PDA

View Full Version : best city to live

slothman
10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
If you could live in any city, not near your current residence, where would it be? You would make as much money as now.
I personally would like Seattle. It's not too far south to get strange critters. It's not to inland to get tornadoes. It's too far north to get hurricanes. And it's not too big or too small. I don't even mind the rain. Good for singing. :D
Maybe a few cities in Erupoe as well with similar qualities.

Eckels
10-04-2005, 06:35 PM
does the city have to actually exist? i'd like to pick an imaginary city. how would that work? can i choose one from column A and one from column B? whats the approximate lead time on this city. do you know what the list price is? does it come with a warranty, or will I have to purchase that seperately? can the city be delivered fully assembled? what kind of batteries does this city take? who do I call if i need to get parts? Do I need a special sort of license to operate this city? How far back from my property line should I erect this city? Are airbags standard? does this city have all it's shots? does it require regular bathing? do I have to buy the hose as an seperate accessory, or does it come with a hose? how often will I have to refill the city? How long will a full tank last? Am I going to have to take it down in the winter? Is it multiple choice? Can you put it in my truck for me? What is your delivery charge?

OK, so what's MY price?

Shadowblazer
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Vegas, baby. Vegas.

(Despite what my location says, I don't actually live there now. It just goes with the avatar ;) )

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Florence Italy.

Cloral
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I'd say Santa Barbara, but you specified not anywhere near where I currently live.
So I guess I'd have to pick somewhere on the Spanish or Italian coast. Those areas have a very similar climate to SB, and I love the climate. As for specific city though, I don't know.

mikeron
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Dunedin, NZ

slothman
10-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I do like where I live, NEUSA, but that would be nice too. The only problem is that most of the other places don't have as much English.

g4conman
10-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Tokyo, Japan of course they have so many game stores and they get eveything before the U.S. :rolleyes:

me2
10-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Probably Seattle/Richmond for the reasons Slothman stated.

^Also, stop being wapanese please. :(

g4conman
10-04-2005, 11:28 PM
wapanese? lol :D

MottZilla
10-05-2005, 01:14 AM
As in japanese wannabe. I really doubt you'd want to live in japan. Unless you are fluent in the language and ok with being virtually alone. If you seriously think about it, your facination with japan should wear off quickly. Just import what you want outta there and maybe visit.

I think what Slothman was saying sound good.

g4conman
10-05-2005, 01:26 AM
hmmm...it makes sense now, oh and by the way i learning japenese now ^^ ;)
and im not really gonna live there but i hope to go there just to site see or go to the tokyo game show or sumthin like that

Lilith
10-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Toronto, Rome, London, Kyoto, based on having visited them. Don't know about anywhere else.

New York is nice, but too huuuge and filthy. I don't like hot weather or the west coast, so that rules out a lot of American cities. Maybe somewhere in Germany, but I've never been there (except for the airport) so I don't know. Maybe Tokyo, but it might be too huge and hard to navigate, so it would be annoying. I like Chicago (where I live now), Kyoto reminded me of that a lot except, ya know...clean and safe.

But yeah. Toronto has great food, common language, clean, nice...Rome is laid back, once again great food, awesome history, nice people. London's just fucking cool and full of Brits, and Kyoto is clean and very safe, as well as once again having great food, being in Japan and I'm pretty good with the shopping distric by now ;)

I like big cities, I'd always like to be in a metropolitan or suburban area.

Archibaldo
10-05-2005, 09:18 AM
I'd like to live in Vancouver BC. Aparently they don't get much snow in certian areas so I could play Golf any day of the year. Plus it's still in Canada, which means... free health care! Woo-hoo!

I couldn't stand living in a foreign city like Japan. If you don't know the language you're pretty much screwed, you won't be able to get a job or order any food in a restauraunt.

Darth Marsden
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Probably Florida. So many theme parks, 'adventure' golf courses, stores that sell root beer... I'd love it. Plus I'd be able to buy Region 1 DVDs and games MUCH earlier then Region 2 stuff. Alternatively, I'd love to be able to just travel around the world. Start in England, and then gradually make my way across Europe, and so on. It'd be an interesting experience, but I doubt I'll ever have enough money to do that.

And Arch... there ARE other countries which speak English, ya know... like, oh I don't know, ENGLAND, for one.

zoraking
10-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Sandusky, Ohio. You've got the lake, Cedar Point, and, it's still a fairly small town.

EDIT: I think Beldaran would disagree with you about the whole Seattle thing. He says there's alot of weird people there. Plus, you wounldn't be free of natural destruction, they are clos to the Ring of Fire and all.

Archibaldo
10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Probably Florida. So many theme parks, 'adventure' golf courses, stores that sell root beer... I'd love it. Plus I'd be able to buy Region 1 DVDs and games MUCH earlier then Region 2 stuff. Alternatively, I'd love to be able to just travel around the world. Start in England, and then gradually make my way across Europe, and so on. It'd be an interesting experience, but I doubt I'll ever have enough money to do that.

And Arch... there ARE other countries which speak English, ya know... like, oh I don't know, ENGLAND, for one.

Yes, I know that there are other countries out there that speak english. I was just ruling out countries that don't speak english.

Darth Marsden
10-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Yes, I know that there are other countries out there that speak english. I was just ruling out countries that don't speak english.I need to start using smilies in GD, people take me way too seriously over here. :D

ShadowTiger
10-06-2005, 09:01 AM
I would probably go somewhere snowy and cold. If I'm in a position where I can start to sweat from the temperature, I'd simply rather not be there. Plus, I love when it snows. ^_^' I wouldn't mind brushing off my car to go to work every day.

slothman
10-06-2005, 11:35 PM
I like brushing off too. The only problem is that I forget to compensate and can be late to things.
Iceland could be good. Or maybe upper Greenland. You can't go wrong when they are no people for thousands of miles.

Orion
10-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I would probably go somewhere snowy and cold. If I'm in a position where I can start to sweat from the temperature, I'd simply rather not be there. Plus, I love when it snows. ^_^' I wouldn't mind brushing off my car to go to work every day.

Apparently, you've never lived in a snowy, cold area for very long. Firsrt off, you don't brush off your car. You SCRAPE it. Try doin that early in the morning, before the sun is up, when it's 30 below. It's not much fun. Then, if you're lucky, you get to shovel out your car too, and then sit in it and wait for it to warm up before you go anywhere. That is if it even starts. In that case, you might need to find someone who's car actually runs, and jump-start it.

Plus, I guarantee you, if you've never driven on ice before, odds are you will either a) hit something or b) go into the ditch.

Snow is cool for the first 5 minutes. Maybe for Christmas. After that, it's nothing more than something cold that piled up on the ground for 5 months.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Snow is awesome as long as you don't drive.

And I live in Chicago, I'm used to very long periods of cold weather.

slothman
10-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I've done all those. Well except for the waking up in the dark. The only thing I don't like is that sometimes the door doesn't open when it is frozen. I guess I am just a cold person.

MacWeirdo42
10-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Somewhere nice and warm... Maybe Hawaii. Seems like an interesting place... Sure would like to at least visit sometime. The West Coast intrigues me, too... Although I'm more interested in either Washington or Oregon than California... Reminds me, I should visit California at some point, too.

Machiavelli
10-09-2005, 06:52 PM
I would like to go to live out in California someday. Maybe I'll pick a college out there. I want to gather some friends and do an Euro-trip too. It seems like fun and I've always liked to travel.

ShadowTiger
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Apparently, you've never lived in a snowy, cold area for very long. Firsrt off, you don't brush off your car. You SCRAPE it. Try doin that early in the morning, before the sun is up, when it's 30 below. It's not much fun. Then, if you're lucky, you get to shovel out your car too, and then sit in it and wait for it to warm up before you go anywhere. That is if it even starts. In that case, you might need to find someone who's car actually runs, and jump-start it.

Plus, I guarantee you, if you've never driven on ice before, odds are you will either a) hit something or b) go into the ditch.

Snow is cool for the first 5 minutes. Maybe for Christmas. After that, it's nothing more than something cold that piled up on the ground for 5 months.
Oh, while I certainly appreciate the ... er ... your post, rest assured, I've been through severe snowstorms. ;) Blizzards, total street lockdowns and closures, .... We've scraped snow and very hard ice off of our car's windshields every morning for months straight. I've walked home in blizzards made even worse by still having to trudge through two feet of snow in boots and jeans, ... but that doesn't mean I don't still love Winter. ;)

You're completely right about the ice thing though. I hate driving...

Eh, the Canadians have a good life. XD

Lilith
10-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Another bad thing about cold weather is it ends up sucking the life out of you. You don't realize how much energy it takes to keep warm until you're at the end of a 6 month stretch of winter and you're so tired and grumpy...and so is everyone else. And guess what? You're all locked inside together...lol.