PDA

View Full Version : Distributing beta screens/quests: Current policy?

Dart Zaidyer
09-26-2005, 11:12 PM
I know the devs have shown people screenshots describing some of the new beta features lately, but I wanted to ask about it before I did anything.

Are testers allowed to show screenshots of quests that directly flaunt new yet undisclosed features? And if we finish a quest, are we still allowed to release the player (with proper warning) so people can enjoy it?
I know things like this were done in the past, but I'd like to be clear on current policy.

jman2050
09-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Depends. The current build of ZC is hardly stable, but if we get to a point in development where a stable player is made, then sure, why not? It's a good way to get people hyped before the quest is released :)

Of course, everything would be done at our discretion, so as long as no one is presumptuous, I (and perhaps DN) will be leniant about the matter.

Dark Nation
09-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Um, yeah. What he said.

ShadowTiger
09-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Let us also remember that things can very easily be "mocked up." Right now, I could create a screenshot of a new 3x4 enemy that flashes and moans when you strike it with your two-tile long Biggoron sword. :p It's quite possible. People may or may not be able to distinguish between the mockup and the Not-A-Mockup 'shot. That's the beauty of it all. :p Heh. ^_^' What do I mean by this though? If just anyone can create a screenshot which can mimic a potential new feature, how would you know for sure that it's just a mockup? ;)

Eh. They'll be quick to assume anyway.

Sephiroth
09-27-2005, 03:58 PM
So.. If I have a few beta testers of my quest, and I currently have been making it in the latest private alpha, It's okay for me to send them the player but not zquest? :)

jman2050
09-28-2005, 09:03 AM
If you ask us first (which you did) sure, but remember to tell them how unstable the build might be. And please back up your quest often, I really wouldn't want anything to happen to it because of me, FCF or DN >_<

Sephiroth
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Okay..

LTM's ZC Expo is almost ready to be posted on PureZC and I would like to have my quest in it.

The only drawback, It's using alpha 5.

What I want, is like written (typed) consent that I can release this here demo to the expo along with the player and necessary files to run the player.. (all the files except zquest.exe and the .qst files) O_o;

Is this okay with the developers here?

jman2050
10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm a big supporter of the Expo, and it'd be the perfect place to show off many of the cool new features and bug fixes. I say yes, unless DN gives a good reason otherwise ^_^

Just make sure you specify that this is an incomplete beta and that it is NOT compatible with 2.10 save files.

Sephiroth
10-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm a big supporter of the Expo, and it'd be the perfect place to show off many of the cool new features and bug fixes. I say yes, unless DN gives a good reason otherwise ^_^

Just make sure you specify that this is an incomplete beta and that it is NOT compatible with 2.10 save files.
Yea.. I'm waiting for the okay from all the devs.. :p Thanks Jman. :D

Dark Nation
10-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Any player may be distributed at any time, unless expressly forbidden by one of the developers or unless there is a serious bug that either breaks security (such as developer mode accidentally being left on) or causes major computer problems (such as deleting your hard drive).

Sephiroth
10-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Any player may be distributed at any time, unless expressly forbidden by one of the developers or unless there is a serious bug that either breaks security (such as developer mode accidentally being left on) or causes major computer problems (such as deleting your hard drive).
Thank you for your reply DN. :)