PDA

View Full Version : Game Boy Micro (It's Out!)

Tygore
09-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Has anyone gotten a chance to play one yet? I'm considering getting one- my SP is wearing down a bit, and I'd like to possibly trade it in while it's still playable. I've heard excellent reviews of it, but I'd like to know if anyone here has gotten a chance to give one a test run yet.

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I haven't, but I'll grab one when they're out over here. For some reason, Nintendo hasn't realised that Europeans don't like having to wait ages for stuff to come over our way... Grr.

AtmaWeapon
09-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Not yet; I'm still in the "I don't have enough money" phase. As the semester wears on I will move to the "I don't have enough money but I don't care" phase and buy one.

Some Kinda Hate
09-19-2005, 04:51 PM
My god, where have I been!? I havent heard anything about the micro in ages and now it's out!

Pics, or it didnt happen!
...no really though do you have a link or something, I don't even know what it looks like. :(

[edit]
Nevermind, I found a pic. It looks pretty awesome.

Of course now I'll have to wait till it's cheap because I'm cheap. :rolleyes:

Tygore
09-19-2005, 10:50 PM
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/645/645774p1.html

IGN I thought did a good article, and have some nice comparison pics. Mostly I've heard positive things, I'll want to jump on this while I can still get good trade-in value on my SP.

Some Kinda Hate
09-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I feel like such a girl saying this but....it's so cute.

I like the way it's shaped, wide and short as opposed to tall and thin like my sp. My sp just doesnt feel right, it's like I have to scrunch my hands in an awkward way to play it. The gameboy Color is the only one that I can play comfortably, it's not too skinny and not too short.

But we'll see. I'll just have to test out one sometime soon.

Orion
09-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Wow, for something that's just a sleeker, rehashed version of something that's been out for almost 4 years, Nintendo didn't do a very good job of marketing it. Hardly anyone knows it even came out.

I still don't see how one could justify buying one of these, unless of course you don't own another GBA.

Tygore
09-20-2005, 12:50 AM
As I said earlier, my SP is wearing out. The L button works half the time, and the battery has run down. That, and its scratched and looks ugly. I'm going to give the Micro a test run at EB/Gamestop and see how I like it.

Gerudo
09-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Orion is right, you might as well just throw your money away on an SP. not only can you not lose it as easily, but its cheaper (80 bucks, right?)... i liked the SP, although i've taken to using my DS to play gba games -_-;

the Micro doesnt even seem as big as a small cell phone...

Brasel
09-20-2005, 06:16 AM
I don't get it...I liked my SP, even though it was too small for my hands. The normal Game Boy Advance would have been perfect if it would have had the LCD screen. My hands are too big to waste on one of these...I'll just stick to my DS, which is just about perfect for Game Boy Advance games. I just see no reason that anyone should throw away money on an over expensive new Game Boy Advance model when they could put a just a bit more money in and get a DS or spend a lot less money and get a much more comfortable SP. Whatever...

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-20-2005, 04:52 PM
The Micro is only good for anyone who doesn't have a game boy advance but wants one. Unfortunately, that's a very limited group of people, because the majority of portable game players are switch to DS or PSP.

Zero Wing
09-20-2005, 05:04 PM
bah, it's just a waste of money

KJAZZ
09-20-2005, 09:30 PM
I doubt I'll buy it. I don't really need it, I can play my GBA games on my regular GBA, GBPlayer, or DS.. But thats been my whole mentality about it since it was announced. :shrug:

On a not-related note, Tygore! You changed your avatar! :O Have you ever done that before? For as long as I can remember, you've had the Subrosian.

Tygore
09-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Read the title, KJAZZ. You aren't supposed to ask.

AtmaWeapon
09-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Gamestop did not have a display but as soon as I get my budget set up you can bet I'll find a way to cram this in.

Zelda_Warrior
09-20-2005, 10:33 PM
But you never said what to not ask about...

I think the Game Boy Micro is just to small, that and the fact that I have never heard of it before, so the advertising must've not been too good, because I usually know about these kinds of things when they come out.

w00t, 700 posts!

Orion
09-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Here's what baffles me. Nintendo just re-released the SP with a brighter, backlit screen. Now I fail to see why one would not simply for for the new SP. It's cheaper and has just as good a screen, that is also protected.

KJAZZ
09-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Read the title, KJAZZ. You aren't supposed to ask.
But, but.. but..but...

It's so Un-Tygore.

MottZilla
09-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Nintendo should have fixed the buttons while they were at it. Tilt them ala Y and B on SNES. And make the D-Pad and buttons a bit bigger.

AlexMax
09-22-2005, 05:44 AM
EDIT: Goddamnit Orion beat me to it.

I can't stand the small screen of the Micro, but the new SP's look neat.

Darth Marsden
09-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Here's what baffles me. Nintendo just re-released the SP with a brighter, backlit screen. Now I fail to see why one would not simply for for the new SP. It's cheaper and has just as good a screen, that is also protected.Personally, I don't like the shape of the SP. Too flddly and I've never liked flip-top stuff like that. The Micro more suited to me because I'm a tech junkie and I like me stuff small.

Tygore
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Time for the GBM review from Tygore. Yeah, I got one.

I LOVE it. It feels very nice in my hands. People who have large fingers and/or poor vision should probably stay back, or at least approach with caution. So far I've tested Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, and Sonic Advance, and they play fantastically. The screen is extremely sharp- I was VERY impressed with how clear it was. The speaker isn't as bad as I've heard(no pun intended), but the headphone jack will still be your friend. The shoulder buttons are very nice. The a and b buttons both fit nicely under my thumb. Tilt left for a, right for b, press for both. The Start and Select buttons would be inconvinient if they were used for actions in an action-based game, but that doesn't happen often at all. If you change the faceplates, be careful about getting stuff caught between the plate and the actual screen.

Overall, the GB Micro is an excellent little piece of hardware. It fits in your pocket better than any other GB incarnation. It's not for everybody, as some people will find it too quirky. Personally, I think it holds better than the SP, but it warrents a test run before a purchase. But it is DEFINATELY worth stopping by and checking out when you're near a demo station.

Archibaldo
09-27-2005, 02:44 PM
I was planning on getting one, but that was before I got my DS. Now I just play my GBA games on my DS. Besides, I haven't played my handhelds lately, I've mainly been playing PC games. Besides, I need to save my money for some of the pretty awesome DS titles coming out.

Masamune
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I don't understand why people want their electronics smaller. It's like the that new iPod thing. You could lose it down a sewer grate while you're busy dancing to your own beat on the street. Or some fat chick could steal it and shove it up her ass and make you get it. :shrug:

vegeta1215
09-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't understand why people want their electronics smaller. It's like the that new iPod thing. You could lose it down a sewer grate while you're busy dancing to your own beat on the street.

Even though the GBA SP is smaller than the original GBA and is protected by the clam shell design, it is still difficult for me to carry around with all the other things in my pockets (wallet & cell phone in right pocket, keys & glasses case in left pocket) So for people in the same situation as me, I could see why they would want it smaller.

Likewise for the iPod-nano, which is so small it's scary. It is so small that it fits in a watch pocket (you know, that tony pocket inside your right jean pocket)

MottZilla
09-28-2005, 02:21 AM
I keep an SD memory card in that watch pocket. ;) Other than how thin the iPod nano thing is, I don't know anymore about it's size. But the GB Micro I've seen the screen is the size of a GBA cartridge if not smaller somewhat.

jman2050
10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I want this thing. I know it's a waste of money and that a backlit SP will serve me just as well, but my god I WANT ONE.

Someone help me :(

DarkDragoonX
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
All I know for sure is that things like the GB Micro fall directly under the category of "things I would lose immediately."

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
^^^

g4conman
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
think of the possibilities, so small it could go anywhere and all the cool skins!... :rolleyes:

Grasshopper
10-04-2005, 10:36 PM
I finally got to play one. Its so sleek. The box is sleek looking too. Like an expensive watch or something. When its on, the Start and Select buttons light up. There is a red light behind them. Another thing I can add to my "If I had money to burn..." list.

Fortis Nova
10-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the game boy micro just a remake of the game boy advance? What could it do that the original cannot?

Grasshopper
10-06-2005, 03:38 PM
It can only play Gameboy Advance games. So its not backward compatible with previous Gameboy games.

Warlock
10-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I'll quote what I said in another forum:

If I didn't already have the Gameboy Advance, GBA SP AND the Nintendo DS that can PLAY GBA games I might be interested in this. As it stands right now, I own enough damn Gameboy Advances already.

vegeta1215
10-06-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm not interested in the GBA Micro, but the new GBA SP with the backlit (as opposed to side-lit) screen is very tempting. I realize that once I get a DS I will have a backlit screen to play GBA games on, but the DS does not play GB and GBC games :(

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html

Grasshopper
10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
A guy I work with has the graphite one. Its so nice to be able to see it better.

Daarkseid
10-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Anyone notice that the Graphite GPA SP is just a casing/button color flip of the Onyx GBA? Te graphite has black buttons while the onyx has grey buttons.

That's kind of neat, and sorta makes me want to buy both so I can take them apart and assemble an all Onyx GBA and an all Graphite GBA. Assuming the backlit display doesn't interfere with swapping these pieces around, I'd probably keep the GBA that got the backlit display and throw out the one with the old frontlit display. Like what happened with those ET cartridges, I'd probably mix the frontlit GBA into a batch of cement, then bury it in a desert. So nobody can get ahold of it.

DemonFireFox
10-09-2005, 02:01 PM
I'll get a job in a little over 1 year, so the prices will be down on the micro. This is going my way because my GBA is wearing out.