PDA

View Full Version : Three strange questions

fire dragon
09-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Hello again!
I have three new questions:
1.How I can make trigger that opens example gate in another screen?

2.Why my ladder doesn't work in overworld or cave type maps?

3.I want make minigame that is "survive" game.I want know,how I can make,that player must pay,before Link can enter minigame?

Thanks for everybody who answer something!

rocksfan13
09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
2. You must push F9 then select use ladder.

DeFray
09-27-2005, 05:48 PM
1. There's another post in this forum called "Triggering Secrets upon Boss Defeats". You could find this if you want. But I'll try to make a good description here, anyway.

You're going to have to use boss flags to make this work. Let's call the screen with the gate Screen A. You're going to have to set up your game so that when the player does something on a Screen B, it triggers secrets on Screen A. How do we do this?

There is an enemy in ZQuest you may have noticed called the Trigger. This enemy never appears on the screen and never does anything. It is specifically designed to be used for this purpose in activating secrets. I'll now describe the process of setting up the screens, and hopefully it'll all make sense.

Go to Screen A (the one with the gate) and set one "Trigger" as the only enemy. Press F9 to open Screen Data. You need to check "Enemies->Secrets". You may want to check "No Secret Sounds" too, if you don't want the secret noise to play every time the player enters the screen. Next push F12 for Enemy Flags and check the "Dungeon Boss" flag. This is to keep the Trigger enemy from reappearing. Set up your secret combos (like the open gate) on the screen in whatever way you want.

Now we need a Screen B. This is the screen where you will activate the secret on Screen A. Most often this is a screen that contains a boss, but you could also use a screen with no enemies on it or a "Special Item" room where the player takes an item from a guy. The important part is that the secret on Screen A will trigger as soon as the player is on Screen B and there are no more enemies/guys on Screen B. You could just set no enemies on this screen, and then the secrets would trigger as soon as Link entered it.
In short, the way you set up Screen B depends on how you want the player to activate the secret, and differs in different quests and situations. Once you've got Screen B set up, set the Dungeon Boss flag in it.

Now, when the enemies in Screen B die, it'll mean that no enemies will ever reappear in either Screen. Whenever Link enters Screen A after this, ZC will see that the boss for the level is already dead, so it won't let the Trigger enemy appear. That means there won't be any enemies on the screen, so "Enemies->Secret" will trigger the secrets on the screen.

Oh, one more thing. For this to work, you need to make sure that the DMaps for both screens have the same level number. It's easy to adjust that in the DMap menu. It doesn't matter what level number they are, but they have to be the same. Otherwise the boss flags won't do anything.

Umm, I think that's everything for that. :)

3. I remember Petoe doing something like this in MegaMan. The way he set it up was to use a room in an L-shape, where Link enters from the side and then leaves through the top to enter the minigame. In this room, set the Room Type to Item Shop. Then, set up this shop with whatever guy and string you want (you could make it a guard or whatever). The important part is to set the items up so that there is only one item on sale, and set its price to whatever you want the player to pay to enter the game.

The idea is that the top half of the combos in a shop are automatically unwalkable as long as there is a guy there. Thus, the player will not be able to move upward unless they buy the item.
I would suggest using one of the Misc. items in the shop. Then you can set the picture for this item to be a ticket, or whatever else you want. You could even set the picture for this item to be an empty, transparent tile so that no picture appears for the item. Then, it won't even look like Link is buying anything. It will just look like he has to pay money before the guy moves out of the way.

If any of this doesn't make sense or doesn't work, feel free to post back. :)

LinkMaster500
09-27-2005, 05:51 PM
One other thing regarding the mini-game issue, do not allow the player to walk back to the admission room from the room above because Link will be stuck in the unwalkable combos. Instead use the bottom passage as a side warp back to the room where he pays.

Zelda_Warrior
09-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Also, put only one item in the shop, misc 2, and have it be in the second slot if you wanted centered. This will make the item invisible so you only pay for the admission, not any item.

jessethe2nd
09-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Just another possibilty. This may or may not work. set the minigame area up like a dungeon. have a ticket person sell a key that will open one door. since the key is sold and not found you would be able to buy as many as you want. Anyway, set up the the room with a door or multiple doors. your choice. Now here is the trick, I hope this works. It does in theory. Manually make the doors, so doont use the door menu, make a solid lockblock combo that looks like a locked door. now for the tile that apears after you unlock the the door make this tile cycle. so after you open the door the door should lock again. now on the other end of the door make it so that it is a one way shutter, or you could use combo cycling to I suppose. anyway this room will be your fight room. set it so that the door on the other end of the room will open when the enemies are vanquised and put your prize in this room. It may or may not work but if it does it will allow for quite a bit of freedom as far as a survival minigame. just remember to set the continue at the entrance of the minigame and you will be set. :cool: