PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart GP Coming to US

Warlock
10-01-2005, 04:46 AM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/653/653827p1.html

Pacman is in this thing? Wierd.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/653/653827/mario-kart-arcade-grand-prix-20050926015623432.jpg

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/609/609750/mario-kart-arcade-grand-prix-20050503114754188.jpg

ZeldaLord
10-01-2005, 07:16 AM
But it's still Arcade only. :(
Why don't they release it on GC, too, like they did with FZero? :confuse2:

Warlock
10-01-2005, 09:59 AM
But it's still Arcade only. :(
Why don't they release it on GC, too, like they did with FZero? :confuse2:

Well at this point the Gamecube is kind of dead. I think after Zelda there isn't much else on the horizon. Now if they released it for Revolution, I could see that. Would be an easy port I'd imagine and something to boost the game library early on.

Hell, great idea.. the arcade machine uses steering wheels.. release this for Revolution bundled with a Steering Wheel accessory that mimics how the Rev. controller works for turning and crap. That would be awesome.

Honestly the only thing that couldn't do probably is the snap shot thing. Honestly I find that feature a little stupid anyways so I could live without it. And if they are really sneaky, I suppose they could always hide it in there and save it for the event they actually do release a camera device (i.e. like Sony Eye Toy)

The only thing is I fully expect a *real* Mario Kart for Revolution if they do that. This is just a port. I'd like to see a brand new one, no damn Namco characters. Though some of the powerups in this game might be interesting (I don't know how the spiny cheep cheep one shown above works, but imagine if it flopped around like a fish when it hit the ground.. it would be a bit like a mobile bannana peel making it much harder to avoid)

Edit: Speaking of which, one thing I sort of wonder. How good are the graphics on this thing? You can't tell from screenshots because they are too compressed, shrunken, etc. Does it use GameCube's graphics engine? Is it better than GC's? It looks *similar* to GC's based on screens but that is deceptive. GameCube's is actually pretty decent with the exception of the more advanced features like better particles, lighting, etc that I'm sure an Arcade machine could easily support (well GC could support it but then the thing would have been unaffordable). Also, GC's resolution is I believe 640x480 whereas this has potential to be much higher (but again, you can't tell from these screens). And of course there are memory concerns, where Arcade machines can usually support better processors, RAM, etc. and I'm sure this thing runs pretty damn smooth as well as features more objects on screen, more polys, etc. The question is whether they took advantage of the fact they could do that, or just made it look like a GC title in a big box. Ported to Revolution the thing certainly wouldn't show off that system's capabilities but I still wonder if it would look better than it would were it ported to GameCube (ignoring that if they did port to Revolution, the resolution would likely not be as low as 640x480.. it would be whatever Rev. ends up going with which I'm sure will be higher)

Edit2: While looking for more info on this, I just found out that Mario Kart DS will have freaking Single Player Battle Mode. Badass!

vegeta1215
10-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Mario Kart GP was built on Nintendo and Namco's Triforce board, which is based on Gamecube-like technology, so I imagine the game looks pretty good. I hear Namco worked hard to make the game very competitive, so if it ever were ported to a console like the Revolution, it would be a great candidate for online play.

Warlock
10-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Mario Kart GP was built on Nintendo and Namco's Triforce board, which is based on Gamecube-like technology, so I imagine the game looks pretty good. I hear Namco worked hard to make the game very competitive, so if it ever were ported to a console like the Revolution, it would be a great candidate for online play.

Yeah that's another thing. The online wifi stuff would be awesome for this. Another reason a Revolution port of this game would rock.

ZeldaLord
10-02-2005, 06:53 AM
The problem is, those types of arcades died out years ago here in the UK.
Oh, well, still looks good, and I really can't wait for MKDS. :D

Darth Marsden
10-02-2005, 07:33 AM
You're just not looking in the right place, ZL. Head for the beach, there's tons of arcades there.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me who's in 7th and 8th in that top picture? It's been bugging me for ages!

Warlock
10-02-2005, 08:46 AM
You're just not looking in the right place, ZL. Head for the beach, there's tons of arcades there.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me who's in 7th and 8th in that top picture? It's been bugging me for ages!

Ms. Pacman and Blinky

Tygore
10-02-2005, 09:13 AM
What's the Spiny-Fish item supposed to do?

And even if its not this, does anyone serously think that there won't be a Mario Kart Revolution title? Speaking of which, MKDS comes out this month. There needs to be an Online AGN tournament when it comes out.

Warlock
10-02-2005, 12:04 PM
And even if its not this, does anyone serously think that there won't be a Mario Kart Revolution title? Speaking of which, MKDS comes out this month. There needs to be an Online AGN tournament when it comes out.

Um.. no.. why wouldn't there be? Every console since the SNES which spawned the series has had a Mario Kart. That's like saying they won't do another Mario Party or Zelda game.

Darth Marsden
10-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Thank you Warlock!

And of course there'll be a MKRevolution. (That abbreviation looks suspiciously like Mortal Kombat..!) Even if we have to wait a while, we can at least play Double Dash!! on the new console. That'll be interesting. Wonder if we can do it with the new controller?

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
The MKDS tournament would be teh fun if everyone had WiFi. I'd buy a DS so that me and Lilith could play. We both <3 MK.

Warlock
10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Thank you Warlock!

And of course there'll be a MKRevolution. (That abbreviation looks suspiciously like Mortal Kombat..!) Even if we have to wait a while, we can at least play Double Dash!! on the new console. That'll be interesting. Wonder if we can do it with the new controller?

You mean Double Dash? I seriously doubt any GC titles will support the Rev. controller. That's the sort of thing that has to be programmed in. Unless they have some wierd way of detecting certain games (i.e. Super Gameboy would see games like Zelda and automatically set certain color schemes and borders for them) and downloading code to support the controller (but the best they could do would be to have the Rev. controller mimic the GC's.. so say, you turn it to the left, it tells the game you are pressing left on the GC controller). But that's probably more complex than Nintendo will want to go for what is essentially an old game by that time.

As for Mario Kart Revolution, I can see that as being truely awesome with that controller. Nintendo can release a steering wheel and the thing will be just like playing an arcade racer. It will rock.

P.S. - Mario Kart DS is going to kick so much ass. EVERY course from EVERY Mario Kart in there plus new ones. That's courses from Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash!. All of them. I assume all the battle courses too (because let's face it, Double Dash had some freaking lousy ones.. MK64 is still the king in that area I think - Block Fort rules all). Add to this the wireless internet support AND the fact that you will be able to play SINGLE PLAYER battle mode and this game is going to be truely awesome. I just hope the Revolution Mario Kart will also feature all the old courses (as unlockables or something). Double Dash didn't which was a little disappointing. Heck, they can probably just grab the revamped 3d ones they are doing for DS and port those over with enhanced textures and resolution.

P.S.S. - Mario Kart DS is such a lame name. Why did they go so generic? At least do something like "Mario Kart: Double Speed" or something clever like that.

vegeta1215
10-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Did Nintendo announce that the Mario Kart game for the DS would have all those courses? I hadn't read that yet.

btw, I think by play Double Dash on the Revolution, Darth just meant through the GCN backwards compatibility and use of the regular GCN controller.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Koopa Troopa Beach is the greatest course ever. Fact.

Warlock
10-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Koopa Troopa Beach is the greatest course ever. Fact.

That level is small and boring. There are a lot better levels in both MK64 and MK:DD. The Bowser's Castle levels alone are better :P

AtmaWeapon
10-02-2005, 03:22 PM
P.S.S. - Mario Kart DS is such a lame name. Why did they go so generic? At least do something like "Mario Kart: Double Speed" or something clever like that.It is common for Nintendo to distinguish between its franchises on systems with some qualifier in the name; consider these examples:

Super Metroid
Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. Advance
Mario Kart 64
Super Punch-Out!

And so on. So while Mario Kart DS is somewhat of a bad name, at least they aren't falling prey to Capcom disease and naming it something like "Super Mario Kart 64 Double Dash Super Circuit Dual Screen Edition With WiFi Battle Mode".

My friend and I actually have a joke about how most DS games are using DS in the title but not using it for "Dual Screen" (like Advance Wars: Dual Strike). We call it Dual Screen anyway. It's not really that funny but hey it's all good.

Darth Marsden
10-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Did Nintendo announce that the Mario Kart game for the DS would have all those courses? I hadn't read that yet.

btw, I think by play Double Dash on the Revolution, Darth just meant through the GCN backwards compatibility and use of the regular GCN controller.Some levels from each of the previous games are included, but not all. That'd be far too many to squeeze in. Someone's got his information a little mixed up.

And I meant 'I wonder if we could possibly use the new Revolution controller to control the racers in Double Dash!!'. It's unlikely, but it would be so cool if you could.

Tygore
10-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Um.. no.. why wouldn't there be? Every console since the SNES which spawned the series has had a Mario Kart. That's like saying they won't do another Mario Party or Zelda game.

Somehow I had misread someone's previous post to read "if they do a Mario Kart for the Revolution." I was really tired when I posted it.

I heard somewhere that Nintendo will release a USB accessory that allows people without WiFi to still use their computers to play the DS online. Don't know if it was true or not, as I haven't seen anything from Nintendo about it. But it would be awesome, since a bunch of people going to Starbucks just to play Mario Kart would be inconvinient for them, and may cause the infamous Starbucks-Nintendo wars of 2006.

Grasshopper
10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
The USB accessory, I think that was for Revolution, but I don't see why they wouldn't do it for DS.

MottZilla
10-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Some levels from each of the previous games are included, but not all. That'd be far too many to squeeze in. Someone's got his information a little mixed up.

I just thought I'd point out, the Nintendo DS can actually address something like 4 GigaBits of data, which is about 512mbytes. That is HUGE for a ROM storage medium. So they most certainly could probably fit all the Mario Kart courses on a DS cart, it's just that you know they won't.