PDA

View Full Version : Reading boards

Jackdeldev
10-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Hey there,

A little question which has already been ask, but can't find the thread anymore.

How can I make Link read a board in Zelda Classic ?

koopa
10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
You make 2 screens and warp link from one to the other when he stands in front of or slashes at the board (with a flag to trigger the warp). Then on the 2nd screen you place fire guy (so you don't see him) and a string. Remember to instawarp back when link moves on again (put direct warps back to 1st screen all around him). And remember that strings do not work on overworld dmaps.

Jackdeldev
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
You make 2 screens and warp link from one to the other when he stands in front of or slashes at the board (with a flag to trigger the warp). Then on the 2nd screen you place fire guy (so you don't see him) and a string. Remember to instawarp back when link moves on again (put direct warps back to 1st screen all around him). And remember that strings do not work on overworld dmaps.

Thanks I succeed, but it seems that you can only read the board once. Anyway to change that ? So that Link can read it everytime ?

Thanks, wouldn't have done it without you :)

Edit : I solved the string problem. But the problem I have now, is that Link can slash the board... and he seems to be stuck in front of it.

Freedom
10-04-2005, 12:01 PM
here's another way.
Since signs don't really have a lot of words I use secret combos instead of strings.
It only requires 1 screen but there can be no other secrets on that screen.
load what text you want into layer 3 secret combos, you'll have to make the tiles.
place the flags on layer 3 to display the words.
place a temp trigger in front on the sign on layer 0
place a temp trigger in secret combo #16
place a ground tile in secret combo #17
place flag #17 on top of the temp trigger in front of the sign.
place flags #16 surrounding link so when he turns to walk away he can't miss stepping on them.
go into secret combos on layer 0 and click on secret combo 16 while holding down Ctrl and make it's secondary flag 17, and do the same with secret combo 17 making it's secondary combo 16, so they toggle back and forth as you step on the triggers.
do the same thing to the text combos on layer 3 so they toggle back and forth between a clear tile when Link steps on them as well.

make the ground around the sign on layer 1 so the temp triggers won't show as they change back and forth, or make the temp triggers look like the ground.

If done correctly every time Link walks up to the sign the text will display and every time he walks away it will disappear.

Jackdeldev
10-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks Freedom, Always there when we need help :) I'll go try that out :)

koopa
10-10-2005, 03:18 AM
My way is to set up as follows:

screen 1

..B..
..W..

B = Board, W = instawarp
screen 2

..B..
.W.W.
..W..

so if you step onto screen 1's warp you land on screen 2 and if you attempt to move on screen 2 in any direction you land back on screen 1. I've done a similar thing in my quest in the swordsmith's house with 2 rooms, in the first you enter from the bottom and someone speaks then when you walk up you are instawarped to screen 2 and the text disappears that way you can "walk up past the text".

These are all warp tiles with screen->tile warp set to instawarp. Note that screen 2's dmap type must not be overworld or the string does not appear. The string is set on screen 2 (room type:none guy:fire so he's invisible), and obviously the tile warp back takes you to the dmap you started on. You are probably setting the string on screen 1 as secret item or something that only happens once.