PDA

View Full Version : A Party... Of One

carrot red
08-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Has anyone ever ventured to the movies alone? Or even dined alone in a restaurant? How many of you would feel strange and awkward to even contemplate such a notion?

I was having a discussion with a friend about how I would sometimes go to the cinema alone if no one else shared the same taste for a film I wanted to see, but that I would never consider dining alone in a restaurant. I think the general consensus must be that for a woman to dine alone is a social no-no. In fact, I cannot recall ever seeing any woman dine alone anywhere I’ve been except at a fast food joint.

Are you one to enjoy your own company? Or are you one who just has to have some company in order to go out?

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 01:13 PM
I say fuck it and go alone anyways

Prrkitty
08-23-2005, 01:17 PM
There's been many a time that I've seen a lady dining by herself. Last few times Paul and I have been to Appleby's ... for one place. Usually they're reading a book whilest they eat.

The 3 months that I lived alone, Oct 1993 - Jan 24, 1994... I'd go out by myself. I was always careful... of course. Unfortuantely in this day and age... a single lady has more to worry about if she's on her own. And that's honestly a shame.

I do like my own company. But I'm more happy in a small crowd then by myself. I guess I'm more a "social butterfly".

Beldaran
08-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I almost always go to the movies and out to eat by myself. It's rare that I'm with anyone, and even then it's usually my sister.

Starkist
08-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I started going to the movies alone last year. In the past, I would try and try to find someone who wanted to go with me. Finally I just decided that I would see what I wanted to see. As for dining, I will occasionally sit in a fast food place and read the newspaper or a book over a meal, but I would never actually dine out by myself.

ShadowTiger
08-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Interesting question. While it's occasionally nice to just spend some time alone, I don't see it getting that depressing at first, but that changes when you start to spend MOST of your time alone. Then again, some people like that.

Glitch
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I go out to eat by myself all the time. Cheaper that way.

moocow
08-23-2005, 02:14 PM
I hate doing things alone. There have been a few movies I've missed out on because I couldn't find someone to go with me. Lately, I take my sister with me just about everwhere go.

I have gone to a bar alone a couple of times. It's boring, but you tend to drink less and have a lot less fun. :(

Brasel
08-23-2005, 02:26 PM
I went to many a movie alone. Went to many restaraunts alone. Especially before I left for Iraq. I was stationed in Georgia, and all my loved ones or friends were back home in Illinois. Its really kinda hard for me to make friends, just because I have kind of a social anxiety problem. I don't enjoy being by myself at all, but the company of people I dont' know very well scares the shit out of me.

fatcatfan
08-23-2005, 04:35 PM
I've gone to the movies alone plenty of times. Doesn't bother me at all. I do feel awkward eating alone though. Usually I'll just get it to go and find someplace private to eat, or sit in the park.

Fiyerstorm
08-23-2005, 04:47 PM
I only do things alone only if it's something mandatory. Leisurely things such as the movies or dining out are useless for me to do alone.

This thread reminded about something that happened today. My friend and I were eating at the food court at school and then this other acquaintance who happens to not like me and my friend much was seen getting food alone. So we were yelling for him to sit with us and he ignored us. I don't think I'd force myself to solitude over a petty grudge. :O

AtmaWeapon
08-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Despite my current marital status, I have probably spent 99% of the past 3 years alone.

I never go to the movies alone because it is far cheaper to just rent a movie and if I'm by myself I don't see why I should go through the annoyances of the theater.

Restaurants are a different story. For fast food, I don't care whether I'm alone or with friends. However, the more fancy the restaurant gets, the less I like being alone. It's partially because of being alone and partially because I think it's impolite. For example, most Saturdays last year I'd eat at the P.F. Chang's in Knoxville. At about 6:00 PM, the building was packed and the wait would be 15 minutes, by 6:30 you'd wait 30 minutes for a seat. When I went, I'd try to arrive at about 5:15, so I wouldn't be wasting a 4-seat table when actual groups of people were wanting to sit.

The only advantage to eating alone is when waitresses flirt with you, but then it kind of makes me uncomfortable sometimes so there you go.

Ganonator
08-24-2005, 03:05 AM
spending over 2 months alone on the road and out of hotels means I ate every meal alone, and dined about half the time. I didn't feel awkward at all, and after awhile, it feels good to be on your own schedule, too.

I also have totally different tastes in movies than my friends, so I always go alone.

Beldaran
08-24-2005, 03:06 AM
I also have totally different tastes in movies than my friends, so I always go alone.

Same here. When I was in the band, they'd be like, "Dude let's go see [insert latest hollywood shit brick]!!" and I'd be like, "No. I don't want to go see MTV's latest marketing campaign poorly disguised as a movie."

Darth Marsden
08-24-2005, 04:49 AM
I'll often go to movies alone, then bitch about the price of popcorn to anyone who'll listen. Recently I've taken to just renting movies, although again I'll watch them on my own. Same with restraunts - I don't have a problem eating out alone, I'm quite happy to do it.

Drunken Tiger
08-24-2005, 08:48 AM
The only place i go alone is McDonalds and other fast food chains.. Im not a real fan of going ot the movies or dining out by myself.. I dont even like eating by myself at uni.. I tend to latch on to some one or a group... :p

Im so boring, need to entertain myself somehow..

MacWeirdo42
08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
I absolutely hate to do things alone. Especially watch movies. I've personally never been to a movie alone. Anthony, wow, I know exactly what you're talking about. This summer actually sucked very much, as a result of the fact that all of the few friends I do have up here had jobs, so therefore I had to spend many hours a day by myself. Ironically my (now ex) girlfriend is very much a loner, and in fact enjoy spending time by herself. Heh, frankly, I just don't get it. I mean sure, if you have to put up with it, and yeah, everyone needs a little time to themselves every now and then, but spending most of your time alone by choice? Just weird.

Darth Marsden
08-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Some people are just happy with their own company. I, for example, don't know vey many people IRL and tend to spend most, if not all, of my time on my own. I don't mind in the slightest, I'm quite happy in that respect. I have a very active imagination, so I'll happily spend hours dreaming of things that I know will never be. I'm into books, so I can spend days reading through my local library. I'll find dozens of ways to occupy my time - this is one of them.

I'm not really very social in reality, so that doesn't help. Besides, if I do hang out with people, I'm always the quiet one who hangs out in the back and doesn't say much. I guess I just prefer doing things my own way.

vegeta1215
08-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Somethings I don't mind doing alone, like shopping for instance. But I don't like to go to the movies or out to eat by myself.

I had a very small group of close friends in high school, but I don't get to see them much because they live in other states and/or travel a lot. Lately though, I've been trying to get in touch with some old friends from high school and college.

Battle Dragon
08-24-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm mostly a loner, so...

most of the stuff I do or go out to is by my self....

biggiy05
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
I have gone to the movies by self alot and I don't mind it saves me money and I can see what I want. As for dining alone I have only been to a few places where I have been alone.

slothman
08-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Some people are just happy with their own company. I, for example, don't know vey many people IRL and tend to spend most, if not all, of my time on my own. I don't mind in the slightest, I'm quite happy in that respect. I have a very active imagination, so I'll happily spend hours dreaming of things that I know will never be. ...

I'm not really very social in reality, so that doesn't help. Besides, if I do hang out with people, I'm always the quiet one who hangs out in the back and doesn't say much. I guess I just prefer doing things my own way.

I do the same thing. I don't like being alone so I just won't go. I might go to fast food places but that is only for takeout.
Oddly enough When I was eating lunch, not alone, I saw a woman by herself.

Darth Marsden
08-25-2005, 10:28 AM
How do you do the same thing? You don't quite explain. I actually quite enjoy my own company, so I guess we're not entirely alike.

carrot red
08-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Oddly enough When I was eating lunch, not alone, I saw a woman by herself.
That's not odd, slothman. Women often eat lunch alone or grab a late bite at a fast food joint, but you don't see many (I didn't anyway, but Prrkitty did) dining alone at a fancy restaurant.

*b*
08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
the only time I go to the movies alone is when nobody else in my family wants to see the movie that I want to, and if I pay for it (OMG, he sees movies with his family!? LOSER)

though with dinner, I ALWAYS eat with my family. we don't go out to eat much as it is, and since I don't have my driver's lisence, car, or a job, I can't go out on my own (DOUBLE LOSER)

Shadowblazer
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
As a married man, I pretty much have a companion to go to movies and dinner with whether I want one or not ;) Back when I was single though, I used to go to the movies by myself all the time. Dinner, on the other hand... if I'm by myself, I'm more likely to just go through a drive-thru and grab something to go eat at home. No point in sitting down at a restaurant when I can just go and watch TV while I eat.

Darth Marsden
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
As a married man, I pretty much have a companion to go to movies and dinner with whether I want one or not ;) Back when I was single though, I used to go to the movies by myself all the time. Dinner, on the other hand... if I'm by myself, I'm more likely to just go through a drive-thru and grab something to go eat at home. No point in sitting down at a restaurant when I can just go and watch TV while I eat. If I'm eating out, I'll usually grab a magazine to read while I do so. It may seem rude, but I just get bored otherwise. I would get drive-thrus, but I can't drive, so...

Rainman
08-26-2005, 10:18 PM
My brother is a virtual guarantee to go to eat or watch a movie so I'm hardly ever alone.

Daarkseid
08-27-2005, 01:16 AM
I don't go to the movies ever, unless somebody else wants to go and take me along. So in that situation I'm never alone, and I've never gone to the movies by myself.

Dining, however, I have done by myself. I rather like it, because I enjoy the atmosphere usually, but also not having to talk to anyone.

Foxy
08-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I've gone out on my own numerous times - to the movies once, to the mall a few times, and even out to eat. I don't prefer going to the movies alone because I like being able to share the experience with another person, but I generally don't mind being by myself. Growing up as an only child kind of gets you accustomed to it. When JJ and I first got married and we would be visiting his family (MUCH bigger than mine) I would have to go off by myself for a little while just to retain my sanity. I'm more used to it now, but solitude has always been peaceful and restoring for me.

Archibaldo
08-29-2005, 01:58 AM
I've been to the movies alone before. It's only awkward when I'm waiting for my parents pick me up from the theatre and I'm standing there alone.

As for eating alone, i do it quite often. I work at a restaurant, and when I'm on my break I eat alone at the bar. Some times the bar tender comes and talks to me.

Oh god I'm so lonely...

Machiavelli
08-29-2005, 02:07 AM
I've never been to the movies alone. I don't think I would mind being alone at the movies, though, because I hate people talking to me during a movie. I've never dined alone either. I'm more of a McDonalds kinda gal so if I'm alone, I'll just get my food and eat at home.

Great Warrior
08-29-2005, 02:30 AM
I have friends to go with to the movies, and when it is a movie they do not like to see, my girlfriend is there or i rarely go alone. Before having my girlfriend, i never went to a big scale restaurant by myself, it is useless to go alone to anything but fast food restaurants and everyone delivers.