PDA

View Full Version : They left out 'Maxing all Cool'

SixTen
09-24-2005, 04:18 PM
The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40766)

'Hanging Out' Continues To Grow In Popularity Among Teens

September 21, 2005 | Issue 41•38 (http://www.theonion.com/content/index/4138)

WORCESTER, MA—Parents and child advocates across the nation are voicing concerns about the dramatic increase in "hanging out" among American adolescents.

"It's a common refrain among today's teens," said Mark DuFresne, executive director of Good Clean Fun LLC, a Worcester-based watchdog organization that monitors teen leisure activities. "If you ask them what they've been doing on any given day, invariably the response will be 'hanging out.' While it may seem harmless, even cool, the sad truth is that hanging out distracts our children from more important goals, such as buckling down or shaping up."

DuFresne said data compiled by his organization shows that "hanging," as it is known among the most dedicated out-hangers, is a gateway activity that often leads to other, more intense activities, such as "goofing off," "kicking back," or even "screwing around."

"Today, it's hanging out," DuFresne said. "Tomorrow, it could be messing around, or even hooking up. That's the problem: You never know where it's going to go."

One characteristic of hanging out that particularly alarms parents is that it can take place anywhere, even in such otherwise benign locations as convenience-store parking lots, pizza parlors, or right under parents' own roofs.

While teens' public out-hanging often causes mild consternation among adult onlookers, the most intense form of the popular recreational activity occurs in subterranean locales. It is in these covert locations, called "hangouts," that hang-related deeds most often transpire.

"When we remodeled the basement, it was just to install a new washer and dryer and create a place for our old sleeper sofa and TV," said Arlene Verbitski, a Worcester-area mother of two teenage sons. "You know, like a room for rumpus-oriented play. I never intended it for use as a den of hanging out. I don't know what they're doing down there. Are they flipping out? Getting down? For all I know, they could be getting over, stylin' along, or jamming away. I'm scared."

According to DuFresne, "cool" youths have harnessed today's powerful communications technology, enabling them to schedule hanging meetings from virtually any location. Teens are now able to arrange a "hang time" with their accomplices via mobile telephones, pagers, or even computerized written correspondence. Hanging out, with-hanging and hang-sliding need not even involve actual face-to-face contact, with the advent of message-boarding and chatting-rooms.

"There's no doubt about it: Teens are hanging out," said San Pedro, CA, father of three Eugenio Mendez, pointing to the door of his basement. "I don't like what I'm hearing down there. Sure, when I was a kid, we would hang around, but that was totally different. At least we were 'around.' We were never 'out.'"

"Before too long, they're going to be grooving up," Mendez added.

Many adults have raised the concern that, as hanging out gains popularity among teens, it will be taken up by impressionable pre-teens.

"My daughter is only 12, and she and her friends are already 'hanging the o,' as she refers to it," Denver homemaker Mindy Carver said. "But for all I know, she's looping over and freaking about. She sees older kids doing it, and that's what she's going to do."

While there have been no reported incidents of hanging-out-related fatalities, DuFresne advised against complacency, accusing indifferent parents of "not seeing the bigger picture."

"How much longer will teens be content with just hanging out?" DuFresne said. "The rate at which they mature today, they are at a severe risk for rolling down, rocking high, shaking off, or tripping and slipping over and underneath. Maybe even leaking through."

Added DuFresne: "The sooner we nip this in the bud, the sooner our youth can straighten tight and bust forward."
I have to say, even I would be guilty of something like this, I know it's hard to believe though. But I have never heard of ANYONE sinking to the depths of 'tripping and slipping over and underneath.'

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-24-2005, 04:50 PM
wtf, how dare those bastards use your Rumpus Oriented Play room to Hang Out in.

Darth Marsden
09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
DuFresne: "The sooner we nip this in the bud, the sooner our youth can straighten tight and bust forward."

I have never heard anyone use that phrase in my entire life. This whole article makes no sense whatsoever. The youth of today is so screwed up. It all "F*** this" and "F*** that" and "F*** off". Show some respect for your elders, people!

Archibaldo
09-24-2005, 08:35 PM
LMAO! That article is awesome. Nice find SixTen

Lilith
09-25-2005, 05:49 AM
DuFresne: "The sooner we nip this in the bud, the sooner our youth can straighten tight and bust forward."

I have never heard anyone use that phrase in my entire life. This whole article makes no sense whatsoever. The youth of today is so screwed up. It all "F*** this" and "F*** that" and "F*** off". Show some respect for your elders, people!

You're a little...creepy.

Darth Marsden
09-25-2005, 09:20 AM
You're a little...creepy.Well yeah, but I also don't understand why kids these days (I'm only 21, but I feel so much older sometimes) have to swear with every other word. Is his really what we want the next generation to be like? Honestly.

This isn't a dig at any forum members. I'm sure that all of you with kids are raising them to be productive members of society, it's the teens of today I'm bitching about (maybe this is in the wrong thread, but I've started, so I'll finish). I swear, all they seem to do is drink alcohol, swear at each other and screw around. It wasn't like this in my day, etc.

Machiavelli
09-25-2005, 12:39 PM
it's the teens of today I'm bitching about ...I swear, all they seem to do is drink alcohol, swear at each other and screw around.
Keyword=seem. I'm a teen of today and the only peole that think that are the outsiders looking in. I don't drink for the hell of it, I don't curse all that much and have never screwed anybody. Most of the teens I know don't live that fast lifestyle either. You're picking a relatively small group of teens and assuming that the rest are like that.

Darth Marsden
09-25-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm picking the groups that I see on television and encounter myself, which are as I've stated above, are lazy, rude and obnoxious. At least it seems that way over here - remember that I'm British and we've gone right down the crapper lately. Probably should have mentioned that earlier, sorry.

Machiavelli
09-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I know what you mean. Only the bad stuff gets mentioned on TV. Someone grows weed in your school and it's all over the paper. But if Citigroups partnership with you school leads to things like award ceremonies, ribbon cuttings and internships, none of that does. Seriously, Citigroup gave a roomful of new computers, a plasma TV and a bunch of other stuff to my school. There was a big ribbon cutting ceremony. You barely see it anywhere. A kid gets stabbed in the neck and it's all over the news. People ike reporting the bad and leaving out the good.

SixTen
09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes I can see your point DM, but I think you may have misunderstood the article. It's only meant as a joke.

Breaker
09-25-2005, 07:18 PM
I swear, all they seem to do is drink alcohol, swear at each other and screw around. It wasn't like this in my day, etc.

Maybe you just weren't aware of it? :shrug:

SixTen
09-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Maybe things are different in England ( I don't think so...) but I'm only 20 and it doesn't seem like things have changed that much between teens of four years ago and teens of today.

Lilith
09-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Things have been like this ever since society let kids be teenagers. Believe me...they've been drinking and fucking around since it's been possible to.

Darth Marsden
09-26-2005, 05:48 AM
England's been going down the crapper for a while now (Thanks, Mr Blair). Drinking, smoking, swearing and fucking are more rampant these days because kids can get away with it. We need to toughen up.

And yes, I know the original article wasn't exactly serious. Neither was my first post, really. Then I got challenged and... well, that's how things went. Threads have a habit of changing topic the longer the go on, don't they?

Daarkseid
09-26-2005, 05:58 AM
[color=RoyalBlue]England's been going down the crapper for a while now (Thanks, Mr Blair). Drinking, smoking, swearing and fucking are more rampant these days because kids can get away with it. We need to toughen up.

No, I think you just need to relax those rectal muscles a bit.

Darth Marsden
09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Bah, you know nothing of Britain's youth. Come over to London, look for yourself. Damned Yanks. :sly:

Rainman
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
England's been going down the crapper for a while now (Thanks, Mr Blair). Drinking, smoking, swearing and fucking are more rampant these days because kids can get away with it. We need to toughen up.

There is nothing wrong with any of those things. If they were killing animals or people then you have a social problem.

Goat
09-26-2005, 05:50 PM
...I swear, all they seem to do is drink alcohol, swear at each other and screw around. It wasn't like this in my day, etc.

I am 21 as well, and yes it was. I dunno how you were raised, or where you grew up, but not all younger people are like this. There are many 16-19 year old kids that I work with, and most are not like this. I have met kids who are, and I have met many more who are not. You cant judge everyone just by what you choose to see or the media tells you. You know, you always hear about the one kid who gets drunk and gets in trouble, yet you never hear about teh 4 that are at home studying and in bed at a decent time. I dont care whatr this thread is about, and I didnt even read all of it, but your commenst really pissed me off.

Darth Marsden
09-27-2005, 05:32 AM
I grew up on the South Coast of England, where I still live today. I have been kept up many a night by the drunken cries of teens returning home - in fact, the day I first posted I'd ony gotten about 4 hours sleep the night before thanks to those people, which prompted me to go on a rant that I admit may have been a bit skewed. Not EVERY person in the country is a drunken whore. I know that, and you know that. But the fact is that while there aren't many people who are, that number is, slowly, increasing. THAT'S what I was bitching about, although in my sleepless haze, I may have gone a bit too far. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. That wasn't my intention.

You do have to admit that this country has its problems though. It's not as widespread as I said earlier, but England isn't as great as it used to be. I quite like living in England, although maybe I wish I didn't live in an area with quite so many elderly people, but it's a nice area and it used to be quite peaceful. It still is mostly, but sometimes you get a group of teens who have had a little too much to drink and who think it's funny to write graffiti over public phone boxes. ('Women have many problems, but men have only two. Everything they say and everything they do!') THAT'S what irritates me. I may have taken it much too far, but that's what I was trying to get across.

Machiavelli
09-27-2005, 08:06 PM
'Women have many problems, but men have only two. Everything they say and everything they do!'People really write that on phone booths? Losers.

But, I really do know what you mean. My quiet little neighborhood isn't so quiet any more. It's still not a very bad neighborhood, but it's gradually getting worse. I've spent most of my life here (the only neighborhood I really lived in since I got to the states), and I see it happening. My neighbors have lived here all their lives (like 40+ yrs) and they say the same thing. I understand where you're coming from.

Darth Marsden
09-28-2005, 04:55 AM
No, they write it on phone booths. ;) Seriously, that's exactly what is says, along with the usual stuff - names, insults, etc. It's all suddenly appeared in the last week. I can't think why.

Yeah, sorry for going off on such a hate-rant. I get a little carried away sometimes. And it happened again last night - I almost wanted to get up and yell at them. Grr. I needs me sleep.

Machiavelli
09-28-2005, 08:11 AM
No, they write it on phone booths.
Ok, you got me with the typo :D ... It's fixed now.

It's just...people usually don't write whole rhyming senetnces on phone booths. Well, not around here anyway.

Darth Marsden
09-28-2005, 12:08 PM
I know, it surprised me as well. Usually all you get is 'Terrance is a dick' type stuff. For graffiti, that was pretty inventive.