PDA

View Full Version : Preferred FPS Skill?

ShadowTiger
08-26-2005, 06:09 PM
When you're playing First Person Shooter games, which role do you beleive you either fit the best, or prefer to play?

EDIT:
It's a multiple choice poll, by the way. :p Feel free to select anything that you really enjoy doing.

Soldier: The standard fighting machine. No special attributes, but few weaknesses either. There's little you don't do. (Though you don't excel in much either.) (The first real "I can't decide" category.)

Scout: You Are FAST. But you're weak. You like to make hit and run attacks on the enemy and retreat to safe ground. Maybe you camp too.

Heavy Weapons Guy: Nobody knocks you down. You like to run into combat and gun everyone down before they gun you down. You do whatever it takes to do it too.

Demolitionist: Boom. You love to blow thiings up. You're an expert in grenade physics, and nobody can match your accuracy with a bazooka. People wet their pants when you get a heatseeker.

Medic: You like to stay behind and make sure that your team survives. You suck in combat, but you can juggle hypodermics needles. You're the healer. 'nuff said.

Engineer: You tear down doors that the Demolitionist can't scratch. You also set up turrets for tactical situations. You're the "sneaky" one that doesn't like firefights.

Sniper: You're cool. You're smooth. You've got a gun which can pierce your foe's forehead from a mile away. You're an expert with such firearms, and are an excellent shot. You're not a heated firefight guy though; not always.

Commander: You prefer to lead your teammates through the most intense of situations, and tend to do it unscathed. People rely on your wits in combat.

Other: ... Um ... Describe. :p :rolleyes:

Masamune
08-26-2005, 06:29 PM
During games like Halo and UT2k4, I've always been the one to either run in with a somewhat large gun and blow everyone to hell while coming out virtually untouched. That or I'll stay back behind a rock or something and sniple people. -_-

Rijuhn
08-26-2005, 07:43 PM
In FPS games I'm always...

The Noob: You suck at most everything you do. You're usually the last person to collect weapons, and you tend to die first. You have no sense of direction most of the time because you're playing a new map and still need to get acustomed to your surroundings. Don't feel bad though, admins kick you from the server before you really get to show them how much of a noob you really are.

EDIT: I'm going to go play CT now. Wish me luck. :D

bigjoe
08-26-2005, 08:20 PM
This makes me want to play Team Fortress Classic.:mad:

stupid dial up.

Oh yeah, Im the Heavy Weapons Guy.

VT_Hokie_Fan
08-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Me too. Too much Ut and Time Splitters has ruined any sence of stealth or strategy I ever had. Serious Sam probably effected that too.

Maybe that's why I suck at Counter Strike...

Grasshopper
08-26-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm the "Auto-Assign" :)

Kevin
08-26-2005, 11:54 PM
I prefer to just help out my teammates with whatever needs helping. If they are in trouble I step in to give them a hand.

Sometimes I lead my team. It's usually when the players are younger than me/aren't as good. Although, I like it more to have a leader who is good.

Darth Marsden
08-27-2005, 06:40 AM
I don't play online, so this sort of list is wasted on me. However, in Single Player games, I am a force to be reckoned with. I am a Soldier, charging in, hiding behind cover, taking stock of where the bullets are coming from, and taking out my opponents with a variety of methods. When I get my hands on a sniper rifle, I am a Sniper. Taking deadly aim, striking out, killing with one shot. When I get a shotgun, I am a suicide bomber. I will run up to an enemy and pump him full of lead, little caring about who else is around. I may well die, but nothing beats the satisfaction of blowing an enemy across the room or turning him into meaty giblets with one shot.

I am skilled. I am insane. I am... Darth Marsden.

MacWeirdo42
08-27-2005, 11:17 AM
I go with either soldier or scout. Depends on the game. If it's something like Team Fortress, I don't even want to bother with killing, just focus on capturing the flag. If otherwise, I still don't like to stay in one place, constantly running around and whatnot. That's my strategy in Counter-Strike... Can't stand camping, always get too restless, often I'll be the first to charge off into enemy fire.

laughing1989
08-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I've been most. It just depends on the weapon setup. I'm pretty good with the sword on Halo 2, especially when I have a sniper rifle as my secondary weapon. I've learned the grenade physics on Halo 2 as well, so corner kills are pretty easy. However, I'm not good at getting direct hits with a rocket launcher, but I still get kills with it (especially against vehicles)
I rule the Scorpian Tank... it appears my friends just can't understand the little messages that pop up and allow you to throw a grenade in the cockpit.
In Timesplitters 2 and 3, I know how to dodge the homing rocket launcher, because the physics kinda suck on those games. On 3, I use the baseball bat often. Its so fun to run up to someone blasting you with a machine gun and whop them over the head once to kill them. On 2, I use two machine guns to get the job done. They can zoom in which makes the killins so easy.
I was pretty good at Red Faction, but I never really tested my skills because most of the time I was blowing caves open. On the sequel, I always use the nano-sniper rifle, because you can tap the trigger fast enough to resemble a full-auto weapon, which is hilarious because it does a crapload of damage. I also like the rocket launcher on the second one, because its fun to kill people while bouncing on one of those jumping-lift things. The rockets look funny going forward while I keep going up, and when the message appears that I killed someone, I always grin.
In Unreal T. 2004, flak cannon'd. 'Nuff said about that, but I still like to use the biorifle. Most people I know think that it sucks, but I seem to get the trajectory just right to get a direct hit with a full load everytime I shoot.

I guess I play too many games. :shrug:

I guess my favorite is this one, but I'm not usually it:

The Juggernaut: You get a strange push in your skills every time you pull the trigger, owning everyone in the map even with the weakest of weapons. You confuse the hell out of your opponents, which also adds to your advantage. You seem to be one with your arsenal, owning rocket-wielding players with a handgun and a grin on your face. When you die, you come back and kill everyone five to ten times as punishment for their blasphemy. When all is said and done, all of your opponents have a negative score, and you are the only one to reach the goal.

I do this every once in a while, but I'm not super-skilled or anything. I guess its just a stroke of luck that this happens to people, and it really pisses off the opponents getting stomped. I don't know why it happens, and I can't explain it, but I know it happens all the time. Guess its just a mystery of the programming. :p

Dark Entity
08-27-2005, 01:52 PM
The Tactician:

You are the master of the map, always on the move, and never in the same place. You can read and predict other players, and find just the place to pick them off with what ever you have, a sniper rifle, a pistol, or even a grenade from halfway across the map. You are extremely cautious, watching the movements of all your enemy players, and keeping track of where your allies are. You're the last person that would get backed into a corner. In melee combat, you're brutal. Dodging the first shot from your foe, and then returning with a precise shotgun blast to the upper torso, you rarely are defeated. You don't like to camp for too long, but you know and use its strengths and are aware of its weaknesses.

Unfortunately for you, you get so good at any one scenario, that when you move on to a new map or a new game, you've got to get your footing, and you end up getting killed quite a bit.