PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Allergic To?

carrot red
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi, my name is carrot red and I'm allergic to antibiotics. Any of the big antibiotic families you can think of, or whatever brand you've ever heard of, be it here in the US or in Europe, I've tried it and I'm allergic to it. Yay me, I beat them all and I'm still standing. : p

Anyway, I've started another long and tedious series of allergies tests, for the third time in less than seven years, to try and find some antibiotic component I'm not allergic to. My allergies take the form of a serious and pronounced rash in the whole upper torso section, (and let me remind me you that my hair is red, my skin *isn't* normally,) if I take one tablet. Two tablets and my throat is all swollen and I can't breathe. My bronchitis became chronic because until this day, they haven't found any antibiotic/medicine I can take that can kill it.

Oh, and I have the usual spring allergies common to all.

How about you?

Prrkitty
09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
My husband Paul is going thru allergy shots as well. When they tested him he was allergic to everything they tested him for - which is everything they test everyone for.

Paul can't take antibiotics either... he gets "thrush" of the mouth, throat and esophagus.

I hope they find something that you can take - and soon hon. Good luck and God bless...

Rainman
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I tried to give blood yesterday, but couldn't because I have an allergic reaction to the iodine they put around the needle entry point. I think my grandmother is allergic to penicillen (sp?). I might too.

Besides that I have nasal allergies to... something. Never been tested or whatever. I'm anosmic (can't smell) so I hardly care what's going on in there.

ShadowTiger
09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Aside from the standard hayfever which I'm honestly not sure if I even have or not, (It comes and goes. :shrug: ) I just may have no allergies at all.

I do, however, have a horrible gag reflex at certain foods. Mostly meat. I can't eat meat. If I even think that there's a bone or fat or tendon or anything like that in whatever I'm eating, I usually just throw up completely. Hey, more chicken for everyone else. :shrug:

VEL
09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm allergic to penicillin, walnuts, dust, pollen, dogs, and cats. With penicillin I just got a rash on my hands. When I eat walnuts I get a bad stomach ache. The others make me sneeze, and my nose gets runny.

theplustwo
09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I used to not be allergic to anything, which was good news. However, for some reason when I was about fifteen my body decided that it would probably be a good idea to become allergic to cat hair, and now I've got summertime allergies too, although I'm not sure if it's from ragweed or pollen or what.

Beldaran
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm not able to eat any red meat, meaning no beef, pork, etc. I also can't have dairy products, crab meat, cheese, or too much high fat foods (no McDonals). I can't digest such things and they make me horribly sick.

I also get nasal/throat allergies once or twice a year due to pollen, but they aren't severe.

Yoshiman
09-07-2005, 03:28 PM
I have seasonal allergies, which is a real pain if I'm not on anything. But I take a spray now, so I don't get the reactions like my dad does. :D No sneezing or watery eyes for me.

I'm also allergic to cats, but I wasn't allergic to them when I was younger. I used to OWN a black cat. It sucks because I like cats, but I can't be around them for a very long time. If I stay around at my uncle's house for a few hours, I'll start to sneeze a lot. But once when I was taking the spray I mentioned before and went over there for my cousin's birthday, I didn't seem to get any reaction at all from the cats. :shrug: And I was playing with them as well.

Valientlink
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Im alegrgic to dogs cats and all of nature but not allergic to poodles for some odd reason. I have asthma also and when I was 5 I had mono and namonia. Oh god I took awful medicene. I was sick today also. I also throw up when I drink orange soda. When I break out in hives I take clarinex and they go sway in minutes. Every Christmas I get bronchitous from a lack of sleep. :( :( :( :( We had to give up my cat when I was 5 because everyone was allergic. I want a pet so bad (Sigh) :cry: :cry: :cry:

deathbyhokie
09-07-2005, 04:38 PM
i'm allergic to cats. if i'm around them too long, i start having asthma-like symptoms, and they tend to persist for the next couples days. the lack of brath also throws my sleep way out of whack, as 10 hours of sleep leave me still feeling tired. for those won don't know what asthma-like reactions are, imagine someone sitting on your chest as you try to go about your daily buisness

also, i'm allergic to redheads. when i spend too long talking to one, i tend to start turning green, and saying ribbet alot. still haven't figured that one out.

moocow
09-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm allergic to dogs, cats, hamsters (basically any pet that leaves hair laying around in some way, shape or form), just about everything outside, cigarette smoke, some detergents, and some elastics. *nods* I've become immune to some things, like dogs and smoke. My allergies were gone for years until I got pregnant, and then they came back, and never left. Also took a while to get used to cigarette smoke again too, as no one smoked around me when I was pregnant. Now I just wake up with a hella bad sore throat after being in a bar the night before.

I'm allergic to sunflower seeds too, found that out the hard way when I was little.

I remember getting tested for allergies when I was like, 5 or 6 years old. I was allergic to everything they tested for. Then had to get a bunch of allergy shots after that. Major suck.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
09-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Seriousy hayfever and an allergy to most soaps.

Rijuhn
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
I down want to speculate why or how I've aquired the allergies I have, but some of them have developed and some have lessened over the years. They are as follow:

1 - milk and dairy (cheese is the worst for whatever reason)
2 - nuts (coconuts too)
3 - melons make my stomach sick
4 - grass
5 - pollen
6 - dust
7 - asthma induced by grass, exercise and some foods I'm allergic to
8 - animal dander (dogs seem to affect me the most though)

Lutraphobiac
09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Allergies are pretty interesting. You get allergies because your body basically "Fucks up"(scientific term). Your body has a mechanism in your body that is supposed to create the right chemical (Histamine) that will dispose of it safely. After your first contact it will remember the chemical for future use. The bad thing is that if it is WRONG about the chemical it will produce alot of histamine and create those regular allergic reactions. Most allergy medicines have "antihistamines" that will stop the reaction.

With that said, I don't think I have any allergies though I do have a suspicious annual cold in the beginning of winter.

goKi
09-07-2005, 08:33 PM
A very mild allergy to chlorine, in swimming pools and such. Those at the convention may remember my eyes going all screwy after i swam.

PolygonX8
09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Dust and dogs. Somewhat sucks, because dogs are pretty good pets. :shrug:

Jigglysaint
09-07-2005, 10:33 PM
The big one is Sulpha drugs, which I think gives me a rash or somthing. I am also allergic to dust(most likely dust mites, because I haven't had a problem lately), cat hair(although I have 3 cats and I don't exibit any symptoms), and I think that's it, except maybe excercising in freezing conditions.

I have some sort of asthma, and I have inhalers, but I don't take them, and I haven't needed to take them since winter. Usually it's during winter that things get bad. Fortunatly I am not allergic to any sort of pollen, grass, or anything else that grows. As for gag reflexes, the only real thing I don't like is mayonaise, but it seems to be getting better as I get over my food phobias(for the longest time I just couldn't eat yogurt, now I find it quite good).

me2
09-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm not allergic to anything but heavy pollen. One time I came back from the doctor's office and walked my dog. I came back and got really bad allergies. They're really annoying. :(

Daarkseid
09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Amazingly, I have no allergies whatsoever. Some years ago, the doctor decided it would be a good idea to draw up a large amount of my blood for allergy testing. They didn't find anything.

Tygore
09-07-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm allergic to penacillin, and I have some kind of seasonal allergy, but it's not severe enough for me to pay a doctor to find out what.

Lilith
09-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Lactose, some dogs, some seasonal stuff. It all comes and goes. It likes to lure me into a false sense of security and then spring on me just as I've forgotten about it.

Beldaran
09-08-2005, 01:25 AM
some dogs

[points at custom title]

Maybe you should stop killing them, raising them as the undead, and copulating with them.

*b*
09-08-2005, 02:58 AM
grasses mostly, and tree pollen. flower pollen is alright, as well as dust, and other airborn stuff. oh, and I can't have a lot of oily or very sugary foods (I can have oily foods and sugary foods, just not in vast amounts)

Brasel
09-08-2005, 03:38 AM
If I were allergic to antiboitics...I'd probably be dead seeing as I've taken them so many times when I used to get sick as a youngin...

I'm not allergic to anything thank the gods.

Verman
09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Im allergic to:

Cats & Dogs: Scratchy throat, sneezing, voice change

Mold: If I can smell it I can't breathe and have to run away, I had a puffer for it.

Dust: This is a terrible one even dusting off a tv or cleaning out a computer and I'm unable to breath and my face breaks out big time. I take clartin and it gets rid of it unless I put my face right in the dust haha!

Allergys suck! I got off lucky though I know someone who is allergic to wheat! Can you imagine not being able to eat wheat?

EDIT: Oh I suppose I could add acetametaphene (tylonal). If I eat one of them I puke, thinking about them makes me queezy... Once when I was younger I ate 80 of em and hadda go to the hospital and get my stomach pumped and the like, so now I can't handle them... Stupid me.

MacWeirdo42
09-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Pollen, mold, dust, smoke, dogs, cats... That about covers it. Oh yeah, and just recently, I discovered I was allergic to bees. Got stung twice during a camping trip (we managed to run into a bee swarm), and oddly, didn't get hives or anything, just one of the worst allergy attacks of my life (coughing, sneezing, etc.).

carrot red
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
i'm allergic to Kats.
also, i'm allergic to redheads. when i spend too long talking to one, i tend to start turning green, and saying ribbet alot. still haven't figured that one out.
I knew that. : p

I thought redheads were the best thing that could happen to you most of the (day) time. If you turn froggy, chances are you deserve it.

If I were allergic to antiboitics...I'd probably be dead seeing as I've taken them so many times when I used to get sick as a youngin...

I wasn't allergic to antibiotics when I was very young. I think it started 10 years ago.

Great Warrior
09-09-2005, 06:54 AM
I used to be lactose intolerant when i was a baby, but i do not seem to have anymore problems digesting dairy products. i do not think i am allergic to anything now. my girlfriend is allergic to fish.

KingOfHeart
09-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm allergic to all medicines, I usualy get side effects.
Bee stings I'll faint a bit but not always.

I'm probably allergic to more but I just can't think of anything else right now.