PDA

View Full Version : Talking NPCs

Scotian Gold
08-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Bom dia, galleria...

I have seen in one of the tutorials that you can make pretty much any NPC speak by using direct warps, and it seems to be working ok for me. My question is this: Is there a way to CHANGE what the NPC says throughout the course of the game? For example:

Pre first triforce piece:
"Go into the dungeon, blah blah blah..."
Post first triforce piece:
"Well, aren't you special?!?"

A second less-elegant solution for me would be if the NPC said nothing until Link accomplished a task; might this be easier with flags, etc?

Muito obrigado,

Scotian Gold

Silvanoshea
08-23-2005, 09:05 AM
copy and paste the entire overworld and then once Link comes out of the dungeon have it linked to the 2nd overworld than the 1st. On the second change what the guy says. Worked for me.

Scotian Gold
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
It's an interesting idea...but is your game going to be pretty linear?

Let's say that you change your text (and overworld copy) at the completion of every level. So when they finish L1 some text changes, when they finish L2 some more text changes, etc. etc...but what if they finish L2 before L1? Won't they get 'credit' for finishing L1 on the overworld copy for completing L2?

Desculpe, it's a complex problem so my reply is a bit complicated!

Scotian Gold

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I KNOW there is a way to do this without 'copying the whole overworld' Isle Of The Winds does this without copying the whole overoworld I THINK anyways in that quest.

The problem is, if you copy the whole overworld, you WILL run into problems. Let's say on oen screen you have a bunch of bushes, and hidden under one is 20 rupees. Now, when you copy the overworld, should you put in the secret or remove it? You have no idea if the player would accidently or purposly find the money, so if you put the secret in the copied overworld, the player can find another 20 rupees. But if you don't put the secret in, the player will never have a chance to find it, and it will look more like a bug than something done on purpose.

I want to know how to do something like that, too, but I don't know how.

Scotian Gold
08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Gente...I am halfway through buiding a tileset of monospaced text which can be used as a layer for any screen. To get the text to appear and disappear it is fairly simple - just put instant warps in front of the NPC so you warp to an identical screen with the text; on this screen have the warps that lead back to the original screen surrounding Link so when he moves away from the NPC, he warps and *poof* the text disappears! What is nice about this technique is that you don't need any Guys...Link can talk to a rock in the Overworld if you want him to.

Now here's where I would like some advice. I would like the townspeople to IGNORE Link until he accomplishes something, like getting a piece of the triforce. Can this be accomplished with secret combos; not allowing the warp until a certain thing has been done?

Another thing that would be ok would be if the overworld houses were closed and then after Link does something important, the doors open so that he can go inside and talk to people.

For me, neither of these things can be accomplished with multiple overworlds because I hope my quest will not be linear enough to allow for this.

Remember that with my technique I do not need to use Guys.

BTW, where do NPCs talk in Isle of Winds? I see a lot of them standing around outside but none talk...or is it the Guys in the houses that change what they say after some time?

Obrigado,

Scotian Gold

Zelda_Warrior
08-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Scotian, even your technique requires guys, they're just invisible, unless it's in a 'level' number other than 1 and the dmap type is cave or dungeon, then tere's a guy, you just can't see them.

Lots of people use your insta-warp technique, it's very useful.

In Isle Of The Winds, talk to your sister before you complete the first level, then talk to them after you complete the first level. She says different things everytime you complete a dungeon.

I used Isle Of The Winds as an example becasue it's very open-ended and of course uses the people saying different things idea.

(w00t, 550 posts!)

Scotian Gold
08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
No ZW (can I call you ZW? :D ), my technique doesn't require Guys...any old sprite or rock or tree will do...it simply uses insta-warps to screens with and without text to simulate Link getting into a conversation when he approaches someone/something. Because my text is tile/combo based I just have to put it on a layer/screen above the base level(s). I am not using Guys, Strings, or A buttons!

So now that this has been said, I'll quote my needs below again so people don't have to search for it:

Now here's where I would like some advice. I would like the townspeople to IGNORE Link until he accomplishes something, like getting a piece of the triforce. Can this be accomplished with secret combos; not allowing the warp until a certain thing has been done?

Another thing that would be ok would be if the overworld houses were closed and then after Link does something important, the doors open so that he can go inside and talk to people.

For me, neither of these things can be accomplished with multiple overworlds because I hope my quest will not be linear enough to allow for this.

Remember that with my technique I do not need to use Guys.

Obrigado, e boa noite!

Scotian Gold

Freedom
08-24-2005, 01:14 AM
ok.... you can use boss flags and level numbers to make secrets happen on separate screens.

If I complete a bonus level that I've given a level 10 number to, then I can have warp tiles appear hidden in front of npc's under a ground tile, so only after beating the level will they talk to link.

Give the overworld area a side warp so that section has the same level number as the bonus dungeon so when defeating the level it triggers some secret on the overworld as well.

You do this by setting a boss flag on every screen where you want another secret to appear.
On all of the secret screens you set boss flag, enemies=secret, a trigger enemy, and no secret sounds, and then of course add the secret (warp tile) in secret combos, and place your flag.

Once the boss in the level is defeated then all those screens marked with a boss flag will trigger when you enter them, as the "trigger" enemy dies.

Scotian Gold
08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Sounds doable, Freedom - but I might need your help again when I get to that stage; gotta layout the maps and screens first!

Obrigado pela ajuda,

Scotian Gold

Freedom
08-24-2005, 10:22 AM
better keep in mind how it works before setting up a "stage" so you don't have to go back changing a lot of stuff ;)

Zelda_Warrior
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Lol, okay, so you DONT need guys 0_o

My question is, how do you kill a 'trigger' enemy, Deos it automaticly die when Link enters teh screen?

Valientlink
08-24-2005, 01:56 PM
lolly pops kidney

Freedom
08-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Lol, okay, so you DONT need guys 0_o

My question is, how do you kill a 'trigger' enemy, Deos it automaticly die when Link enters teh screen?

when you defeat the boss, if you have must kill all bosses checked in rules, then the triggers will die when you enter those screens.
You can also use kill all enemy items to give a person a token or something instead of having them fight an actual boss enemy.

Zelda_Warrior
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Ty, I figured it out.

VEL
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
lolly pops kidney
Please read the rules (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=78500)! Spamming is against the rules so don't do it.

Zelda_Warrior
08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Lol what a great extremly off-topic post..

Anyways, I tried it in ZC and it dosen't work. I thought it did, but it only works sometimes.

Freedom
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
It works every time, when you set it up right every time.
it's easy to mess up because there are a lot of steps involved, and missing one will stop it from working right every time. ;)

Zelda_Warrior
08-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I figured out that it's set up right, just that it was something I did that didn't make it work the secon time.

NOW I have it all figured out

Valientlink
08-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Please read the rules (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=78500)! Spamming is against the rules so don't do it. Im sorry I forget and when I say things I always want people to laugh I just read the rules and I'm afraid I could have broken rules in other places. :scared: :( :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :cry: :banghead:

Zelda_Warrior
08-26-2005, 03:27 PM
You should've read the rules before posting...>_<

Also how is that even remotley funny?! The thing I find funny about it is that you actually posted it without second thoughts :scared:

Valientlink
09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Ok lets see if you can find the secret. SU! ^