PDA

View Full Version : 2.11 Beta 6 Progress

Dark Nation
10-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Here's what's changed so far:

Fixed and expanded the tile copy/move code. The following changes have been made:

You can even make ZQuest copy from the end of a striped selection instead of from the beginning by holding the alt key while pasting. So, instead of copying tiles 50 through 73 and pasting them starting at tile 91 (so that tile 50 is copied to tile 91, 51 is copied to 92, etc.), you can paste so that tile 73 goes to tile 91, 72 goes to tile 90, and so on.
You can make ZQuest copy from the right side of a rectangular selection instead of from the left side by using the alt key. Copying from the bottom of the selection instead of the top is done with the shift key. You can even use both keys to copy from the bottom right corner instead of from the top left.
You can limit how many tiles to paste by making a selection before hitting the V key. Only the number of tiles that will fit in the selection will be copied. This works for striped and rectangular selections and also with the alt and shift directional keys.
Holding the control key while doing a paste (or move, though there's not much point) will keep the source selection in memory (like the current past bug does). Without holding the control key, the source selection is cancelled, causing the V key to switch to vertical flip mode.
ZQuest will warn you if you try to paste into tiles referenced by something else. The code detects and warns about the following objects:

combos
sprites

items
weapons
misc sprites
Link sprites
enemy sprites

game icons
map style blocks

frame
heart container piece
triforce fragment
triforce frame
overworld map
dungeon map

dmap maps

If possible, ZQuest will move tile references when tiles are moved
If the above is not possible, ZQuest will warn you if a tile move will cause blank tiles to appear in a tile reference (such as moving some, but not all, of the tiles referenced by a combo).
When possible, ZQuest will show descriptive names for the objects that will be adversely affected by a copy or move. If there is no descriptive name (such as with combos), then a simple number is used:
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b6/copy_move_1.gif
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b6/copy_move_2.gif

The selection tool (hookshot) in the tile editor is partially functional. Currently, you can "select" and "unselect" individual pixels (ZQuest basically puts a marching ants border around all adjacent selected pixels):
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b6/marching_ants.gif
ZQuest starts up faster when loading a quest on startup as it no longer loads the default quest first.
Experimental new icons for ZC and ZQuest:
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b6/zc_icon.jpg
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b6/zq_icon.jpg

Thoughts?

Sephiroth
10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Nice... Very nice.. Would make editing tiles much easier. :D

ShadowTiger
10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
1) I Wubu DN. :D So very, very helpful. ^_^

2) Those are some truly jawesome icons. Congratulations on their creation. :)

3) In terms of the selection tool in the pixel drawing screen, perhaps a "Ctrl+Click" with the selected tool to select and deselect individual pixels? Perhaps holding in another key (Alt, perhaps? :shrug: ) would allow for a rectangular "grid" of selection which you can draw across pixels. And can't forget that undo feature. ^_^ Everybody uses it quite much. Particularly the artists.

4) The error feature is going to be particularly useful. However, how much slower will ZQuest be on the older PC's with this feature? I've noticed that since the addition of the Alt+Slide feature, moving the tile selection highlighter with the arrow keys has become much slower. Like, "One-Second-Before-You-Notice-It-Start-To-Move" slower. The ZC palette transitions has been made faster though, oddly enough. o.O Quite grateful for that. ... Yes, my PC is a PII 300 MHZ 256 MB Ram machine, if that helps any.

---
5) Okay, here's something I think would be -very- helpful for these new "Ctrl+" and "Alt+" etc combos. You know how in the new Preview Mode, you can press pageup and pagedown for a mini help guide along the bottom of the screen? I think we should do something similar for all these hotkeys. It would be really nice to have a full list of hotkeys on every single screen. I really do.

Nick
10-20-2005, 10:02 AM
I really like how the icons are looking. :)

I'm a bit iffy about how ZQuest is represented, though. I think that the triforce with the blue has become the symbol to represent ZQuest, so straying from it so drastically as to use red and a sword might confuse people who only glance at the icons to tell what program to open.

Besides... I think it'd look cooler with a glowing triforce inside a blue orb. :tongue:

The pasting overwrite notice will be fairly useful, as I tend to find myself accidentally overwriting tiles during pastes a lot that I find out later were referencing something. :shrug:

jman2050
10-20-2005, 10:25 AM
ICONS LIKE

Dart Zaidyer
10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I do a lot of tile overwriting, because I like to safely edit my tiles by copying them to a blank spot and pasting the final result back where it goes. Can the overwrite warning be turned off?

Dark Nation
10-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I guess I could make it a ZQuest option.

Freedom
10-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I do the same thing, copy several tiles to a blank page, edit them and move the finished product back over top of the originals.

BH4's idea of a hotkeys list gets a thumbs up with me, I tend not to "experiment" with hotkeys for fear of crashing and losing the work I've done.

ShadowTiger
10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
BH4's idea of a hotkeys list gets a thumbs up with me, I tend not to "experiment" with hotkeys for fear of crashing and losing the work I've done.Windows 182 - Press "D" ... ;) ...[/On-Topic-Example-Of-Necessary-Caution]

Freedom
10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Just a side note

I do the same thing, copy several tiles to a blank page, edit them and move the finished product back over top of the originals.

This seems to be what causes random "ghost" combos to be added to the combo pages.

Dark Nation
10-20-2005, 03:12 PM
How about this for the ZQuest icon?
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b6/zq_icon2.jpg

Dart Zaidyer
10-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Much better, though in my opinion the Triforce can stand to be a little golder. Right now it looks sort of green.

Praethus
10-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Those icons are Mm Mmm good. Perhaps the red icon with the sword could be saved in case of future programs. Or perhaps, FCF can take the red sphere, put a map on it, and use it for the MapMaker icon.

ShadowTiger
10-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Holy Crap. How are you creating these, DN? o.O They're spectacular. O_O

This seems to be what causes random "ghost" combos to be added to the combo pages.Yeah, I've noticed this all the time lately. I think it's still in 2.11. I notice it particularly when loading between quests with combo pages of varying sizes. (I.e. if you load the Classic Tileset's miniscule tileset from, say, ... the Pure Tileset's, you'll see quite a few ghost combos randomly scattered in the same locations as they were in the PT's, with nearly the same tile references for those ghost combos.

bigjoe
10-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Use all three icons! If there is going to be like an agsetup program, the sword could go there.