PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.11 Beta 5

jman2050
09-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Lots and lots of changes here. TOo bad I'm sick, so I can't be on long. In short:

Lots of upgrades to Link
Lots of upgrades to other stuff

Other stuff
More stuff

Aw, who am I kidding, I can't remember all the changes >_< I'll make a comprehensive list when I get better, but for now, the one new feature I want to highlight is in the Link Dialog. Besides a new animation style, there's... something else. Use it, explore it, and report any and all bugs that occur using this (I'm sure there are many). For a demonstration of some of Link's new abilities, look at the extra qst file. i's not pass-protected, so do whatever you like to it.

And of course, remember to back up your quests, save files won't work, use at your own risk, yadda yadda... you all just want the link ;)

http://jman2050.armageddongames.net/Moldrums/zc211b5/zc211b5.zip

Freedom
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Link isn't working.

jman2050
09-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Hmm... this isn't supposed to happen O_o

*snip*

Freedom
09-25-2005, 11:27 AM
the zquest and zelda (windows) files are usually named zquest-w.exe and zelda-w.exe and the dos versions zelda.exe and zquest.exe, are these just renamed?
what is upx.exe?

Neither zquest.exe or zelda.exe will launch for me, I get a "a required file, MSVCR71D, was not found" error window.

jman2050
09-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Sorry, I mistakenly compiled the debug versions >_> I used VC++ instead of mingw32 for the compiling, since it seems to do a better job of it. Will get updated exes up shortly...

Also, once you get the beta, press 'B' on a tile in the tile selector, then attempt to edit it ;)

jman2050
09-25-2005, 02:29 PM
The files have been updated. Also, just in case some of you get a missing DLL file, download these and put them in the same directory as the programs

http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/DLLs.zip

Nick
09-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Uh... the test quest crashes ZC (not ZQuest) before it completely loads. :odd:

I like how combo aliases have the small preview in the alias drawing view, though. Besides that, I've not had time to test anything else. That'll have to wait until tomorrow.

4matsy
09-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I'm also getting the crash with the test quest in zelda-w.exe...o_O

EDIT: And Link's ring palettes aren't working at all--he stays in the green/no-ring cset no matter what.

jman2050
09-25-2005, 04:52 PM
For the quest crash, it isn't happening to me. Though, look in your allegro.log file. Did it crash when it was loading the MIDIs? If so, then either you don't have the alleg42.dll file in your folder, or I screwed up in distributing the DLL. More information would be nice.

Freedom
09-25-2005, 05:25 PM
It crashes the second you hit enter, here is my log file, I have the 42

EDIT;
removed the log file to shorten the thread back up.

jman2050
09-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Oh crap, now I know what's wrong...

I forgot the updated fonts data file :P

http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/fonts.dat

You need this updated data file for the BS-subscreens to work. Since the test screen uses them...

Freedom
09-25-2005, 06:05 PM
That fixed it
Boy that BIG BOY Link looks funny picking on those tiny enemies

The subscreen time doesn't seem to be right, and the dying sequence throws up some funny combos, but you probably know about that already.
I like the ability to walk at the 45 degree angle
I only played it for a couple of minutes, more later.

Nick
09-25-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out everything that is new, but I came across a new option in the options dialog for ZQuest called "Strict MIDI." What does this do, if anything?

jman2050
09-25-2005, 06:22 PM
From what I recall, Strict MIDI doesn't do anything yet...

Dark Nation
09-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Actually, if using a custom alleg42.dll (that I need to give you guys), it fixes the problem with certain MIDI files holding notes for too long.

Sephiroth
09-25-2005, 09:28 PM
DN: From those Isometric/Dungeon mode threads, Can I take a look at that quest so I can set my dungeon walls up the same way? I can only see parts of the combo list. Thanks.

Freedom
09-25-2005, 09:57 PM
DN: From those Isometric/Dungeon mode threads, Can I take a look at that quest so I can set my dungeon walls up the same way? I can only see parts of the combo list. Thanks.

I haven't figured out quite how to use that either.

ShadowTiger
09-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Feel better jman. =/ ... Being sick can wreak havoc on your ... well ... daily life. :p Definitely get better soon. ^_^ ... Being sick is, after all, bad for your health. XD (lol .. sister said that.)

Anyway, quick question. The most recently added quest rule; the last one on the last page; "Warps Ignore Arrival X/Y" - naturally, the question would arise; ... what will that do? O_o'

Dark Nation
09-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Okay, load up the following quest file in ZQuest, then try these (make sure you select a nice looking CSet, too):

Go to map 7, screen 00. Select combo 1024, then hit the 'O' key to switch to relational mode, then start drawing. This creates rivers/lakes.
Go to map 7, screen 01. Select combo 1071 and start drawing. This creates islands/land bridges.
Go to map 7, screen 02. Select combo 2304 and start drawing. This makes grassy paths.
Map 7, screen 03. Hit the 'O' key again to switch to dungeon mode. Select combo 1280 and start drawing. This creates dungeon rooms.
Map 7, screen 04. Select combo 1536 and start drawing. This will produce dungeon rooms that are a little closer to what you are used to.
Map 7, screen 05. Hit the 'O' key 3 more times to go back to relational mode. Select combo 2048, cset 3. This will let you draw waterways in dungeons (it's the same setup as the other two relational drawings we just did; the combos just look different as there aren't any side or corner combos except for a 'top' water combo). Draw some out now.
Map 7, screen 05. Switch to layer 1 (this has already been set up for you) and pick cset 2. Hit the 'O' key 4 times to reset relational mode. Now, you can draw out floor borders around the parts that aren't waterways.
Map 7, screen 06. Switch to layer 0 and select combo 2560, cset 3. Now, draw out a lava river. Once it is done, hit Ctrl-Page Down and select combom 2816 (it will be in the same position as combo 2560 was). Go back over some of the lava combos and replace them with this one to add some variety. There are 5 groups of lava combos set up. Hit Ctrl-Page Down to get to each one and select the first one in whatever group you choose. Notice how if you draw just below a floor tile that the lava tile that is drawn is one of the floor/lava border combos. After you have the lava looking right, you can switch back to layer 1 and draw out some floor borders (like from before) if you wish.

Anyway, here's the quest:
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/sejarah/zc211b5/relational2.qst

jman2050
09-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Feel better jman. =/ ... Being sick can wreak havoc on your ... well ... daily life. :p Definitely get better soon. ^_^ ... Being sick is, after all, bad for your health. XD (lol .. sister said that.)

Anyway, quick question. The most recently added quest rule; the last one on the last page; "Warps Ignore Arrival X/Y" - naturally, the question would arise; ... what will that do? O_o'

Know how scrolling warps to different dmaps cause saving bugs? In this build, the continue location will NOT be saved if the screen the scrolling warp leads to has the arrival point at 0,0 (default), to prevent game-breaking bugs in older quests. Or at least, that's what it was designed to do. Testing this area would be helpful too ;)

ShadowTiger
09-26-2005, 09:42 AM
And by "In this build," you mean, with that quest rule on? That is definitely very cool. o.o Kudos on the new rule. Could it say "Warps Ignore Coords 0,0" instead? It's a bit more specific. ... Or did I miss something there?

I'll look for some old quests; dunno how this particular college happens to feel about ZC-gaming in their computer labs. XD

EDIT: *Views The Post Below* ... Ah. Thank you for clearing that up.

jman2050
09-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Enabling the rule makes it act as it does previously. The behavior I described is now the default. Though you're right, I should think of a better name for that quest rule...

Dart Zaidyer
09-28-2005, 02:11 AM
How about something like "Sidewarps Don't Save"?

idontknow
09-28-2005, 03:14 AM
What does the 'Full Priority Damage Combos" Quest Rule do?

Also, what does the "Item Never Resets" screen flag do? (is that for the use of the 'Reset Room' combo, making it reset everything except for the item if checked?)

jman2050
09-28-2005, 09:05 AM
What does the 'Full Priority Damage Combos" Quest Rule do?

Also, what does the "Item Never Resets" screen flag do? (is that for the use of the 'Reset Room' combo, making it reset everything except for the item if checked?)

Someone mentioned a bug where if a pit and a damage combo were next to each other you can avoid the damage combo simply by partially walking onto the pit warp. This fixes that, but it's a quest rule in case someone wants to use the former behavior.

And you're 100% correct on the second item :)

Dark Nation
10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Oh, two features that I forgot to post about:

In the tile selector, holding the control key while doing a tile overlay (the O key) causes and underlay to occur. Instead of overlaying the currently copied tile onto the currently selected tile, you are overlaying the currently selected tile onto the currently copied tile and then pasting that back into the currently selected tile.

In the combo selector, holding the control key and hitting + or - will cause the tile referenced by the currently selected combo(s) to increase or decrease by 1. So, suppose you had 5 sequential tiles (say, 323 through 327) that you wanted to turn into 5 sequential combos. Normally, you would select a blank combo, edit it, pick the tile, then repeat for the other 4 combos (maybe after copying and pasting the first combo to the other 4 so that you can get to the desired tile easily). With this feature, you create the first combo and paste it into the next 4 combo slots. Then, put the cursor on the 5th combo, and shift-select back to the 2nd combo so that the last 4 combos will be selected, the selection start will be the 5th combo and the selection end will be the 2nd combo. Then, hit control and the + key. The last 4 combos will reference tile 324. Now, do a shift-right so that only the last 3 combos are selected. Hit control and the + key and the combos will now reference tile 325. Continue for the last 2 combos. It's pretty fast once you get the hang of it. I am working on a way to do a quick combo creation from a group of selected tiles, but this will do for now.

ShadowTiger
10-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh, two features that I forgot to post about:

In the tile selector, holding the control key while doing a tile overlay (the O key) causes and underlay to occur. Instead of overlaying the currently copied tile onto the currently selected tile, you are overlaying the currently selected tile onto the currently copied tile and then pasting that back into the currently selected tile.

In the combo selector, holding the control key and hitting + or - will cause the tile referenced by the currently selected combo(s) to increase or decrease by 1. So, suppose you had 5 sequential tiles (say, 323 through 327) that you wanted to turn into 5 sequential combos. Normally, you would select a blank combo, edit it, pick the tile, then repeat for the other 4 combos (maybe after copying and pasting the first combo to the other 4 so that you can get to the desired tile easily). With this feature, you create the first combo and paste it into the next 4 combo slots. Then, put the cursor on the 5th combo, and shift-select back to the 2nd combo so that the last 4 combos will be selected, the selection start will be the 5th combo and the selection end will be the 2nd combo. Then, hit control and the + key. The last 4 combos will reference tile 324. Now, do a shift-right so that only the last 3 combos are selected. Hit control and the + key and the combos will now reference tile 325. Continue for the last 2 combos. It's pretty fast once you get the hang of it. I am working on a way to do a quick combo creation from a group of selected tiles, but this will do for now.These are so amazingly useful. They're as useful as the Reset Room Combos. Easily. Congratulations on their proud additions into the ZC Engine! ^_^ They shall be used quite frequently.

Now all we need is a way to increase the value by 20 or -20 as well as by 1 or -1 to accommodate for the movement through tiles page rows instead of columns. :p It would make things like setting These (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tiles&id=104) up a lot easier. :)