PDA

View Full Version : Latest Disappointment

Darth Marsden
09-01-2005, 02:15 PM
So what was your last gaming disappointment? You know, the game you thought was gonna be really good and turned out to be... well... not.

Mine was Prince of Persia : Warrior Within, but then everybody knows that. What I wanna know is what disappointed YOU. Come on, out with it.

Rainman
09-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Fable was a a major disappointment. It wasn't at all the game I thought it'd be. Graphics were less than amazing. Characters aged too quickly. My guy got scarred to hell. It wasn't as free-range and open-ended as I envisioned it. Dialogue was very repetitive. I played it furiously for a couple days, but stopped having fun with it very quickly. The most fun I had was the fighting mini-game they had.

Blonde799
09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Fable was also a dissapointment for me. This RPG was very lackluster. Characters aged too quickly. Weight was not visually represented. Relationships didn't mean very much. As a matter of fact, the gameplay was very linear. I could get both good and bad endings in 5 minutes, and they themselves were also dissapointing.

Another recent game I played that was a dissapointment for me was The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker. The art style was very unique, and it grew on me. What made me give up on it was the gameplay, it was just too easy. Puzzles were a slap in the face, bosses were basically just large minions that blocked your way, and the triforce quest was the last straw. That game needed a lot of improvement.

AlexMax
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Last major dissapointment? Doom 3, by far. Terrible game, especially when compared with the first two.

Last dissapointment period? Probably Guild Wars. Got very boring post-searing, and the PvP was terrible when you weren't in a decent group.

Glitch
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
I haven't allowed anything to disappoint me in quite a while, I really only play one game anymore. World of Warcraft :D

I played the Xmen rpg at a friend's house though, I thought that was kinda lame considering the expectations I had.

Daarkseid
09-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, the GBA ports of FF1 and 2.

FF2 is actually better in this game, since while it seems to lack the exploit that allows quick weapon and spell levels, getting those levels legitimately is only extremely tedious when trying to level something past 11 or 12.

The big dissappointment was 1, which contained far too many changes to make the game easier for players. I understand these were probably necessary to make the gameplay feasible amidst the conditions that portable game playing is using subject to; IE suddenly having to put the game away etc.

Levels are gained too quickly, and spells and equipment are cheap. You can also go beyond level 50, which wasn't in the original. I originally looked forward to the hidden dungeons, as they were supposedly a big challenge and had new equipment to find; Theres little challenge to be had in those dungeons it turned out, with nearly the same kind of monsters in each dungeon, regardless of the change in venue. Instead, those monsters give proportionally more XP compared to their actual difficulty, so it only takes two or three trips through the optional earth dungeon before you're too powerful for the game to be at all difficult. Also, the dungeons really have no real significance and provide only a headache, as there are a set number of floors to each dungeon, and exiting each floor takes you to a random floor. It just makes playing the dungeons not fun, especially when you're constantly attacked by a large number of crappy enemies.

I never actually finished my game either. It just left me wishing for an NES classics version of FF, since that would've preserved the game's difficulty. It was frustrating and took awhile at times, just getting enough levels and gold to move on, but it was worth it. It actually felt like an accomplishment, because of the work involved. FF1: Dawn of Souls only feels frustrating in the optional dungeons, and only because of the annoying map layout coupled with being attacked endlessly by wimpy worthless monsters.

I want an NES Classics FF! God damn Enix, they've succeeded in gutting Square.

Archibaldo
09-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I was pretty disappointed with Nintendogs. There's not really all that much to do in the game. Plus when people see you talking to your DS, they think you're crazy. So I traded it with a friend for a really awesome game called Sprung: A Game where everybody scores.

King Link
09-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Last dissapointment period? Probably Guild Wars. Got very boring post-searing, and the PvP was terrible when you weren't in a decent group.

Guild Wars. The game is decent, but sometimes, control can be horrid, and what annoys me most is the unbelievable amount of time it takes to level up. I'm just glad I haven't been shelling out a monthly toll.

Grasshopper
09-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Not really a game, but the Xbox 360 price disappointed me. I guess was expecting too much. :shrug: I was really psyched about it because I thought, what now we know is $400, would be $300. And that the free Live service would be an awesome deal.

Then I found out you don't get all the other stuff unless you pay $400, and the free Xbox Live only is for downloadable content. You still have to have the Gold service to be able to play online. :unhappy:

Oh well, on the plus side... for someone who doesn't have time to play games for hours on end (me), Nintendogs is pretty cute. :heart:

*b*
09-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Battle Network Five. it's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't as good as the others (except four. that one dosen't even count). it was too short, and the chip list is a bit smaller than the others. as I said, it's a great game, but it didn't quite live up to the expectations that the other games set

AlexMax
09-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Not really a game, but the Xbox 360 price disappointed me. I guess was expecting too much. :shrug: I was really psyched about it because I thought, what now we know is $400, would be $300. And that the free Live service would be an awesome deal.

Then I found out you don't get all the other stuff unless you pay $400, and the free Xbox Live only is for downloadable content. You still have to have the Gold service to be able to play online. :unhappy:

Oh well, on the plus side... for someone who doesn't have time to play games for hours on end (me), Nintendogs is pretty cute. :heart:

Please explain to me how you can be dissapointed by something that's not even out yet. There is nothing to BE dissapointed about, since, you know, it isn't actually out yet.

JimmyJ
09-03-2005, 12:32 AM
X-Box 360 is not out?? it is here :D

Grasshopper
09-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Please explain to me how you can be dissapointed by something that's not even out yet. There is nothing to BE dissapointed about, since, you know, it isn't actually out yet.

Why would I be like that? I said the price disappointed me. When they announced the price, I was disappointed, because I was expected the $400 bundle to cost $300. I never said I was disappointed with the system. The price is "out", the system isn't. :)

Darth Marsden
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
I'd like to chip in here and say I was VERY dissapointed in Worms 3D today. I put in a beautiful performance and I only got Silver. SILVER! Bah.

Rijuhn
09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
OMG, Mortal Kombat Deception is a total piece of crap for the GCN. I'm not sure about the Xbox and PS2 versions with the online play and whatever, but the GCN version is a let down. After playing Deadly Alliance I thought Deception would be a step up, but it was more like a leap off. Don't play it.

Darth Marsden
09-08-2005, 06:56 AM
OMG, Mortal Kombat Deception is a total piece of crap for the GCN. I'm not sure about the Xbox and PS2 versions with the online play and whatever, but the GCN version is a let down. After playing Deadly Alliance I thought Deception would be a step up, but it was more like a leap off. Don't play it. Well, we don't seem to be getting it in the UK, so I guess we're spared that.

Also, I played Scrapland today. In-ship battles are impossible! Your opponent just rushes off to grab health pick-ups before you can catch them up! It's so irritating, and ruins an otherwise pretty good game.