PDA

View Full Version : Con Artists

SixTen
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Got one of those 'send me your contact information and i'll give you tons of money' con emails today:

You may be a little dismayed on receipt of this mail because of its unusual contents especially from a total stranger. Nevertheless, I would plead that you take the pain to study the mail before you draw your conclusion. I'm Rose (16) and have an Elder sister Anderline (18). We are the children of Late Mr. & Mrs. John U.Ama. Our father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant here in Abidjan, the economic capital of Cote D'Ivoire. He was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings on a business trip. Our mother died when we where babies.

Before the death of our father on Sept. 2004 in a private hospital here in Abidjan, he secretly called us by his bed side and told us that he has the sum of eight million two hundred thousand United State Dollars USD ($8.200,000) deposited in a suspense
account in one of the big banks here in Abidjan. He told us that he used my sister's name (Anderline) as the next of Kin in depositing the money.

He then strongly advised us not to seek for assistance in the investment of the money from his lawyer nor any of his friend here but to seek for a foreign partner from a country of our choice (outside our country, Cote D'Ivoire) that willl assist us in the wise investment of the money.We have since left the money in the bank with the view
of our making use of it for investment purposes after our education carrier here.
But as you may be already aware by now, our country (Cote D’Ivoire) is presently at political crises. Rebels have already taken over the whole Northern
part of the country and making efforts towards the capture of the commercial center of the country, Abidjan, where we are now.

For this ugly development in this country, we have now decided to take quick actions and have this money transferred out of this country before it is
too late to do that. We now want to transfer it out and use it for investment purpose like real estate management or hotel management. Because of this we
are honorably seeking your assistance in the following ways:

(1) To serve as a guardian to us and then assist us transfer the money into your bank account. (2) To make arrangement for us to come over to your country
to further our education and then settle there parmanently.

If you accept to stand as our guardian or foster parent to us, we need not discuss on any percentage with you as you have to see the whole money as yours
and then assist us invest it. But if you still want a percentage, we are willing to offer you, 20 % of the total money as compensation for your assistance.
Pleas tell us if you feel the percentage we offered is not ok by you.

As soon as we receive your concrete assurance to assist us with our proposal and also your full contact address/phone number, we will then give the
bank your contact information and then tell them to transfer the money into your account as we want to come over to stay with you parmanently. The bank
will then contact you and communicate with you on the transfer.
No matter what your decision may turn out to be, please we beg you to keep this highly secret for our safety, as we believe that those that killed our
Daddy are still after us. Please reply us through this our more private and confidential email box ************@yahoo.fr

Thanks and God bless you .

Best regards,
Anderline & Rose Ama To which I replied:

What kind of patriots are you. Fleeing when your country is in turmoil! Take your money and go on a rampage of blood and terror to avenge your fathers death. It would even make a great movie so bring a camera along with you to capture the events as they unfold. It'll be like in that movie Boondock Saints. You can clear up the dregs of society from your country. It'll be even cooler cause you are two women, and action movies rarely have two women as the main characters. If you weren't sisters you could probably even have some hot one on one woman action in there, but considering your relationship to each other, it would be kind of gross.

Wish you the best of luck in your reign of terror against the northern rebels.

Sincerely,
Baron Manfred von Richtoven

Darth Marsden
10-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Love your response. But surely that isn't your real name? I doubt a Baron would hang around this place... ;)

These stories get more and more inventive by the day. At least this one was (bar one or two simple errors we all could make) properly spelt. Gotta give them credit for that. Although saying their Yahoo account was secure... HA!

SixTen
10-04-2005, 11:25 AM
The Baron Manfred von Richtoven... aka The Red Baron of World War I fame. I use that name when I mess with people.

biggiy05
10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
My mom got one of those last year but it was from a rich oil miner out west. Amazingly she knew it was spam right away but she can't tell the difference between a credit card offer and an e-mail that says she won something.

It was along those same lines but he said he was dying and he chose her to be the one to inherit the money. What was really weird was that he actually used her first and last name :odd:

Those e-mails are becoming as frequent as the "unauthorized access to your paypal account". I am up to about four a day of those.

Shadowblazer
10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Occasionally when I've got some time to kill at work, I read the stories over at 419eater.com (http://www.419eater.com/). It's a site dedicated to people who string these scammers along, getting them to provide all kinds of personal information in the hopes that they'll succeed in their scam. Occasionally they even get enough on them to report them to the authorities. Some very good stuff there ;)

Some Kinda Hate
10-04-2005, 04:40 PM
I've always wanted to be a con artist, but not the crappy internet kind. I'm talking about a real con artist.
I've been conning people since I was five, but I don't anymore because I'm a good kid :rolleyes:

Machiavelli
10-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Yea, Some Kinda Hate, the movies make conning people seem so cool.

DarkDragoonX
10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
It'll be like in that movie Boondock Saints.

That was the best goddamn movie ever. If anybody here hasn't seen it, go watch it now.

g4conman
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
look at the name ---> G4conman :cool: its not easy bein a con artist... but seriously, i have had plenty of con emails, i once had one saying i was the long lost ancestor of a rich bank owner who died in the 18th century and that i would receive 18 million dollars U.S. if i had given them my contact info and address. So i did as expected and reported them as spam, and hopefuly they were banished to china to work in sweat shops...only 1 may know... :rolleyes:

Glitch
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Boondock Saints is one of the greatest movies of all time.

SixTen
10-05-2005, 09:53 PM
And wouldnt it be interesting with two women instead of guys with cool accents (Not that I'm saying Boondock Saints wasn't insanely awesome as it was.) Anyway, I got a reply from them basically saying they don't want to get involved in the politics of their country and asked me again to send them my info.

I want to send another rediculous email to them but I'm short of ideas so far. Any help?

Dechipher
10-05-2005, 10:03 PM
No. You already sent a reply. Sending more would probably be overkill.

SixTen
10-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Well I would only send one if I came up with a good idea for one. I see no problem with wasting their time if they are going to waste mine.

Some Kinda Hate
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Yea, Some Kinda Hate, the movies make conning people seem so cool.

That they do.

But if I was ever really a con artist I would only con people that deserved it, and then probably end up getting conned myself, I wouldnt be mad though because it's only fair.

Kinda like that movie Matchstick Men I guess.