But then, considering how these things work, there's really only so much they can do, movement-wise. Most enemies have to move from one tile to another, avoiding walls and other solid objects, and there are only so many ways they can do that.

As for the items... Well, yes, some of them have the same names. But that's about it, really. They have fairly different effects, aside from the White Sword being a stronger sword.

(in case you didn't know, few people at AGN can read japanese)I can help out here, at least to some extent. The first three of those sites are a series of BBS posts titled, roughly, "the truth about the vicious rip-off company, Nintendo." The first of these, in its entirety:

Super Mario is a rip-off of Pac-Land
The Legend of Zelda is a rip-off of Hydlide
The Adventure of Link is a rip-off of Dragon Buster
Famicom Wars is a rip-off of Daisenryaku
Alleyway is a rip-off of Arkanoid
Solar Striker is a rip-off of Star Force
Pokémon is a rip-off of Megami Tensei
Card Hero is a rip-off of Magic: The Gathering
Luigi's Mansion is a rip-off of Ghostbusters... Yeah. The other two are just more of the same.
The responses are about what you'd expect. Mostly uninteresting. Many people give more examples. I can't always tell when they're serious (Ocarina of Time is a rip-off of Tomb Raider?). Some of them are pretty funny either way, though. Instant rice is a rip-off of cup ramen, they say. Nintendo itself is a rip-off of Honda. And Honda (http://saffith.homestead.com/files/honda.gif) is a rip-off of Kita (http://saffith.homestead.com/files/kita.gif)!

In any case, they're not really making many real arguments that I can see. It's pretty much just Nintendo-bashing.

Is this truth? I don't know this...No, no, he's just joking.

Warlock
10-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I would hope Alleyway is a ripoff of Arkanoid considering it's the same damn game. How many versions of Breakout are there? I mean, that's like saying Ms. Pacman is a ripoff of Pacman. Or Gameboy Tetris is a ripoff of NES Tetris. Breakout is an ooooold game. There are probably millions of clones out there.

ZeldaLord
10-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Some Zelda's enemmie's moving pattern imitated... Enemmie's moving pattern is most important element to action game.

You're ignoring the fact that there were only so many movement patterns you could make in the NES days, so some were bound to be the same. You could say the same about Mario, copying enemy movement from almost any other platform game. :shrug:

VT_Hokie_Fan
10-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Did Megami Tensei have anything in it remotely like Pokemon? Also, didn't Pokemon come out before it?

Sir_Johnamus
10-25-2005, 06:40 PM
I HATE Pokemon, so I don't know. at a 16X11 screen size average, movement patterns were limited to the point where you ad a 1 in 45 chance of making a pattern that resembled another without knowing it. I just played Hydilde for 20 minutes without dieing and got bored, so now I am bored.

Nameless
10-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Are Miyomoto's spy teams joke? Oh,it's a great joke...And Japanese game players may nervous.