PDA

View Full Version : combining more than one combo table

demonvash08
08-25-2005, 04:33 PM
i downloaded some tilesets. problem is, i like them both. how, or is it possible, to combine both tilesets? i think it is probably not possible but i would really like it if i could. the two are pure and descendant tilesets
thanks

Freedom
08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
It is very time consuming to join those two because the palettes are very different.
I've been working with what started as decendant about 3-4 years ago, and have added a zillion tiles.
want my tileset?
the one I can give you is pre-Tortuga and after Swansong, but during Search for Elise.
so it would save you a lot of work.
I released it while I was building Search for Elise.

demonvash08
08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
O MY GOSH YOU WOULD DO THAT :odd: ! that would be great. i really wanted to ask you but i was afraid to. can you email them to me? my email is [email protected] i wont take ne credit for you tiles. thanks in advance :D

EDIT: btw i just started playing tortuga and i'm wondering where you get the sword?! i've looked everywhere. it's probably simple i've just been to busy to figure it out.

Freedom
08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
the sword is in a cave right behind the fairy one screen up from the start.

I'll edit this post with an address to the tileset, it will be in qst format so make you an extra copy to stash somewhere else, and then just build your quest right in the qst file.
If you have any problems with tiles for link or items let me know and I'll dig them up for you, like check the slash tiles for one, at some point I changed them from the wrong to the right ones, and don't remember exactly when.

demonvash08
08-25-2005, 05:00 PM
when you say post an address to the tileset, do you mean you have this tile set open to the public?

Freedom
08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
well... sorta, I released it with some answers to questions ask by Ielen, it has screens showing how to do an over-under bridge and how to stop rain using the whistle.

it's at Elise's site where my quests are hosted.
look here;
http://www.zeldaclassicforum.com/showpost.php?p=1506&postcount=18

demonvash08
08-25-2005, 05:07 PM
thank you so much
. this will be a tremendous boost in my progress!!!!!

Freedom
08-25-2005, 05:16 PM
It's got a lot of nice tiles, and some not so nice ;)
anyway you're welcome :)

Zelda Master
08-25-2005, 05:27 PM
hey freedom can you give me those tiles? i can't find them on that site.:(

demonvash08
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
0_o wow. i just looked through them all. i love how you organized them. it would be very hard if they wern't. one problem how do you manage going through that many pages just to get what you want?!?!? i mean if i want a mountain and then i want to add some water it would take me like 3 minutes of just clicking to get to the water!! lol not literally but still. how would you get ne thing done if half the time your searching for the right tiles??

EDIT: can you give me some tips on how you work and to make screens quickly?

Freedom
08-25-2005, 05:36 PM
To scroll trough combos while building there are 3 ways,
mouse scroll.
holding down shift and pressing page down,
holding down Ctrl and pressing page down.
holding down ctrl makes it fly through combos.

after using it a short while you remember about where everything is, like water down by sprites and grass up at the top etc.
you can get pretty fast with it.

in the works in the new betas they are talking about placesettings which will help a lot.

Zelda master,
just click on that link to that one page and download the attachment ;)

That set is really limited with the way the palettes are, the only palettes that really work out right are 5, 6, and 9.
once you get a firm understanding of palettes I'll give you some stuff I have here that really smokes, but they wouldn't do you much good until you get to the point you can build new palettes for every situation.

demonvash08
08-25-2005, 05:39 PM
NICE TIP. now my finger doesnt have to bear ne more pain lol

Freedom
08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
I looked in that qst file, it doesn't have the new "slash" tiles,
here they are.
http://www.filespace.org.nyud.net:8090/Freedom/slashtiles.gif

Zelda Master
08-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I looked in that qst file, it doesn't have the new "slash" tiles,
here they are.
http://www.filespace.org.nyud.net:8090/Freedom/slashtiles.gif
i'm pretty good with palletes, can i have the "smoking tiles"?

Freedom
08-25-2005, 07:49 PM
They're all ripped from Minish cap, in order to use them right you'd have to really know palettes and layering well because they will demand that you build palettes around them.
I haven't really got them organized for any kind of release yet.
I started a quest right after I released Tortuga which is where they all are.
they won't work at all in the qst file I just gave you, the palettes are completely different, not one color would line up with the palettes in that qst file.

I'll be releasing them at some point in the future.

Zelda Master
08-25-2005, 08:55 PM
They're all ripped from Minish cap, in order to use them right you'd have to really know palettes and layering well because they will demand that you build palettes around them.
I haven't really got them organized for any kind of release yet.
I started a quest right after I released Tortuga which is where they all are.
they won't work at all in the qst file I just gave you, the palettes are completely different, not one color would line up with the palettes in that qst file.

I'll be releasing them at some point in the future.
I'm good at layers, and i know how to work with a pallete, so i think i can use them.

Freedom
08-25-2005, 09:02 PM
You just told me a while ago you couldn't use layers ;)
I'll release them in time, you got a quest that I can see some of your work in?
maybe I can learn something from you.
I'd be pissed if they ended up in some original graphics quest with the colors all messed up and misused. ;)
I've got weeks in recoloring and tweaking them. :)

Zelda_Warrior
08-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm a pallette guy but not a layer guy...

Pallettes are second nature to me, but it's the layers that I have trouble with, although i'm getting pretty decent with layers now.

To answer someone's question that hasn't been answered yet...

TIPS TO BUILIDNG A QUEST FAST:

1. When you place enemies on the screen, use thje 'E' button on your keyboard instead of going into the menus.
2. Same with items, hit the 'I' button on your keyboard instyead of gonig into the menus.
3. When making dungeons, make the walls first (Template first) then add doors, then set the pallette, then add room irregularies (Non-boxed shaped rooms.) then add stuff like blocks, water, and lastly, add enemies and items, and also any flags you are going to use in the screen. (ike under-combos, layers, etc.)
4. When making overworlds, add the ground first, then set the pallette, then add mountains/hills/valleys, then add water and then foilage. Lastly, add enemies items, and flags that you will use. (Undercombos and stuff.)
5. Try to work fast, such as going through menus and stuff that dosen't have hotkeys. (For me, since I have been using zquest for a few years, I can work very fast, my mouse pointer flys through zquest.)
6. Plan the quest out on paper first, this will make it easier to build the quest, and you'll spend more time building the quest while in zquest than figuring out what to do next while in zquest.
7. When you first start making a quest, set the intitalization data, header, cheats, quest rules, the first dmap, the edning screen, maybe a different triforce layout, and your first screen first so you won't have to bother with it later. (Or forget to do it.)
8. Go to Alphadawg's tutorial and fidn a complete list of hotkeys and memorize them, this will help lots.
9. Last, but not least, try building the quest in order you would play through it, unless you feel differently (This saves time, but sometimes ends up with disastorus resuilts, it tends to make the final product more linear, if your making an open-ended type of quest, try not to focus too much on this step.)

This will help you make quests faster and ultimatley, better. If you build a quest fast, you can add little details in like secrets, screen details, etc. once you have the basics desgined.