PDA

View Full Version : College!

Rainman
08-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I haven't been posting a lot lately because of WoW. Anyway I'm now at the University of Pittsburgh campus and fairly settled in. My main goal this year is to actually live the college experience instead of boarding myself up in my room. One way or another I've gotta get out and actually live life. I live three floor away from my brother and he's forced to come up here to use our computer because we were unable to secure enough funds to buy another one. We're gonna work on that. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one going to college...

Beldaran
08-26-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't start until january. :( (transfer student, Baylor University)

Don't live too much of the life. Make sure you get good grades and learn a lot, especially on your own. But have fun too. :)

See if you can get access to one of the science lecture halls after hours. My friend and I used to do that and we'd plug our console systems into the projector and play video games on something like a ten foot wide screen. It was bad ass.

King Link
08-26-2005, 10:44 PM
noperz. i am too (second year now) but i don't live on campus. anyways, it's an awesome experience for me, lots of great people and friends. so yeah, i'm enjoying it.

plus, it's a much more laid back atmosphere in comparison to high school, and much more preferable.

Cloral
08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
You gotta enjoy your college experience to the fullest. There's so much fun to be had. Make sure you get out and party every weekend. Just don't be stupid about it - for instance, don't party on a Wednesday. As long as you avoid showing up to class hung over, you should be fine. Also remember that it isn't just about partying, there are lots of other fun things to do.

Saffith
08-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Bah. Reclusion is totally where it's at.

I'm starting my fifth year now. Between transferring and curriculum changes, I kinda got screwed.
It's not so bad. It's fairly enjoyable here, by school standards. I just wish my room were about a foot wider.

Beldaran
08-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Bah. Reclusion is totally where it's at.

I am with you on this one. :blackmage

I really don't go anywhere unless it's forced, like work or class. I like to see the ocassional movie, and I enjoy getting physical excercise outdoors (riding my bike, running), but that's it. Other than that, it's to the deep, dark cave with me! :clap:

Fiyerstorm
08-27-2005, 02:05 AM
I just finished my first week of college. I hate it.

Lilith
08-27-2005, 02:19 AM
You gotta enjoy your college experience to the fullest. There's so much fun to be had. Make sure you get out and party every weekend.

Now see, that's the attitude that pisses me off; when people associate college with boozing ("partying") and such otherwise it's OMG NOT THE FULL COLLEGE EXPERIENCE. I hate to yell you this, but a lot of people don't have the money to live that way. And not everyone finds it nessescary to go through a "moronic drinking binge" stage anyway. It just seems to be a huge media thing. The truth is, everyone's college experiences are different. A lot of people don't have the highly-valued puking-and-STDs-stage.

Glitch
08-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Now see, that's the attitude that pisses me off; when people associate college with boozing ("partying") and such otherwise it's OMG NOT THE FULL COLLEGE EXPERIENCE. I hate to yell you this, but a lot of people don't have the money to live that way. And not everyone finds it nessescary to go through a "moronic drinking binge" stage anyway. It just seems to be a huge media thing. The truth is, everyone's college experiences are different. A lot of people don't have the highly-valued puking-and-STDs-stage.

He never said that. There is a difference between casual drinking and drinking-so-much-you-blackout. And the College experience is enjoying your time there and having fond memories, and each person does that different. You make your own college experience.

Darth Marsden
08-27-2005, 06:28 AM
I went to two different collages. I spent a year at Worthing College, which I failed spectacularly, and then I tried Chichester College, which was much more what I wanted to do (BTEC National Diploma in Computing). I never had the typical college lifestyle, I was still living at home and taking the bus in, as well as not being much of a drinker, but it was fun in it's own little way. Just don't talk to me about University... ugh.

Ibis, God of Magicks
08-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Thank you.

I work full time and go to school time, there isn't a day in the week where I don't do one or the other, so I don't have the luxury of partying or going out.

People always talk about the college experience and it really pisses me off, if your one of the people lucky enough to not have to work and go to school, why do you piss it away?

If I had someone paying for all my shit I'd take on a larger course load and devote more time to class, not getting plastered every weekend and searching the campus for tonight's one night stand.

vegeta1215
08-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Good for you Rainman. I didn't get out much my first two years of college and had trouble making friends, but that all changed once I started joining some clubs and after I became an RA. Be sure to join some clubs so you can do the same!

I'm starting my last semester of grad school in a few weeks. It's way different than my undergrad school - plus I commute now instead of living on campus.

Cloral
08-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Gah, I'm not saying you should experience your whole time in a drunken haze. I'm saying you need to get out and enjoy your time at college. It sounds like such a cliche, but it's over before you know it - and then you have to be an adult. You don't have to party, but at least give it a try. I used to be the sort that was a real tight-ass about things. I used to say, "I don't need alcohol, I'm better than that." But I learned at college that you can have a hell of a lot more fun if you open up a bit and just let yourself enjoy things. It doesn't have to be partying, it can be sports, or even just hanging out with people. No matter what sort you are, there are others there who enjoy the same things as you, so be sure to go find them.

Beldaran
08-27-2005, 02:58 PM
And for those of you who don't know, Cloral isn't some drunk off his ass frat boy business man who has one of those pretend jobs that pays $200,000 a year, but doesn't require you to know anything besides how to scmooze the boss and pick up chicks. As far as I know, he's a professional game programmer in southern California. So he must have done some studying during college.

Lilith
08-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, I wasn't specifically slamming you Cloral, I was just slamming the idea :X

Cloral
08-27-2005, 04:17 PM
No worries, I just realized that my first post might have been a bit misleading because I did basically say 'party all the time'. And yes I did study and do my projects. I guess in some respects I overexaggerate how much partying I did. I partied a lot Freshman year, but by Softmore year I was kinda over it and cut back a lot. By junior year I would usually just go to a friend's place and we would knock back a couple beers and just hang out. I guess once the newness of the alcohol wore off I dealt with it in a much more responsible way.
Also I had friends that did party a lot more than I did and it caused problems for many of them. One ended up getting kicked out of the school (although to be honest I don't think he was that bright to begin with). Another ended up on the floor in the hallway right outside my room with a cop holding a gun to the back of his head. He had been smoking pot in some room when a cop showed up. Everyone scattered, but the cop happened to follow after him. He was a brighter guy and remained in school, but that time he let the drugs get the better of him. That is another piece of advice I must give - if you are ever caught, cooperate. They usually don't go to hard on first offenders, and if you cooperate, they'll take that into consideration. Besides, do you really want someone holding a gun to the back of your head?

So, first and foremost, be responsible. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun too. College is a great time to try new things, and that doesn't have to mean drugs or alcohol.

Beldaran
08-27-2005, 05:06 PM
College is a great time to try new things, and that doesn't have to mean drugs or alcohol.

For instance, I'm in college and I'm in the process of switching to Linux (almost)full time! :) You might say, I'm experimenting... hehe :laughing:

carrot red
08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Good luck on experiencing life on campus, Rainman. Live, enjoy yourself, study, get good grades and graduate. Moderation is the key word.

Rainman
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
There's no way that I'm going to turn into some drunken party animal. When I said the college experience I didn't mean the fratboy kind. I probably will join a club, but I didn't see much last year that I was interested in. There's plenty of religious groups that I definitely wouldn't fit into. I don't fit squarely into most of the social groups around campus. Most geeks are too geeky and most other people are not geeky enough. Of course it's likely that I'll find many people like me in the computer engineering classes. I wouldn't mind going to parties, but I've only been to a couple in my life and they were a little... awkward.