PDA

View Full Version : WAKE UP PEOPLE! (Revolution controller unveiled)

vegeta1215
09-15-2005, 11:41 PM
(I had to post about this because GGD has been so quiet lately)

Go to http://cube.ign.com (or any other site) and check it out.

It's definitely not what I expected. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect. The possibilities sound cool, but I can't imagine how it would feel using the controller. I'll probably have to wait until I get a chance to use it to fully get it.

Orion
09-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Its actually kinda what I expected. I think it's kinda neat, but it will take some getting used to. I think it's success will largely depend on how well consumers embrace it.

Beldaran
09-16-2005, 12:06 AM
So. Awesome.

I have no interest in Xbox 360 or PS3. I am still reserving judgement on the Revolution, but from what I can see, it's going to be interesting and stimulating. Finally a system that doesn't cater to Last Years AAA Title 3 and GraphicFest 4, featuring rehashed gameplay with a new shadow algorithm.

Playing a real-time strategy game like Starcraft would be extremely fluid and intuitive. Mario Party, we're sure you can guess, will finally be a completely new experience.

True, and sounds fun.

What of Zelda or Mario? No word yet, but imagine swinging your sword in Zelda instead of pressing buttons. Or, in Mario, imagine having to grab blocks and build platforms

Sounds awesome!

Also, since the controller flips on its side to work very much like a NES pad, it would be interesting to mix up gameplay and throw in an old-school challenge

AWESOME!!!!!!

We have to wonder how it might be holding your arm in the air for an hour or more, and if that will cause any frustration.

I also see this as a concern.

However, overall I think this is a great move. Nintendo figures that if you want 1999's games with better graphics then fine, get a PS3. But if you want to see a company pushing the means of enjoying interactive entertainment, then get a Revolution.

I think I will.

Orion
09-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Meh, people can complain all they want about their arms getting tired. Maybe it'll get their asses off the couch and they won't spend too much time playing games like they do now. Besides, that's what arm rests are for :P

I personally can't wait to go swinging my sword, shooting my gun, and flying my ships. And for someone who is usually pretty skeptical of Nintendo, that is saying a lot.

Beldaran
09-16-2005, 12:12 AM
I think it's success will largely depend on how well consumers embrace it.

Wow way to go out on a limb! :D

AtmaWeapon
09-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Initially I was kind of shocked and didn't think it was all that great but then I got to thinking about some of Nintendo's recent input explorations.

First came the DK bongos. For Donkey Konga they made sense but no one really knew if controlling an action game (DK Jungle Beat) was going to be good. The game is great and I'm not really sure if it could be played with anything but the bongos.

Next, take the Nintendo DS. For a long time even I felt like dual screens and a touch screen were unnecessary gimmicks. In a lot of the first-gen games for the DS this was true. However, developers are starting to get more accustomed to the dual screens and the touch screen and the current lineup of games is pretty nice. I don't think Meteos would be possible without a touch screen, and I'm very interested in the Viewtiful Joe on DS.

So, lately I'm used to Nintendo releasing something that is way out in left field. I trust that this will turn out as good as they claim it will because delivering on their promises is something they've been good at recently.

I'm curious how sensitive the device will be though. I tend to shake my hands a good bit so I hope you can adjust the thing to make it a little less sensitive.

On an unrelated note, what is it with Nintendo and rectangles? They really don't like to make curved things and I've noticed they are heading quickly back to the rectangle age after a brief stint in curvy controllers.

Something I found most promising at Nintendo.com's article was this:
Beyond its other innovations, the new controller gives third parties flexibility, allowing them the option to use as many or as few of the controller features as they desire.This will allow developers to gradually move in to it.

I think an entirely different style of game is upon us and I think it will be good. Maybe they'll make a Power Glove 2 :)

Cloral
09-16-2005, 12:57 AM
I was reading the article about the demos, and the one about the fishing demo struck me. Just think of how much more fun a fishing game would be where, instead of using a meter to cast, you actually pull the controller back over your shoulder then flick it forward to cast the line like you really would. Then I was thinking, what about our baseball game? Imagine facing off against a big league pitcher, using the controller like a bat!

Beldaran
09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Imagine facing off against a big league pitcher, using the controller like a bat!

That would be totally sweet.

I honestly think this is cool, and I'm as far from a Nintendo fanboy as it gets. Sure, the Revolution won't be the way to go if you want to play the exact same types of games that will be on the PS3 or the Xbox 360, but it will be something new and interesting which is what the gaming community has been screaming about for a few years now.

idontknow
09-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Ideas:

1) A fighting game like Soul Caliber II: Use the analog stick plug in to control movement & swing the controller itself to swing your sword!

2) Baseball: Get in your best batter's stance and swing the entire controller!

3) Zelda: Swing controller to swing the bat, move with the analog stick plug-in. Use items with the buttons.

4) Star Fox: Moving the controller forward or back increases or decreases speed. Spin the controller fast for a barrel roll, tilt it to tilt the arwing, etc. Buttons used for lazers & bombs.

5) Mario Party: Virtually endless possibilities! Make characters run, jump, spin, crawl, etc. Perhaps a better version of the 'Battle of the Bands' sorta game where you use the controller to conduct the game.

6) Wind Waker: Since backwards compatibility is allowed, perhaps when you play the Wind Waker, the controller becomes the baton for which to conduct songs!

7) Shoot 'em Up Games: Perhaps a new "Duck Hunt" sorta game? You move the controller to target the ducks & click the triggers to shoot! Also used for first person shooter to move around, to aim, & to shoot.

THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

Grasshopper
09-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Number 1. would actually be quite difficult. Screenshots show the analog stick plugged into the controller, so you would in turn be having to swing both at the same time...while still being able to move with the control stick.

And since when did Link have a bat? ;)

Well, I guess we all expected something different, but I'm pretty shocked by it. The look of this controller is defintely not what I was expecting. I think its neat that it's pretty much every-which-way-sensitive, but I can't say this thing is awesome unless I try. I'm all for a different experience, but... I'm speechless.

Nintendo, this better be good.

Saffith
09-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Also interesting to note that the basic controller is one-handed, so a single person could use two at once. Can't think of many uses for that offhand, though a Katamari game could be pretty interesting.

If it's to be swung around vigorously like a sword or a bat, I wonder how they'll deal with the possibility that you'll lose your grip and smash the controller into the wall or, worse, the TV. Maybe it'll have a wristband, or some such...

vegeta1215
09-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Sure, the Revolution won't be the way to go if you want to play the exact same types of games that will be on the PS3 or the Xbox 360...

No one ever said that you couldn't also use Gamecube controllers for Revolution games. Think about that.

Beldaran
09-16-2005, 01:31 AM
No one ever said that you couldn't also use Gamecube controllers for Revolution games. Think about that.

I don't think the revolution will have the necessary power to run the graphics extravaganzas planned for the 360 and PS3. Also, the architectures are so vastly different that cross platform games will become more and more rare, as porting to a system becomes a great deal more expensive.

vegeta1215
09-16-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't think the revolution will have the necessary power to run the graphics extravaganzas planned for the 360 and PS3. Also, the architectures are so vastly different that cross platform games will become more and more rare, as porting to a system becomes a great deal more expensive.

Many of the games that come out on the Gamecube and X-Box today are downgraded in terms of graphics when they appear on the PS2, so there's no reason that couldn't happen for the Revolution.

That's not my point though. My point is if developers need to, they may be able to use the Gamecube controller with their games on the Revolution - so they won't have to spend time figuring out how to make their X-Box 360 or PS3 game playable on the Revoltion with the "crazy" new controller.

EDIT: There's a video on IGN showing people "playing" games on the Revolution from the TV' point of view - you don't see any games, but you get to see how people may move around and use the controller. Looks cool.

KJAZZ
09-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Heh, very clever. Technically, now couldn't they make an add-on to let you play DS games on the big screen, with the controller acting as a big stylus? o.O

It's not what I expected, but that's good, I suppose..lol

Darth Marsden
09-16-2005, 05:09 AM
Gah. I go on holiday for 4 days, and see what happens? I need to go away more often :p

This is really, REALLY weird. It looks cool, but until I can actually see someone playing a game with this, I'm going to reserve full judgement. Even so - mo tion sensors! WOO!

bigjoe
09-16-2005, 05:17 AM
At first I thought this was an April Fools joke, but then I realized that it was September. That controller is bizarre. I cant pass complete judgement, of course, until I try it. But it will probably be like Virtual Boy... something new gone terribly wrong... (Or perhaps done too early...)

At this point, Nintendo needs least to focus on innovation, especially in this department.

At least they've topped Sony in terms of outlandish controllers.

Who knows, maybe it will turn out good. I'm in as good a position to judge as any of you.

AlexMax
09-16-2005, 06:02 AM
I went from a "Goddamnit Nintendo" to a "This is going to be awesome" in the span of 15 minutes.

Warlock
09-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Yeah it looks kind of stupid if you just look at the thing but if you actually read about it, it sounds pretty cool.

Of course there are already fanboys cheering about how "Nintendo is now doomed" -_- Of course no one ever remembers the freaking system has support for the GC controller as well... *sigh*

AlexMax
09-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Watch this:

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

fatcatfan
09-16-2005, 09:17 AM
There they go again - innovating. This is exactly the sort of thing I've come to expect from Nintendo. Maybe they should pair with the Google folks to form the greatest conglomerate of genius in the world.

Though I do have to say that actually "swinging" your "sword" for Zelda sounds horrible. Think of how rapidly you needed to stab multiple times in some of the Zelda games. I can't imagine that you get the same effect by swinging instead of pushing a button. More realistic I guess, but also frustrating I imagine.

Darth Marsden
09-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Watch this:

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.htmlAgain, looks nice, but I'll wait until I can actually see what happens on screen when you do things like that until I really know what to think. Still, if half of what that video promises is true... wee!

ShadowTiger
09-16-2005, 10:11 AM
To say "It looks like a remote control" would be halfway accurate. o_o' You can tell it'll pretty much redefine the way people game. I mean, look at the past controllers of the world. You've got joysticks, you've got these weird analog pads, you've got ... Controllers that look like Banshee fighters from Wing Commander 4, ... ... God ... ... So many varieties.

But none of them really looked like a Remote control. O_o' None like this, anyway. O_o' Pretty scary when you think about it, how it can really change the entire gaming industry. People will follow in its footsteps, or attempt to make major changes of their own to keep up with the innovation this presents to the gaming market ... Oh boy.

Axel
09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Also interesting to note that the basic controller is one-handed, so a single person could use two at once. Can't think of many uses for that offhand, though a Katamari game could be pretty interesting.
There was this arcade boxing game that had two "glove" controlers. You moved the gloves and your boxer's fists would repeat your movements. This controler would be perfect for a port of that.

We're all also forgetting the as yet unspecified add-on capability. It may well be that one or more of the add-ons will be geared towards allowing for a more conventional controller. Or could even include adapters to allow controllers from other systems.

Warlock
09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Saw someone post this:
http://gamecubeguy.com:8080/mailbag/revcon2.jpg

LOL.. haha

MANDRAG GANON
09-16-2005, 12:16 PM
lol nice image XD
I dunno this controller seems like it's going to be wierd... although maybe not so weird since I sit all day with a tv controller in my hand anyways. It's sleek though, dam that red one there looks spot on. interesting how it doesn't have a joystick though.
As bizzare as this is, I think using this looks more comfortable than the boomerang thing for Xbox or PS3 or waht ever it was for... that thing was god awful.

Beldaran
09-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I think using this looks more comfortable than the boomerang thing for Xbox or PS3 or waht ever it was for... that thing was god awful.

You're referring to the PS3 controller, which does resemble a silver boomerang.

I was thinking about it, and the bottom line is this:

Everyone basically knows what to expect from Xbox 360 and PS3: More of the same but slightly nicer looking and much, much more expensive.

No one knows what playing the Revolution will be like. People will be talking about it, rumors will be flying, and a buzz will build. Even if this thing sucks, Nintendo has gotten themselves in a great position form a marketing standpoint. They are the only players in this field that have a sense of mystery about them, and that is invaluable.

Dart Zaidyer
09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Nintendo really seems to be the only company that's actually doing something different. Quite refreshing considering that the other companies are concentrating on driving the industry into the ground with the same old format, except with more bells and whistles. And higher prices.

Tygore
09-16-2005, 02:09 PM
That Nintendo would do something completely original is no surprise. Remember people, Nintendo gave us the D-Pad, the Analog Control Stick, the multi-tap and four controller ports, rumble, handheld gaming, and probably some other stuff I forgot to mention. Something tells me that Microsoft and Sony (in that order) will start to pick up on something like this as well.

Orion
09-16-2005, 02:14 PM
It was said that there will be an attachment with a slot for the freehand-style controller that will have more buttons, allowing for ports of games for other platforms. Sounds interesting, but kinda clunky.

As for the people preaching he downfall of Nintendo, they really need to get an imagination.

Rainman
09-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Meh, seems rather interesting. I'm not buying any of the consoles so I don't care.

No one knows what playing the Revolution will be like. People will be talking about it, rumors will be flying, and a buzz will build. Even if this thing sucks, Nintendo has gotten themselves in a great position form a marketing standpoint. They are the only players in this field that have a sense of mystery about them, and that is invaluable.

That would happen if anyone other than Nintendo fanboys and hardcore gamers are paying attention. The gamecube was hardly very popular among most people I've known and Nintendo has likely dropped off the radar for many people. Last year their were several gamers on my floor, but everyone of them played the X-box or maybe the PS2. When Halo 2 was released they lined up to get it. It's likely that people like this aren't going to pay attention at all to Nintendo and they make up a sizeable portion of the gaming population.

Yoshiman
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
When I first saw the picture of the controller, I thought "... Ooh boy, that's not gonna work" but after I watched the video and read the articles, it seems a bit more possible to use. Playing a Resident Evil that uses 4's game engine on that would work very well, I think. Hold down a Z button and aim with the 'remote.'

However, a few genres of games I'm worried about. Zelda would seem awkward trying to swing the controller around, since it's more of an adventure game than the Star Wars arcade machine (it has a fight with Vader in it, and you move the joystick around to defend and strike). EDIT: Looks like my question is answered. (http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html)

I just hope that Nintendo doesn't lose a lot of 3rd party support due to the major difference in control setups. I think it's great that Nintendo did something different than Sony and Microsoft, though.

Although, there's one thing. Controller interferance. If someone's on the phone downstairs while I'm playing my GCN with a Wavebird controller, sometimes the controller will stop responding. I hope that it can be worked out.:shrug:

There was this arcade boxing game that had two "glove" controlers. You moved the gloves and your boxer's fists would repeat your movements. This controler would be perfect for a port of that.
There was also a shooter game where you could take cover by ducking or stepping to the sides. There was a yellow pad beneath the system that followed your movements. However, there could only be one person on it at once, or else the game would pause and tell you to take off hats or check if someone in too close.

<_<

*goes to see what Xbox and PS fanboys say*

Grasshopper
09-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm all for new experiences, it just so drastic. I like Gamespot's article more than IGN. Gamespot said what it looked like, and a little about the functions. Although it didn't go in to great detail, it didn't go drooling all over the article. IGN seems too hyper in that article. ;)

What if this, what if that...ooh ooh ooh. Slow down a bit. :laughing:

About the PS3 controller, its not final apparently.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/16/news_6133405.html

vegeta1215
09-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm sure other sites have it too, but you can download Iwata's entire keynote from IGN http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651383/vids_1.html (it's big though, like 150 MB) It's a good watch.

Tygore
09-16-2005, 05:01 PM
I just hope that Nintendo doesn't lose a lot of 3rd party support due to the major difference in control setups. I think it's great that Nintendo did something different than Sony and Microsoft, though.

The thing is, from what I got anyway, is it's possible to have the controller in a normal set-up, allowing third-party developers to use as few or as many of the unique aspects of the controller as possible, not to mention the Revolution also has the option to use the Gamecube controller instead. Nintendo did a very good job of not alienating third party developers this go around.

idontknow
09-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the PS3 or Xbox360 Controllers? (for comparison sake)

Axel
09-16-2005, 05:22 PM
That would happen if anyone other than Nintendo fanboys and hardcore gamers are paying attention. The gamecube was hardly very popular among most people I've known and Nintendo has likely dropped off the radar for many people. Last year their were several gamers on my floor, but everyone of them played the X-box or maybe the PS2. When Halo 2 was released they lined up to get it. It's likely that people like this aren't going to pay attention at all to Nintendo and they make up a sizeable portion of the gaming population.
You'd think that Zelda would be more than enough to compensate for that. Twilight Princess should have brought Nintendo back into range.

Darth Marsden
09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the PS3 or Xbox360 Controllers? (for comparison sake)Sure.

http://media.ign.com/thumb/124/1248755/revolution-controller-at-a-glance-20050915061313807_thumb.jpghttp://media.ign.com/thumb/112/1121360/e3-2005-playstation-3-the-controller-20050516055049589_thumb.jpghttp://media.ign.com/thumb/123/1239112/microsoft-confirms-360-in-november-20050906030910695_thumb.jpg

From left to right: the Nintendo Revolution, the Sony Playstation 3 and the Microsoft 360 controllers.

Radium
09-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Lol omg nice pic with the remote. This controller though in my opinion is going to be so damn fun. Watch the teaser video for a small sample of what can be done with it! :D

Axel
09-16-2005, 09:35 PM
PS3 one looks pretty uncomfortable. But I've got tiny little hands, people like my friend with the gorilla hands should feel fine with it.

EDIT: just noticed potential avatar joke.

Warlock
09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412.jpg

This is a shell they are going to release (with the system I hope) that will work for more traditional games (and ports). Plus, it can still take advantage of the Rev. controller's movement features.

Edit: I guess that's just a mockup. But that's probably pretty close.

Mods_Suck
09-17-2005, 09:26 AM
On the Nintendo Revolution General board on Gamefaqs.com, there 2111 (not kidding!!!) about the revolution's controller. Because I do not have an account there, I am going to answer all of my replies in this post.

It has no buttons!

It has 2 analog sticks (the stick and the movement) 10 buttons (Whatever the triggers on the analog stick are, A,B,a,b,<,>,^,v)

Name one way we could play all of the game genres.

Fighting: See platformers

Sports: See platformers

Platformers: Point to move in a direction and use buttons

Arcade: See all others

Side shooter: See FPS

FPS: Point to shoot

Racing: Tilt it to the left and right to steer.

What about zelda!

When you press the button to use the sword, you can quickly "draw" using the pointer. Say, when you are using arrows, you point and link shoots it in that direction, ect.

XBox 360 is teh R0X0R5!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go away.

Dechipher
09-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Yes. You could use the standard controller addon, much like the picture two posts above me to fight with link, and then the pointer to aim stuff, like boomerangs and hookshots and bombs. People forget that there are two buttons on it, thus allowing you some semblance of action. If we could play Mario and Zelda on NES, why could we not on here?

KingArthur
09-17-2005, 10:51 AM
what would be cool witgh this.. would be a new Bushido Blade game, imagind playing PoV mode online using that thing, the controller having absolute control over the sword.
There is an arcade game similar to this actually, called Mazan: Flash Of The Blade, you can see it here, http://www.bmigaming.com/games-videositdown-hm.htm Its like one of the on rail shooter games, but instead of using a gun you actual hold a motion sensitive sword hilt that controls your on screen sword to smack enemy ninjas :P

Mods_Suck
09-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually, there are alot more than 2 buttons, if you paid attention to my previous post. Because you can use the pointer or the analog stick to move, the D-pad gives you 4 more buttons to use.

Dechipher
09-17-2005, 12:14 PM
It wouldn't be very practical to move in a Zelda game, using the pointer, now would it? Also, the analog stick isn't neccesarily packaged with the controller. I was referring to action buttons, as you would have been able to infer had you read my post carefully enough. While there are a lot more than two buttons, there are, in fact, only two action buttons, as well as what I suppose could be considered a third action button (the article implied this to be the main button, due to it's proximity to the D-pad). Theoretically one could use the Dpad as action buttons, but as you are probably aware, I was referring to the use of the controller as one would use a NES controller, for moving Mario around and jumping, assuming that they released a platformer again.

In short, don't be so self-righteous. We're having a friendly discussion.

vegeta1215
09-17-2005, 12:25 PM
At the bottom of this page, IGN has a mock up of the "standard controller" shell that Nintendo may make so developers won't feel obligated to use the "remote" controller for everything: http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html

btw, read the article too.

AtmaWeapon
09-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't understand why everyone is worked up about "OMG MY FAVORITE GAME WILL BE HARD TO CONTROL WITH THIS" because the following facts are true: Gamecube controllers can plug directly into the Revolution if I understand correctly; I'm sure if the game requires a more traditional controller this could be leveraged. Included in the interview AND the pictures we can see that the controller sports an expansion jack that can allow a game designer to present additional functionality to the controller. While I had not imagined anything as elegant as the shell vegeta1215 showcased, I had envisioned a controller (such as a fighting game arcade-style controller) that used the Revolution controller as nothing more than a wireless transmitter.However useful this will be, I kind of worry about the consequences. Nintendo is basically requiring a developer to use the GCN controller, the Revolution controller, or make their own. The GCN controller is not appropriate for some types of games (fighting games come to mind) so many games have skipped the GCN. The Revolution controller is most likely inappropriate for several types of games. In the case of a game where neither the GCN or Revolution controller (again, fighting games are the easiest example since you need 6 buttons and a stick), the developer is forced to either make do, create a new controller, or encourage customers to buy a third-party controller.

If the custom-controller route becomes the norm, I think we'll see game prices spike as each game will include its special controller. However due to the costs and effort needed to develop a controller I doubt this will happen. More likely fighting games will continue to skip over the Nintendo system. I don't think this bothers Nintendo as I will point out in an upcoming epic megapost.

Dragon
09-17-2005, 07:21 PM
I was expecting something crazy with the controller for the revoltuion, and still I was suprised. I remember way back when the original X-box controller was hated so much I said controllers don't really matter, that I could play games on a DVD remote if I had to... I just never thought I would. Actually though I think this is a good move for Nintendo. With PS3 going to be the most powerful of the new systems, and with 360 close behind... low price and a unique style was what Nintendo was planning to do to seperate itself anyway, and the articles I read definately make the controller seem pretty cool.

Beldaran
09-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Good point about the Xbox controller. Everyone who hated the xbox because its controller wasn't standard, but who loves the revolution, should put on their hypocrisy hat.

AtmaWeapon
09-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I hated the Xbox controller because it was too big and when I did own an Xbox I never really got to where I liked the controller.

This controller will take some getting used to, but at least I don't have concerns about whether I need to strengthen my grip to hold it. I'm more concerned about what happens when I swing too hard and hit someone ;)

Tygore
09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Good point about the Xbox controller. Everyone who hated the xbox because its controller wasn't standard, but who loves the revolution, should put on their hypocrisy hat.

Not necessarily. I hated the original XBox controller because It was nearly impossible to hold due to poor button layout and a pointless giant XBox logo in the middle. The controller-S took things to scale, and is much better to use.

The Revolution controller, on the other hand, looks very functional and easy to use. However, I do plan on giving it a test run at Best Buy before I go out and pre-order one.

Beldaran
09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Not necessarily. I hated the original XBox controller because It was nearly impossible to hold due to poor button layout and a pointless giant XBox logo in the middle. The controller-S took things to scale, and is much better to use.

This is just a thinly veiled excuse for people who don't like the xbox to complain about something. Anyone who dislikes the original Xbox controller because it is "nearly impossible to hold" is not using their brain correctly. The original xbox controller is not only extremely comfortable, it was designed to be so by a cadre of experienced ergonomics experts.

What happened was, it was different than what people were use to, and since they were irrationally searching for something to bitch about, they latched onto the controller issue.

I question not only the intelligence, but the basic sanity of anyone who disliked the original xbox controller. I know most people here hated the design, and if you are one of those people, know that my opinion of you is lower than it might be simply because of that.

Lutraphobiac
09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
This is a shell they are going to release (with the system I hope) that will work for more traditional games (and ports). Plus, it can still take advantage of the Rev. controller's movement features.

Edit: I guess that's just a mockup. But that's probably pretty close.

This would rest my mind a bit on my worries for the system. While I think that the knew controller could be pretty cool in many games, I don't think it would work with alot of the games we have come to enjoy. One of the problems I saw with the remote like controller was that the user had to think about it while playing the game. I feel that in most games you want to not have to think about the interfacing device and be (for the lack of a better term) "one" with the game. If they would come out with this controller than it would make the system much more interesting. Now if they only could get some more games.....

VT_Hokie_Fan
09-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Before I opened this topic, I had absolutely no interest in buying a Nintendo Revolution.

Then I read the article.

I still had no interest in buying the Nintendo Revolution.

Then I saw the video.

Now I'm interested. I'm still not sold(actually, far from it) until I see some of the games actually in action(all it showed was a bunch of Japanese people moving around and laughing hysterically). It also depends on how much support it has and how much support it has for the regular gamecube controller that it is compatable with. It could be an outstanding innovation.

It could suck. We don't know until its released and one of us tries it. *ahem*Cloral*ahem*

Grasshopper
09-18-2005, 07:47 PM
This is just a thinly veiled excuse for people who don't like the xbox to complain about something. Anyone who dislikes the original Xbox controller because it is "nearly impossible to hold" is not using their brain correctly. The original xbox controller is not only extremely comfortable, it was designed to be so by a cadre of experienced ergonomics experts.

Maybe to you, but doesn't mean it is to someone else. And just because someone doesn't like the controller doesn't mean they dislike the Xbox. I believe AlexMax is one of those people. He loves his Xbox, but I'm pretty sure he prefers the small one to the large one. (Correct me if I'm wrong AlexMax)

I'm fine with the Xbox. I can hold the original controller just fine. But I do think its a bit too thick for my preference. I don't hate the Xbox though.

Axel
09-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I have extremely small hands and thin fingers. It is literally impossible for me to hold the original Xbox controller and reach all the buttons without pain. I have the same problem with some of the larger GC controllers (though not to the same extent). The newer small controllers are better.
Same problem with guitars, I can't fit my hand around the neck and hold on long enough to learn anything, I always end up nearly dropping the instrument and blowing on my poor palm. No trouble with woodwind instruments, though, since I don't have fat fingers getting in the way.

Beldaran
09-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Since I've seen little girls play acoustic guitars without a problem, I think the problem is with your deformed hands, not the xbox controller. I guess it was designed for humans in mind, not man-girls with toddler hands.

Daarkseid
09-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Since I've seen little girls play acoustic guitars without a problem, I think the problem is with your deformed hands, not the xbox controller. I guess it was designed for humans in mind, not man-girls with toddler hands.

I think you can dispense with the attitude when its over something as stupid as a game controller design. Nearly everyone who has bitched about the size of the old Xbox controller has voiced approval of the S-type, which was intended only for the Japanese market until consumer response made it the supported model in the US market as well.

Beldaran
09-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Nearly everyone who has bitched about the size of the old Xbox controller has voiced approval of the S-type, which was intended only for the Japanese market until consumer response made it the supported model in the US market as well.

Because apparently whether or not you are correct is based on how many people agree with you?

Hey guess what, everyone just voted that gravity doesn't exist. So let's go jump off a cliff.

I happen to think gamers who hated the large controller design have a total inability to see through their quasi-political company preference. People who don't have that bias, and still dislike the big controller, are just wrong. That is my opinion. If having an opinion is "an attitude" then I have an attitude.

Japanese people are some of the most racist and narrow minded people on earth. They disliked the big controller because the weren't used to it. There is no physiological reason to dislike it. It is very well designed. All of the reasons for disliking are purely psychological or political.

Axel
09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Small hands and feet run in my family. My sister wore flower-girl shoes to her own wedding. You've just insulted me and my entire family. So you can take your fat fingered gorilla hands and.... [content edited due to AGN decency rules]

Orion
09-18-2005, 10:38 PM
You'd think that Zelda would be more than enough to compensate for that. Twilight Princess should have brought Nintendo back into range.

This might come as a suprise to some people, but not everybody likes Zelda and think it's the greatest series ever.

Anyway, I wonder if this will bring about that "Marionette" idea again (if anyone remembers that), or if the puppet concept will have anything to do with the new Mario title?

Daarkseid
09-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I guess it was designed for humans in mind, not man-girls with toddler hands.

That was what I was refering to when saying "attitude". You're free to express your opinion, just not in a manner that makes you look like a condescending prick.

EDIT: Actually, no, you can be a condescending prick, you're just likely to hurt your reputation in doing so.

Tygore
09-18-2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010829l.gif

I'm sorry, but you're going to have a hard time convincing me that I secretly was perfectly comfortable with the original X-Box controller and just convinced myself I hated it out of some pre-conceived bias. And to quote Tycho: "I don't have anything polite to say about the controller for the Nintendo Revolution. Watching the DS shift from something I furrow my brow at to something I take with me everywhere has bought them this courtesy."(emphasis added)

vegeta1215
09-18-2005, 11:50 PM
This one is funnier: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2002-03-25&res=l

Sorry, I had to link that. But really people, let's get back on topic. If you want to continue arguing about the X-Box controller, do it in GB.

Tygore
09-18-2005, 11:58 PM
I couldn't decide between the two. Meh.

But back on topic, I agree that the controller looks wierd. But you know what? I've been won over by so many wierd Nintendo concepts that I'm hopeful about this. The only way I see the Revolution failing is if people are so put-off that they refuse to even walk into a GameStop or Best Buy or even freaking Wal-Mart and give it a try. (Of course, Wal-MArt demos are designed to force you to tilt your head upward 80 degrees, but still...)

AtmaWeapon
09-19-2005, 12:52 AM
People don't agree with me ergo they are sub-humans who simply don't see the glory of my ways.There, Beldaran. Now you don't have to post in the thread anymore :).

I still say the controller was too big. I do admit that I sold my Xbox before I had more than a month to get accustomed to it. Something about a game library that started and ended with Halo at the time turned me off. I kind of regret it now, but it'd be just another money sink at the time. The types of games I like to play aren't typically targeted to the Xbox audience.

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Okay, I'm sold.

Revolution's sensory technology does not interface with TV scan lines, as is the standard with traditional light guns. Because of that, light gun games are entirely possible with Revolution regardless of television type.Light gun games! Yee!

Warlock
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html

IGN lists some examples of how the controller can be used.

BTW,
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651224/revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064634792.jpg

What freaking game is this? Is this Mario Kart DS? Even as a modified screenshot, it sure as heck isn't Double Dash (i.e. there are not two people per kart).

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 02:49 PM
No, it's Mario Kart GP - the version made for the arcades. It's supposed to be very good indeed, but there's such a low chance of it coming to the UK that they haven't invented a word for how small it is, so I guess I'll have to take that on faith. It's rumoured there's a Revolution port in the works, hence the mock-up.

(See? I'm full of information, I am.)

Warlock
09-19-2005, 02:58 PM
No, it's Mario Kart GP - the version made for the arcades. It's supposed to be very good indeed, but there's such a low chance of it coming to the UK that they haven't invented a word for how small it is, so I guess I'll have to take that on faith. It's rumoured there's a Revolution port in the works, hence the mock-up.

(See? I'm full of information, I am.)

Wow, didn't even know there was an arcade version. Is it Japan-only? I thought the graphics looked too damn good for DS :)

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it's Japan-only at the moment, although I believe they're planning on bringing it over to the States. Here's what IGN thought of it. (http://cube.ign.com/articles/647/647284p1.html)

ZeldaLord
09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
No, it's Mario Kart GP - the version made for the arcades. It's supposed to be very good indeed, but there's such a low chance of it coming to the UK that they haven't invented a word for how small it is, so I guess I'll have to take that on faith.

Are they trying to lose money? :odd:
Releasing a game exclusively on a platform that isn't widely available (and so can't be bought in the shops) when it could easily be ported to Gamecube seems to me like a sure way to lose cash.

The new controller looks...interesting. I can see the potential it has (especially for FPS games, with that B trigger :D ), and if it's executed correctly, it could really be the next big step in gaming.
However, I do have a major problem with the "TV remote" shape of it. If they made it just slighly more ergonomic, it would make a whole world of difference when you come to play it for long periods of time.

Monica
09-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I just have to say something about the Xbox controller. I have small thin hands too and the regular Xbox controller literally made my hands red and tingly really bad after about thirty minutes, every game I played, every single time whether it was WWF RAW, Tetris Worlds or Shenmue 2. The S was such a relief. No controller has ever done that before, and my hands fit perfectly around the GC controller.

That caused serious pain though. :(

As for the Rev controller, it looks like a cool concept. I don't favor a specific company, I like them all because the games are what matters. (and the controllers don't torture your hands) I had to stop playing until I got an S, that was NOT psychosematic. :(

Darth Marsden
09-19-2005, 06:05 PM
With Mario Kart GP... it's proven very popular, from what I've heard. Follow my above mentioned link, you'll see why.

And with the remote... there should be a sort of 'lock-on' station you can use that's shaped something like the Gamecube's controller. (http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=1034755&postcount=41) I suppose that, or just plugging your Gamecube controllers directly into the console itself, will be the alternative for those like yourself who aren't too sure about holding what's basically a glorified remote. I know I'll be getting one of those stations, I liked my Gamecube controller.

Dechipher
09-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I look forward to this, to be sure. The only question I ask...will it get old? Will I get tired of using a damn pointer for everything, as I think I would get tired of using dual screens and a touchscreen on the DS?

goKi
09-19-2005, 08:28 PM
The more i look at this, and hear about this, the more i like the idea, and think it will succeed. I was already definately not buying a PS3 or Xbox 360, but it looks like i'll be getting a revolution.

AtmaWeapon
09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I look forward to this, to be sure. The only question I ask...will it get old? Will I get tired of using a damn pointer for everything, as I think I would get tired of using dual screens and a touchscreen on the DS?If you buy more than one game then it probably won't happen. I know for some reason I'm not tired of controllers despite 19 years of using one, and a few months of stylus hasn't got on my nerves yet.