PDA

View Full Version : How often do you buy games?

Xyvol
09-17-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of how often a gamer buys games, so I decided this would be a good place to ask. So how often do you buy games? Twice a month? Once a month? Only a few times a year? Or are you like me and only buy the ones you really want? This will help me with a project in my marketing classs. Thanks.

goKi
09-17-2005, 11:10 PM
When there's a game worth buying. So for quite a while, i haven't bought anything.

Daarkseid
09-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Eh, I wounldn't say once a month, because there are months in which I buy none. However, I imagine if I were to avarage the number of games purchased over the year, it could possibly even come out to 1.5 a month. Some months I've purchased up to 3 games.

AtmaWeapon
09-18-2005, 01:04 AM
My game purchases depend on several factors but two dominate:
1. Field of games available
2. Disposable income.

Really good games or games I have anticipated take priority over other purchases. If I have a lot of money available, I branch out and try games I normally wouldn't consider.

When I had my co-op job I was pretty much buying at least 2 games a month. Now that I don't have more money than I know what to do with, it's more like one game a month or every two months. My next planned purchase was to be Twilight Princess but that has been moved so I am not certain what the next game I will buy will be.

vegeta1215
09-18-2005, 01:21 AM
I don't buy games at full price unless its a game I really want and know I'll like. The last few games I've gotten that fall into that category have been Resident Evil 4, Zelda: The Minish Cap, Metroid Prime 2, and Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. Tales of Symphonia is the only other full-priced game I've bought within the last year (I got it shortly after it came out). I wasn't sure I'd like it, so I rented it first, and then got hooked on it.

Lately though, I've been on a game buying spree, trying to find rare gems and games I missed out on. I've gotten so many of them for under $20 too, and they're all fantastic. This is something I just couldn't do with the N64 and SNES cause the medium (carts) kept the prices high.

The upcoming Nintendo DS lineup is posing a problem though - there are several games coming out that I want to play, but I know I can't afford them all, and I don't have a DS yet.

Darth Marsden
09-18-2005, 03:43 AM
I practically never buy games at full price (except when I KNOW it's going to be good - Zelda, Mario, etc), which means I tend to buy games that are reduced. This means that I don't have a set 'I will buy two games a month' theory, because I just buy whatever takes me at the time.

I've only bought one game this month, for example (Wrestlemania XIX for GC), but last month I went on an Amazon.Com Pre-Owned spending spree and bought about 15 games (some good, some not, but hey - they were cheap). All depends on how much money I have, how good the game is and how much it costs.

Archibaldo
09-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I used to only get games arounf my birthday and christmas. But now that I have a job and crap load of money, I've been buying games alot recently.

Rainman
09-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I only buy one or two new games a year. Every once in a while I'll buy an old one too.

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Every once in a while for me, maybe four games a year. The only series that I follow are the NFL Street Series, NCAA Football series, and the Ratchet and Clank Series.

Masamune
09-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I only get an xbox or gamecube game if it's something special (like RE4 or Halo). Other than that, I download nearly all the ps2 games I have. The method is, go on ebgames and see what's popular, then off to the torrents. It works. ;p

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 06:20 AM
I only get an xbox or gamecube game if it's something special (like RE4 or Halo). Other than that, I download nearly all the ps2 games I have. The method is, go on ebgames and see what's popular, then off to the torrents. It works. ;pWell, since we're delving into the realms of the not-so-legal, I download games that interest me when they first come out, then buy them when they come down in price. I've done it with some big-name games, like (whisper it) Beyond Good & Evil and with some yet-to-be-released-over-here games, like the fantastical Psychonauts. I also download GBA Roms, but they never seem to stay on my hard drive long.

Brasel
09-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I didn't know there was a PS2 emulator yet...learn something new...

I buy stuff usually only when it looks really good or its a must have (Zelda, Final Fantasy, blah blah blah). Since I've been in Iraq, however, I kinda just buy something when I'm bored of what I have and hope its good. Last game I bought sucked, and I don't even remember the name. I just remember that it was some alchemist game and every time you searched a barrel, the main character yelled "BARREL!!". Weird shit.

ShadowTiger
09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I buy games at least four times a year. More than likely not fewer than four, but ... eh. I have shelves and shelves of game boxes in my room; to deny them company would be rude of me. >:-Þ XD Heh.

For a long time, we didn't have any gaming stores in our vicinity. Now, we have, like, ten. It's great. I love it. :p

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 10:16 AM
I didn't know there was a PS2 emulator yet...learn something new...There isn't... yet. What Masa means is he downloads them, burns them to a DVD and then plays those discs on a modded PS2. Well worn practice. The PS2 doesn't have any decent emulators yet, which is a shame since it would save me on splashing out on one, but hey, patience is a virtue.

For a long time, we didn't have any gaming stores in our vicinity. Now, we have, like, ten. It's great. I love it. :pLucky git. I haven't got a games store anywhere near me. The best I've got is a Blockbusters, and it's a half-hour walk to get there. Bleh.

Zero Wing
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
eh, I buy a few each year, other than that I emulate (which is when I download one a week)