PDA

View Full Version : Another Gas Price thread - thx 2 Katrina

DarkPanther
08-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Just got informed as of midnight tonight, gas is going up $0.60/gallon here placing 87 grade at approx. $3.169/gallon.

Yowza.

Just filled up my truck and car. And it looks like I'll be taking my bike to work for a while. ;p

Prrkitty
08-29-2005, 11:19 PM
I watched news tonight but nothing was said about any of the oil rigs in the Gulf taking damage. Has anyone heard anything about them specifically yet?

Dark Knight
08-29-2005, 11:27 PM
They had to shut the rigs down and evactuate them. I'm not sure if any were damaged.

deathbyhokie
08-29-2005, 11:27 PM
I watched news tonight but nothing was said about any of the oil rigs in the Gulf taking damage. Has anyone heard anything about them specifically yet?

i heard at least one snapped and was stuck under a bridge.

i thin the big problem is the refineries, not the rigs. there's no one to work there, and no real way to transport the oil out at the moment.

Prrkitty
08-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks DK and hokie...

Must of been one hell of a hurricane for a oil rig to snap and get stuck under a bridge. Lately it seems we're having a lot of strong hurricanes.

I'm glad I'm on the west coast and not the east coast anymore :)

Glitch
08-30-2005, 02:08 AM
The big part is not the rigs, it's the harbor that all the the imported oil come in at. Which surprising enought happens to be right in the path of the hurricane.

Lets look at the facts here:

We can't drill it right now
Can't refine it right now
Can't have it imported right now

Yep. We're fucked.

DarkPanther
08-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Doesn't appear any of the prices have changed yet, but a local said supply and demand is not balanced out here or something, and our gas stations wait until the last minute to even order another tank....

....which could make for an even more marginal jump for my county in the near future.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-30-2005, 09:12 PM
It's already around 3.00 aroudn chicago, another jump and I'll be PO'd as hell.

Kevin
08-30-2005, 10:18 PM
This was truly a wake up call. If gas is going to rise this much in such a short time span, we really can't afford another like this next year.

moocow
08-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Gas went up about $.10 since yesterday, at least here it did. Or, at the gas station that I seem to pay attention to the MOST did. My manager heard it was going up to 2.75 soon, then up to 3 by Friday.

I also thought I heard that Bush was going to open the oils reserves, too? I dunno, could be mistaken.

Not that it matters how much gas is. Regardless, we're going to need it. Gas, to me, is much like baby formula. Doesn't matter how much it is, you're going to need it no matter what. I pretty much just stopped looking at the prices until recently...

Orion
08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
I wonder where the breaking point is gunna be, where people simply can't afford to drive to work anymore. They don't make money, they don't buy things, busineses lose money, etc. I still can't believe it's risen almost a dollar in less than two months here. Crazy.

We are going to have to find a way to live without it though. There isn't enough oil in the world to make gas. At the rate we consume it, we won't have any in around 30 years (I give it about a century, but I'm being optimistic).

DarkPanther
08-31-2005, 08:31 AM
First jump started today.

From $2.66 to $2.79 overnight.

By the weekend, $3.00 at least is expected for 87. They're already rationing gas in Orlando. Something like 15 gallons per person.

Shadowblazer
08-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Gas has gone from $2.54 to $2.87 around here within the past few days. I'm glad I only live a half mile from work.

SixTen
08-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Where the hell do you all live? Gas has been about $2.82 for some time here in central PA. I hope it doesn't go up too much. It's already expensive as all hell. Oh how I miss the days when we had it $1.50 per gallon.

moocow
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Oh how I miss the days when we had it $1.50 per gallon.

Gas was .99 a gallon when I first got my license... like... 4 years ago :p

Prrkitty
08-31-2005, 02:19 PM
When I first got my license (1974) gas was something like 40-50 cents a gallon. Wish it was still that cheap....

Ibis, God of Magicks
08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
When I turned 16 and got my liscence, gas was like $0.88 a gallon. Today, it jumped like 15 cents to 2.79. It's crazy. I know alot of you are like, 2.79? That's still pretty cheap, I live near carmel church, exit 110 of 95, which is usually the cheapest gas price in the nation. At that exit, there are 4 truck stops and 7 gas stations within a mile. So, when it is this high here, I can't image what it is in like CA or MA.

Also, I heard that Hawaii is refusing to raise its gas prices.

Spiffy Enigma
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if gas jumped up to $5-6 a gallon by the end of the year, at ther rate we're going now. There were a couple of gas stations around my area that were up to $3.55 a gallon. However, what really burns me up is that the common folk they interview in all the news articles are all incredibly rich and well-to-do type people, as they don't seem the least bit worried about the situation at hand (albeit slightly frustrated). The articles never say anything about some of the other people in this country (myself included) who could potentially face homelessness due to gas prices. Just my two cents on the topic at hand.

Shadowblazer
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't know what it's like where the rest of you are, but I've been getting reports from a lot of people that gas stations all over Western North Carolina are running out of gas, and those that haven't yet are rationing people to 5 gallons. I'm thinking this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Machiavelli
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
It's around 3 dollars a gallon around here. I don't drive but it still sucks.

And on a completely unrelated note: Ibis, This (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Makaveli89/37f56d22.jpg) is for you. Don't take offense, though. I was just bored so I figured 'why not...' and took it to photoshop. :D

fatcatfan
08-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I filled up for $2.699 this morning on the way to work. Same station, at the end of the workday, $3.099

Orion
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
I just saw gas for $3.49 a gallon. It was $2.79 a gallon last night. I have a hard time believing that the hurricane can affect prices that quickly. Most gas stations that I know of don't go through their supply of gas in 3 days, thus, the supply shouldn't have been effected yet. The suppliers seem to be raising the prices just because they have an excuse to.

AtmaWeapon
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Actually I think it has something to do with the following two factors, both have the same root cause:

One of the nation's most important ports is currently closed for an unknown amount of time. Offshore oil rigs had to shut down and are currently repairing any damage, thus decreasing our already low supply of domestic oil.

Add to this list that Iran is putting a squeeze on supply because we won't let them start a nuclear program and you have a market ripe for gouging.

Perhaps it would be time for us to convert to alternative fuel sources?

Shadowblazer
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Solar-powered car, here I come! I might be puttering around at 10 miles per hour, but at least I'll have enough money to feed my family.

Spiffy Enigma
08-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Perhaps it would be time for us to convert to alternative fuel sources?

Yeah. I really wish we could switch to ethanol, which, unlike oil, is an infinite resource (It comes from corn), and from what I've heard, it's better for the environment. Of course, the big oil companies won't let us use it, for reasons I can understand, but still.....

According to someone my dad talked to (who apparently runs a gas station a few miles from where I live), it's supposed to go up to over $4 a gallon tomorrow. Thankfully, my car has a full tank of gas right now, so maybe I won't have to suffer through this phase, but we'll see.

Trusso
08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
I always buy the 10% ethanol added gas, but then again I live somewhat close to an ethanol plant. So I'm thinking that it may just not be avaible at the gas station you go to. In Northeast MO, gas is 2.91 a gallon, thats up about 45 cents in 2 days.

AtmaWeapon
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
No I'm not talking about 10% ethanol added, I'm talking about 100% ethanol. It can be produced from corn, a resource we are currently paying farmers not to grow to avoid a surplus. I'm not certain if we could grow enough corn to replace gas entirely as a fuel source, but if we could even reduce our gasoline usage by 25% we'd be doing better.

The only major reason against converting I can see is the widespread loss of jobs a decrease in the oil industry would cause. In the end, I think it is the lesser of two evils, though I'd feel a crunch since my dad works in the oil industry.

moocow
08-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh hey, gas is $3.09 a gallon here, now. I left work at 8:45 this morning to fill up while it was still $2.68.... Went to lunch at noon and BAM! It was $3.09. Thank God for reliable sources, or I would have had to fill up at lunch...

Eckels
08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
No I'm not talking about 10% ethanol added, I'm talking about 100% ethanol. It can be produced from corn, a resource we are currently paying farmers not to grow to avoid a surplus. I'm not certain if we could grow enough corn to replace gas entirely as a fuel source, but if we could even reduce our gasoline usage by 25% we'd be doing better.

The only major reason against converting I can see is the widespread loss of jobs a decrease in the oil industry would cause. In the end, I think it is the lesser of two evils, though I'd feel a crunch since my dad works in the oil industry.

know what 100% ethanol smells like when burned? french fries.

Orion
08-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Ethanol smells like a lot of things when it's burned. I live 2 blocks away from one. However, at the station, E85 is about $2.00/gallon (before this huge jump), but I heard that cars that use ethanol dont get very good gas mileage at all.

Prrkitty
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I was just watching National News and they showed a gas station in Atlanta, Georgia with the following gas prices --- Regular $5.87 a gallon... Supreme $6.07 a gallon.

Guess the next few months are going to be interesting... as far as gas prices go.
<sigh>

MottZilla
09-01-2005, 03:31 AM
The increase in gasoline prices are because of increased demand and decreased supply. And the people that price the fuel are as fidgity as the people in the stock market. While it's surely partly the fault of oil companies lining their pockets, it's also because of the huge demand for oil. Don't worry though, when the middle class starts going under, and there is just the poor and the rich, we can have a revolution where we hunt down and kill the rich people that made all the money off of oil and such. Buy your ammunition while you can afford it!

KJAZZ
09-01-2005, 04:16 AM
You have your gun yet, Mott? :waggle: