PDA

View Full Version : Due to popular (and personal) demand, Zero Quest is Getting a makeover.

King Aquamentus
10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
That's right. Zero Quest as it was had a lot, but it had map issues, and places where you could get stuck. Plus, without a TITLE SCREEN and a PROLOGUE sequence, it was just another remake. So, I decided "an artist's work is not done".

-Midi Changes for the overworld, level 1, level 5...
-Rock wall restructuring. Rather than the flat four tile rock, two extra tiles have been added for a diagonal layer effect similar to the rock walls of later zeldas. Intrestingly enough, they are fashioned from LOZ tiles combined together.

-Overworld Changes:
-in the west, the top two rows of screens are not visibly accessible. find a cave.
-BTW, spectacle rock is not visibly accessible from said area. again, find a cave.
-in Level 9's intro, "(Dark World?)" will be removed. I decided Link ain't in it.
(oohoohoohoo, I smell a second quest...)
screens 75, 76, 77, and 78 are now beach. They are on lower ground than the fields above them.
-The South half of the east forest remains untouched, but from the screen above Level 8 and up, the forest gains a lot of hills. This is to reflect the east ruins of Alttp.
-The third and fourth rows of death mountain (stairs to level 6, Power Bracelet, etc.) is not treated as part of death mountain and is still accessible normally. However those "Caves" can be found here.
-Level 6 itself is only accessible from death mountain.

...and of course, I will work on the continue bugs and the map issue.

I realize a lot of people who played the original Zero Quest would not be too happy just doing it all again. That's why I'm working on really changing the experience. Don't get me wrong, many things will stay the same (dungeons...), but I think even people who played the original will enjoy this.

Thank you.

Credits to Ccc for his Legend of Zelda title. Besides midis and the fact that this all USED to be just the first quest, that Title is the only other thing I didn't really make here.

EDIT:

NEW ADDITIONS:

Added a falls area to the northwest corner of the overworld. This will get you the blue ring.

Level 7's map is officially fixed.

The Lake close to the east woods has gotten larger. much larger.

Working on item text. (Ex: You got the bow! Now all you need is the arrow!)

Zelda_Warrior
10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
This sounds like it would help Zero Quest become a much better quest, do you have any idea how long it'll take?

King Aquamentus
10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't really know. This may take a few months, or shorter. This is something I enjoy working on, so I hope it will be soon. I'm thinking of releasing it as Zero Quest: DX. New Screenshots will come soon hopefully.

-slight dungeon change. areas that were "Block and Brick" will use dungeon wall tiles.
-Level 5 alteration: The vertical path of rooms on the right are now side view. In addition, the dungeon is now red, and Pallette cycling will be used.
-If I can think of anything worth putting in them, some parts of the game IN THE MIDDLE might have cutscenes. For now though, only the intro really has cutscenes.

I have to say, what I've done is a bit inspired by Orion's lightworld. The use of Dmaps for collecting items (Ex: you got the bow! dadadaaaa!!!) Is the same basic idea used by PolygonX8 in his Metroid remake.

If you look hard enough, you can see that this was once the overworld of a link to the past.
There are a few geographical clues to it.

Trust me, large parts of the overworld have been altered. in fact, that I can think of, only the beach, most of the Graveyard, some of the beginning area, a few others haven't really been touched that much.

Dart Zaidyer
10-18-2005, 06:56 PM
I have to say, what I've done is a bit inspired by Orion's lightworld.

A bit? I'd say you've picked it up word-for-word. All of these changes are apparent in this thread (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=78&t=15080&).
Couldn't wait until I finished it, could you?

King Aquamentus
10-20-2005, 05:37 PM
sharp change: In leiu of certain similarities to the tower of hera in Alttp, Level 5 will change drastically.

Dart Zaidyer
10-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I personally feel that Zero Quest should stay true to the premise behind the name: Remake the original LoZ quest, but strip it down to its essence, use modern graphics, and then build up from there. That way, it can be a refreshing experience without looking like just another remake, or a ripoff of any other remake.

Kingboo30
10-21-2005, 09:28 PM
I do look a bit forward to this. Are you adding some more tiles onto it? I'd be really interested. But you really need to make some of the items actually hidden. As the cross shouldn't be directly given to you. Mabye have L6 as an invisible enemy dungeon and you have to find the cross if you want to survive....Also don't just give the flippers right in the entrance of level 7. And a bit harder. I still like Origin's second quest the best because it actually altered many things. Getting to level 6 should be interesting at least.

King Aquamentus
10-22-2005, 07:03 PM
One thing I strongly dislike about the Origins quests is their use of OoT Link. but like, yeah. Some new tiles. No, Don't go looking for another tileset. First, I've gotta unclutter those, and who knows when I'll feel like doing that. A lot of the new tiles are for cutscenes, but there are a few for shallow water and some nice pillars I drew myself.