PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight On...

carrot red
09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
How would you feel about interviewing a different AGN member once a week and getting to know them better or getting to know more about them?

I came up with the idea of *An Interview With* series of threads which would be cool to implement.

About the interviews:
Interviews might be a good idea to get to know people of the community better. Each AGNer has the opportunity to ask each interviewee whatever they desire in the thread opened for that reason and named: Spotlight on *username*: Interview # 1, 2, 3...

The rules:
We start with the same 10 standard questions we agree on and ask to all interviewed members.
Whoever is being interviewed is to choose the next person to be interviewed, PM me their username so I could invite them and post the thread when and if they agree. (It would be advisable to pick three names at least.) You could pick people you don't know too well, (so that they have a chance in the spotlight,) or you could start by some of the *figures* you would like to know more about. This is open to all AGN members.

Here are some examples of standard questions to ask each interviewee as a start, to which you could add your own and that are open to modification before making them final.

-What are your phobias?

-What are your talents?

-If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

-What's your favorite holiday? What do you do on that holiday?

-What is one thing you would want to tell your AGN buddies about yourself that we wouldn't normally know?

-What kinds of books do you like to read? Do you have favorite author(s)?

-What's your most embarrassing moment?

-Which person, living or dead, do you most admire?

-If you could live at any time in the past or the future (but not in the present), which time period would you choose, and why?

-What's your worst habit?

Any thoughts, comments…?

Darth Marsden
09-01-2005, 02:01 PM
It sounds like an interesting idea. I'd certainly be curious to learn more about the faceless enities that roam the boards.

theplustwo
09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
I think it might be interesting, as long as you can find people willing to do it. It might be good to do it via AIM or something, so you get that spontaneous back and forth that good interviews have. If you just ask everyone the same questions a lot of the answers will probably be the same too.

Eckels
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Sounds good. Start that shit up.

I don't know about those questions though. Ask James Lipton what questions to ask.

Rainman
09-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Ask James Lipton what questions to ask.

lol "If heaven exists.... what would you like God to say when you arrive at the pearly gates?" Yeah, he knows how to ask some questions. :P

I think this'll be good. I'll be interested in SNOWCOCK's response.

moocow
09-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Sounds fun, let's do it.

Archibaldo
09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Sounds pretty neat. Who would be our first vict- er... member of honour?

PolygonX8
09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
It's a pretty good idea.

It's near exactly done the same way at another forum I visit every so often, but I believe in coincidences. :P It works out there, so no doubt it should do just as well here.

biggiy05
09-01-2005, 11:11 PM
I like it, it would be good to show the rest of the members what that member is really like and maybe change what they think of the member.

Any idea on who to do first?

Eckels
09-01-2005, 11:18 PM
it was carrot red's idea, she should get to decide.

Some Kinda Hate
09-01-2005, 11:20 PM
That'd would be really fun because I don't really know anyone on here except Dechipher (it's so weird calling him that :tongue: )

deathbyhokie
09-01-2005, 11:33 PM
That'd would be really fun because I don't really know anyone on here except Dechipher (it's so weird calling him that :tongue: )

then pick someone you don't know. or barely know, and get ot know them better

Gerudo
09-01-2005, 11:35 PM
i say breaker goes first ;) j/k

like the others have said, even though many of us have "known" eachother for years, it would give us a chance to further get to know the people we think we know.

excellent idea, red :)

Some Kinda Hate
09-01-2005, 11:35 PM
That's what I meant by it'd be fun, since he's the only one I know I could get to know a bunch of other people

Beldaran
09-01-2005, 11:39 PM
I want to play. Let's do "Inside the Poster's Studio". lol make it happen.

KingArthur
09-02-2005, 02:58 AM
it seems like a waste of time to me really... if people want others to know more about themselves they could post some sort of bio. if the idea is really that popular why not either create a subforum or bring back the member pages.

Amber
09-02-2005, 03:17 AM
I could almost swear that the "we're all family here" thread is being used this way already. The people who I want to know this stuff about me, do. The rest of them don't matter.

Great Warrior
09-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Great idea, carrot red. New members do not know a lot about old members even after reading their date of birth and names and favorites in the other thread. This would be a way to get a feel of the people old and new. The members who do not like it can decline the invitation if they get one, and no one would miss them. If you are not here to play you do not. We already know a side of some members by reading what they post in the topics that interest them. The rest will be fun to discover in the interviews.

Foxy
09-02-2005, 09:38 AM
I think it sounds like a great idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

*thumbsup*

theplustwo
09-02-2005, 11:19 AM
it seems like a waste of time to me really... if people want others to know more about themselves they could post some sort of bio. if the idea is really that popular why not either create a subforum or bring back the member pages.
The member pages never went away. They're at http://memberpages.atmaweapon.org .

KingArthur
09-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Yeah.. they are there, but they are dead, havent been updated in over a year

carrot red
09-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Let’s get a few things straight.

This is my thread idea, true. It means I post the Spotlight on… series if they work; however, the interviewees are not my choice. It means that I got to pick the first two, being Beldaran, who waived his right to choose a member to be interviewed, and ck, and that’s about it. The members to be interviewed from there on are picked by the last interviewed member who sends a list of three names. If none of the three accept, I have a list of volunteers (and you can still PM me anytime if you’re interested.) Needless to say you interview a member only once, so everyone should get their turn at one time or the other.

This is a thread. I ask the same questions to everyone as a start and the rest is up to you; so I don’t see how we might get the same answers everywhere. You could make it funny, witty or serious. Like I said, it’s up to you and to your questions. As long as it doesn’t turn into a flame war, (and I don’t see why that might happen,) all goes.

If you think it’s a waste of time, remember the threads title and don’t click on them. *Shrug* I don’t want to have the thought of wasting your precious time on my conscience.

If you figure you don’t want us to know anything about you more than what you have made public so far, so be it. Don’t play; I’m sure we will survive and chances are we might not be interested in finding anything about you in the first place.

I hope you’ll be a sport and ask anyone questions, not just the member you know and like. After all, the purpose of this thread is to find out different things about the people we already know (you might be surprised) and to get to meet people we don’t know that well maybe because they’re not so vocal and they usually read more than they express themselves.

Great Warrior
09-05-2005, 02:56 AM
may i suggest you do a "meet the staff" series at first and then pick yourself the members to be interviewed by following the alphabetical list of all the active members? this way people will know when their turn will come and accept or refuse to participate.

carrot red
09-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Not bad at all. I like this idea. Let me think it over.

Dechipher
09-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Or perhaps do it by join date, instead of alphabetical.

Do it by join date, form the earliest, to get all the older members, only get the ones that actually post. And are interested.

That's just an idea, of course.

Master Ghaleon
09-06-2005, 01:41 AM
I like the Idea ;)

Great Warrior
09-06-2005, 04:57 AM
you could run them simultaneously, the "meet the staff" and the "spotlight on" threads. don't let the idea die because it is very intersting and do them regularly.

carrot red
09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Or perhaps do it by join date, instead of alphabetical.

Do it by join date, form the earliest, to get all the older members, only get the ones that actually post. And are interested.
The problem with your suggestion is that there is no list that goes by join date, not that I know of anyway. (And it would be a huge task to undertake, one taking months at least, that is if you have something to do outside of AGN.) If I go by alphabetical order, all I have to do is open the members list and pick all those who post in GD alphabetically. If I miss someone, I'm sure I could count on someone to remind me. And I said those who post in GD, because if they don't post here, chances are they won't read and reply to the questions...

Thank you for the suggestion anyway. All ideas are still welcome. : )

Saffith
09-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Even if you don't plan to use it, you should be aware that there is a list by join date available. On the member list page, click "Join Date" at the top of that column, and it'll arrange the list from those who joined earliest to those who joined most recently.

carrot red
09-11-2005, 02:48 PM
This is just to let you know the *Spotlight On...* idea is not dead. We're working on something new, so I can't interview ck next. I still haven't decided which mode to use for the members. I might start using the *volunteers* come Monday until I come up with something definite and final.

Darth Marsden
09-11-2005, 03:54 PM
This is just to let you know the *Spotlight On...* idea is not dead. We're working on something new, so I can't interview ck next. I still haven't decided which mode to use for the members. I might start using the *volunteers* come Monday until I come up with something definite and final.Do we get a look at the list of volunteers. or do you just pick me at random ;)

carrot red
09-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't do things like that at random, DM. People sent PMs and volunteered to be interviewed (or if I knew them personally, we discussed it, as in Beldaran and deathbyhokie.) I'll go by the first volunteer I got. I don't remember you sending me a PM.

Master Ghaleon
09-11-2005, 08:07 PM
We should get a PM from you to let us know that we are on the clock ;) (I dont think that idea has come up)

carrot red
09-12-2005, 02:17 PM
A PM will be sent. We'd need to coordinate a few things and exchange informations before a thread is posted.