PDA

View Full Version : Triggering Secrets upon Boss defeats

Scotian Gold
09-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Hello all! I have sucessfully followed the steps to make a secrets trigger on other screens when you kill the boss (at least, on the same Overworld Dmap). But I cannot seem to make it work when I have two Dmaps. They each have the same level number (1). One is a dungeon (Dungeon) and the other is a house (Cave).

Just so solution providers have an idea of what I am trying to appcomplish, the houses in any given DMap overworld will be locked until Link defeats a boss monster roaming the overworld (As they should be, most villagers are scared of octoroks, I assume...) When he beats the boss, the doors open for Link to go inside to access shops, houses, etc. (And up to this point it is working fine)

Then, when he defeats a nearby dungeon boss and goes back to these houses, the people will be even more helpful, giving different clues or congrats (accompished by warp tiles that should trigger when he enters the room, post-boss defeat). Hence, all of the houses that have boss triggers must be on the same level as the dungeon.

But perhaps I have answered my own question by writing it out...should I scatter these houses around empty areas of the same dungeon DMap...that would mean setting my stores to Dungeon type, is that a problem...it is 0105 now so I will wait to see what the morning brings for replies before I start experimenting further!

Tchau, boa noite,
Scotian Gold

Freedom
09-05-2005, 02:51 AM
2 bosses is probably your problem

Scotian Gold
09-05-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't think so - I have the Kill All Bosses rule turned off. :)

SG

Freedom
09-05-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't believe it will work like the, trying to get it to recognize 2 separate bosses with the same level number, and turning off kill all bosses will probably not allow it to kill the trigger enemy you have to use on your secret screen.

Scotian Gold
09-05-2005, 12:25 PM
But there aren't two bosses on the same level - the dungeon and the house are on one level (with one boss only) and the overworld is on another (with one boss only)

What does the Kill All Bosses flag do? If checked, does it prevent secrets from being triggered until all the bosses on a level are killed, if you create more than one?

Thanks,
Scotian Gold

Freedom
09-05-2005, 02:09 PM
kill all bosses kills the trigger enemy that must be used on the secret screen.
It goes by level number, if you kill the boss on level one dungeon, it trggers all the secrets set up with boss flags and trigger enemies on dmaps with level 1 selected.

IF you have say... 3 level 1 dmaps and a boss in 2 of them and a trigger enemy in the third, chances are if you kill 1 of the other bosses it will kill the other 2 if kill all bosses is selected, and if it's not selected then it won't kill them and the secrets won't trigger.
You also need to select enemies=secrets on the trigger screens.

Scotian Gold
09-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes, I have all of the flags setup correctly, as far as I can tell. And the only dungeon boss for level one (other than my trigger screen) is the one at the end of the first dungeon...well, your first dungeon, Freedom :D

But what I want to do doesn't seem to work very well anyways...I have a room with a Guy in it who says one thing before beating the boss and something else afterwards. To do this I put a secret warp tile at the door entrance (inside the house) where Link appears. But from my results, it seems that if you make Link appear on a warp tile, he won't automatically warp somewhere; he has to be moved onto it by the player. :(

Scotian Gold

Freedom
09-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Try direct warp, I think it's been changed to warp without movement in the 2.10.
otherwise put an insta warp right outside the house and another house screen

ZeldaLord
09-05-2005, 05:34 PM
But what I want to do doesn't seem to work very well anyways...I have a room with a Guy in it who says one thing before beating the boss and something else afterwards. To do this I put a secret warp tile at the door entrance (inside the house) where Link appears. But from my results, it seems that if you make Link appear on a warp tile, he won't automatically warp somewhere; he has to be moved onto it by the player. :(

That doesn't matter, when the player moves Link into the house it'll trigger the warp. It shouldn't be noticable as long as you set the warp type to insta-warp (I remember setting up something similar and this wasn't a problem).

Scotian Gold
09-05-2005, 08:44 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! (Or at least, worked around!!!)

Apparently, boss triggered secrets won't trigger in rooms with Guys in them. Maybe this is documented somewhere but either I forgot it or didn't see it. As soon as I got rid of the Guy, the triggers triggered. So now my insta-warp triggers to an identical room with a Guy.

Thanks for the input, although no one had suggested this solution...another point for me!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Scotian Gold

ZeldaLord
09-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh, sorry, I was thinking of the way I make people (by placing a warp in front of the person you can talk to, which takes you to an identical screen with the message).
What you said is correct, though, because ZC counts Guys as enemies (I believe this was added some time ago so that you could trigger events with a special item room type).