PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss help

Master Ghaleon
10-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Stats on me -
Height: 6 Foot 4 Inches
Weight: 300 Pounds
Foods I like - Just about everything, Fruits/Veggies, Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Ham etc

Foods I dont like - Majority of seafood, liver, pigs feet, Deer meat. That kind of crap

In the beginning of the summer I weighed in at 300 pounds and I told myself I needed to start losing some of that weight. I cut out all fast food joints like McDonalds and KFC, chips, majority of soda(had 1 with dinner), and sweets. I was active playing basketball and swimming during the summer and trimmed down to 280 within 9 weeks. I was pretty happy that I could lose that kind of weight like that but then I slid away and started to eat chips and once a week McDonalds. So I weigh myself a couple days ago and see that I now weight 298 pounds. I wanna drop down to 230 and then put more muscle on my body.

I would like for you to tell me what types of food should I stick to eating, I dont want you to tell me to go on a specific diet like the Atkins diet. Like tell me instead of eating white bread, eat wheat bread or instead of eating burgers eat chicken breasts, something like that.

I also figure that people will say to do more exercise but I will tell ya right now I do alot of that anyway, thats why I just need a list of foods that I can eat that would at least be good for me.

Example
Breakfast - Special K cereal
Lunch - Turkey sandwich with multi grain(wheat) bread
Dinner - Chicken Breast w/ Corn
Snack - Bannanas
Drinks - Water, OJ, Fruit Juice, 2% milk
other - Avoid BBQ for your Chicken Breast, Try to get "Multi grain" wheat instead of the regular wheat since its better for you.

If you could reply to me in that fashion that would be great.

Rafnul
10-16-2005, 03:04 AM
Not that I ever had problems with losing weight in the same sense that you might, the wrestling coach always said that the best and only way to really cut weight is to simply eat smaller portions. Don't eat less often, don't going on diets that will fuck up your system, just eat less every time you eat. To date, that's been the only really effective weight loss strategy I've seen.

Some Kinda Hate
10-16-2005, 03:15 AM
Not that I ever had problems with losing weight in the same sense that you might, the wrestling coach always said that the best and only way to really cut weight is to simply eat smaller portions. Don't eat less often, don't going on diets that will fuck up your system, just eat less every time you eat. To date, that's been the only really effective weight loss strategy I've seen.

This is true. Eating less will cause your stomach to shrink and therefore you will end up getting full faster.

mikeron
10-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Cut the juice, try to eat most of the day's carbs after lifting weights (weightlifting will increase your metabolism for up to 48 hours). Add fiber to your diet (cruciferous vegetables, quality oatmeal). Increase your water intake.

Gerudo
10-16-2005, 04:41 AM
I dropped 30 pounds over the summer by just walking close to 5 miles a day. You might try walking like a mile a day or something till you get your tolerance/endurace up. Doing small excercises will help as well. (like maybe 20 sit-ups, push-ups, and squat thrusts a day).

I dropped from 200 to 170-ish in like, two months (seriously!) without cutting any food whatsoever. I still pig out on junk food, eat McD's religiously, and what have you.

While what works for one, may not work for all, it's a good start, I think.

Good luck!

Archibaldo
10-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd say just cut down on the really greasy stuff. I recently switched to the salad bar at the school cafeteria and walking around ALOT during lunch hour. So far I've been losing a little bit of weight slowly.

It's weird, over the summer, I worked at a restaraunt and ate a shit load of greasy foods and still lost weight. And I have no idea how. Probably because I did alot of walking, putting glasses back at the bar, putting dishes back and getting the dirty dishes.

I guess the real solution is start moving around alot.

Dechipher
10-16-2005, 11:59 AM
....Drugs?

I think it depends on your metabolism. There are some people who can eat all the fucking time, whatever they want, and not gain anything, and then there's people who are extraordinarily active and whatnot, but can't seem to keep it off.

Not that it's hopeless. As a last resort, watch the Nutty Professor. He does all kindsa crap on that thing, as far as weightloss goes.

Darth Marsden
10-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I may get smacked for this, but get a PS2, a Dance mat and one or two of those Dance Dance games. Make sure no-one is watching and all your windows are closed and do about 30 - 60 minutes a day. Watch how the pounds (and sweat) just fall away!

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-16-2005, 01:35 PM
heh, ddr <3

Rainman
10-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I may get smacked for this, but get a PS2, a Dance mat and one or two of those Dance Dance games. Make sure no-one is watching and all your windows are closed and do about 30 - 60 minutes a day. Watch how the pounds (and sweat) just fall away!

He already said that he gets a lot of exercise. That's not the issue.

Rafnul pretty much got it right. You lose weight by burning more calories than you put in. Don't cut meals though. Try to eat 3 meals a day in smaller than usual portions. Water is important too as stated previously. It is used in pretty much all body process and getting enough will allow your body to run efficiently. You are big so I'd recommend 10 cups a day. Also replace any fluids lost in your exercise.

vegeta1215
10-16-2005, 07:31 PM
I have a fast metabolism, so I can eat a lot and not put on weight. I'm sure it won't last forever though, so I'm starting to develop better eating habits, like drinking more water, eating more fruits and vegetables, and drinking more juice etc.

I remember Raichu telling me he lost a good bit of weight just by eating smaller portions and counting calories. Maybe he can tell you a little bit more?

Ich
10-17-2005, 10:50 AM
If you drink beer regularly, consider Guinness. Quoth the Wikipedia:

Despite the "meal in a glass" reputation the beverage has among some non-Guinness drinkers, Guinness only contains 198 calories (838 kilojoules) per imperial pint (1460 kJ/l), less than an equal-sized serving of skimmed milk or orange juice.

Eat less, work out. Ride a bike to work if it's possible. Drink no soda.

Artificial sweeteners will tell your brain you're eating sugar, and it responds by producing insulin to metabolize the sugar. When no sugar is found, the insulin surplus will make you feel hungry.

Some Kinda Hate
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Drink no soda.

I lost about 15 pounds a while back from not drinking any soda.

Verman
10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Unless its going to be a life style just eat good... Like don't eat Mcdonalds or ice cream for example... Use common sense.

Then do a bunch of cardio, a half hour a day will shed the pounds. Now I don't mean just go for a walk, you need to sweat hard. So get on a treadmill or a Eliptical and keep your heart rate around 135... To much more and it isnt fat loss anymore. Anyhow keep this up and the weight will fall off.

For diet go buy a 10 pounder of protien and use it as a meal supplement so instead of going and eating a big mac and frys cause you have no time for lunch, make a shake...

it works wonders ;) Losing wieght is easy...its losing wieght and keeping muscle mass that gets hard but your not worried about that...

You are the same age as me and weigh almost the same so if you want i can tell you what i do for a work out and the like...if you liek your workout jsut add the cardio ;)

ONeilcool
10-17-2005, 09:12 PM
is it possible that your not fat and its all pure muscle? muscle weighs 3x more then fat so that could be ur problem, or that could be a good thing so you wont have to worry about losing weight

Machiavelli
10-17-2005, 09:19 PM
is it possible that your not fat and its all pure muscle? muscle weighs 3x more then fat so that could be ur problem, or that could be a good thing so you wont have to worry about losing weight
Wait, what?

I need to start folowing some of the advice in this thread. My cholesterol is high and I'm waiting for blood test results to determine if my thyroid level is low or not. I'm 5 feet 4 inches, 135 lbs and my cholesterol is 272. I would like to diet and whatnot, but junk food is so much more convinent.

Artificial sweeteners will tell your brain you're eating sugar, and it responds by producing insulin to metabolize the sugar. When no sugar is found, the insulin surplus will make you feel hungry.
I just learned something new (I don't use artificial sweetners though).

Verman
10-17-2005, 09:35 PM

I think he would be able to tell the difference between fat and muscle... For one he could grate cheese on his abs if he was 300lbs ripped haha! Also He would be a pro bodybuilder since Ronnie Coleman (Mr olympia) is pure muscle at 290lbs 3% bodyfat.

My bet is its not pure muscle ;) he could have a good deal of muscle on his frame but im sur ehe knows better then anyone and can easily tell the difference.

Brasel
10-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I dropped from 250 before joining the army two years ago to around 214 to get in. I weigh 194 now, but I have a big frame.

What I did at one point that really dropped pounds fast was I started eating smaller portions of meals and right between every meal I'd eat some kind of fruit like an apple or an orange. Doing that keeps your metabolism going all day rather than just when you eat, so you lose weight quick. Eating healthy snacks between meals is a real good way to lose weight, trust me.

Some Kinda Hate
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I had an eating disorder once and lost 30 something pounds in a week...but I really don't recomend it.

Verman
10-19-2005, 10:10 PM
30 something pounds in a week? holy shit...even if i didnt eat all week i wouldnt lose 30 lbs... must have been some disorder.

MottZilla
10-20-2005, 01:27 AM
I can eat whatever the fuck I want and I don't gain any weight. I can live off nothing but soda and and candy (and I have before). But that's just how my metabolism is or something like that. Anyways, most people are overweight not just from what they're taking in, but how much. People often tend to eat far too much. Lots of people eat till they are stuffed despite the fact that they sit on their ass all day. Esspecially when they were active during one season and then it ends but they keep their eating habits.

And what's great is ussually it's very difficult to lose weight once you gain alot of it. But lucky me, I don't have to worry about that. ;p

Shinespark
10-22-2005, 12:36 AM
I've personally lost over 70 lbs. in the past year or so, so I can give you some tips.

The first thing I had to do was cut out junk food. Don't drink more than 2 cans of soft drink each day. Always have ice water with you.

Everything else is metabolism. To raise your metabolism, stay active and on your feet. At 300 pounds you may find exercise too difficult to be beneficial. Work with the no junk-food diet and walk a mile every other day. You need to get the extra weight off first.

I'd like to say that maybe 8 months later you should be ready to do an aerobic exercise 3 times a week for 20 minutes. The exercise itself won't burn much fat, but it will speed up your metabolism, which will then act to slowly burn fat all day.

If you have a family history of obesity, you may have a hypoactive thyroid. If you have some money, a doctor can hook you up with pills to increase your levels of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).