PDA

View Full Version : puzzled by house interior

Xerius
09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm trying to set up a two-room house off of the main overworld map. In the first room, I've placed just decorations primarily (bed, table, bookshelves, etc.), with another doorway off to the left. This is supposed to lead to a merchant's shop, which I was able to set up fairly well. Only problem is, once in this room, Link can't exit back through the door he entered through! He gets to the edge of the screen through the door frame, but then acts as if there's a wall there.

I didn't draw in the door, but rather used the 'doors' tool to set up a passage to the right. I saw one poster on another thread recommend not using a 'dungeon' dmap for house interiors, but when I don't, Link walks over the top of the door frames. In any case, the dmap choice doesn't seem to make any difference. I've tried switching the rooms around, but it doesn't solve the problem with the second room. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also, a side question that's somewhat related: does anyone know where I can get a MIDI of the Zelda town music? (such as that from A Link to the Past? I've heard it used in at least one other quest)

rocksfan13
09-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Look at http://www.vgmusic.com for the music.

Also are you using layers?

ZeldaLord
09-13-2005, 03:15 PM
You may simply be accidentally walking off the dmap. Check the map in the dmap dialog, and make sure both screens are visible.

Xerius
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Bingo! Fixed. That was exactly it, ZeldaLord. It's amazing how the tiniest (silliest?) of errors can totally derail things. Thanks for the help!

rocksfan13, thanks for the link there. That site should definitely take care of my midi needs.

One more question: is it possible to divide the triforce into more than eight pieces? I've been looking for an option in the editor, but haven't found one.

Cloral
09-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Nope. 8 is the max. If you want to force the players through more levels, you'll have to find other ways to do it. For instance, the player needs to complete one level to get an item they need to reach the next level.

Xerius
09-13-2005, 11:21 PM
That's what I thought. I actually did something similar for the first dungeon. The only thing is, I couldn't figure out if it was possible to make Link immediately leave the dungeon after getting the item (as he would with a triforce piece). As it is right now, he gets the item in a room beyond the boss, then has to march back out to the entrance. Kind of annoying . . . plus, it creates this little visual feature where the bats in one room change color (!). Any remedy for this?

ShadowTiger
09-14-2005, 09:07 AM
1) To make Link leave the dungeon like he has gotten a triforce can be done, but it's rather difficult. For one, you probably wouldn't be able to simulate the "Triforce Retrieve!" effect unless you actually Spawn an invisible Link (Via the invisible Link screen flag...) onto a triforce that has no purpose other than to simulate that effect. I.e. you'd have Link get the item, and before he walked over the item, he'd trigger a Trig->Perm, which causes warps to appear just under him (or near him.) which warp him onto this mock triforce. It'd also trigger some temp-warps near the room entrance to appear, which would negate the warps. It'd be done via tiered triggering, which is another thing to learn on its own. A lot of things are possible in ZC, but only if you actually know how to do them. They're not immediately evident.

2) The keese in that room which change color... change color because they're Keese (Level Color) enemies. They're based on Cset 9 of your Dmap's Palette, which is Palette-dependent. You're probably switching between two different Dmaps which use a different Cset 9 when your keese change colors like that. Blue or Red Keese don't do that, y'see. :p

fire dragon
09-14-2005, 03:42 PM
I must say something about vgmusic.com.Remember,that you must ask,can you use vg's music for midi's creators before you use them.You can see e-mail addresses on info link after midi's link.I use vg's midis too,and I ask before I use.
Sorry,if I heared angry,I don't are.:)

LinkMaster500
09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Fire dragon:

Regarding asking for use of MIDIs, what do you do about those files on vgmusic.com that don't have an Info Link or those with an Info link that doesn't give the e-mail address of the sequencer?