PDA

View Full Version : Help: Talking to NPCS using A button

Scotian Gold
08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Bom dia, companheiros!

I would like to have conversations start with NPCs in the typical RPG way - that is, nothing happens until you press A to 'talk' with them. Can this be done?

Thanks,

Scotian Gold

Freedom
08-26-2005, 01:59 PM
not really, but you can hide a warp tile (direct warp) at their feet so link has to walk up to them, where he is instantly tranfered to an indentical screen that does the actual talking.

Zelda_Warrior
08-26-2005, 04:06 PM
You could actually do this.

Set up a regular NPC. (Like when you walk up to them you talk to them.)

Now, make a new combo. Make the tile look like the ground in front of the NPC. Make sure it is fully walkable on. The combo must be set to 'bush'.

Now, set the undercombo to a tile with the combo of '-' (Nothing) And make it fully walkable, and the tile should be the same as the combo with the bush graphic.

Now, what this will do, is if the player has the sword, if they hit the 'a' button (Aka the sword-use button.) it will secretly 'cut' the hidden bush, and change the combo, so it will make you have to hit the 'a' button in order to talk to them, the good things about this is that it acheives the right effect, is easy to set up, and also, when you are done talking to the NPC, you can talk to them an infinite number of times.

The bad thing is that it will look like you are slashing them, and you also must have a sword to do it, Although if you start with a sword in your quest using the intizilation data it's not a problem about having to have a sword in order to talk to anybody, but more the fact that it looks like you are trying to kill them -_-

I don't think this has been done before.

DeFray
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey, folks. Some of you might remember me. I'm back, at least for a while.

Zelda_Warrior, I don't think I know what you're talking about with the bush thing. You must know something I don't about bush combos.

Scotian Gold, another way to do this that is similar to Zelda_Warrior's but a bit more complicated would be to put a "slash" flag on the ground right in front of or on top of the NPC, and then cover the rest of the ground with secret combo flags. Then set up all of these flags to turn into "direct warp" combos that lead to a new screen, identical to the old one, like Freedom suggested. Then set up your NPC and string to play in the second room (the one Link is warped to).

Did that make sense?