PDA

View Full Version : My latest project

Darth Marsden
09-07-2005, 04:54 PM
My current project is a total conversion of the original Prince of Persia from 1990. Newly titled KX - Out of Time, I will eventually replace all of the levels, music, graphics and sounds from the original game to essentially create an all-new game. However, I have a big problem, one which I hope you guys can help with.

Time for a little backstory.

I began working on my KX back in late '04. The exact date eludes me, but at this point it's irrelevant. Anyway, I worked on and off for a few months before stopping just before the Christmas break. It was another few months before I got round to working on it again, but eventually I got to the point where I could issue a beta version to my testers.

However. By this point, the few people I'd gotten to agree to test it were now busy with other things. I was, essentially, without any Beta testers at all. Even my closest friend didn't have the time to give it a quick runthrough.

So I announced the launch through several sites. I've mentioned it here before, and I've brought it up on several Prince of Persia sites. It's gotten some very favourable comments - I won't mention them here, though they do exist - but, most irritatingly, no-one appears to have properly played through. Even worse, they seem to think it's the finished product, despite my repeated message that it was Beta 0.5.

Which leads me to the reason I've posted here. You've probably already guessed it, but I'll say it anyway - I humbly request that you download and test my game. I'm almost at a loss of what to do, and I really need people to tell me what's wrong with the game. It's a short game, and it's small - just under 1.5 Megs when zipped - so if you could please just give it a go, I'd forever appreciate it.

Here's the download link. (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/Games/OoTBeta5.exe) Please give it a go. From what I can tell, it's supposed to be quite good. And please

Note to moderators: I appreciate that this may well be against the rules of the forum (The one about not starting a thread for the sole purpose of advirtising something of yours springs to mind) but I really don't know what else to do. If you could keep this thread open, I'd be eternally grateful.

Beldaran
09-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll download it and give some feedback one of these nights. I'm at work at the moment, and my parents are visiting Texas so I'm crunched for time for a couple of days. But I'm interested and will give it a look. Probably friday or saturday.

AlexMax
09-08-2005, 04:54 AM
First of all, THANK YOU for using the origional PC port of Prince. The best version, without a doubt. I could never get into the 'new' graphics in later revisions.

However, my problem with this game is that I'm spending way too much time wandering around wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do. Prince levels were usually a little more straightforward, and this one is big and aimless and confusing. Also, blind jumps aren't cool.

However, it's looking decent graphicswise so far, though you might want to make the dungeon tiles look a litle "more different" than it already is.

Darth Marsden
09-08-2005, 06:17 AM
First of all, THANK YOU for using the origional PC port of Prince. The best version, without a doubt. I could never get into the 'new' graphics in later revisions.Your welcome. Incidentally, it's also the PoP easiest to edit :p

However, my problem with this game is that I'm spending way too much time wandering around wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do. Prince levels were usually a little more straightforward, and this one is big and aimless and confusing. Also, blind jumps aren't cool.Is is possible for you to give any particular examples? It does get more linear later on, when I finally decided to try some different stuff (level 3, 'Tower', if you can get to it, is a good example of linearity, as is level 4, 'Sprint').

However, it's looking decent graphics wise so far, though you might want to make the dungeon tiles look a litle "more different" than it already is.You haven't got to level 4, have you? :D The dungeon graphics you see in the beginning aren't actually mine - they're by Stephen Fayer. All I did was take pieces from his different graphics packs and put them together into a new one. If you compare them with the original, you'll see they're much more detailed - hence me using them. The other level graphics, which you'll first see in level 4, are all mine, which explains for the low quality. Here's some screenshots to show you...

Stephen's graphics (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/Games/Screens/OoTA.jpg)
My graphics (http://homepages.tesco.net/steveemarsden/Games/Screens/OoTM.jpg)

And thanks, Beldaran. I'm going on holiday for a few days on Monday, so I'll probably get back to you sometime on Friday - if my sister doesn't hog the computer, that is!

Darth Marsden
10-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Okay, it's been at least three weeks and I've recieved a grand total of... one (pretty vague) report.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE give this game a go. I really need to know what to fix and what to do more of. Please guys.

g4conman
10-04-2005, 09:33 PM
im haveing a lil trouble unziping the files. when i unzip the files where do they go? :(

Darth Marsden
10-06-2005, 03:39 AM
Just unzip them into something like C:\KX. It'll create a subdirectory called 'Out of Time'. Go into that and run either 'KXFull.bat' or 'KXSmall.bat' to play it in full-screen or windowed, respectively.

Thanks for giving it a go. Let me know what you think!