PDA

View Full Version : ESPN + Jump Rope = WTF?

Cloral
10-10-2005, 10:49 PM
We were having dinner at work, and trying to decide whether we should watch the football game or game 5 of Yankees v. Angles. Going through the channel guide, someone noticed that one of the ESPN networks was carrying something called "USA Jumprope Showdown". We managed to get the guy with the remote to switch over to it, and oh my god! that was the funniest thing ever! It was essentially synchronized swimming but with jump rope! Anyone else ever see this before?

Rainman
10-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Lol, that's rather interesting. They'll make a sport out of anything these days. They're even trying to make cheerleading one. :P

Gerudo
10-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Super Fantastic Thumb Wrestling! Brought To You Exclusively By Espn!!

^ was supposed to be all caps... eh...

Starkist
10-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Phsaw, I was flipping through the sports stations and one of them had on hockey. Hockey! I mean, what the heck is that??

Darth Marsden
10-11-2005, 06:41 AM
And just this morning, I was flicking through and came across some bizarrew sport called 'Football'. Grown men kicking a ball around? Honestly, what's the world come to when they allow such a pathetic excuse for a sport to be shown on national television? And don't even get me started on such a horribly bland subject as Cricket! BAH!

ShadowTiger
10-11-2005, 08:52 AM
... Wait wait wait wait ... wait ... ... What the heck does jumprope + swimming even look like? :odd: How the HELL do ... you ... ... I guess it's just something you've got to see for yourself. :shrug: e_e'

Breaker
10-11-2005, 10:39 AM
... Wait wait wait wait ... wait ... ... What the heck does jumprope + swimming even look like? :odd: How the HELL do ... you ... ... I guess it's just something you've got to see for yourself. :shrug: e_e'

What's the matter with you?

slothman
10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Does anybody remember that spelling bee years ago where the girl kept covering her mouth with her hands before she said each letter?
I think they may have even had her on one of those late night talk shows.

ShadowTiger
10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
What's the matter with you?
I'm visually inclined. :shrug: It sounds exciting. Both are great sports, and it would be very interesting to see, for roughly the same reason people watch those sports at all. You wouldn't want to miss those "holy crap, wow" moments on TV, would you?

EDIT: wait, I might have misread it. Rereading...

It was essentially synchronized swimming but with jump rope! Anyone else ever see this before?Not as well phrased as it could have been, but whatever. Life goes on.

EDIT2: Thanks Cloral. :) I appreciate the elaboration.

Orion
10-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I saw this yesterday too as I was flipping through the channels. The sad part is that it amused me for a good 4-5 minutes.

Cloral
10-11-2005, 01:11 PM
By 'like synchronized swimming', I meant that instead of just having someone go up there and jump rope, they had teams that tried to coordinate their actions to look artsy. You'd have 2 people in the middle of the ropes, jumping down into a crouch position, jumping around each other, stuff like that.

DarkDragoonX
10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Okaayyyy... that is either absolutely hilarious or deeply disturbing. By which I mean the sport itself, not the fact that it briefly entertained Orion. Come to think of it, I guess it appies either way.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-11-2005, 05:02 PM
One word: Mathcounts.

Master Ghaleon
10-11-2005, 05:14 PM
I never seen that before but I always like to watch Cheap Seats and get a laugh outta some of crazy sport shows they had years ago.