PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Final Bosses

DarkFlameWolf
09-08-2005, 01:04 PM
You read the title. For me it would be Necron from Final Fantasy IX. I mean, I would expect Kuja to be the final boss and possibly have a second form (like all good final bosses), instead, some random god-like monster appears with absolutely NO REFERENCE to him anywhere in the story up to that point and is like: "I'm Rick James Biatch! Phear me! Die Punkz!" And so I pummel its @ss and say, 'where the frack did he come from?!'
Anyone else have similar feelings?

AtmaWeapon
09-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I HAD NOT FINISHED FINAL FANTASY IX YET GOOD SIR AND NOW I WILL ASSAULT YOU WITH SEVERAL PAGES OF ANGER FOR SPOILING IT FOR ME actually the "unrelated final boss" scenario is well established in the Final Fantasy series (See Final Fantasy II) so it's not that big a deal.

Sometimes the unexpected final boss is cool and sometimes it's not. Advance Wars DS has an unexpected final mission (or so I've been told) and the way it happens is kind of cool.

Shadowblazer
09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was having to fight my shadow at the end of Zelda 2. Didn't see that one coming! ;)

Darth Marsden
09-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I've come across this situation before. Usually, If there's an end-game boss and it wasn't signposted (the big bad throughout the game and the like), I've always suspected who it was. This time, however, I was pleasently surprised by the twist (not a boss battle, but I haven't finished the game yet, so maybe it will be). Allow me to give you a SPOILER-HEAVY example from Prince of Persia : Warrior Within.

You're looking for the Empress of Time so you can stop her from creating the Sands of Time and therefore avoid the nasty fate the Dahaka, the Guardian of the time-line, has in fate for you, since you opened those sands. Throughout your travel, you rescue Kaileena from another female warrior (both are needlesly scantily-clad, and most be frozen solid, but that's a rant for another time), and she warns you off from trying to see the Empress. I knew right there that she was the same, and lo and behold, the big twist came and... she was. Irritating boss battle it was, too - she kept blocking all my attacks. But anyway.

Also along your travels, you see this strange figure. He looks very much like the Dahaka, and when I first saw it, I thought 'That's obviously a young version of the Dahaka'. But it's not. The twist is... it's YOU. Being a game about time-travel, it all makes sense, and in a bizarre way, it's really nice to be able to go back to the moments when you see your pre-corrupted self and finally understand what's really going on.

Not an unexpected boss, as mentioned, but unexpected none-the-less.

EDIT: Finished the game. No such luck with fighting yourself, but you do have to let your previous self die. It's very complicated. And, if you collect all 9 life upgrades (as I did, believe me you need them) you get to fight the Dahaka, which is nice, seeing as he's been chasing you all the way through the game.

ShadowTiger
09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Ditto to Shadowblazer. It was as unexpected as it was random. :p [J/K]

There was a boss in Aria Of Sorrow that, although wasn't a final boss, did manage to impress. In the Arena, the boss room has you walking a little bit in, you see countless bats hanging from the ceiling. As you walk in, the bats all converge together to form one giant bat. It flutters up toward the ceiling, then a giant hand quickly emerges from the background and squishes it. Much, much blood. Then the other hand comes out, followed by the Giant's face. Kinda hard boss. Those hands go everywhere! :shakeno: ... ... Then there's his magic fire-creating eye... Ugh.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
The Golden Sun TLA boss was a bit unexpected...

Master Ghaleon
09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Lunar on the Sega CD. After you beat Ghaleon the first time I shit my pants when I had to face him again. I died and then realized i needed to heal up before I head into the next room

Axel
09-08-2005, 04:32 PM
There's Star Fox 64, you're going through Venom2 and suddenly, "Play time is over, Star Fox." Holy shit! Where'd Star Wolf come from? Damned hard fight too.
Shadow Link was pretty surprising too, but thankfully he wasn't that hard.
I'd have to say FFX was pretty surprising. Just the entire final fight, you have to fight all your summons and can't possibly lose. I don't understand the point of that fight at all. Not a challenge, but it surprised me.

Archibaldo
09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
SPOILER!!!

In Baten Kaitos, after all the dialogue (which is like 30 minutes), Geldoblame comes back, but instead of being retardedly strong he was really weak. I was like what the hell? What kind of final boss is this?

DarkFlameWolf
09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
well, the thread is probably going to have spoilers in it, so if you're not too keen on that, then.....stop reading? lol

Another surprise final boss as Mega Man X: Command Mission. I had a feeling that Redips, the general who sent me to Giga City was the one who masterminded the entire plot. But I was surprised that he had been playing me from the start as Spider. (get it? Spider = Redips backwards. har har) But yeah, it was nice to have a non-sigma final boss battle in the series.

Beldaran
09-08-2005, 05:00 PM
[MAJOR SPOILER]

In FABLE, there is a big plot twist and you end up fighting a boss who used to be one of your mentors. It totally blind sided me. It was pretty sweet. I kicked his ass.

Tygore
09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Super Smash Bros. I mean, a giant floating hand? What the crap? That one got me.

jman2050
09-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Megaman X8. It was almost a given with Capcom's track record that the final boss would be Sigma. It was an easy assumption, and there was no reason to believe they would change that. My assumptions were verified when I ended up fighting Sigma.

Of course, once I realized that I had to fight Lumine next, all of that was thrown out the window. A HUGE surprise, that's for sure. Good thing too, cause that was the best final boss Capcom has come up with in a LOOOOONG time :)

DarkFlameWolf
09-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Another one: Final Fantasy 8, I thought for sure Edea was the final boss, but was surprised she bowed out of the villian race by the end of disc 2 and some unknown chick pops into the story that has never before been referenced and she becomes the final enemy. I was like: wtf?

goKi
09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
[MAJOR SPOILER]

In FABLE, there is a big plot twist and you end up fighting a boss who used to be one of your mentors. It totally blind sided me. It was pretty sweet. I kicked his ass.

Didn't really take me by suprise, i guess, probably because it's so easy to just get through that game so fast. Also the fact that nearly everyone was turning against you. The final boss of fable was a huge disappointment, while we're on the subject.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
OK, I'm gonna ask straight out, does Fable suck? It got great reviews and all, but I have heard NOTHING good about it from ANYONE that I have talked to.

AlexMax
09-08-2005, 09:44 PM
OK, I'm gonna ask straight out, does Fable suck? It got great reviews and all, but I have heard NOTHING good about it from ANYONE that I have talked to.

It's a good rental.

Beldaran
09-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Jaded, over-stimulated gamers who hate everything by default will hate it. People who still have a soul will really enjoy it. I loved it.

Axel
09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Not owning an XBox I can't say for certain. But what I understand is that it's a good game that simply failed to live up to the massive hype which had been built around it.

King Aquamentus
09-08-2005, 11:26 PM
This is kind of a funny addition, but the final battle in power rangers for SNES...
I mean, the megazord is about to finish the monster off with it's power sword, when suddenly, the monster blocks it, revives himself, turns gold, and is twice as hard. O_o.
I personally hated him, but I can't remember his name.

Beldaran
09-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Not owning an XBox I can't say for certain. But what I understand is that it's a good game that simply failed to live up to the massive hype which had been built around it.

Exactly. The expectations were rediculous, and Molyneaux's studio did nothing to quell them. Molyneaux himself even apologized after the game's release about hyping it so bad and boasting about features that never made it into the game.

However, when I played the game, I didn't know any of this. So I was really happy with how interesting and new the game was. There is a TON of things to do and there are lots of different ways to approach victory. Saying you can complete the game in 10 hours is simply not true. That's only one way to play the game. There are different alignments, and economy to play with, and the goofyness of age, religion, and relationships. It's fun.

It's a toy. It's an amazing toy. It just isn't the ultimate single player fantasy world ever concieved that will eliminate your need to go outside and have a life, which is how it was hyped by the (surprise) marketing and PR guys of the publisher.

Most marketing people should be thrown in a pit of lava for ruining art and entertainment.

Rainman
09-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Jaded, over-stimulated gamers who hate everything by default will hate it. People who still have a soul will really enjoy it. I loved it.

I hated it and I don't think that I've lost my "soul" yet. Aging was too fast, environment was too small, dialogue was annoyingly repetitive. It didn't deliver on most of the cool things I was expecting. As Alexmax said, it's fairly decent to rent. I played a good amount for a little less than a week than after only enjoying the fighting mini-game for a while I became too bored to continue.

Dechipher
09-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Donkey Kong Country. I didn't expect K Rool to come back. I beat him the first time, and I was so excited ( I was in like the 4th grade, after all) and I left the room to get my mom and I came back and I was dead. I was quite angry at that one.

*b*
09-09-2005, 12:16 AM
.hack//QUARANTINE, but not for a suprising final boss, but for the lack of one. the story explains about a cursed "wave", that was to follow eight phases, but the eighth phase is the final boss, and the "wave" is all the phases. it's clever, and a bit dissapointing, but certainly suprising

actually, there was an unexpected final boss. the secret boss, Twilight Wanderer. while the eight phases allow you to beat the game, this boss makes you complete it. I certainly was NOT expecting this boss, or it's second form

PolygonX8
09-09-2005, 01:52 AM
Donkey Kong Country. I didn't expect K Rool to come back. I beat him the first time, and I was so excited ( I was in like the 4th grade, after all) and I left the room to get my mom and I came back and I was dead. I was quite angry at that one.

Heh, so I'm not the only one.

But, there was Duo.EXE in MMBN4. While Duo was from space in MM8 and the asteroid heading towards Earth in BN4 being from space (of course), I still didn't even think of similarities between the two. I absolutely had no idea WHO the final boss was even going to be, but it turning out to be Duo was a bit of a surprise seeing as he was good in MM8 (States he's not evil, but only trying to wipe out the Earth because of the evil within humans -- an evil act right there. :rolleyes: ).
And to this date, Duo is still the most cheap boss in all of the BN games; attacks were absurd. And then, who'd even be crazy enough to fight DuoOmega for 100% completion? Pft, fuck that.

Edit: Damn typos/errors.

Vagla
09-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Super Smash Bros. I mean, a giant floating hand? What the crap? That one got me.
Eh, that's not really unexpected at all. The intro shows a hand playing with toys, so the game itself is toys fighting each other. It just makes sense for the final boss to be the hand because the toys are fighting against the hand which is playing with them. *shrugs* I didn't find it unexpected.

Daarkseid
09-09-2005, 04:59 AM
I'd have to say FFX was pretty surprising. Just the entire final fight, you have to fight all your summons and can't possibly lose.

You have to fight the summons? Wow. I wouldn't know, because I had Auron's legendary weapon, and with it the First Strike capability.

Auron did 99,999 points of damage to Yu Yevon immediately, ending the final boss fight in that game for me.

Of course, I'd previously spent 200 hours optimizing and filling all of my character's grids and collecting and upgrading their legendary weapons(Lulu's legendary weapon is a nice little reference).

zfreak2004
09-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Let me see...

Star Fox 64: Andross's brain form.
Pokemon Colleseum(spl?): Fighting the mayor.
Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island: Giant Bowser
Golden Sun 2: The identity of the dragon.

Axel
09-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Oh yeah, the Doom Dragon's identity. I deffinitely didn't see that coming. But the Dragon itself wasn't really a surprise.

I remember having to wipe out all your summons before Yu Yevon even shows up. Not that it matters, with the autolife thing and all. Of course, the only one that stands a chance of ever killing anyone is the Magus Sisters.

Cloral
09-09-2005, 07:41 PM
I was thinking they might've did the autolife thing so that getting the optional summons doesn't end up as a punishment. If you actually had to fight the Magus Sisters in that battle, people might think twice about getting them. But still, the whole autolife thing was really stupid.

Orion
09-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3. I was so suprised that I was had to fight bowser. Who'd have thunk it?

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-09-2005, 11:42 PM
That should have been funnier =/

Anyway, Dynasty Warriors 3, because like almost all of the Shu and Wu characters have Sima Yi as their final boss, and he's like this goth pussy that uses a fan.

Tygore
09-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Eh, that's not really unexpected at all. The intro shows a hand playing with toys, so the game itself is toys fighting each other. It just makes sense for the final boss to be the hand because the toys are fighting against the hand which is playing with them. *shrugs* I didn't find it unexpected.

So the game is really some kind of violent Toy Story rip off with Andy as the final boss? That's still pretty wierd.

Vagla
09-10-2005, 05:14 AM
Pretty much. Just watch the intro with the hand taking the dolls from the toybox and them coming to life; it 'explains' everything. ;) Weird, yes, but the boss isn't really unexpected, per se.

King Aquamentus
09-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Mother brain's gigantic monster form in Super Metroid. That took me by suprise.