PDA

View Full Version : Video Card / Monitor Problems.

Ares[K!]
08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Just bought a EVGA GeForce 6800GT.

I'm having problems with my monitor + this card. I'm getting a blue tint w. my 19" LCD (IE No Red Channel) and I dont know whats wrong. But the lil old 15" CRT displays no tint.

What I've done.

19" :
Blue tint on the GeForce 6800.
No tinting on the GeForce 5700 I pulled out.
No tinting on the other machine. Has a GeForce 5500.

The 15" has no blue tinting on the GF6800 or the GF5500.

Any one have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Beldaran
08-26-2005, 11:14 PM
What brand of LCD monitor is it?

EDIT:

Also, some steps you can take:

1) Make sure you have the most up to date drivers for your card. I once had a rediculous problem with my leadtek card, but after getting nVidia's latest drivers, it went away.

2) After installing the 6800 card and booting your machine up, go to your desktop properties and go to the "Settings" tab and click on the "Advanced" button. A new tabbed dialog opens and one of them should say "GeForce" or" nVidia" or "EVGA" or something. Click on that one. There should be a wide range of options for manipulating and configuring your video system. This is true of my video card. It uses software called NView. I assume that NView is an nVidia thing, and that it comes with the EVGA card as well, since EVGA makes nVidia technology. There is a color correction option on my menu that allows me to adjust the color channels and tints. You might see if this is available on yours as well.

Ares[K!]
08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Sony SDM-HS94P

Hooked up the S-Video out to the TV, I get a red channel there. at cost of resolution and blurriness

Its seems to be only this Monitor / Video Card Combination.

(Edit to avoid dbl post =)

I have the newest ones. 77.77

Also, on this monitor I'm not getting the red channel from bios to windows... the red color correction does nothing for this ><

On the other side of it, I've tried to use the VGA -> DVI converter that hooks from the Card DVI Output to the monitors VGA cord. No success there either

Saffith
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
The first thing that occurs to me is that the problem is that the cable might be damaged. That frequently does stuff like that. Is one of the pins bent or broken, maybe?
Odd that it's only with that card, though. I can't imagine it would be some sort of compatibility problem...

Beldaran
08-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Here's (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40652) an interesting thread in which the very last post states that he had a problem with bad blue tint such that he thought his monitor was damaged, but it turned out to be a power problem. He upped the AGP voltage in the BIOS and got a new power supply and the problem was gone.

It could be that your new card is overtaxing your powersupply. You might want to look into that. This guys problem (and solution) sounds very similair to the symptoms you describe. I would bet your monitor is not damaged, since it seems to work fine with the 5700 card. Power issues sound like a good place to investigate.

EDIT:

I found another thread (http://www.techsupportforum.com/archive/index.php/t-55640.html) in which the symptoms very closely mirrored yours, although the setup was a bit different. It didn't involve an EVGA brand card or a 6800, and there was an onboard video.

The problem turned out to be a bent pin and a broken pin. This supports what Saffith said.

Ares[K!]
08-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Ok, but that doesnt explain why i get a red channel on the 15" CRT and not this LCD though =/
I see what you're saying in terms of power =)

Videocard has its own Plug (IE not shared w. any of the 3HDDS, DVD, DVD/RW, 7Card Reader/Floppy)

Exact Specs of my Computer: (powersupply: 430W)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883102621

Plus 2 Maxtor 80gig HDD's

EDIT:
On the Pin theory... I checked... None.
On the other computers this monitor had a red channel.

Beldaran
08-26-2005, 11:59 PM
bah, that sucks. The best I can think of is like you said, it's just some invisible interaction between the video card and monitor that is screwing things up.:(

Wish I could be of more help.

Ares[K!]
08-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I figured I put enough time into trouble shooting it, I'm just gonna send it back.