PDA

View Full Version : Offline Life vs Online Life:

ShadowTiger
10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
*lights a tiny fire of moderate activity on a pile of time better spent doing practical things*

How do your online life/lives and your offline life/lives compare? Are they more different than similar? How do they compare and contrast?

Similarities
I go out of my way to see people happy through whatever means available.
I enjoy the discussion of gaming in whatever form.
I seek out the company of others and stay near them.
I find new and interesting places and look into discovering things about them.
I'm always learning. So much to discover in life.
If you've ever partaken of one of my little socially-proclaimed "speeches of wisdom," they differ very little from advice I'd give someone in real life. I'm very down to earth like that.

Disimilarities
I literally type faster than I can speak outside of the internet. I'm slowly losing my physical ability to speak. I think it's almost gone too. By next year, I won't be able to make a sound. ... I wonder what I'm going to do ...
I'm significantly more cheerful online than I am offline. That doesn't mean I'm all sulky and such over there, but I have my moments of silent thought in the classroom, and my frequent trips through out the campus are often accompanied by silent "hat-covering-face" dignity or whatever you'd call it. "emo" probably. :p Eh, I like it just fine.
I keep thinking up ideas for threads like these. :p XD

Rainman
10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm actually a girl.

Glitch
10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm really a 40 year old black bus driver.

Axel
10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I tend to be quiet and reserved around people I don't know or are in some position of authority. Otherwise I will argue with anyone, about anything, at any time.

Dart Zaidyer
10-12-2005, 03:00 PM
You know when you go somewhere and you notice the one guy who's always quietly filling up space in an out-of-the-way spot? That's me.

slothman
10-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm basically the same.
MMM, learing

Differences:
I do "talk" more online. It's easier to communicate when it isn't live.
I'm more careful about what do say, since I have more time to say it.
I don't talk much about gaming in real life
I seek out the company of others and stay near them only here.
I generally avoid people when I can IRL.
Oddly enough I am more cheerful online than off.

moocow
10-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Half of my online friends are my offline friends, too. And half of my offline friends, are people I hang out with in person.

Just to be clear, I don't consider someone an "online" friend any longer if I talk on the phone with them, or have met them at some point. Like, Gerudo. He's an offline friend, rather than online, as he lives 30 minutes away. Not like it matters 'cause his bitch ass NEVER COMES TO SEE ME. :)

I'm pretty much the same offline as I am online. 'Cept when I do my freak out things and type in all caps... I try to be more calm offline. Unless I'm drunk, then it's all over. GAME OVER.

Glitch
10-12-2005, 06:33 PM
. I try to be more calm offline..

Complete and utter bullshit.

Archibaldo
10-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Offline, I'm really good at zinging people especially my friends. And I like never stop talking.

Online, I tend to be very quiet. For example, playing WoW, when I'm grouped in an instance, people are always like "You don't talk much do you?"

Lilith
10-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I care less about what people think of me and let out my real feelings online, as it wouldn't be societally accepted especially with my physical demeanor IRL.

Verman
10-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Im pretty much the same. offline and online... Loud, obnoxious and big hahah!

I actully act alot more intelligent IRL becuase you really have too...like when at work or even helping someone out ;) I sound immature and stupid but I'm really immature and smart hahahah :D

But whatever ONWARD PENGUINS!

moocow
10-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Complete and utter bullshit.

Not exactly. I said I try. I didn't say I was. Asshole :p

Breaker
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I tend to be quiet and reserved around people I don't know or are in some position of authority. Otherwise I will argue with anyone, about anything, at any time.

ANNNNGST.

Darth Marsden
10-13-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty quiet and reserved in real life. Not so online, obviously. I'm totally calling you out here guys. No reason whatsoever, I just feel like doing it. Come on, you lot couldn't take me if I had both hands tied behind my back! :D :tongue:

IRL, I'm very much a straight sort of person. Being able to be a different person is a chance that being online gives me, and I like to take advantage of it. In the real world, I wouldn't think of expressing my views in the way I have here, nor would I gently flirting with people from another country. Being on a forum gives me the change to interact with tons of different people I wouldn't normally encounter, and it's great fun. Know what I mean?

Goat
10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I dunno if theres a difference. I always act, say, and think whatever the fuck I want whether im online or offline. Well, I guess there might be a differece. Like lets say person a called me a bitch in a chatroom, I would tell him to stfu and call him gay. IRL if person a called me a bitch, I would punch him. Thats about as different as it gets.

Rijuhn
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Similarities

- I'm patient and always trying to be helpful.

- I'm usually in a good mood.

Differences

- It's a lot easier to explain myself with text than with words, mostly because reading deep thoughts is always easier than hearing them.

- I'm more talkative in real life.

- I am more exciteable and spontaneous in person

- I'm way more attractive in person.

To be honest I've been going out pretty much every day now, and I only stay home the whole day once every two weeks. I'll go to school, work, church, or to the store and end up spending the rest of my day and part of my night with a group of friends. Friends in real life cannot be matched, no matter how you try to say it. I've had more fun with them and felt more alive within the past two weeks than I have in quite awhile.

Thhough I'm not going to disappear from the boards altogether I don't have a desire really to go online that much anymore unless it's to check the news or chat with someone I can't call on the phone. Simply put there are better things to do.

MacWeirdo42
10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't really have much of an online life... To the extent that I do, though, I'm pretty similar to my real life counterpart. I tend to not say much, unless I really have a point that I feel needs to be made. Instead, I tend to be more of a listener. Actually, I'll admit, I am a bit more reserved online than I am in real life, but that kinda stems from the fact that I'm only really open with my closest friends. That and I really have a gift for screwing up what I say in real life. Seriously, seems like not a day goes by where I don't get quoted for something.

g4conman
10-13-2005, 09:31 PM
I tend to lose my temper in real life, for instance after school today i was walking and some dude triped me..i got up and kicked his ass :D but in online life, like WoW i feel good and have no reason to kill hurt people unless its horde (damn you horde) or monsters, or if im in the arena...anyway im way more cheerful in online life..dont mess with me in reall life :evil:

since i mentioned WoW i just wanna give a shout out to the boys (and girls) in gilneas realm (Biggman, Rana, Adorind, Cyberlinx and Naomie :D) Go ALLIANCE! (and if yall see this its me Terrorbane!)

Machiavelli
10-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Differences
- Well, I talk more offline as I'm generaly more social. I have more friends offline.
- I argue better offline too. It's better when I can yell and also, people can't tell if I'm making shit up or not.
- IRL, I'm less open. And by that I mean that I'd rater tell a complete stranger something about myself than a close friend. With a online person, you don't really *know* tham and it doesn't matter if they judge you or not.
- I can have quite a temper (when pused to it) offline.
- Online, I just don't care as much in general.

Similarities:
- I'm a laid back person either way. I don't let things get to me and I let things flow. Just to see what happens.
- I'm honest both offline and online. The way I see it: If it's a small lie, why bother? Just tell the truth. If its a big lie: too much work keeping it up. Plus, I like seeing how things work out, and the truth can be plenty interesting.
- I'm easily amused.

Goat
10-14-2005, 05:10 PM
...Simply put there are better things to do.

Indeed. When I get online its either because I have to be on the computer, like homework and shit, or im just really bored. Liek ive known people whove avoided going out cause they wanted to stay in a chat room or play a game, thats pretty lame. Or people that have more online friends than real friends, thats kind of weird too. I guess I just dont get it and probably never will *shrugs*

Some Kinda Hate
10-14-2005, 05:29 PM
I feel intimidated here. Offline I don't give a shit.

Dechipher
10-14-2005, 05:39 PM
I make better decisions in real life. On here I have too much time to think about them. I'm usually quite a bit wittier offline. For some bizarre reason.

Also a bit more irritable offline as well.

Some Kinda Hate
10-14-2005, 05:45 PM
I make better decisions in real life. On here I have too much time to think about them. I'm usually quite a bit wittier offline. For some bizarre reason.

Also a bit more irritable offline as well.

Just a bit?

:p

mrz84
10-15-2005, 12:25 AM
i'm naive in a good kinda way and not corrupted by the world around me. and I love to play games of any kind. card games, board games, video games...I also enjoy time with my friends and will help them whenever I can. and i love kitties! :kitty:

Brasel
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm pretty much the same in both worlds. I don't have a lot of friends, but rather a few close ones. Online I'm the same way. I only really talk to a few online people, but unfortunately I haven't been doing such a good job getting in touch with them lately and thats my fault. I can be crazy and serious in both worlds...yeah I don't think I differ much, I mean, I go by the same name in both worlds, right?