PDA

View Full Version : Working Out

Axel
09-18-2005, 08:52 PM
An interesting little discussion. Not only how much do you work out each week, but more importantly: what do you define as working out?
For example: I find my fencing class exhausting. I'm exercising muscles I've never seriously taxed before, fighting all my natural impulses, and aggravating every part of my body. But to the ROTC folks, who endure the twice a week torture of PT, my little fencing class would seem like nothing. So what's a work out to you?

For myself, there's two hours a week in fencing plus another hour lifting weights.

Beldaran
09-18-2005, 09:04 PM
I lift weights about 3 or 4 times a week. Nothing too heavy. Just enough to keep some good definition and not deteriorate at my desk. On different days I mix up bench press (three sets of 10 at 150lbs), lateral pulldown (4 sets of 10 at 120 lbs), curls (three sets of 10 at 30lbs per hand for 60lb total), various freeweights (35lb per hand for some, lighter for others), good old fashioned pushups, and jacknives (an abdominal excercise.) I also go for long bike rides in the Texas hill country. When I wear a small sized t-shirt, you can tell I go to the gym, but I still have a geek physique. I'm 5'9" and about 150lbs.

fatcatfan
09-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Sex is usually a good enough workout for me.

And I enjoy it rather a lot.

Machiavelli
09-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I work out only when inspired to do so. Which is not often. when I do though, it's little things like crunches and whatnot. I do, however, walk alot more during the school year. I don't have gym this year but I walk around in school. But thats not all,I also walk from my house to the bus stop and school to train station and things like that. And thats enough working out for me. I guess I'm a bit lazy.

Rainman
09-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I haven't had time/motivation to go to the gym regularly lately so I've been doing push-ups and abdominal exercises. I'm going to eventually try to get a regular workout schedule going. I stronger than most people, but I suppose I'm pretty out of shape. I need to start running and lifting regularly. I can stay pretty fit looking without much work at all, but I imagine I'd look much better if I took it seriously.

Tygore
09-18-2005, 11:29 PM
My dorm is next to a hill that I have to climb every day. That's about it.

Some Kinda Hate
09-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I do a lot of running and walking. I used to be a lot more athletic but I have knee problems now. I do 60 crunches every night before bed. I dance a lot (when no one's looking) and I still jump on the bed. Plus babysitting three kids under the age of six on a regular basis. That's about all the exercise I need.

And I enjoy it rather a lot.

I agree, but it's only a workout if you're on top :tongue:

Kyle
09-19-2005, 02:38 AM
no one likes a fatty. gosh there's nothing worse than a would-be-cute guy who is flubby and kind of unshaven with an inferiority complex covered by arrogance and a mustard stained t-shirt.

so yeah I jog about 3-4 times a week....play soccer and basketball for fun whenever I can and walk all around campus 5 days a week. I eat organic food and watch my portions...don't really do anything else, but it's working.

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 06:05 AM
I don't really work out, unless you count walking, in which case I go for a good long walk about once a week. Occasionally I'll go swimming too, but otherwise I don't do much. However, as you can see from my holiday photos (Check the Disneyland Paris thread for those), I'm just naturally skinny, so it's not a big deal for me. Just don't ask me to run anywhere!

Brasel
09-19-2005, 08:06 AM
But to the ROTC folks, who endure the twice a week torture of PT, my little fencing class would seem like nothing. So what's a work out to you?OH GOD! NOTHING WORSE THAN LITTLE OFFICER WANNABES DOING PT!!!!

Officers don't do shit for PT, much less their civilian cadet counterparts.

PT every morning for me in the states, rain or shine and bright and early at 0600. Every other day is a run day. We were running 4 to 5 miles every run day when we were back in the rear. All the rest were muscle failure days. Push-ups, sit-ups, and every other excercise in the army book. Nothing better than a 5 mile run in the pouring rain in a Georgia storm.

Here in Iraq? I mostly lift weights and run about 2 to 3 miles, and thats about 4 to 5 times a week...unless I'm on the radio retrans, like right now, and I really can't fit any real working out into my schedule, so I just do pushups and situps on a daily basis.

DarkPanther
09-19-2005, 08:47 AM
I start out by eating four eggs, two bananas, and a piece of shit for breakfast.

Then I run about three miles to the nearest farm, chase down a cow and kill it with my bare hands. I gut it on the spot and jog the three miles back wearing its semi-empty carcass which I would guess weighs in somewhere between 600 - 800 pounds.

Upon returning home I dig a hole big enough to put the cow shell in and that usually takes about 45 minutes total, burying and all. I'm not sure how long it takes to plant a cow, but I haven't had any spring up yet.

Other than that, I dunno, I guess that's about it besides regular push-ups, sit-ups, and UFC title fights.

Brasel
09-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Fucking hilarious man. You made me laugh out loud in the internet cafe and everyone looked at me all funny like.

ShadowTiger
09-19-2005, 09:28 AM

And I enjoy it rather a lot.Best reply in this thread. ;) :thumbsup:

I run up and down stairs at every opportunity, but that's small potatoes, now isn't it. I lift some measly 20 pound weights every morning, at least ten reps per position and direction of the arms, and do the same with my legs. I do heel-lifts whenever I'm forced to wait for something, like a bus, or standing in line for books.

SixTen
09-19-2005, 10:01 AM
I do 100 pushups and 100 situps every night. I'm somewhere around 240-245, it fluctuates a lot. I'm trying to lose weight but I havent seen much improvement, other than the fact my arms are stonger.

mikeron
09-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I am dismayed by the lack of posterior chain development. UNSEXY.

Axel
09-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Officers don't do shit for PT, much less their civilian cadet counterparts.

PT every morning for me in the states, rain or shine and bright and early at 0600. Every other day is a run day. We were running 4 to 5 miles every run day when we were back in the rear. All the rest were muscle failure days. Push-ups, sit-ups, and every other excercise in the army book. Nothing better than a 5 mile run in the pouring rain in a Georgia storm.

Here in Iraq? I mostly lift weights and run about 2 to 3 miles, and thats about 4 to 5 times a week...unless I'm on the radio retrans, like right now, and I really can't fit any real working out into my schedule, so I just do pushups and situps on a daily basis.
See what I mean about relative deffinitions of work out?

Monica
09-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I have to go to physical therapy because if I don't my tendons get extremely tight, plus I seriously lose all the streingth in my arms. I started it two years ago because I have to keep my tendons stretched out or I walk on my toes. I couldn't lift a gallon of milk or any of those heavy juices, that's how weak my arms were...>_< I can now though, I've been able to for 4 weeks now lol.

Anyway my excersizes are:
Physical

First I used the bike that works your arms and legs for 10 mins

With ankle weights (currently 2 pound) Leg lifts, sitting kicks, and lifts, lifts over this roll thing, squeezing a ball with my legs.

Sitting up against the wall, legs streight out, I hold a sheet and use it to stretch my leg tendons, 5mis per leg. I also use a theraband to move my feet in all directions

The physical therapist stretches my legs a lot.

Occupational (arms and wrists)

I lift hand weights (started out with excruciatingly hard 1-pounds but now doing 3-pounds, yay. ^_^) 4 ways.

Squeeze clay and a little hand gripper 60 times in each hand, and also twist this black bar that I just had a weight added to, and also 10 minutes on the pullies, then a neck and upper back masage and laying on an ice pack.

I go 3 days a week. :)

Daarkseid
09-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I start out by eating four eggs, two bananas, and a piece of shit for breakfast.

That made me want to reply with Adam Sandler's line in Happy Gilmore

"You eat shit for breakfast!?"

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 01:43 PM

"You eat shit for breakfast!?"I love that film! "Go to your happy place..."

DarkPanther
09-19-2005, 02:49 PM

"You eat shit for breakfast!?"
That's actually what sort of inspired the whole thing.

Zero Wing
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
teh only workout I get is moving from class to class on teh campus

Kyle
09-19-2005, 05:58 PM

So great. So dry. lmao

*b*
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't really "work out", per se, but I do a lot of chores around the house, most of which is heavy lifting. I do go on walks during the summer, which are about six miles, but it's too damn cold during the winter to do pretty much anything outdoors. I'll probably do situps or pushups during the winter. I'm really trying to get in shape this year (and it's actually working, too)

also, I may be getting a job at Target Distribution sometime soon, which means LOTS of moving stuff around, and that should really help

Kryten
09-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I start out by eating four eggs, two bananas, and a piece of shit for breakfast...

You forgot to mention that you do all of this while operating in totally-invisible-stealth-ninja mode. Of course, you use it so often it's understandable for you to forget.
And FYI, the corpse of a single Cow King should sprout hundreds of new cows overnight, so you're probably not doing something right. Try burying a boy's leg and a scroll with the corpse and see if that doesn't do the trick. Be aware however, that you can only do this once in your lifetime.

[edit]
I think mikeron needs to seek some help if he finds posterior chains sexy.

MANDRAG GANON
09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
My work out used to be DDR, I don't play much any more though.
Now my work out consists of walking from and to my car and to and from my classes :o.
I've been thinking of starting to go to the Gym sometime though and start working out. Somehow I still seem to look fairly in shape even though I do little to nothing :o. My friend works out all the time and I look like I work out more than he does O.o

Verman
09-19-2005, 09:43 PM
5 times a week I go...

I do:

Heavy Chest/Shoulders/Tris: Monday
Heavy Back/Bi: Tuesday
Legs: Wensday
Light Chest/Shoulders/Tris: Thursday
Light Back/Bi: Friday

20-30 minutes of cardio a day depending on what i feel like haha! I just started the cardio about 2 months ago...and its going good ;)

If anyone needs help with a workout or any questions just pm and i'll give my best answer ;) haha! Its pretty much my hobby in life so I do it and read on it all the time.

No use telling you any numbers like beldaran did cause you wouldnt believe me hahah and its the internet so how could i prove it hahahah

Beldaran
09-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Well, I can't be accused of bragging. I mean, those numbers I gave are pretty light, from what I understand. Especially considering sometimes I wuss out and don't do as man reps as I claim. But whatever.

Master Ghaleon
09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
I play football and walk around. Thats my work out

carrot red
09-20-2005, 12:47 PM
I follow Beldaran's coaching, do a 20-minute workout in the morning, walk a lot in the park and play soccer whenever I can (not very frequently of late.)

Verman
09-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Well, I can't be accused of bragging. I mean, those numbers I gave are pretty light, from what I understand. Especially considering sometimes I wuss out and don't do as man reps as I claim. But whatever.

Oh i didnt mean to sound like i was accusing you of anything :) I apologize if you took it that way... In fact its actully good to put your numbers down, like your weight, reps and the like. You actully do pretty good *shrug* most people can't bench even close to their body weight.

I was just insuating that if I wrote numbers down people would say I lie...Which I guess is more or less me bragging anyway... *Sigh* ah wells, I'll put my numbers down anyhow, i just wieghed myself yesterday (I flucuate alot)...

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 274 ( I was 300 then i lost about 35 lbs, now I started bulking a bit again)
Waist: 36 (one hand down the front, har har)
Bench: 505 x 1
Deadlift (bending over grabbing the weight then standing up): 635 x 1
Squat (put weight on your back then squat then stand up): 495 x 1

Not anywhere near powerlifter status... but meh...

Beldaran
09-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Squat (put weight on your back then squat then stand up): 495 x 1

:odd:

I quit. God damn that's a lot of weight.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-20-2005, 10:39 PM
5'9'' 125 pounds. I'm a complete twig.

And I do like PE in school and play Baseball and Volleyball a lot in the spring and summer, that's kinda it.

Great Warrior
09-21-2005, 03:19 AM

you do not need to lift that much weight. you have to keep steady at what you are doing and maintain a sustained rythm.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, my school is a workout in and of itself. Seriously, the entire place is one six story hill.

Verman
09-21-2005, 07:38 PM

No no don't give up...your goals are probably different then mine :D Like if we were to go and run up and down 5 flights of stairs I would probably have a mild heart attack while you were doing it backwards haha! ;o) its all for relaxation and joy :D Like your music, that sounds like your stress buster eh?

ShadowTiger
09-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Squat (put weight on your back then squat then stand up): 495 x 1... ... Verman. HOLY ... FREAKING ... F*CK! ... ... That's a lot of weight. @_@'

I use my legs a lot more than my arms, so I can push more with them. Back in High School I could do like, six reps of 400 pounds with both legs, 2 of 250 with either individually. I haven't checked what I can do now. That's after a year and a half of heavy duty walking and stairjumping. I know it's not really an official workout or exercise or anything, but I've begun to jump stairs every chance I get. I'm up to a "casual" two up, and a "majority" three up, with a casual 2.5 stairs a second down, and a majority "two at a time" for two every one second.

gdorf
09-22-2005, 06:31 AM
I run 3-4 miles almost every day. I have been trying to loose just a few pounds, but its taking FOREVER. I've gone from 200lbs -> 185 in a few months, and I hope to eventually reach 170-175. It feels like I am putting more energy into it then what I am getting out. Maybe I need to focus more on my diet. :shrug:

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Stairs = <3. My school is like stairmaster training ground.

Daarkseid
09-22-2005, 06:14 PM
My exercise usually involves walking several blocks from home to the 7-11 at the edge of downtown, at 3 am in the morning, to get some energy drinks. Which will later be consumed in the relaxation of my own room, in front of a TV and a computer screen, where only my arms will actually be utilized.

mikeron
09-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Deadlift: 635 x 1
Squat: 495 x 1What squat stance do you use? Most people with good bench and squat complain about deadlifts, as in "my arms aren't long enough." Or are you just "ass in the grass" on the squats? :D

Lilith
09-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Bro is right, the school is insane...built on a hill, six stories, and the gym is many stories underground. It is a huge workout to climb them all everyday with a big weight on your back, and possibly carrying books as well.

I'm not that in-shape right now, just a lot of time on my feet at work. Hopefully I'll be swimming soon, which is my best/favorite sport but I need to build up to where I was a few years ago...

Personally I don't see the point in sculpting the fuck out of your body for no apparent reason. If you're going to be that good with it, you might as well be a police officer or a vigilante...

Verman
09-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Ass to the grass... lots of those little saying around haha! Like "go hard or go home", "shutup and train", "balls to the walls" (sounds highly homosexual) and lastly "die young, die strong, Dianabol"

But yeah..low as possible on squats so that you think your gonna blow out your knees ;) Deadlifts are the best! my favorite eva! Nothing hurts like them...theres times when I cant get out of my car the next day because my back is so sore... (course my car is low to the ground).

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Sounds like teh fun. Pardon me as I go move my back.